Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It’s fine I’ll keep drinking that garbage!

My wife and I were excited for this episode, as we enjoyed the first 2, but this one was a miss for me. Not enough episodes to have one that’s 40 minutes of filler, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Origami Dali posted:

I had to turn this off and decided to check out Monsieur Spade and that was the right choice.

I actually kinda like this season but Monsieur Spade is definitely the truer detective of the two shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Monsieur Spade is pretty great, yeah.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I posted about this in the chat thread, so if you already saw my recommendation there you might think I'm some crazed superfan. But I actually do think you should check out Monsieur Spade if you want a season of True Detective mixed with The Last of Us.

Dumb name, I concede. And it probably won't satisfy a hunger for a proper TD season. But the first episode does end with a group of nuns shot through the head and then arranged in a macabre prayer circle. There's also supernatural (or is it?) at play but the main character seems to suspect it's something more mundane. Oh and there's a brutal home invasion scene.

It has 75% on RT which seems low but actually yeah I figure 3/4 people would quite like it. The most recent episode may be the best one but the pilot should be enough to give you a feel.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 29, 2024

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
So after Pete correctly --in what I thought was a well-written part-- said you can't just crack a password protected phone, he shows up at the hospital and says "I cracked it" so the plot can move forward. As a Season 2 defender, I want to give this season a fair shake, but it's really making it hard for me!

I don't want to obsess over this one detail because there are bigger plotting/character issues, but Danvers being ignorant enough about technology that she thinks he can crack any phone because he had one good idea on using Face ID to unlock the scientist's, and then him being like "....what, no, I'm not a hacker or forensic tech guy" is pretty good writing. And then it's completely undercut by making Danvers right without explanation.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 29, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought this was pretty good? It's the moment in the story where the two demonstrate an actual interest in each other's hidden interior lives, and even though they're jabbing away as usual (aggression's their self-defense mechanism) the questions are coming from a place of genuine interest rather than their typical desire to assert themselves and get their licks in e.g. Navarro's mean joke earlier about Danvers having such a great sexual appetite that she'd try to gently caress her stepson.

It's the moment when I really bought them as being a good team.

sure but it was cringe and/or sounded like it was written by AI or [insert extremely lazy / bland / boring / generic unfalsifiable criticism here]

lol I will never understand the goon way of not only watching a show you don't like / don't care about, but feeling the need to post about how little you care about it.

Now this is good criticism:

Snowmanatee posted:

So after Pete correctly --in what I thought was a well-written part-- said you can't just crack a password protected phone, he shows up at the hospital and says "I cracked it" so the plot can move forward. As a Season 2 defender, I want to give this season a fair shake, but it's really making it hard for me!

I don't want to obsess over this one detail because there are bigger plotting/character issues, but Danvers being ignorant enough about technology that she thinks he can crack any phone because he had one good idea on using Face ID to unlock the scientist's, and then him being like "....what, no, I'm not a hacker or forensic tech guy" is pretty good writing. And then it's completely undercut by making Danvers right without explanation.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

I find this show just OK but HBO/WBD did it a disservice by having it be True Detective. If it was whatever López originally wrote with Jodie Foster in it people would have checked it out if only for Jodie Foster. Like I want to watch whatever The Regime will be just for Kate Winslet as a dictator.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I really wanted to like this show but it really feels like it's only gotten less interesting since the first episode even though the first episode felt like mostly setup

Also I feel like the first episode or two already exhausted most of the interestingness of the setting

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My wife and I watch a lot of Very Bad TV and this season definitely isn't that. I'm still looking forward to watching it on Sunday nights and then listening to my podcasts about it throughout the week / talking about it.

However, the thing that's making me check out is the fact that it's a MYSTERY show that wants us to try to follow the "clues" along with the detectives, but at the same time is showing us a bunch of stuff that IF REAL, means something 100% supernatural is going on, or if PERCEIVED REAL means that everyone in the town is sharing some sort of collective delusion / psychotic break due to the microbe/toxin contaminated water (most likely), or if it's NOT REAL just wasting our time for the sake of it.

None of those options really do anything for me in the context of a detective show, and I can't imagine a "rational" explanation outside of those mentioned that could possibly be satisfying.

