Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fun fact: Chromium's Blink engine originally started its life as a fork of WebKit. Only Gecko (Firefox) has a _completely_ different engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

and webkit started life as Konqueror for KDE :lol:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I do fear that now apps will add a blink/chromium/electron payload rather than using the onboard engine for rendering compliance to their android counterparts. Also it will be a security nightmare for elderly users since they will get bounced to third party fly by night stores and click accept to everything. I am not a big fan of all these changes.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

SlowBloke posted:

I do fear that now apps will add a blink/chromium/electron payload rather than using the onboard engine for rendering compliance to their android counterparts. Also it will be a security nightmare for elderly users since they will get bounced to third party fly by night stores and click accept to everything. I am not a big fan of all these changes.

lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah god forbid most apps were just loving electron pages.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I just want my Firefox on iOS to be based on gecko or whatever so I can load a proper adblock add-on

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Apple One pricing is pretty amazing. In theory it’s a good deal but practically I value all the stuff that makes it a good deal as roughly worthless so it’s a wash.

What I need, priced a la carte:
$17 for Music Family
$10 for 2 GB iCloud
$10 for TV+ (sometimes)

When I don’t want TV+, Apple One doesn’t make sense at all.

Otherwise, a la carte is $37.
Apple One Family is $26 plus the $10 iCloud so $36 and I get one extra service I don’t care about.
Apple One Premier is $38 and I get three extra services I don’t care about.

Second one is best option for me but funny how close they are.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

See what you've done there is what everyone else including Apple do and forgotten Arcade exists.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

See what you've done there is what everyone else including Apple do and forgotten Arcade exists.

That frankly insanely good Hello Kitty game is worth $35 a month alone!

For the people who play it. NOt me. Please don't tell the newspapers that I played the hello kitty game, it's not true!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I use it in spurts, but Fitness+ is great.

Apple One is getting dumb expensive, but it gives Cloud storage and Apple Music to myself, my wife, my mom and my wife’s parents. For that alone it works out.

Reminder that you can find iTunes gift card promos (not as much since it’s post holidays) and $10 off a $100 gift card is 10% off Apple one. I stocked up so it’s covered for a bit.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

You can, if you have a certain Verizon plan, you can get Apple 1 for $10. I think if you want to do family, it takes $10 off the monthly cost.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

I just want my Firefox on iOS to be based on gecko or whatever so I can load a proper adblock add-on

Are Safari extensions really that bad? I have a bunch, load up all sorts of JavaScript Userscripts and adblockers like Wipr and AdGuard. I never see ads.

WebKit is open source too.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Corb3t posted:

Are Safari extensions really that bad? I have a bunch, load up all sorts of JavaScript Userscripts and adblockers like Wipr and AdGuard. I never see ads.

WebKit is open source too.

I don’t know. I use Firefox across ecosystems for history, bookmark, and tab syncing, and afaik safari extensions don’t work in Firefox for iOS.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

I don’t know. I use Firefox across ecosystems for history, bookmark, and tab syncing, and afaik safari extensions don’t work in Firefox for iOS.

Ah okay, I don’t trust businesses with that kind of personal information so I keep all that syncing stuff turned off on my devices.

I use Firefox a lot on desktop, although I’m shocked they still haven’t added tab groups and passkey support by now.

Love my Safari extensions on iOS.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 27, 2024

gregday
May 23, 2003

John Gruber wrote a fantastic piece about all the EU changes.

https://daringfireball.net/2024/01/apples_plans_for_the_dma

But this bit at the end is just the :kiss:

quote:

“The delicious irony in Apple’s not knowing if these massive, complicated proposals will be deemed DMA-compliant is that their dealings with the European Commission sound exactly like App Store developers’ dealings with Apple. Do all the work to build it first, and only then find out if it passes muster with largely inscrutable rules interpreted by faceless bureaucrats.”

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

smackfu posted:

The Apple One pricing is pretty amazing. In theory it’s a good deal but practically I value all the stuff that makes it a good deal as roughly worthless so it’s a wash.

What I need, priced a la carte:
$17 for Music Family
$10 for 2 GB iCloud
$10 for TV+ (sometimes)

When I don’t want TV+, Apple One doesn’t make sense at all.

Otherwise, a la carte is $37.
Apple One Family is $26 plus the $10 iCloud so $36 and I get one extra service I don’t care about.
Apple One Premier is $38 and I get three extra services I don’t care about.

Second one is best option for me but funny how close they are.

It’s almost like bundling and recurring charges weren’t designed to benefit you at all

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Has anyone else’s 13 mini battery fallen off a cliff? Mine is from near launch and the battery doesn’t come close to lasting a day anymore. It’s on 87% battery health. Am I right in thinking Apple will now replace any battery if you’re happy to pay?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dugong posted:

Has anyone else’s 13 mini battery fallen off a cliff? Mine is from near launch and the battery doesn’t come close to lasting a day anymore. It’s on 87% battery health. Am I right in thinking Apple will now replace any battery if you’re happy to pay?

They prefer to wait until it's 80% or less, but you can always insist.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My launch 12 mini (so a year older) is at 81% battery health.

It does not last all day.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I got a 12 mini shortly after launch and by the time the iPhones 13 released it was at 81% battery. The last couple months I had it I watched the battery health drop by a percent about every week and a half. So I replaced it with a 13 Pro on launch day. The 12 mini’s battery could barely last through a typical workday from 8am-4pm. I’d use CarPlay on the way to work and it’d lose about 2% battery life, and then by 4pm low-power mode would be activated.

