Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone have any tips on mending old boxes? Just bought a first edition Arkham Horror with a couple torn corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone have any tips on mending old boxes? Just bought a first edition Arkham Horror with a couple torn corners.

Tape both inside and out.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

PVA glue a bead inside corner, then tape inside and outside after 2-3 days of drying. Clear matte tape if you can find it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I use this on the inside of the box corner:

Duck Fiberglass Reinforced Gummed Kraft Paper Tape, Water Activated, 2.75 Inches x 375 Feet (964913) https://a.co/d/b1ZPdgj

And this on the outside:

Patco 555/CLR220 555 Archival Book Repair Tape: 2" x 60 ft., Clear https://a.co/d/7VH7rz4

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thank you, I’ll give it a shot soon.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Played a little picked game called Kintsugi yesterday, nice little set collecting game with the twist that your pottery breaks sometimes and you have to fix it. It was fine really, with the fatal flaw for me that sets didn't have to match pattern, any cup paired with any saucer for bonus points even if they had different patterns, unacceptable!

Then we played Moorland by the same guy who did Camel Up. It's a game about restoring peat bogs, and as my wife is a peat scientist we kinda had to get it. Slightly fiddly setup, but one that allowed a lot of replaying I guess. Essentially you have a dry moorland where you can put plants, there's a card on each of the 12 turns which tells you which kind of plants you can get.

You draft Moor cards which have requirements on the, like 2 cotton grass and a heather. They also have water channels on them so when you place them into your moorland you end up with an interconnected network of channels, hopefully.

The quirk is that you don't 'spend' the plants to play the Moor cards, some get discarded, some get rooted onto the card but the rest float through your waterways to another site.

So eventually you place 12 Moor cards onto your board and any plants you've not rooted or discarded are negative points.

It's a pretty neat puzzle, a nice alternative to Calico and Cascadia but very much in the same space. Low interaction, except for hate drafting, with narrowing options towards the end of the game. If you like things like Cascadia then I'd recommend it.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Aramoro posted:

Played a little picked game called Kintsugi yesterday, nice little set collecting game with the twist that your pottery breaks sometimes and you have to fix it. It was fine really, with the fatal flaw for me that sets didn't have to match pattern, any cup paired with any saucer for bonus points even if they had different patterns, unacceptable!

there’s a certain beauty to imperfect designs like this

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm working part time at a place where I'm tired of staring at my phone all day. Are there any good solo board games I can play with just a couple of dice and a piece of paper? I know these exist, just looking for recommendations for ones I can play with like a PDF on my phone for the rules. No cards or dice placement, playing cards, etc. that would take up any more space than a sheet of paper.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LifeLynx posted:

I'm working part time at a place where I'm tired of staring at my phone all day. Are there any good solo board games I can play with just a couple of dice and a piece of paper? I know these exist, just looking for recommendations for ones I can play with like a PDF on my phone for the rules. No cards or dice placement, playing cards, etc. that would take up any more space than a sheet of paper.

Most roll and writes, probably.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tom Lehmann's new Winter Court jumped ahead in the unplayed queue because it's so small. It is 2p only and reminds me of a cross between two Reiner Knizia games, Blue Moon Legends and Royal Visit. If you like Knizia's multi-suit card games and those two in particular, then you'll like Winter Court. Every Lehmann game I have ever played feels as though it ends ~1 turn too early; this one does too, and I feel this is a feature rather than a bug. He has a sharp sense of game timing and it keeps play time reasonable.

You can find full writeups of gameplay elsewhere, but in general, there six card suits numbered 1-10, and the 12 members of the court can only be influenced by the highest card of one or two suits. The game's tension comes from the court's makeup: the four members of the royal family are worth more influence and getting all four is an instant win, while the other eight are worth a single point, but have individual powers that you can use one time if you're willing to give up your influence. You can, of course try to regain influence over them, but would have to play a higher number than your own card still sitting there. A nice touch is that the four members of the royal family (ruler, consort, two heirs) are each on their own double-sided tile, identical but for their gender presentation in the art. The rest of the court doesn't have this option, and I can only assume it's for reasons of manufacturing rather than politics.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

panko posted:

there’s a certain beauty to imperfect designs like this

:argh:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just played Brass:Birmingham after having unfortunate scheduling problems making me miss all the Brass meetups for several months -- it was almost as if the games were scheduled with preknowledge of commitments/disasters/conflicts in my life that made me unable to attend ( often requiring last-minute cancellation).

