Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ghost emoji posted:

So many restaurants around here don't even have delivery drivers anymore. You call in to order delivery and they're like "oh we're on Ubereats/Postmates/etc" instead. I can't see how that's saving them money long-term.

"Long-term"? What the gently caress are you tolkien about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ghost emoji posted:

So many restaurants around here don't even have delivery drivers anymore. You call in to order delivery and they're like "oh we're on Ubereats/Postmates/etc" instead. I can't see how that's saving them money long-term.

Well, the fact that 90% of those restaurants never delivered before 3rd party delivery, it's opened a whole new revenue stream. Back in the day, depending on where you lived, you could basically get pizza or chinese delivered, that was it. The cut that the delivery companies take is often less than paying for a delivery driver as well, especially if they would've had to employ multiple drivers prior. Delivery times are better as well. Instead of waiting for an in-house driver get back from an existing delivery, 3rd parties just show up as soon as an order is ready to go.

I'm not going to listen to restaurant owners crying doom and gloom that "these delivery services will run us out of business from fees". Just like they plead poverty and that their greedy employees will run them out of business by daring to ask for higher wages.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah as far as i'm concerned restaurant owners and tech bros can drag each other to hell

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
right it seems like the only loser in the equation is the delivery driver working for the app. anyway i noticed recently that in addition to the fees, delivery fee, and optional tip the individual items on delivery apps is sometimes higher than if you go to the place or call in the order yourself. anyone know is this restaurants setting their prices higher for delivery or is it just extra money also going to the app company

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cactus Ghost posted:

yeah as far as i'm concerned restaurant owners and tech bros can drag each other to hell

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

thathonkey posted:

is this restaurants setting their prices higher for delivery or is it just extra money also going to the app company

both but generally the app. sometimes you'll get the actual food receipt instead of the uber one and it shows the real prices, typically 20% below what you get charged online

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I do feel out of touch sometimes reading people's posts. I've never had a subscription to a streaming service, never used one of these apps for take out, never used an uber.

You name a newfangled thing and I bet you I haven't used it. I do know how to hew a round log into a square one using an axe though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

I do feel out of touch sometimes reading people's posts. I've never had a subscription to a streaming service, never used one of these apps for take out, never used an uber.

You name a newfangled thing and I bet you I haven't used it. I do know how to hew a round log into a square one using an axe though.

Same and I feel more vindicated by the day.

Well, I did recently subscribe to the Criterion channel, which has been good, though. It has no algorithm, just a list of movies you can watch and none of them are made for streaming.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Same, but without any of the useful things to compensate.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just can't fathom wanting mcdonalds so bad I'd pay like $25 for it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Maybe if you screamed "MCDONALD'S!" at your TV more often you wouldn't feel that way

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

The Moon Monster posted:

Would you pay to make it stop?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

right it seems like the only loser in the equation is the delivery driver working for the app. anyway i noticed recently that in addition to the fees, delivery fee, and optional tip the individual items on delivery apps is sometimes higher than if you go to the place or call in the order yourself. anyone know is this restaurants setting their prices higher for delivery or is it just extra money also going to the app company

You are absolutely correct - delivery apps mark up the price of food. On doordash specifically you can see the difference by switching from delivery to pickup.

also :lol: in the beginning of DoorDash, restaurants didnt necessarily consent to being on their website. Doordash would literally steal their menu, load it into their app, and mark up the prices. Then when the unknowing customer placed the order, the driver was supposed to walk into the restaurant and place the order for themselves, use the doordash credit card to pay for it, sit around and wait for it to be prepared, and then deliver it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Restaurants that retain drivers do so in abject defiance to gig work, as it is both a savings of labor and an adaptation of a changing market to use it. Uber et al found a way to condition customers to come to them to order food from basically anywhere and then leveraged that power over the restaurants. One restauranteur likened this to how Microsoft used its monopoly in OSes in the 90s to destroy its rivals in the web browser space like Netscape (by the time the law came down on them it was already too late).