It's all real = a ghost or whatever did it, who cares

It's all in people's heads = who cares

We're not going to address the "supernatural" elements at all: what the gently caress

However, I'm going to remain hopeful ... that they either pull it off or it's a glorious trainwreck that makes no sense in retrospect. I'll happily receive either.

e: I'm thinking about the old BBC Sherlock Holmes series where there would often be something that appeared "impossible" or supernatural, and by the end of the show/mystery they'd lay out in a very clever way EXACTLY how the suspect pulled everything off etc. leaving you going "oh wow, neat that makes sense". I don't think we'll be getting anything like that.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 29, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The central mystery is now who the "her" they woke up is, assuming she did infact do the murders. I hope it's like a hosed up looking ancient wendigo lady thing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fullroundaction posted:

I rewound to make sure I wasn’t crazy, but why is Twist and Shout playing in Danver’s refrigerator.

It happened, it was on the subtitles

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Blue Nation posted:

I find this show just OK but HBO/WBD did it a disservice by having it be True Detective. If it was whatever López originally wrote with Jodie Foster in it people would have checked it out if only for Jodie Foster. Like I want to watch whatever The Regime will be just for Kate Winslet as a dictator.

This is my take as well. There is no way they will have a satisfying connection to s1. I am like 80% certain that 5 months from now we will have a tell all interview from Issa Lopez on all the crap the execs forced on the show to make it true detective. This a solid b-tier show. Honestly, not that far off from Mare of Eastown or any of these other one off crime stories. Its just that HBO saddled it with "is this the season where true detective recaptures the s1 magic?"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wonder if the original show title was just Night Country.

Remove the spiral, Tuttles, and Travis and there's no connection at all to S1 so far, so guess we'll see if anything else shows up. Maybe the ex prostitute Marty was cheating with appears and says wow I used to know Travis's son's former partner, Marty Hart, isn't that incredible?

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

I don't care at all about the title containing the words "True Detective" but am rolling my eyes at actually trying to tie it to season 1 with Tuttle and the spiral. But having just rewatched the first season, the worst connection so far is the partners having a secret where they killed a guy in the heat of the moment after coming across a horrific crime scene. It's not an interesting thematic repetition just....repetition.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

It happened, it was on the subtitles

it's a trigger phrase, you fools

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cranappleberry posted:

it's a trigger phrase, you fools

I suddenly want to play a game of solitaire

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Snowmanatee posted:

I don't care at all about the title containing the words "True Detective" but am rolling my eyes at actually trying to tie it to season 1 with Tuttle and the spiral. But having just rewatched the first season, the worst connection so far is the partners having a secret where they killed a guy in the heat of the moment after coming across a horrific crime scene. It's not an interesting thematic repetition just....repetition.

This is a world where nothing is solved. Someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything we’ve ever done or will do, we’re gonna do over and over and over again.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't think its just the crammed references that do it disservice. A massive part of S1 was the "is it supernatural or not" question. Meanwhile, in Tigers are not afraid the supernatural is just treated as magical realism, it just is. So people come into this season trying to have the same "is this supernatural or is there a reasonable explanation" mindset as season 1 when I think it is much more of a "spirits are real" type of story.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

Wonder if the original show title was just Night Country.

Remove the spiral, Tuttles, and Travis and there's no connection at all to S1 so far, so guess we'll see if anything else shows up. Maybe the ex prostitute Marty was cheating with appears and says wow I used to know Travis's son's former partner, Marty Hart, isn't that incredible?

Alexandra Daddario appears in an attempt at a backdoor pilot teasing the premise of season five: the return of all the characters whose actors would agree to come back.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Failson Tony Chessani became mayor at the end of Season 2 right? Maybe by now he's governor of California and part of the secret Tuttle empire. (do not let goons write season 5)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The chupacabra talk, a cryptid whose origins date back to Puerto Rico in the 90s, really made me cringe.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hard agree that this should have just been it's own thing, separate from the expectation of 'True Detective', but that it's fine so far. The writing is fine, and it's fine if it isn't griping you. Not every show can be Deadwood.

my bony fealty posted:

The central mystery is now who the "her" they woke up is, assuming she did infact do the murders. I hope it's like a hosed up looking ancient wendigo lady thing.

It sure seems like they're leading up to a "scientists are making a pollutant that drives you mad" reveal, but if they go full "no Annie became a eldritch Yeti beast and is getting her revenge" I would be on board. Will be way more interesting if they come up with a different logical reason than pollutants/bacteria in ice as to why so many people are having vivid hallucinations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

CatstropheWaitress posted:

why so many people are having vivid hallucinations.

The EXACT SAME vivid hallucinations, at that. I'm not a brain doctor but I assume that's extremely unlikely/uncommon outside of fiction.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

pig labeled 3 posted:

This is a world where nothing is solved. Someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything we’ve ever done or will do, we’re gonna do over and over and over again.

As someone who watches Oak Island, this checks out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
After a while the hints at the cosmic/supernatural stuff become grating if they never get paid off. Like, at some point you're gonna need to actually zap someone across the galaxy to Carcosa or what's even the point of it all?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Good news, this is a self contained series of six episodes!

