Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I like painting slow. I'll take a few days for one guy. My pile of shame will keep me going for literal years already.

I'm like Bob Ross painting my angry little men :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

think I finished six or so models last year, have nearly double that done so far this year. simply paint as the mood takes you and don't waste energy thinking on it further, you'll just give yourself grey hairs over nothing important

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m a slow painter and I’m trying to avoid Piles of Shame now.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've just bought a second hand army and it has non matching bases. Can I just scrape them off with a knife or it would be easier to just rebase?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Angry Lobster posted:

I've just bought a second hand army and it has non matching bases. Can I just scrape them off with a knife or it would be easier to just rebase?

You tell us. Try scraping first. If it comes off easy then do that. I'd the basing is on there too well, then rebase.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

sixth and maimed posted:

"Pile of shame" is aptly named. I tend to get carried away and buy too much war bands so my pipeline is enormous; I also paint really slow which makes it worse. I'm trying to do better so I made a priority list to help me get stuff that I'll actively use done. Like completely finishing my kruleboyz and allies war band for Warcry, and the Scales of Talaxis terrain set. It helps that I paint as a hobby in itself, not just to get stuff on the table.

My method for keeping my pile of shame under control is to only allow myself to buy something new when I've finished a project. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it does cut down on impulse purchases, and gives me an additional reason to paint.

That said, there's nothing really wrong with having a few models in the pipeline. I like having several primed and based models ready for paint, so that whenever the feeling hits me I have options to choose from, ranging from low-effort skellies to high-effort busts and big dioramas.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Indolent Bastard posted:

You tell us. Try scraping first. If it comes off easy then do that. I'd the basing is on there too well, then rebase.

Welp, just gave it a try. Had to grab an actual cutter because it was pretty hard to scrape off, i nfact, I used too much force and the model end up breaking off from the base. At least know I know they are glued with regular glue instead of the plastic variety, so probably will be easier just rebasing from scratch.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The video where Ninjon hauled out his pile of shame and revealed he had boxes and boxes of models stuffed into cupboards and cabinets, probably totalling thousands of dollars easily of models, was terrifying

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I've been working hard on eliminating my pile of shame the last few years. For my IG, I thought I was almost done. It's was really disheartening feeling when I opened some random bits box and found a small cache of models I'd forgotten all about. :(

I guess they're all something other than basic infantry, so they'll be interesting to paint at least.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So yeah I guess I’ll stick to painting chips and worn paint

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Speed paint guide "You can save time by just considering the light, shadow, and texture of the model before you apply every brush stroke and that will help you out in the long run."

Thanks, feel like I need to make a check list of things to do before I can start painting after watching one of these.

Edit: Yes I know you can just use zenithal highlights as training wheels for this as you build up your skills, but still.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 29, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You seem really salty at the concept of trying to get good at painting.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You know what they say, appearances can be deceiving.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Lostconfused posted:

Speed paint guide "You can save time by just considering the light, shadow, and texture of the model before you apply every brush stroke and that will help you out in the long run."

Thanks, feel like I need to make a check list of things to do before I can start painting after watching one of these.

Edit: Yes I know you can just use zenithal highlights as training wheels for this as you build up your skills, but still.

I mean, thats not wrong though

Even on a basic level, a zenithal spray followed by a coat of speed paint will get your stuff done really fast to a decent standard. Then if you want to go sicko mode and get it done to a high standard, considering light sources and shadows is definitely necessary

Even without zenithal, knowing where lights going to hit a model is going inform shading, highlighting etc

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

You know what they say, appearances can be deceiving.

I've watched well over 10 hours of painting tutorials last year and yet hadn't finished a mini that whole time. So I just grabbed a few things I was missing from the store, and just started painting. Don't think too hard about it. Maybe watch one of the 30 minute beginner tutorials and just Start Painting. Do a quick and dirty zenithal prime. Block in all the colours. Touch up where you made oopsies. Do more, if you have the will to do more, or just move on to the next mini.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Professor Shark posted:

The video where Ninjon hauled out his pile of shame and revealed he had boxes and boxes of models stuffed into cupboards and cabinets, probably totalling thousands of dollars easily of models, was terrifying

Those youtubers get lot of free minis though from smaller companies.
And they get paid for those videos, so more of a 'business inventory'.

He also has video showing his paint collection and that is also worth multiple thousands easily.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Mederlock posted:

I've watched well over 10 hours of painting tutorials last year and yet hadn't finished a mini that whole time. So I just grabbed a few things I was missing from the store, and just started painting. Don't think too hard about it. Maybe watch one of the 30 minute beginner tutorials and just Start Painting. Do a quick and dirty zenithal prime. Block in all the colours. Touch up where you made oopsies. Do more, if you have the will to do more, or just move on to the next mini.

:yeah: Just paint.
Those professional painters have thousands of hours of painting under their belt and can spend 10+ hours on a single mini.

That's not me. I rarely spend more than 1 hour on a mini and I'm satisfied with the results.
There's no right way to paint. Just do what makes you feel happy.

