Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Xjakk should host the Oscars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Yo please don’t bother the monkeys. They’re busy right now.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Crescent Wrench posted:

I get all the info I need from the On Cinema Oscar Special.

:hfive:

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Arc Hammer posted:

Xjakk should host the Oscars.

:cheers:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Like what was Verhoven trying to do with Showgirls

It's baffling which means he probably didn't succeed but fun fun movie regardless

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's baffling which means he probably didn't succeed but fun fun movie regardless

He was trying to continue loving Elizabeth Berkley. (And make an MGM-style musical, and also make as much money as he made the last time he filmed a Joe Eszterhas script.)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

I was just watching some interview with Neil Patrick Harris, possibly Hot Ones, and he mentioned how Verhoeven had no direction for comedy. NPH was asking what kind of humor to add to a scene and Verhoeven was just "I don't understand your American humor, just do what you think is funny."

So Verhoeven was probably great at the very tiny niche he was king, but otherwise he might not be the same level of genius.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

kalel posted:

tar hosed. maybe your parents are complicated human beings with their own inner lives. perhaps they have a unique combination of interests that can't be categorized or put into a box. namaste

hmm

nah

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mozi posted:

trying to craft a joke about the Black Eyed Peas re-watching Tar but maybe it's best left as an exercise to the reader

Fergie was addicted to Meth not Tar.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think the Oscars are a complete joke, but I still enjoy watching as many of the Best Picture nominees as I'm able to. Half of the ones this year are movies I've thought were incredible.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Space Kablooey posted:

See I'm happy about that because that's less sw content

:hmmyes:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think Maestro is the only best picture nom I have zero interest in seeing. Grumpy Paul Giamatti winning over an abandoned teen is pretty much guaranteed to be at least pleasant. Past Lives I've heard nothing but raves. American Fiction looks excellent just from the trailer. Zone of Interest looks totally hosed up.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

PostNouveau posted:

I think Maestro is the only best picture nom I have zero interest in seeing.

it's probably the worst nominee since american sniper.

wait, I just remembered black panther was nominated for best picture lol

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like all his films, he was holding up a mirror and saying "Zis is you, America. Zis is what you are like"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpOBXh02rVc

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Like all his films, he was holding up a mirror and saying "Zis is you, America. Zis is what you are like"

All his films? What was the mirror he was holding up to America in Basic Instinct? Or Hollow Man? or Total Recall?

Because his satires are so amazing, people forget that they only make up a small minority of his filmography.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

No

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Question, does anyone else find themselves a little bit annoyed at the online reclamation of Tom Cruise in recent years? I don't think doing your own stunts should be reason enough for people to ignore all of the creepy poo poo with Scientology and Katie Holmes.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
in the past decade tom cruise has made 7 good movies and 2 bad ones, it's hard to think of anyone else with that kid of record

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, this looks unbelievably lame

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I recognise the thing but no longer clap. I tire of the thing.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

they're trying so hard to make ghostbusters happen

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Question, does anyone else find themselves a little bit annoyed at the online reclamation of Tom Cruise in recent years? I don't think doing your own stunts should be reason enough for people to ignore all of the creepy poo poo with Scientology and Katie Holmes.

My opinion on Cruise was set some time ago: The man is committed to acting and films and I respect it.

He's a real life weirdo and possibly worse, but I completely separate the two.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Stink Billyums posted:

in the past decade tom cruise has made 7 good movies and 2 bad ones, it's hard to think of anyone else with that kid of record

John Cazale had an incredible 100% hit-rate in his career.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Zokari posted:

I’m not sure why though? Like, you made a bunch of attempts to remake ghostbusters and they all sucked and no one liked them.

