Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Glad we won but 2 more weeks of Purdy hate is gonna suck.

Going into games, I usually think the niners will win. But I suspect KC wins this one. Mainly because I have zero faith in Wilks after this game that the D did pretty much nothing but the opposing HC kept self-owning. So, I guess the D did just enough to win.

I think Detroit punted one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I get people are pissed at Wilks but the defense was still very good this year. Guys as good as Demeco don't just grow on trees, that's why he got poached after two seasons. I'd just as soon wait for Saleh to get fired next year and bring him back then change defensive schemes three years in a row.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://x.com/19problemz/status/1751867410100170815?s=20

Go Niners never in doubt

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

I get people are pissed at Wilks but the defense was still very good this year. Guys as good as Demeco don't just grow on trees, that's why he got poached after two seasons. I'd just as soon wait for Saleh to get fired next year and bring him back then change defensive schemes three years in a row.

I think the defense was okay but looks great on paper because they were frequently playing from well ahead and got to play against one-dimensional offenses. Their run defense has fallen off a cliff compared to the last couple years.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Scooby-Doo meme where Fred rips the blue ski mask off CJGJ and it’s Eli Apple underneath

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Leperflesh posted:

lol go niners

just caught up with the thread and all the people giving up at halftime were very silly because you forgot that random funny poo poo happens in football all the time

Niners winning is not funny at all :colbert:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

49ers fans who gave up at half should not be allowed to watch the superbowl nor celebrate a victory :colbert:

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

Glad we won but 2 more weeks of Purdy hate is gonna suck.

Going into games, I usually think the niners will win. But I suspect KC wins this one. Mainly because I have zero faith in Wilks after this game that the D did pretty much nothing but the opposing HC kept self-owning. So, I guess the D did just enough to win.

I think Detroit punted one time.

Nah, I think you got this. Unlike Baltimore I doubt the 49ers will neglect the run game against the Chiefs.

As much as I hate to say it about the 49ers, its about time they get another Superbowl win. They had the team that had the talent to do it for years, hopefully they don't Bills away their window.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
lmao at the Niners doomposters. You could see that Detroit collapse coming from a mile off. It's Jared Goff!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Papercut posted:

I think the defense was okay but looks great on paper because they were frequently playing from well ahead and got to play against one-dimensional offenses. Their run defense has fallen off a cliff compared to the last couple years.

I wonder what the before/after Hufanga injury numbers look like. That was a fairly big blow that often gets ignored because he is a safety.

Wilks runs an old-school, vanilla defense. It's easy to pick apart because the QB is rarely confused by what they are doing. He doesn't belong in the modern NFL. The 49ers have a ton of talent on D. They should be dominant. The fact that they aren't is due to scheme.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I was watching the game highlights. Seems like a lot of the big runs were pulled off because the defense didn’t hold their gaps.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Papercut posted:

Pete Carroll's entire career has been based on his work on defense, to the point where he has a coaching tree of defensive guys currently spread around the NFL, one of whom was even so successful as a DC for SF that he got a head coaching job. The idea that Carroll is bad at defense is wild to me, he sure didn't make 2 straight SBs because he's an offensive guru.

One of the main reasons he was fired is because his defense has been bad for half a decade despite investing much FA $ and draft picks.

Pete had his LOB run for the ~four years when he had a bunch of hall of famers and *almost* hall of famers on rookie contracts. When that was gone he struggled to put together a decent defense.

E: made it less snippy

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 29, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As I said during the game. Wilks didn't prepare properly. Detroit did exactly what they have been doing, nothing was a surprise. But Wilks didn't do anything to counter it. On ther other side of the ball, Detroit focused on taking the run game away and it worked in the first half. It made the 49ers one-dimensional. If Wilks had just done something similar, it's likely Goof would have been Goofing the whole game long.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

shirts and skins posted:

lmao at the Niners doomposters. You could see that Detroit collapse coming from a mile off. It's Jared Goff!

It's funny because it wasn't really Goff. Goff was failed.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

One of the main reasons he was fired is because his defense has been bad for half a decade despite investing much FA $ and draft picks.