I've missed it. What an amazing game. I prefer BSG or Cosmic Encounter (with the right group in the right mindset), but those are only good at 5p+; Spirit Island is still my favorite overall but is slower at 3 or especially 4. The only true "rather play thans" at 2-4 would be Twilight Struggle (Brass at 2P is suboptimal, I think) or SI if with co-op minded folks...or maybe Dune:Imperium with Ix and possibly Immortality.

I took the learners' table. When teaching, I always play a decent game but with a suboptimal strategy (my go-to is cotton without boxes or pottery), and I freely dispense advice when someone is considering moves (as well as meta-advice like "you will take several loans during the game; don't fight it" or "you may want to consider pre-staging for rail era; that would involve doing...."). This allows me to model good tactical gameplay without as much of a risk of running away with the game as well as demonstrating Development and (often) Scouting early on as well as building a canal-era network in the bottom left to open the board and showing how multi-sell works in practice.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!

LifeLynx posted:

You can play Railroad Ink on your phone! And Spirit Island!

Sprawlopolis will probably be too big, but not Skulls of Sedlec, or ROVE. Cartographer's might be slightly too big.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

LifeLynx posted:

Dunno if it's up your alley but boardgamearena has a really good mobile interface. There are some solo games there but you could rock turn based async, too.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

LifeLynx posted:

Postmark Games makes a few roll and writes that you print yourself and use with a few generic 6-sided dice. They're very inexpensive and may be worth a look.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I think the requester is specifically asking for games that aren’t on their phone.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Get some of those 80’s Adventure Gamebooks CYOA RPG books like Car Wars

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You're right, I misunderstood the "play with a PDF on my phone...". It's play with a PDF on the phone for the rules. :v:

Alfred Valley makes some nifty solo RPGs if that's your thing.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I'm about 15 years too late but does anyone remember the best way to onboard newbies to Space Alert without running all the tutorials assuming there is a semi-competent captain (me)? Just run the last one and then a real mission? Really just want to get straight into the meat of playing with the character sheets and achievements from the expansion.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i'm also interested in the answer to this. i've only ever run the whole tutorial.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
When i taught it I would teach everything through external threats in one mission, then the second mission would be everything.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I don’t know if it was just the group I was in, but aside from the person teaching it, we were all new. And he just threw us in headfirst with everything including New Frontier and it worked out wonderfully.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Found one of my grail games for cheap BNIS, but the seller isn't responding :negative:

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Played Scythe for the first time in ages last night and came third, behind the two combinations of boards that have been banned - obviously we didn’t realise until after, when those two had both run away with the game.

Such a waste of good production on a boring, low interaction Euro. I like everything about this game except for it being nearly solitaire.

Oh and the factions and boards being completely unbalanced :rolleyes:

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

million dollar mack posted:

Played Scythe for the first time in ages last night and came third, behind the two combinations of boards that have been banned - obviously we didn’t realise until after, when those two had both run away with the game.

Such a waste of good production on a boring, low interaction Euro. I like everything about this game except for it being nearly solitaire.

I love Scythe too and agree with you about the solitaire part, and the factions/boards.

Once you have people that have a few games under their belt, combat becomes more of a threat.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

Found one of my grail games for cheap BNIS, but the seller isn't responding :negative:

Which game?

VVV I just played that for the first time on the weekend and had a great time. It was fast and stupid and pretty mean. Got into a hilarious and expensive war that cost me the game. I've had a copy sitting downstairs for years that I grabbed on a whim but never got around to it.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 30, 2024

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

FulsomFrank posted:

Which game?
I think Infinitum has been coveting Lords of Vegas basically forever, so I'm going to take a punt and say it's that.

