Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Using the xbox controller was going good for a bit, but little things keep going wrong that make me just say gently caress it. I'll load in my bind file, everything will be working right, but then I zone and lose functionality. For some reason my right trigger+dpad binds stop working. Dpad by itself will activate the same spot on the tray sometimes, instead of enemy/friend target cycling. Sometimes the Rtrigget+dpad just doesn't do anything even though Rtrigger+button works fine and ltrigger/lbumper/rbumper+dpad all work normally.

I'm just going to have to accept that that this is not a lounge in bed game i can play with a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Soonmot posted:

Using the xbox controller was going good for a bit, but little things keep going wrong that make me just say gently caress it. I'll load in my bind file, everything will be working right, but then I zone and lose functionality. For some reason my right trigger+dpad binds stop working. Dpad by itself will activate the same spot on the tray sometimes, instead of enemy/friend target cycling. Sometimes the Rtrigget+dpad just doesn't do anything even though Rtrigger+button works fine and ltrigger/lbumper/rbumper+dpad all work normally.

I'm just going to have to accept that that this is not a lounge in bed game i can play with a controller.

For what it's worth (probably nothing) sometimes the same thing happens with my regular ol' keyboard, a modifier key just gets "stuck on" and I have to tap it a couple of times before the system snaps out of opposite day.

I'm sorry that joypad controls are turning out so flaky for you. I think part of it might be that they were kind of experimental and there wasn't super a lot of motivation for people to really give them a go, since practically by definition almost everyone playing Homecoming either burned their favorite mouse and keyboard layout into their muscle memory or came up with their own joypad translation solution outside the game, like a joy2key thing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah when it worked, it was great. But I also started up a couple of defenders and even if everything was working perfectly, the limitations of a controller in a game designed around m+kb became apparent. The advice and binds you gave me were great and I sincerely thank you for the effort.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hit 22 and dunked a lot of infamy into a set of assorted 25 IOs. Hopefully that'll be a nice boost. Really enjoying this Fire/Energy sentinel so far.

Ended up making her a Modern/"Cinematic Universe" costume to go alongside her silverage spandex.

Compared to the original outfit (which used the dull tights) its so... shiny and textured. Kinda wish that defense upper torso didn't have the white bits extend down the arms and instead just covered the shoulders. Oh well. Couldn't find a set of more detailed gloves/boots that I liked, but I think the current ones still work even if they are lacking in complexity (also no heels is a bonus).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I was thankful that I discovered a really fun and effective build early, and it was playing MM and watching my little dudes do stuff. And then people talk about numbers and BiS abilities, and I watch my little dudes do some stuff. I will now go back to Homecoming and see if I still have little dudes and they do stuff.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Mulva posted:

I was thankful that I discovered a really fun and effective build early, and it was playing MM and watching my little dudes do stuff. And then people talk about numbers and BiS abilities, and I watch my little dudes do some stuff. I will now go back to Homecoming and see if I still have little dudes and they do stuff.
I know people tend to avoid Red Side stuff these days, but Mayhem missions are perfect for MM fun. All kinds of things for your little dudes to play with and make pretty explosions.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

One of the best parts about the recent population explosion is that red side isn't dead :unsmith:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Huh just tried to log in and the launcher never loaded the manifest. Did I remember someone saying that they're no longer using tequila as a launcher?

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
They're trying to move away from it but they haven't fully depreciated Tequila yet. Maybe try revalidating?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

S.D. posted:

They're trying to move away from it but they haven't fully depreciated Tequila yet. Maybe try revalidating?

Something else is going on, after I posted I went to the homecoming forums and the link to their launcher isn't working either.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Just logged in with their new launcher and checked the 'Getting Started' link and the exe download worked - here is a direct link to see if it works for you: https://manifest.cohhc.gg/launcher/hcinstall.exe

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
huh. Something on my end. My VPN is off and I did not connect.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
y'ever go to make a character and be like, how was this name not taken

that's a good feeling

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I rolled an ice/time controller yesterday named Samurai Slowdown and felt the same way :unsmith:

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

deep dish peat moss posted:

I rolled an ice/time controller yesterday named Samurai Slowdown and felt the same way :unsmith:

Oh my god. You've become on of my all time favorite arcade games as a kid, congratulations. Devon Aire is also a great name and I gotta say, a wonderful color scheme. I just got into this and settled on making a defender, and she's quickly becoming one of my favorite mmo characters in a very, very long time. You guys are inspiring me to take some screenshots later.