From this hard to read neon green on black blog

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Vampire Panties posted:

You are absolutely correct - delivery apps mark up the price of food. On doordash specifically you can see the difference by switching from delivery to pickup.

also :lol: in the beginning of DoorDash, restaurants didnt necessarily consent to being on their website. Doordash would literally steal their menu, load it into their app, and mark up the prices. Then when the unknowing customer placed the order, the driver was supposed to walk into the restaurant and place the order for themselves, use the doordash credit card to pay for it, sit around and wait for it to be prepared, and then deliver it.
I drove for GrubHub in 2019 and I think I remember being told we were going to start doing this

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

That's how DoorDash still works in my area.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol same. I can't imagine spending big money to get cold McDonalds delivered to you.

It helps I suppose that I have zero chance of any delivery, but still.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
There are a lot of people who exclusively eat fast food. I work with like 3 of them.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I moved out of my parent's house at 19, went to college, spent half a decade overseas, then lived in my own apartment for 4 years until I moved in with my partner. At 30+ years old my parents would still regularly ask me "Do you ever cook?" and I would say "Yes? How else would I eat?" and they thought "Oh we figured you just ordered food every day". No idea why, maybe because I lived in a city and they thought that's what city slicker millennials did?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I know some people that are like that because they grew up without regular access to a grocery store and it's what they're used to. They at least go get the food themselves though.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
I know a guy who is a cook in a restaurant and doesn't cook for himself very often because he hates cooking and likes drugs

actually I know two or three people like that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zamujasa posted:

both but generally the app. sometimes you'll get the actual food receipt instead of the uber one and it shows the real prices, typically 20% below what you get charged online

Gouging like this should be some kind of crime somehow. Inflate prices, add nonsensical fees, delivery fee add tax to everything plus tip etc etc. Any additional cost that's a percentage should be included in the base cost.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hm, looks like my YouTube RSS links just stopped working this morning. I kind figured they'd get rid of them sooner or later, maybe this is a hiccup, maybe this is another one of Google's unannounced service closures.

Anyway, this video is a useful sum-up of a good third of the posts in this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuTQbOo3Y30

It also has a pretty ironic sponsor, given the video's mention of subscription services as a component of "limbic capitalism."

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 29, 2024

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I'm pretty undemanding of podcast apps. I don't play at accelerated speeds, auto-skip dead air or any of that fancy stuff. So I gave Google Podcasts a try when it came out and stuck with it because it checked the boxes I wanted:

• Has Android Auto
  • Shows me new episodes
  • Plays those new episodes
  • Doesn't have ads

Big freaking surprise, Google is discontinuing Google Podcasts. Yes I should have seen this coming but there's an easy migration to YouTube Music so let's give that a try. As it turns out, I have a requirement I didn't previously realize.

I know a lot of people get mad about decreasing information density. I'm generally indifferent and don't mind padding things to look nice. That said, what the gently caress is this trash? Sure these episodes don't need their name in the title but even that doesn't fit.

Google you suck poo poo at everything.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

I read somewhere that googles culture is geared towards making a cool product, making a name for yourself, impressing the higher ups, and then getting promoted to something else more prestigious.

Then the product eventually becomes a dumping ground for people they don't want to fire yet, then eventually attrition and layoffs come around and the team gets axed and the product sucks now so they poo poo can it.

Repeat ad infinitum.

Which is why they had like 3 distinct chat apps at one point in time, and two music players.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Google stuff: Picasa, a Google acquisition long discontinued, is still an ok photo manager and freely available in this place or that.

Oh, and it's a downloadable, installable piece of software, not a lousy web service. I post it here because it's the only Google acquisition I can think of that a) is good and b) you can still use without depending on a Google-hosted server.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 30, 2024

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

WTFBEES posted:

I'm pretty undemanding of podcast apps. I don't play at accelerated speeds, auto-skip dead air or any of that fancy stuff. So I gave Google Podcasts a try when it came out and stuck with it because it checked the boxes I wanted:

• Has Android Auto
  • Shows me new episodes
  • Plays those new episodes
  • Doesn't have ads

Big freaking surprise, Google is discontinuing Google Podcasts. Yes I should have seen this coming but there's an easy migration to YouTube Music so let's give that a try. As it turns out, I have a requirement I didn't previously realize.

I know a lot of people get mad about decreasing information density. I'm generally indifferent and don't mind padding things to look nice. That said, what the gently caress is this trash? Sure these episodes don't need their name in the title but even that doesn't fit.

Google you suck poo poo at everything.