Had a couple of board game evenings this month. No real write up because a house move is devouring all of my time. We played Catacombs, Canvas, Steampunk Rally: Fusion and Citadels. A nice spread. I had a bit of a nightmare with Steampunk Rally, but they were all good games and fun times.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

million dollar mack posted:

The game does almost relish in evoking strong themes and art and minis that look like they're going to be awesome Ameritrash, but then being insistently Euro about the whole thing. Definitely agree with you there,.

We've really been enjoying the Rise of Fenris campaign though. We all went in totally blind, and I think that's a great way to do it, it's been pretty exciting, which goes some way to giving you the 'wow' that the game promises but doesn't deliver on. It all seems to make the regular game shine a bit more too, somehow. I dunno, maybe it's just the novelty, but it's been a lot of fun.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

!Klams posted:

The game does almost relish in evoking strong themes and art and minis that look like they're going to be awesome Ameritrash, but then being insistently Euro about the whole thing. Definitely agree with you there,.

We've really been enjoying the Rise of Fenris campaign though. We all went in totally blind, and I think that's a great way to do it, it's been pretty exciting, which goes some way to giving you the 'wow' that the game promises but doesn't deliver on. It all seems to make the regular game shine a bit more too, somehow. I dunno, maybe it's just the novelty, but it's been a lot of fun.

We played through Rise of Fenris a few years ago and I did enjoy it, which is probably why coming back to 'vanilla' Scythe feels like a letdown. Well, that and a steady diet of high interaction non-ameritrash games in the intervening years.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Infinitum posted:

That's a fun acronym.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nicely meme'd sir

FulsomFrank posted:

Which game?

Yeah it's Lords of Vegas.

Hopefully they respond, if not it's allll good. I'll get it eventually.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

dishwasherlove posted:

I'm about 15 years too late but does anyone remember the best way to onboard newbies to Space Alert without running all the tutorials assuming there is a semi-competent captain (me)? Just run the last one and then a real mission? Really just want to get straight into the meat of playing with the character sheets and achievements from the expansion.

yep last advanced tutorial then normal missions. I also add a house rule that you can ask any rules questions (only! no strategy!) during radio silence. once people know how the game reasonably works you can take that rule away.

one thing I do that is probably wack is I never explain the fighters until asked specifically

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

That's what I did. Highlights included one player playing all the cards up the same way, the inevitable activating the battlebots with a battlebot action instead of C, and of course the classic shooting the gun but the guy before you stole the energy for a shield recharge. So good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I would love to play my game of Space Alert, it's been so long since the chaos was released.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
Local Gaming Event Trip Report!

The Quest for El Dorado - I used my tried and true strategy of blowing my wad early and getting stuck on the second to last tile board (the "Canucks Plan"). My girlfriend won as usual. I still think this game is great, though!

Illusion - I haven't played this one in a while: happy to come back to it. It could have gone longer but a new player got cold feet about letting a round go on and called a perfectly good colour line. if you haven't played it's like liar's dice except instead of pushing how many of a roll are under cups, you're pushing how far we can correctly sort cards by % of a colour. I think it's cool because it uses this very non-gamey skill for the evaluation, but keeps the bluffing/push-luck elements of liar's dice.
Don't get me wrong, liar's dice has its own magic (if you're properly playing with rerolls) and is still king of this category.

Marshmallow Test - I think this is my new favourite trick-taker. Yes, I just bought Cat in the Box and it's good but I feel satisfied with Marshmallow every time I play. I do think they should take 3 players off the box though. If you haven't played this is a mostly basic trick-taker except if you ever take your 3rd trick in a hand you're OUT for the rest of the hand and immediately take 1 point for every trick... everyone else has won. If you're last or don't win 3 tricks before the end of the hand no points for you. it's got this hilarious brinksmanship how long can your go before you stink yourself? yes it IS a Knizia how did you know?