Actually, while I'm in here. I'm about level 18, and I've finally got a question about build making. Besides the travel powers I want, what powers should I be considering out of all the basic pools? I noticed when looking at the wiki that defender seems to get stronger versions of the leadership toggle buffs than anyone else, so that seems like a good bet. The defensive ones in the fighting pool also seem cool, but those two combined seem like an awful lot of toggles to be throwing on top of a build. Phase shift in stealth also seems like it could be a cool emergency button for a healer to have. I feel like there's too much stuff I potentially want and it's locking me up when deciding what basic sets to focus on.

Very specifically from the point of view of wanting my nature defender to be a cool support and healer for group content down the line, what would you all consider the more must have or hard pass general powers? I don't want you guys to build this character for me or anything, but a nudge in the right direction would definitely be appreciated.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

As far as minmaxing is concerned you pretty much have it. When it comes to end-game builds, power pool powers are more useful as something to stick defense set IOs in rather than for the actual powers themselves, but you can run all the toggles if you have endurance for it for some sweet defensive boosts. While you're leveling and especially on your first character just take whatever sounds cool/useful/thematic to you, you get plenty of respecs just from leveling up and you can buy more for 1mil inf (which is virtually nothing - that's 5 reward merits). And this game isn't really difficult enough to require minmaxing your build.

Endurance in the long run is not as big of a deal as it is while unfunded and low level, there are lots of options in the long run to increase your recovery such as putting the Panacea and Numina's procs in Health and the Performance Shifter proc in Stamina, or taking the Ageless incarnate power at 50 (this alone essentially gives unlimited endurance).

But these are the generally more popular ones in terms of the strength that they give your overall build (with set IOs):

Speed:
Hasten (useful for the actual power itself, not as a set mule)

Leadership:
Maneuvers (lot of people do only this one - buff is good especially when multiple people have it, and it works as a defense mule)
Assault (not really that great overall, and there are no IO sets that go in it, but if you have a power pick and you're not sure what else to do with it you may as well).
Tactics (mostly as a mule for tohit buff enhancement sets instead of the actual buff, as generally people build enough accuracy on their own)

Fighting:
Boxing/Kick (mandatory to unlock the other 2, not generally used)
Tough (Resist set mule + strong s/l resist toggle)
Weave (Defense set mule + an extra defense toggle)

Concealment (both mostly as a defense toggle or mule for defense sets):
Stealth
Infiltration

Leaping:
Combat Jumping (defense toggle/set mule)

Flight:
Hover (defense toggle/set mule)

Stealth (Concealment) and Teleport Target (Teleportation) will let you skip your groups right to the objective in a mission, which can be nice for speedrunning things like TFs.
Sorcery has some fun buffs that aren't super strong but they help with the class fantasy of buffing your team

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 27, 2024

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Hasten imo is the only thing that's a must for every build. There's room for variance, but a go-to selection of power pools can usually look like

Speed - Hasten
Fighting - Boxing, Tough, Weave
Leadership - Maneuvers, Tactics

And then add your favorite travel power. If you pick Super Speed, you can pick up Combat Jumping. If you pick Flight, you can also pick up Hover. It is a lot of toggles, but Defenders have a built in endurance discount while teaming and Nature has tools for managing endurance as well.

Also a general word of advice is that healing in CoH is kind of the least important support related thing you can possibly do, and calling yourself a "healer" in LFG is something people tend to make fun of. Generally speaking you want to prioritize your big buffs, debuffs, and absorb powers to mitigate damage before it ever happens, which is kind of a big departure from other MMOs that have a lot of reactive healing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Also a general word of advice is that healing in CoH is kind of the least important support related thing you can possibly do, and calling yourself a "healer" in LFG is something people tend to make fun of. Generally speaking you want to prioritize your big buffs, debuffs, and absorb powers to mitigate damage before it ever happens, which is kind of a big departure from other MMOs that have a lot of reactive healing.

This is absolutely true but to set your (brainSnakes) mind at ease re: this and Nature Defender - Nature is still a cool as hell set and your heals are still good because they come with +resist all (Wild Growth), +endurance recovery (Lifegiving Spores) and Absorb shields (Wild Bastion). Regrowth is the one that's not great which you'll probably drop at higher levels, though some people drop Lifegiving Spores too.

Pretty much every other power that Nature has is great in one way or another. Also who doesn't love planting little forests everywhere you go :unsmith:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 27, 2024

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Also a general word of advice is that healing in CoH is kind of the least important support related thing you can possibly do, and calling yourself a "healer" in LFG is something people tend to make fun of.

This is true. If you see a tell saying "need heal0r for ITF!!", stay away, it's someone who just came from WoW and has no clue.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Pretty much every other power that Nature has is great in one way or another. Also who doesn't love planting little forests everywhere you go :unsmith:

It's funny you say that. I've noticed that a lot of the obviously nature themed heroes I've seen hopping around look like kind of samey satyr and elves with the leaves growing off yourself costume set used a whole lot. My hero doesn't have a quality pun name like Flesh Forge or yours, but I'm really proud of my science based, gun toting trash-plant lady.