Pete had his LOB run for the ~four years when he had a bunch of hall of famers and *almost* hall of famers on rookie contracts. When that was gone he struggled to put together a decent defense.

E: made it less snippy

As opposed to the Niners defense, where he'd be coaching all pros at every position group.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Papercut posted:

As opposed to the Niners defense, where he'd be coaching all pros at every position group.

???

I don’t know what you are getting at. You said you wanted the niners to give Pete a godfather offer to coach your defense. Presumably to make them better.

I responded that Pete isn’t a good defensive coach. The majority of his decade+ tenure in the nfl is proof of that. Especially the most relevant modern history.

You responded that Pete is a good defensive coach because of something that happened over 10 years ago.

Then we eventually get the point where you make a comment about the all pro talent on the niners defense.

I don’t know what you are trying to communicate.

If you want the defense to be better, fire Wilks and hire a good DC. Pete is not that guy:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think the 49ers should hire Belichick as their DC. Just throw him in a room and tell him to figure it out and that he doesn't have to talk to the media ever.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

???

I don’t know what you are getting at. You said you wanted the niners to give Pete a godfather offer to coach your defense. Presumably to make them better.

I responded that Pete isn’t a good defensive coach. The majority of his decade+ tenure in the nfl is proof of that. Especially the most relevant modern history.

You responded that Pete is a good defensive coach because of something that happened over 10 years ago.

Then we eventually get the point where you make a comment about the all pro talent on the niners defense.

I don’t know what you are trying to communicate.

If you want the defense to be better, fire Wilks and hire a good DC. Pete is not that guy:

Pete is a very good defensive coach. You keep talking about how he can't "build" a defense, which 1) ignores the long successful career he's had doing just that, and 2) he wouldn't need to do in SF because they're already loaded. The reason I mention their all-pros is because you say he only succeeded because he had a bunch of hall of famers, and this Niners defense has a few guys who have a *very* good chance of being HoFers.

This is all moot though because he'd never take the job, it'll forever be a theoretical.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Papercut posted:

Pete is a very good defensive coach. You keep talking about how he can't "build" a defense, which 1) ignores the long successful career he's had doing just that, and 2) he wouldn't need to do in SF because they're already loaded. The reason I mention their all-pros is because you say he only succeeded because he had a bunch of hall of famers, and this Niners defense has a few guys who have a *very* good chance of being HoFers.

This is all moot though because he'd never take the job, it'll forever be a theoretical.

Pete is observably and categorically not a very good nfl defensive coach.

The metric I’m using is “how good were his defenses over his nfl career”.

You are the one ignoring the data of his long career.

If he’s a good defensive coach then why have his Seahawk defenses been bad for so long, despite investing so many resources into it?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Strong Sauce posted:

I was watching the game highlights. Seems like a lot of the big runs were pulled off because the defense didn’t hold their gaps.

Yeah, they get too wide. It’s been an issue all year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think part of why the Lions are hard to deal with on defense is that they have both a run game and a pass game. Like that sounds idiotic because it's so simple, but for example when they're cracking open the DL with giant gaps, the normal thing to do is bring in help to fill the gaps with a linebacker or three. But when you have to cover St. Brown, Williams, and LaPorta on every play, you can't afford to load the box. So the whole first half was a demonstration of what happens when a really good run game with great OL blocking is complemented with an explosive passing game with receivers who can beat man to man coverage and a QB who can hit them 50 yards away.

Except of course that Goff isn't as accurate as you'd like, and I think also that OL gets tired. One not very mentioned aspect of the SF defense that I think we've seen a lot of the last couple games is their endurance. Particularly at the line. They're putting pressure on Goff in the fourth quarter, they've got the energy to keep doing that on their tenth defensive drive of the game, where a lot of OLs and evidently the one run blocking for the Lions hasn't got the ability to keep creating giant holes or especially maintain excellent pocket protection for an entire game. Once Goff started getting sacked the game was over because he rushed his passes and his coach refuses to take game-tying field goals and the offense gradually fell apart.