Wouldn't expect them to pay off any of that stuff til the penultimate or last ones.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

ruddiger posted:

The chupacabra talk, a cryptid whose origins date back to Puerto Rico in the 90s, really made me cringe.
On the other hand, "choompa loompa" got a belly laugh from me.

The Ringer, in a rare bit of helpfulness, gave me some context I was missing on Pete's son's drawing from the first episode:

from wiki posted:

Sedna (Inuktitut: ᓴᓐᓇ Sanna, previously Sedna or Sidne) is the goddess of the sea and marine animals in Inuit mythology, also known as the Mother of the Sea or Mistress of the Sea. The story of Sedna, which is a creation myth, describes how she came to rule over Adlivun, the Inuit underworld

In one legend Sedna is a giant, the daughter of the creator-god Anguta, with a great hunger that causes her to attack her parents. Angered, Anguta takes her out to sea and throws her over the side of his kayak. As she clings to the sides, he chops off her fingers and she sinks to the underworld, becoming the ruler of the monsters of the deep. Her huge fingers become the seals, walruses, and whales hunted by the Inuit.

In another version of the legend, she is dissatisfied with men found for her by her father and so marries a dog. Her father is so angry at this that he throws her into the sea and, when she tries to climb back into the boat, he cuts off her fingers. Her fingers become the first seals and she becomes a mighty sea goddess.
It, for better or worse, seems more directly tied to the season's mysticism than the green eared spaghetti monster of S1.

I can see conclusions (of varying satisfaction) ranging from Sedna's real and the scientists opened Adlivun (making them, not Silver Star, responsible for the state of the water) to a militant Sedna cult purging their land of outsiders (note that our three most pivotal deaths prior to the corpiscle were all Iñupiaq who had relationships with outsiders) - with the ambiguous possibility that they truly are receiving supernatural help - to the well worn "microbes in the ice causing insanity and playing on the collective unconscious", especially as those we've been shown to see hallucinations are well-versed in the mythos (stretching a bit for the pilot's hallucinations, chalking up the delivery guy's girl in the distance to general American horror and the scientists to what they were taught by their equipment guy before he hosed off to the nomad camp).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
This episode was interesting but the story doesn't seem to be speeding up. We get why the leading women don't like each other (I mean covering that up would cause tension, doesn't matter who did it). We look closer in why being a native in the area is loving awful. We learn almost zero.

The leading women hate abusers and have a ton of experience with them. Danvers also has a thing for people being abused not speaking up for themselves, victim blame etc. The dad cop is giving me sneaky dangerous vibes while masking it as a meek quiet type. Its 100% sickness from the ice story that as a fluke exposes a covered up old murder that has nothing to do with it. Dad cop gets exposed as a murderer and a sex pest, son pulls the trigger, danvers dies in a pool of her own blood finally showing signs of being human/likeable before the dark takes her. The end. The flat circle is just people doing evil poo poo and its on a cave drawing. Turns out we were poo poo from the start!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

On the other hand, "choompa loompa" got a belly laugh from me.

The Ringer, in a rare bit of helpfulness, gave me some context I was missing on Pete's son's drawing from the first episode:

It, for better or worse, seems more directly tied to the season's mysticism than the green eared spaghetti monster of S1.

I can see conclusions (of varying satisfaction) ranging from Sedna's real and the scientists opened Adlivun (making them, not Silver Star, responsible for the state of the water) to a militant Sedna cult purging their land of outsiders (note that our three most pivotal deaths prior to the corpiscle were all Iñupiaq who had relationships with outsiders) - with the ambiguous possibility that they truly are receiving supernatural help - to the well worn "microbes in the ice causing insanity and playing on the collective unconscious", especially as those we've been shown to see hallucinations are well-versed in the mythos (stretching a bit for the pilot's hallucinations, chalking up the delivery guy's girl in the distance to general American horror and the scientists to what they were taught by their equipment guy before he hosed off to the nomad camp).

Interestingly Sedna as a real entity plays a major role in the backstory to The Terror, though I think the TV adaptation dropped that entirely.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

my bony fealty posted:

Show is OK, Jody Foster is good, ice horror is always good, being so explicit with the spirals and stuff is whatever but Season 1 is so great that I'll take it.

My main complaint is the opening song which is incredibly god loving awful and out of place. Wtf.