I really appreciate the writeups from both you and Abroham. It's good to know what you mentioned about some powers being used more for enhancement sets. I've just started finding my first enhancements with set bonuses as recipes and remembering that those even existed. I'm not going to worry too hard about minmaxing that stuff until I'm higher level, because right now that stuff is beyond me. Also good to hear that endurance problems become less pronounced at higher levels, because I'm definitely feeling crunched by it right now, and that's a big part of where my concerns were coming from in the first place.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'm extremely on board for this. The whole reason I chose to build my defender around the nature set was that it seemed to have a bunch of cool aoe buffs and debuffs, instead of multiple targeted heals I couldn't even use on myself. Buffing and debuffing characters have always been a thing I've been a fan of, and that's precisely what I was hoping to sign up for. So I'm happy to hear that'll in fact be the case at end game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Hasten imo is the only thing that's a must for every build.

The only exception for this for me is defensive powersets that have a status protection click instead of toggle, because you can only set one autocast power, although you can do some poo poo like bind one of them to share the key for move forward or whatever

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

brainSnakes posted:

Also good to hear that endurance problems become less pronounced at higher levels, because I'm definitely feeling crunched by it right now, and that's a big part of where my concerns were coming from in the first place.

what I'd say is to identify some cheap IO sets that'd apply to your main powers - your main attack chain and anything you tend to use repeatedly in fights - and get those slotted in. IO sets have a noticeable effect on your endurance economy because they pack so much more bonus into the same number of slots

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So this came up in the NSFW Randomwaffle 3 thread. Any goons know the story behind it? Was it a sincere thing someone on the OForums made? Was it goon made, to mock pubbies?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

with the way the game is designed, minmaxing is neither required from the gamebalance or expected by the playerbase, but also any given party you join will have about three to five players that are functionally immortal on their own even in a +4/x8 setting and will instantly delete 90% of every trash pull, so that might affect what powers will feel fun/be impactful to use. when i leveled a plant/nature controller, a lot of enemy-based debuff or ground-placed buff/debuff powers (including my controls at times) felt completely pointless because people might not spend more than ten seconds in range before moving on. player-based buffs at least have the advantage of lasting you several pulls, making the squishier party members not instantly fold to loose bosses and making the powerhouses more efficient

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's really sort of the opposite of the experience I have with those sorts of parties - the player-based buffs feel useless in them because the players don't need any buffs to be incarnate gods, but the enemy-based debuffs provide very strong things that those players can't easily work into their builds such as -res and -regen, which are two of the biggest things you can do to improve a team like that's efficiency against AVs, making them some of the strongest debuffs in the game. especially in TFs with tanky AVs you have to fight like Tinpex or ITF.

But that is overall a pretty big problem with CoX as a whole - the power scaling on the high end is so strong that in true high-end parties, brutes/tanks/blasters are the only "really good" classes, things like controllers/doms become mostly useless, and defenders get relegated to "debuff enemy regen or max HP". But you can do hardmode TFs that remove IO set bonuses and incarnate powers if you want to play a version of CoX where every AT is useful.

IME parties like that aren't the majority unless you explicitly try to put them together that way though. They're common for Tinpex but not most of the other stuff I do.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 28, 2024

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

that's the 10% of the time those powers do shine, but even in an ITF it's mostly the final boss that lasts an appreciable amount of time due to its gimmick.

on the flipside a week or two ago i joined a Doctor Khan TF where the final boss lasted long enough to use lore pets twice, so, you know, you also shouldn't not take -res and -regen debuffs because the times they're useful, they're really useful

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It does really suck because getting a character to 50 and putting together a strong build for them is what I like to do most in this game, but then those aren't the most fun characters to play. I have one of those brutes that can solo ITF if I wanted to but playing it feels flat and unvaried, no matter what the content is I just dive into the middle of everything and press my rotation until the end.

If they added a server where incarnates and IO sets weren't available I'd be all over that.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

So this came up in the NSFW Randomwaffle 3 thread. Any goons know the story behind it? Was it a sincere thing someone on the OForums made? Was it goon made, to mock pubbies?