Next Station London - I've found that I actually don't particularly like roll and writes for a variety of reasons, most of which London conveniently fixes. Actually a good time! If you haven't played it's a spacial puzzle-type thing where you draw a card for the next station on the map you have to draw a line to. The deck is small and obvious and the discards are splayed out to see so you can plan ahead based on probability. Super good.

Quackmeisters von Quedlinburg- My first time playing this one. Pretty good. We played with some expansions... I think I would not have been impressed with the base game if that were my first go it was just above what I would consider too simple for a game like that. What I played however was good.

TBH it's not the event's fault probably, but I had an OK-to-disappointing time. You may notice a distinct lack of MEAT in my play list. Actually if I check my plays on past iterations of this event, I see a marked decline of meat. I think I might have to arrange something else in my house in order to play something more than a light euro.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just played Modern Art for the first time last night. Was somewhat concerned about what I had heard, that money leaders could bully their way into domination, but that didn’t seem to be the case. (Perhaps that bullying requires one of the artists to consistently score high round over round, so that you know their works will be worth at least $70 in round 3, but the limited number of each artist’s works seems to work against that happening often.) Really liked the “catch-up” tool of letting the auctioneer keep others’ winning bids. Lost something like $396-$423 to someone who had played before (I wasn’t aggressive enough in rounds one-two, I think), with the third place player coming in around $300 (he was having trouble triangulating on good bid amounts).

I think I still prefer Medici, but I like Modern Art better than Ra.

Most surprisingly, I was told that the artists in the game are ‘real’ artists. (Of course, all boardgame artists are real artists, but these five have shows and such, and profiles outside the gaming world.) Can anyone verify that?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

PlaneGuy posted:

TBH it's not the event's fault probably, but I had an OK-to-disappointing time. You may notice a distinct lack of MEAT in my play list. Actually if I check my plays on past iterations of this event, I see a marked decline of meat. I think I might have to arrange something else in my house in order to play something more than a light euro.

This is often my issue. When the core of my group gets together, the clashing tastes and proclivities mean the compromise picks skew light. Now, I love light games but I also love non-light games. What we tried to do was be like "medium game X is getting played at event Y" and then (depending on your group dynamic) select the guest list accordingly or allow them to self-select out. But you need a malleable core of omnigamers or a large selection of attendees to make that work regularly.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Admiralty Flag posted:

Just played Modern Art for the first time last night. Was somewhat concerned about what I had heard, that money leaders could bully their way into domination, but that didn’t seem to be the case. (Perhaps that bullying requires one of the artists to consistently score high round over round, so that you know their works will be worth at least $70 in round 3, but the limited number of each artist’s works seems to work against that happening often.) Really liked the “catch-up” tool of letting the auctioneer keep others’ winning bids. Lost something like $396-$423 to someone who had played before (I wasn’t aggressive enough in rounds one-two, I think), with the third place player coming in around $300 (he was having trouble triangulating on good bid amounts).

I think I still prefer Medici, but I like Modern Art better than Ra.

Most surprisingly, I was told that the artists in the game are ‘real’ artists. (Of course, all boardgame artists are real artists, but these five have shows and such, and profiles outside the gaming world.) Can anyone verify that?

Half the rulebook is dedicated to their minibios and a gallery of their art so yeah they're real. I was surprised that most are Brazilian IIRC that said, I wish I had the classic art from the Korean edition as an alternative deck.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I still like the art from the original version, which was a bit of a send up of modern art and also had fake critic reviews in the manual for each "artist".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

PlaneGuy posted:

Marshmallow Test - I think this is my new favourite trick-taker. Yes, I just bought Cat in the Box and it's good but I feel satisfied with Marshmallow every time I play. I do think they should take 3 players off the box though. If you haven't played this is a mostly basic trick-taker except if you ever take your 3rd trick in a hand you're OUT for the rest of the hand and immediately take 1 point for every trick... everyone else has won. If you're last or don't win 3 tricks before the end of the hand no points for you. it's got this hilarious brinksmanship how long can your go before you stink yourself? yes it IS a Knizia how did you know?

This sounds great, I'm going to graba copy for sure. Thanks for sharing!