On the flip side it's great to have a QB like Purdy who doesn't seem to panic. His one interception was on a play where his arm got hit, and the rest of his 2nd half play was calm, accurate, and effective.

The game still could have gone either way. That aiyuk helmet-bounce TD is a fluke of course, the lions could have been one yard shorter on that 4th where they needed a field goal to tie and maybe coach takes the field goal, etc. etc. but that's what high level football between two good teams is like, really.

I'm glad we're up against the chiefs for the super bowl. I was more worried about the psychology of going up against the ravens that beat us a few weeks ago. "We can't stop Lamar" is kinda in the back of the heads of everyone on defense, but while Mahomes is Mahomes, I feel like the SF defensive scheme is better set up to deal with double-teaming Kelce, controlling Pacheco, and then just doing its normal thing.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The Niners do not have all-pros at every defensive position group. At safety, Hufanga is very good but not quite at that level (yet, I hope); more importantly, the corners are very much a weakness, and they have been for years. It’s largely opposite from the LoB, where the corners and safeties were the heart of the group, and then they also had some good LBs, but (IIRC) the DL was comparatively not that hot.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

rjmccall posted:

The Niners do not have all-pros at every defensive position group. At safety, Hufanga is very good but not quite at that level (yet, I hope); more importantly, the corners are very much a weakness, and they have been for years. It’s largely opposite from the LoB, where the corners and safeties were the heart of the group, and then they also had some good LBs, but (IIRC) the DL was comparatively not that hot.

Hufonga was an all-pro last year, Ward was an all-pro this year, Warner is a multi-time all-pro, Bosa is a multi-time all-pro. They literally have all-pros at every defensive position group.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Leperflesh posted:

On the flip side it's great to have a QB like Purdy who doesn't seem to panic. His one interception was on a play where his arm got hit, and the rest of his 2nd half play was calm, accurate, and effective.

The game still could have gone either way. That aiyuk helmet-bounce TD is a fluke of course, the lions could have been one yard shorter on that 4th where they needed a field goal to tie and maybe coach takes the field goal, etc. etc. but that's what high level football between two good teams is like, really.

Purdy looked pretty uncomfortable in the first half so I don’t know that you fans at he’s immune to panic. He seems to be pretty good at mentally resetting and moving on from bad plays though, and he was very poised in what I saw of the second half.

As far as Campbell not “taking” the points: their kicker is not at all automatic, he misses about 75% at those ranges. Additionally the Lions are very good at converting short yardage generally. The game was where it was in part because they went for it on 4th earlier and converted. If they get a TD on either of those drives it’s obviously a very different game. The models support the decision and it also aligns with the Lions identity all year long. They didn’t lose because of two play calls that didn’t work out, they lost because of an entire half of things going wrong on both sides of the ball. Football is tough that way. If you can go up 24-7 in a half then your opponent can sure as poo poo close that gap in a half.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Barnwell's breakdown of Campbell's decisions is quite good. It is a longer version of the above ^
https://archive.ph/e6Um4

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I basically agree with that assessment, my point was more that a game that is won by three or four points is a game where you can't just point at one specific play and say "that's why they lost." There are a bunch of inflection points throughout the game where one or the other team could have scored or not scored due to a single moment in one play, and each of them is just as important as whichever one came last in the game. We tend to focus on the last one because it's the "last chance" to win, but that's just recency bias.

I think Purdy looking uncomfortable in the first half was because the plays weren't working - but he wasn't making desperation throws or trying to force things, which is what desperate QBs start doing. Even when he was putting the ball up while on the run from pressure he was still putting it fairly accurately where he wanted it to go and giving a receiver a shot at it. Coming into the second half with some level of confidence that they can still win the game without a bunch of super high risk plays is key. He wasn't rushing to the line, and actually now I think about it the whole team was avoiding dumb costly penalties that you tend to get when they get into desperation mode and that partially comes from the QB's energy too. False starts, offensive holding, and especially defensive pass interference all tend to happen more when your team is down a lot and you feel like you 100% must succeed right now on this play or it's over.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Leperflesh posted:

I think Purdy looking uncomfortable in the first half was because the plays weren't working - but he wasn't making desperation throws or trying to force things, which is what desperate QBs start doing. Even when he was putting the ball up while on the run from pressure he was still putting it fairly accurately where he wanted it to go and giving a receiver a shot at it.