Almost certainly to mock pubbies. Hell, I think I remember seeing them in the Pocket D on Virtue.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Kheldarn posted:

We did this way back. Virtue was the roleplay server so it also had a large furry population. To grief them some of us rolled up similarly dressed characters called Fursecution Agents. Because of the 20 character limit the names were two letters so it would be like Fursecution Agent 5G. Typically it happened when we would plan for a task force at a certain time and we were waiting for everyone to show up. Got thirty minutes to kill? gently caress it, lets go to Virtue, stand under the statue in Atlas and troll furries for a half hour. I would usually find a Martial Arts scrapper and tell him to respec out of Dragon's Tail, Crane Kick and Eagle's Claw because they are known furry abilities or point out that the City of Heroes game was a sandbox, not a litterbox so the catgirls had to leave.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

As someone who likes to minmax in rpgs and pursue a combination of fun build I enjoy, then making it as powerful as I possibly can, this conversation about the endgame of CoH is relevant to my interests.

I think the most important consideration I have to add to the discussion so far is that I came up with an even better name for my machine / nature fusion character and it wasn't taken on my server yet - Root Directory

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The frustrating thing about minmaxing in this game is that there's a pretty wide-open space for doing it, and the process is intricate enough that it becomes a fun puzzle if that's what you're into, but the end result of it is that you can take any character and make them not only virtually invincible but capable of overcoming pretty much any obstacle in the game. So it's fun to do but then not as fun to play as once you've done it :(

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

brainSnakes posted:

I think the most important consideration I have to add to the discussion so far is that I came up with an even better name for my machine / nature fusion character and it wasn't taken on my server yet - Root Directory

Oh man, now I want to make a bots/sonic named Sudo Chile.

I don't know how big the intersection is between CoH players, Linux nerds and Jimi Hendrix fans, but that group will love it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

zzMisc posted:

Oh man, now I want to make a bots/sonic named Sudo Chile.

I don't know how big the intersection is between CoH players, Linux nerds and Jimi Hendrix fans, but that group will love it.

*sheepishly raises hand* :sweatdrop:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

brainSnakes posted:

Yeeeah that's the good stuff. I live for pun names.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Gimmick characters can be such a grab bag but that's part of the fun, I loved running with permateams or theme groups back in the day, and some of them even had staying power after 50/IOs/incarnate powers. Like, my kin/elec defender (Short Bus) would never win awards for damage but I took him all the way from Issue 1 to endstage Incarnate content because there was always something useful to a team in just about any context. Once they finally introduced semi-decent EndMod IO sets it became a fun challenge to see just how far you could push endurance drain to actually see some effect on AVs and the like. It was the furthest thing from overpowered but it genuinely worked to have some little effect! And, as proof of concept, that was enough. Some of my favorite builds have just been fun little detours or proofs of concept like that,.with utility in a variety of situations, even if the places where they could truly shine are relatively rare (Plant/Storm controller was another combo I loved, with the ability to solo +4/x8 doors on BAF trials or ITF ambush waves what with all the pets/pseudopets/DoT and control patches).

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Heathen posted:

We did this way back. Virtue was the roleplay server so it also had a large furry population. To grief them some of us rolled up similarly dressed characters called Fursecution Agents. Because of the 20 character limit the names were two letters so it would be like Fursecution Agent 5G. Typically it happened when we would plan for a task force at a certain time and we were waiting for everyone to show up. Got thirty minutes to kill? gently caress it, lets go to Virtue, stand under the statue in Atlas and troll furries for a half hour. I would usually find a Martial Arts scrapper and tell him to respec out of Dragon's Tail, Crane Kick and Eagle's Claw because they are known furry abilities or point out that the City of Heroes game was a sandbox, not a litterbox so the catgirls had to leave.

I recall this happening to me (MA scrapper) but the goon immediately got heated because I had the PVP unique ticking over my head and they noticed it fire off. At the time those went for anywhere from 2 billion to 10 billion.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just did the sewer trial for the first time in like 18 years with a completely unprepared group, because it's the WST, and that was some of the most fun I've had in this game in a while. It actually pushed my expensive minmaxed savage/bio brute build to the limit and was extremely chaotic. So I guess there is still difficult content in this game after all :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 29, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh yeah, and try some of the "hard modes" for the various TFs, even 1-star ITF was fairly hard.

So at some point they gave Force Field a bunch of damage resist debuff, I didn't notice that :stare:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I think that was very recent, yeah, and I've been meaning to check it out. My main/favorite for a long time was illusion/FF but once Time Manipulation was added I switched and never looked back, until now. Could be some fun here.

Sadly, some of the best times with repel-type powers are long gone, from before they implemented physics changes. I loved sending Short Bus barreling through Perez Park, bowling through Hellions and whatnot, especially if people were street sweeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

brainSnakes posted:

As someone who likes to minmax in rpgs and pursue a combination of fun build I enjoy, then making it as powerful as I possibly can, this conversation about the endgame of CoH is relevant to my interests.

You should definitely be in the discord then.