I used to have an aquarium as a kid and I had a fiddler crab who lived in it who was a sadistic dick. He would find fish lurking near the bottom of the tank, pull all their fins off and wave their corpses around in his giant claw perhaps to make us all bear witness to his atrocities. Maybe try waving around the corpse of Caddyshack, Weird Science or Goonies instead? *

*Please do not do this

E: also the crab eventually escaped the tank and was promptly eaten by a dog.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 29, 2024

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Bill made one lame joke and they milked it twice in two minutes

Ghostbusters is a race to the bottom

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It was bad enough having the mini marshmallow men in the last movie, and the trailer has them AGAIN!?

Fakeedit: totally unrelated, but I got the Mask of the Phantasm UHD release and these stupid loving assholes included ONLY the cropped wide screen release. This movie was originally storyboarded and began production as a direct to video 4:3 release, with 16:9 being a late addition for the surprise theatrical release.

This is so loving stupid

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Zokari posted:

I mean, here is the full list from Wikipedia of all Sony/Columbia franchises they still control...

• 21 Jump Street‎
  • Anaconda (film series)‎
  • The Baby-Sitters Club‎
  • Bad Boys (franchise)‎
  • Charlie's Angels (franchise)‎
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (franchise)‎
  • Crime Doctor (character) films
  • Days of Our Lives
  • Death Wish (franchise)
  • Dragon Tattoo Stories (film series)‎
  • Fantasy Island‎
  • Ghost Rider (film series)
  • Ghostbusters
  • Gidget films
  • Goosebumps
  • The Grudge (film series)
  • Hotel Transylvania
  • I Know What You Did Last Summer (franchise)
  • Jumanji
  • Jungle Jim films
  • The Karate Kid (franchise)
  • Men in Black (franchise)
  • Mexico Trilogy
  • Robert Langdon (film series)‎
  • Rusty (film series)
  • Sony's Spider-Man Universe‎
  • Spider-Verse (franchise)‎
  • Stuart Little (franchise)
  • The Three Stooges
  • The Whistler films‎
  • The Young and the Restless‎
  • Zombieland (franchise)‎

They're not exactly sitting on a deep bench. So they've gotta keep putting the big pro who should have retired a long time ago up to bat. It's not like a 2023 Gidget remake would make any money.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
wtf don’t ruin the real ghostbusters too. The Lovecraft episode still holds up

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We love terrible CGI in our movies don't we folks.

edit: lol the library ghost is back jesus christ

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 29, 2024

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LanceHunter posted:

It's not like a 2023 Gidget remake would make any money.

After I typed this post, I did a quick GIS for Gidget, and upon seeing the publicity stills I realized that my statement is 100% wrong. Look at this poo poo:

A modern-day Gidget with, like, Zendaya in the lead role and Jacob Elordi & Timothée Chalamet as the romantic rivals would sell so many loving tickets to the zoomers that Sony Pictures would be able to buy Disney.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i dont like movies anymore

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

dreezy posted:

i dont like movies anymore

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

LanceHunter posted:

All his films? What was the mirror he was holding up to America in Basic Instinct? Or Hollow Man? or Total Recall?

Because his satires are so amazing, people forget that they only make up a small minority of his filmography.

If the point is that Americans are greed, power, and sex obsessed psychos, then that tracks.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Stink Billyums posted:

The Mission Impossible movies are overwhelmingly fine, but they don't warrant how gaga people have gone for him lately. If everything was on the level of Top Gun Maverick and Edge of Tomorrow then maybe, but they aren't.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I am hereby challenging Paul Verhoeven fans to watch one of his Dutch movies (which is most of his movies).

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Oh wow you mean absolutely none of the throngs of people who saw the ghosts actually saw the ghosts and everything is reset so they have to prove themselves again in exactly the same way as before?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Does anyone own "fatal games" and want an alternative slip cover? I forgot I donated to Vinegar Syndrome and they sent me this interesting slip cover, but I don't own the movie. You can have it for free if I ever make it to the post office. Not my pictures, stolen from reddit:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Look it’s the guy he called dickless! Remember that? You think he gets called dickless again? Haha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I swear they tried a Fantasy Island reboot at some point but I may be thinking of Hawaii Five O