I’ll have to wait until someone throws the whole game up on YouTube but my recollection is he looked rushed and often inaccurate and made at least one very questionable throw down the sideline directly to a Lions defender that probably should have been an interception.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’ll have to wait until someone throws the whole game up on YouTube but my recollection is he looked rushed and often inaccurate and made at least one very questionable throw down the sideline directly to a Lions defender that probably should have been an interception.

If you're talking about the throw I think you are, he threw that OOB. The defender would have had to be 8' tall and have incredible hands.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

That throw on the run across his body to Jennings was the one throw where I was like wtf brock stop it

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Papercut posted:

Hufonga was an all-pro last year, Ward was an all-pro this year, Warner is a multi-time all-pro, Bosa is a multi-time all-pro. They literally have all-pros at every defensive position group.

You’re right, I always forget about Ward because the drop-off after him is so huge.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Coldforge posted:

If you're talking about the throw I think you are, he threw that OOB. The defender would have had to be 8' tall and have incredible hands.

No, this one.

https://www.tiktok.com/@coversclubchris/video/7329303087804321054

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Superbowl will be won or lost by the Niners DL. That's my early take on the game.

Offense will do their part.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the commenter on that is a dumbass. He got there simultaneous to the ball, which isn't PI. And that pass isn't Brock being stupid or even particularly inaccurate, it's just a jump ball in single coverage that sailed an extra couple of yards, same as you'd throw to any of a dozen WR1s in the league.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Fair. That's not a good throw. In defense of his decision making, Purdy puts a lot of trust in Aiyuk, and I think that's justified by the way Aiyuk breaks it up, and then that miraculous catch later. He's trying to let Aiyuk make a play.

That looks more like good defense and probably not a great throw, than it does rattled and bad decision.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tom Brady put throws like that up for Mike Evans every game and nobody criticized it. Aiyuk isn't as tall and dominant in 1:1 as Evans and Brock Purdy isn't Tom Brady, but he's the WR1 and you really actually should give marginal shots like that a few times a game, even at the risk of an INT. It's how you build an offense capable of explosive giant passing plays.

I think it's at very least arguable and not evidence that the QB is desperate or making bad decisions due to pressure.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
To be fair to purdy, at this point in his career he is much much better than Brady was at the same point.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

the commenter on that is a dumbass. He got there simultaneous to the ball, which isn't PI. And that pass isn't Brock being stupid or even particularly inaccurate, it's just a jump ball in single coverage that sailed an extra couple of yards, same as you'd throw to any of a dozen WR1s in the league.

I’m not posting the commentary, I’m posting the play. It’s a throw right to the defender, I’m not sure how it’s not a bad play. Whether you call it a bad decision or a bad throw is clearly bad when the receiver has to turn into a DB to break up a pass. If Jared Goff makes that throw you get about 5 straight pages of JARED GOOF in the GDT so let’s not pretend that Purdy is unique in getting criticized for throwing the ball right at a defender.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Purdy always throws with anticipation of where his receivers will be, I think he just slightly misjudged Aiyuk’s speed on that one. If BA was a step faster he def could have caught that against single coverage. It looked bad but I’m not mad about it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m not posting the commentary, I’m posting the play. It’s a throw right to the defender, I’m not sure how it’s not a bad play. Whether you call it a bad decision or a bad throw is clearly bad when the receiver has to turn into a DB to break up a pass. If Jared Goff makes that throw you get about 5 straight pages of JARED GOOF in the GDT so let’s not pretend that Purdy is unique in getting criticized for throwing the ball right at a defender.

It was definitely a bad throw, unless something happened earlier in the route that we can't see on broadcast, like Aiyuk stumbled or something after the throw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

feller posted:

That throw on the run across his body to Jennings was the one throw where I was like wtf brock stop it

Mahomes gets called a genius for bullshit like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oZ-aCvxI24