YouTube music first hosed up the transition from podcasts to itself, then it started playing loving imagine dragons at me when I paused the podcast I was trying to listen to. So I uninstalled that. Amazon Music's podcast section is decent but the loving app autoplays when you switch devices. So after turning off my car it stopped playing in my car and started full volume blasting out of my phone in my bag. So gently caress that app.

I'm currently trying Pocket Casts free version. So far it doesn't suck and has the same UI on Android Auto as Google podcasts. We'll see though it'll probably try to hijack my Roomba or something.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't listen to that many podcasts, but Pocket Casts has always worked for me and never tried to gently caress me over.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

doctorfrog posted:

Google stuff: Picasa, a Google acquisition long discontinued, is still an ok photo manager and freely available in this place or that.

Oh, and it's a downloadable, installable piece of software, not a lousy web service. I post it here because it's the only Google acquisition I can think of that a) is good and b) you can still use without depending on a Google-hosted server.

Picasa was great. I used to use it to adjust the photos my late grandfather took, it worked wonders.

Google culture is the same as too many other places, online and off: old things don't get money. keeping things running smoothly is not growth. the only thing that is rewarded are new products and new redesigns, which is why google has god knows how many different chat apps

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Speaking of which, a list of services that google has discontinued:
Aardvark (search engine)
Google Answers
Google Base
BebaPay
Google Blog Search
Google Building Maker
Google Buzz
Google Checkout
Google Code Search
Google Directory
Google Expeditions
Google Express
Google Fast Flip
Google Flu Trends
Google Friend Connect
Google Gesture Search
Google Goggles
GOOG-411
Google Web Light
Google+
Grasshopper (mobile app)
Google Hangouts
Google Helpouts
IGoogle
Google Image Labeler
Google Image Swirl
Inbox by Gmail
Google Insights for Search
Knol
Google Labs
Google Latitude
Google Lively
Google Mashup Editor
Meebo
Google Moderator
Google News & Weather
Google Notebook
Google Offers
Google Optimize
Orkut
Google Page Creator
Google Pay Send
Picasa
Picnik
Google Questions and Answers
Google Reader
San Francisco Digital Inclusion Strategy
San Francisco Municipal Wireless
Google Schemer
Google SearchWiki
Google Sidewiki
Google Spaces
Google Squared
Google Stadia
Google Surveys
Google Sync
Tez (software)
Urchin (software)
Google URL Shortener
Google Video
Google Wave
Worm Game
ZygoteBody

It's a long list. One day I feel like google will complete it's companies mission statement and finally discontinue every last one of its products by mistake.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Speaking of, Ars Technica has a thing about google’s culture making it impossible to create a chat app that doesn’t suck.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I'm not sure what's stopping them from infesting it with ads or ruining it some other way, but Google haven't hosed up Keep yet.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
They're getting rid of the HTML-only inboxes on Gmail soon. My dad lives in the middle of nowhere with lovely internet, and the current Gmail takes ages to load for him. Everything online is optimized for people who have a high-speed connection that never falters.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Chiming in late to say that “they type fast on phone keyboards” is a crock of poo poo. To people using phones “fast” is like 60WPM which is impressive for geriatrics or chimpanzees

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

use overcast for podcast. one dude wrote updates and manages it as a side job and as a result it isn't MBAd or UXed to death. free with small banner ads or a one-time purchase to remove em

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ghost emoji posted:

They're getting rid of the HTML-only inboxes on Gmail soon. My dad lives in the middle of nowhere with lovely internet, and the current Gmail takes ages to load for him. Everything online is optimized for people who have a high-speed connection that never falters.

There are a lot of good mail clients for desktop and Android around(I assume for Apple too, but idk). I use K-9 on Android and Thunderbird on Windows. Nobody has to use that slow garbage Gmail UI

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I installed a cassette player in the DIN1 slot of my car.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

GABA ghoul posted:

There are a lot of good mail clients for desktop and Android around(I assume for Apple too, but idk). I use K-9 on Android and Thunderbird on Windows. Nobody has to use that slow garbage Gmail UI

Until they stop supporting SMTP and IMAP I guess, in favor of their own proprietary protocols. I believe it's just a matter of time. OK maybe they will allow external clients to rewrite for those new protocols. MS did this recently so I had to write a python app using their own protocols instead, ostensibly done as a security move.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Seconding the K9 recommendation, it's extremely customizable and works great with multiple accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Absolutely no way this could end in disaster.