I loved the size, and afaik the 13 mini’s battery was much improved, but I wasn’t taking the risk again.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 28, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Had the 13 mini for about 15 months, at which point it did not last a day with moderate use. If I'd have sworn off any apps - including music streaming apps - I might have just made it in time for home, but in practice it didn't really hold up battery-wise ever, and was only getting worse.

edit: still the world's greatest phone

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Duckman2008 posted:

I use it in spurts, but Fitness+ is great.

Apple One is getting dumb expensive, but it gives Cloud storage and Apple Music to myself, my wife, my mom and my wife’s parents. For that alone it works out.

Reminder that you can find iTunes gift card promos (not as much since it’s post holidays) and $10 off a $100 gift card is 10% off Apple one. I stocked up so it’s covered for a bit.

Where have you seen Apple gift card promos that discount the card itself? I have seen deals where you get a gift card of that amount to that store when you buy an Apple card, but you can't use the store gift card to buy other gift cards so it's of no value if you don't want to do any additional shopping at the store. Ever since the apple gift cards could be used for hardware purchases, I have never seen the cards themselves be discounted.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Original_Z posted:

Where have you seen Apple gift card promos that discount the card itself? I have seen deals where you get a gift card of that amount to that store when you buy an Apple card, but you can't use the store gift card to buy other gift cards so it's of no value if you don't want to do any additional shopping at the store. Ever since the apple gift cards could be used for hardware purchases, I have never seen the cards themselves be discounted.

Sorry, it’s the discounted cards from place of purchase. For me $10 towards target is pretty much the same thing. You are correct , it wont be a directly discounted iTunes card.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You can get 5% cash back by buying on Amazon with the prime CC.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Ok so it turns out the real killer feature on the 15 series of phones is being able to share your battery charge with other people.

I was recently out with friends, one person needed to charge their phone, was hunting for an outlet, I took the cable and plugged the USB-c end into my 15 pro, everyone collectively lost their minds. Nobody cares about dynamic islands or always on displays or whatever else (and nor should they) but this feature is the real deal

edit: sharing the ACTUAL electric charge from the BATTERY ITSELF to ANOTHER BATTERY, you ghouls

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 29, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh wow I had to read that a couple of times before I realized you weren't describing an iOS software feature that lets you broadcast "I have 83%, suck it lol :smug:" to everyone in bluetooth range

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Data Graham posted:

Oh wow I had to read that a couple of times before I realized you weren't describing an iOS software feature that lets you broadcast "I have 83%, suck it lol :smug:" to everyone in bluetooth range

I read it the same way you did and wanted to know how to broadcast my battery life to my coworkers every hour.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

An automation that sends a notification to my entire contact list and everyone in airdrop range when my battery hits 69%

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Data Graham posted:

That gloating happens verbally toward my partner anyway, who is stuck on an old iPhone SE

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Since we were talking about battery features, I was going to rave about the 80% limiter, but it does fail to limit the charge mysteriously and randomly.

The rest of the time I just get to plug in my phone and not worry about causing extra battery wear than needed. It’s lovely for my particular brand of brain worm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

Since we were talking about battery features, I was going to rave about the 80% limiter, but it does fail to limit the charge mysteriously and randomly.

It's intentional. They have to occasionally calibrate what a "full charge" is so it can accurately report available power.

My biggest grip is there doesn't appear to be a button anywhere to force a full charge, you have to go into settings and turn it off.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

It's intentional. They have to occasionally calibrate what a "full charge" is so it can accurately report available power.

My biggest grip is there doesn't appear to be a button anywhere to force a full charge, you have to go into settings and turn it off.

Yeah I was hoping this setting would be exposed to shortcuts at least but oh well! I’m just happy to have a charge limiter on everything expensive I have with a battery. :)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

tuyop posted:

Yeah I was hoping this setting would be exposed to shortcuts at least but oh well! I’m just happy to have a charge limiter on everything expensive I have with a battery. :)

Agreed. I'm so glad I can finally leave my phone plugged in overnight without wearing the battery out. I had my iphone 13 pro max for over 2 years, almost never let it charge past 90%, and it had 98% health so it really does work.

I noticed that my iphone 15 pro max can charge my ipod pros with a usb c to lightning cable which is nice.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I liked having the 80% toggle when I was on a big family holiday and out-and-about for 16 hours every day, but I think it would be better for most people if the "overnight" charge still topped it off.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there a way to stop my iphone from doing haptics when I turn on silent mode for the ringer? it looks like I have all the haptics turned off, but apparently not

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

actionjackson posted:

is there a way to stop my iphone from doing haptics when I turn on silent mode for the ringer? it looks like I have all the haptics turned off, but apparently not

There’s probably a shortcut or something to make this faster but to turn off all haptics you’ll need to go to Settings > Accessibility > Touch and then turn off vibration.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that works, thank you

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else feel like autocorrect has gotten significantly more aggressive, in a bad way, since iOS 17? I feel like am having to go back and change things it incorrectly autocorrected more than ever, and I don’t think my brain got dumber…

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Anyone else feel like autocorrect has gotten significantly more aggressive, in a bad way, since iOS 17? I feel like am having to go back and change things it incorrectly autocorrected more than ever, and I don’t think my brain got dumber…

After my covid infection in 2022 I have had a horrible time trying to avoid typos and poo poo, especially while texting. I write technical manuals and poo poo for a living so I’m acutely aware of how many errors I make and it wasn’t like this before!

That’s what I’m attributing these changes to, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I chalk it up to getting old and my brain and muscles just aren't as precise as they used to be.