My speedpaint+ some highlights/shades level Master's of the Universe dudes:

Skeletor and He-Man:

Bad guys:

Good guys:

(Man-At-Arms was painted by a friend)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

I mean, thats not wrong though
Didn't say it was wrong, said it's easy to forget half a dozen steps and make a bunch of mistakes in the process. And then you might end up with some that looks kind of blegh.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Make your own steps through discovery by learning the basics and then applying them to what you have. Experiment, practice, learn, repeat.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
It's a staggered learning process. There's a reason painting classes aren't 2 months of lecture, then 2 months of practical. You have to interleave the two. Don't let yourself spend more than an hour on painting videos before you put brush to model, and don't bother going back to the videos until you feel like something isn't working. Also also, don't compare yourself to internet people. Find a local group or go to some local stores and compare yourself to THOSE models.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Make your own steps through discovery by learning the basics and then applying them to what you have. Experiment, practice, learn, repeat.
How did you get the impression that I'm not doing any of that?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lostconfused posted:

How did you get the impression that I'm not doing any of that?

The overall negativity and frustration. Relax dude, this isn't supposed to be stressful.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lostconfused posted:

That checklist is the entire concept and activity of Painting. Of course if you take the time to plan things out you can execute faster than if you're trying to constantly what to do at each step!

That's like being undecided what ingredients you're going to throw in the pan until the moment you start cooking.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

The overall negativity and frustration. Relax dude, this isn't supposed to be stressful.

That's just how I am normally, and it's fine that you don't like my attitude but criticizing that isn't going to change anything.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ok

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Painting miniatures is cool and fun!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think so too, I've even made posts about it in this thread.

Lostconfused posted:

It's surprisingly relaxing when you don't give a poo poo about how something looks

Lostconfused posted:

Got bored with Custodes again, decided to do something else for fun on a Sunday evening.

I just have one question, why do chaos warriors look so god drat good.

But I don't know if anyone here is qualified to work through my psychological issues of why do I find painting cadian troopers not super fun despite collecting them.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Sometimes we are our own worst enemy; I've certainly spent way too much time and money on hobbies before admitting to myself that it really isn't any fun, I just liked the idea of it (like Eve Online, Skyrim, and bread baking). It's ok if you don't like painting Cadians; maybe you just like the idea of having a Cadian army. I would suggest just setting them aside for a bit and coming to them later (or never!). Life is too short and hobby time too scarce to waste it on models you don't actually like painting.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I kept meaning to post the stuff I’ve been working on the last couple of months, here are a few shots of the Infinity stuff I’ve been doing.

I’ve got a bunch more PanO models and a handful of Combined Army in the queue now, I need to wait a little bit for my motivation to rematerialize and take a little break.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
I finished a redemptor dread a couple weeks ago and yesterday I sat down with the newest season of fargo and painted most of a unit of outriders, I've got like 3000 points of marines, 2000 genestealers, some Death Guard, and assorted random bullshit to paint. I'm trying my damnedest to make a dent before I start the next thing.

I'm also trying to get my girlfriend to buy me a box of Legion Imperialis though.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

I would suggest just setting them aside for a bit and coming to them later (or never!). Life is too short and hobby time too scarce to waste it on models you don't actually like painting.
That's the plan, got some ork boyz and chaos warriors. Gonna see how that goes.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Jcam posted:

I kept meaning to post the stuff I’ve been working on the last couple of months, here are a few shots of the Infinity stuff I’ve been doing.

I’ve got a bunch more PanO models and a handful of Combined Army in the queue now, I need to wait a little bit for my motivation to rematerialize and take a little break.

These look great! I especially love the building, it fits them so well. Good job!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Jcam posted:

Very cool! Never seen Love what you've done with the blue. Never seen any minis from that range before, looked it up and they're pretty fukken sweet

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Infinity stuff looks cool, very modern day sci-fi or cyberpunk, and yeah that's a great shade of blue.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

That's just how I am normally, and it's fine that you don't like my attitude but criticizing that isn't going to change anything.

lmao gently caress off dude

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I appreciate the compliments! Definitely too kind. It helps motivate me back to the paint brush for sure. I can't take credit for that building though, it's just the store-bought terrain available from Corvus Belli and just coincidentally color-matched my lil space barbies in hindsight.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Never seen any minis from that range before, looked it up and they're pretty fukken sweet

Infinity is the first miniatures game I've played that really fuels my decision paralysis badly - I love about 80% of the models from every faction in the game.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

hmm yes posted:

lmao gently caress off dude

Cool thanks, just gonna ignore you now.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Jcam posted:

I appreciate the compliments! Definitely too kind. It helps motivate me back to the paint brush for sure. I can't take credit for that building though, it's just the store-bought terrain available from Corvus Belli and just coincidentally color-matched my lil space barbies in hindsight.

Infinity is the first miniatures game I've played that really fuels my decision paralysis badly - I love about 80% of the models from every faction in the game.

I just browsed the line and I see what you mean! I'm not in the market for a new game, but those minis look great.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jcam posted:

Yeah, Infinity is just hit after hit with their sculpts. Unfortunately sometimes the sculpts are TOO good and too detailed and therefore difficult to paint unless you're someone of Jcam's caliber and do an amazing job with them <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Jcam posted:

This is some excellent freehand and some lovely poppy shading. It's always a delight to see more Infinity stuff.