I remember people saying this about season 2 of The Leftovers before I watched it so I no longer give it purchase

Danger fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 29, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was about to abandon this thread full of pessimism, until it showed me that Monsieur Spade exists and now all is forgiven.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Also I'm sorry but Jodie Foster as horny racist cop is also so good.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Danger posted:

I remember people saying this about season 2 of The Leftovers before I watched it so I no longer give it purchase

The greatest season of television to ever air

grobbo
May 29, 2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

Alexandra Daddario appears in an attempt at a backdoor pilot teasing the premise of season five: the return of all the characters whose actors would agree to come back.

no, no, no, it was Lili Simmons' character who offered Marty a backdoor pilot.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

fullroundaction posted:

The greatest season of television to ever air

Yes strong agree. I was specifically meaning the opening song.

Also one of my favorite tviv threads to revisit as it goes from there and impatient cynicism to rapt awe.

Danger fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 29, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have the TD season 1 thread bookmarked? Would love to check that out if it's still out there somewhere.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Does anyone have the TD season 1 thread bookmarked? Would love to check that out if it's still out there somewhere.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602139&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I enjoyed True Detective season 1 when I watched it a couple months ago but I guess from the buzz I was expecting Twin Peaks levels of melding the weirdness with a police procedural. Especially since the killing starts with a satanist angle. Then in the end its.... sort of implied that dark forces are at work in the universe, but in a philosophical sense (though I'm not totally sure what I mean by that given that the existence of the supernatural would have philosophical implications.) Maybe the series was trying to explore how murderers try to impart more meaning into their actions by invoking the supernatural, and then showing how the detectives get caught up in that mythos, but I felt the ending was unsatisfying. It just pulls back the curtain and here's a weird guy in a strange mansion, anyway....

Some people like that they keep it on the fringe, but I was hoping they'd really go full Lynch and explore the supernatural. Otherwise its just one of many many procedurals, albeit with some fun acting.

This new season's first episode felt more like what I wanted from the first, except it doesn't sound like they're landing it? Someone mentioned Fargo season 3 so maybe i'll check that out.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So the established timeline is that Anne K sees the Spiral in her dreams in high school and gets a tattoo of it -> becomes obsessed with visiting Tsolal -> immediately hits it off with Clarks -> she insists their relationship is secret -> Clarks sees her tattoo and gets one to match -> the bases off-the-books maintenance guy disappears right before/at the same time as -> Anne K finds something and is killed to cover it up -> Clark goes off the deep end and nobody in the base is sympathetic -> the scientists wake "her" up and get massacred -> Clark disappears (but is probably just hiding at the base since nobody is there rn lol).

It seems from this that the "mundane" explanation is that Anne K deliberately infiltrates the base and seduces the quiet, lonely Clark to get info on the inside and makes him keep their relationship a secret so nobody knows she's snooping on them. She finds some sort of info and is killed either by the scientists or the miners. Most likely some of the samples the scientists took proved the mine is dangerous. She gets murdered, probably by the maintenance guy, it's covered up until the disaster happens. The Tsolal scientists are definitely involved which is why they aren't sympathetic to Clark.

Most likely "her" is a crazy virus thats "in the ice" and the mine is unleashing it or their pollution is corrupting the ancient micro-organism in a way that turns it into a crazy virus. The scientists realise they're infected, write "We are all dead" on the whiteboard in their last sane moments and then deliberately run into the ice to kill themselves to stop it from spreading. But since one person survived now everyone is infected.

According to people with captions on Danvers was hearing "Twist and Shout" come out of her fridge and the wifebeater was also whistling it right before either Navarro or Danvers shot him. So thats loving weird.

There's a fun theory that Danvers is the russian bride Hank has been talking to, just to gently caress with him, which is such an amazing troll move that I hope it's true. This episode also made it clear to me why she doesn't discipline him more. He's a mine shill with a bunch of armed friends he can call up and she's isolated in a town where everyone hates her and people can just disappear easily. That's why she bothers Pete so much, he's probably the only cop loyal to her in town.

Snowmanatee posted:

It's mentioned very briefly but Pete didn't crack it, he just gave it to someone else who did. Danvers asks if he's cracked it yet and he says he's given it to someone who'll give it back in the morning.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Snowmanatee posted:

This feels like the most telling detail. It really bugged me that it happened off screen, without explanation and without the young cop learning a drat thing. The fact that it undercuts their dynamic makes it only worse.

And what was the point of bringing in the vet cousin to sus out the exact thing the "ask the question" game should be able to sort out ("how did they die")? I don't expect we'll ever see that character again, and he only managed to make our detectives look inept.

Edit: also the Tinder! Is that what's been distracting Danvers all season? I'm guessing it's a red herring but if they're playing it straight to humanize our detective it's not a great way to do that.

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 30, 2024