Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he humiliates them on live television by making them strip and bark at him like a dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he humiliates them on live television by making them strip and bark at him like a dog

its gotta be frustrating to write a whole three hour wrestling show only to have vince stroll in and say, im gonna need about 45 minutes out there

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Sorry if this counts as just digging for poo poo, I've seen loads of people try to implicate Danielson for being Laurinaitus' son-in-law, but I haven't seen anyone bring up the long standing rumour about Laurinaitus in the jacuzzi with the Bella Twins. That seemed to go around for years but I don't know if it's just bullshit that everyone's forgotten about? After a quick search, this came from Maria Kanellis. An article that also mentions their mother persuaded them to work for WWE, and ended up marrying Johnny.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

keithy george posted:

Sorry if this counts as just digging for poo poo, I've seen loads of people try to implicate Danielson for being Laurinaitus' son-in-law, but I haven't seen anyone bring up the long standing rumour about Laurinaitus in the jacuzzi with the Bella Twins. That seemed to go around for years but I don't know if it's just bullshit that everyone's forgotten about? After a quick search, this came from Maria Kanellis. An article that also mentions their mother persuaded them to work for WWE, and ended up marrying Johnny.

Blaming Danielson because his mother-in-law decided to marry a piece of poo poo is a reddit-level take.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.pwinsider.com/article.php?id=179774

quote:

McMahon likely would have dug in and refused to walk away from his TKO Board of Directors Executive Chairman position, but once Slim Jim, who holds the largest sponsorship deal in WWE history, was willing to cut their losses and "pause" their WWE relationship, it was just a matter of time before other advertisers and sponsors followed suit, and that was it for McMahon. As one source noted on Friday, once true money was in real danger of being lost, "it was just a matter of time" but that the timetable for McMahon resigning happened faster than anyone truly expected.

quote:

On Friday, there was also a belief (and depending on who you are, perhaps a concern) internally that Endeavor might seek to sweep out anyone close to Vince McMahon and whatever remaining support team he still had in place in order to have a complete "fresh start" for the company going forward. There were employees who exited the company when Vince initially resigned that were part of his personal team who returned when he forced his way back in. For those that have remained with WWE post-Endeavor purchase, the belief among those we've spoken with is that a connection to McMahon may be a major negative going forward for their WWE status. There are a lot of people waiting to see how this shakes out in the days ahead.

As one source noted to me this morning, "if anyone believes for a second" that Endeavor owner Ari Emanuel wanted to discover the type of allegations brought forth in the Janel Grant lawsuit, not just about a company he purchased - but a company that has been employing his own daughter at WWE HQ for several years - they "don't know Emanuel" and they don't understand how "ferociously he will eradicate" anything that needs to be taken care of to protect his businesses. The same source noted that if Emanuel was willing to walk away from Saudi Arabia investments years ago without "blinking an eye", he'll have no problem "removing anything and anyone still remaining" that could potentially hurt or impact WWE's business going forward.

quote:

Whatever fallout is still to come from this situation - from a legal or corporate standpoint - we'll update as it is confirmed, because this story is far from over.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

2) In the discussion of this, I've noticed a striking similarity to the discussion around Hogwarts Legacy. It's....eerily similar. All the same "and yet you wear shoes and use a phone!", same weird insistence on flexing about how you consumed the product, same bragging about all the money it's making, same language about how pushing back against that is bullying. All for the sake of defending their god given right to consume a truly terrible product without criticism or questioning.

I dunno who's worse between ol' Just Kidding Rowling or Vince. I don't want to think about it very much.

Also this is a nitpick but I don't think it's possible for Vince to have shown anything to thousands of people because I don't think WWE has thousands of employees?

The way the culture war is getting into everything these days is just terrible, and the mentality of the people who have to show they are on the right side by being shitheads about it are super fun, great society we have here

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Truther Vandross posted:

Blaming Danielson because his mother-in-law decided to marry a piece of poo poo is a reddit-level take.

For clarity, I'm not trying to blame him, I think these things of hunting for what wrestlers tangentally know is ridiculous. I was pivoting one of these points into remembering something that might actually be directly related to one of the people in the lawsuit.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

MJeff posted:

2) In the discussion of this, I've noticed a striking similarity to the discussion around Hogwarts Legacy. It's....eerily similar. All the same "and yet you wear shoes and use a phone!", same weird insistence on flexing about how you consumed the product, same bragging about all the money it's making, same language about how pushing back against that is bullying. All for the sake of defending their god given right to consume a truly terrible product without criticism or questioning.

At least the Hogwarts thread was closed and anybody who wanted to so desperately talk about it shamed away.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I'd feel nothing short of joy if Slim Jim ended up being the reason the fed was finally cleaned of its top percentile awful people

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jeff Jarrett gonna finish the story and become head booker of WWE.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MorningMoon posted:

I'd feel nothing short of joy if Slim Jim ended up being the reason the fed was finally cleaned of its top percentile awful people

They’re already back as a sponsor so I wouldn’t get your hopes up

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

They’re already back as a sponsor so I wouldn’t get your hopes up

The hope is that even though it was temporary, Slim Jim having pulled out will provoke Endeavor/Emanuel to go through with a magnifying glass and say "who the gently caress do we have to get rid of for this to never happen again?"

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

considering there are more victims and their stories are just as likely to go public, now is the time to get rid of folks whose names might show up in future cases.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

JUNGLE BOY posted:

considering there are more victims and their stories are just as likely to go public, now is the time to get rid of folks whose names might show up in future cases.
If you get rid of them before they show up in the case, you admit that you knew who they were...

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That DICK! posted:

Famously consensual relationships between boss and employees

I know thereve been a couple over the years but it was odd to me how few accounts against Vince have come from female wrestlers, given they also tend to be young attractive women. I wonder if he preys specifically on contracted employees so he can just threaten their livelihood if he doesn’t get his way

That's my thing. With this kind of power imbalance there really is no good way Vince can have a relationship with someone at his company at an entry level. Like he's terrible even if everyone agreed to everything, which they didn't. There is no hard enough people can criticize everyone at the top of WWE right now and I wish they were going harder.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hope they can HHH, I don’t want to see his stupid nepo face anymore.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

keithy george posted:

If you get rid of them before they show up in the case, you admit that you knew who they were...

the best time to have done literally anything was when it happened. The second best time to do literally anything is ASAP

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
They did already get rid of Dunn, which I have to assume was a pre-emptive move related to all of this, considering one of the many long-standing WWE open secrets is that he's also a massive creep who's not above abusing and manipulating others. I actually had him pegged as one of the key players behind them getting so much obviously fetishy stuff on-screen, like people (mostly women) getting covered in food on a semi-regular basis, but I'm not sure if I had fully considered that it could've gone much further than that, much like with Vince himself.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Squall posted:

I stopped watching WWE, but not for any moral reasons, I stopped because the product sucked poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKUMV_YXCGw

Same here. Right around the time of the Authority and HHH booked himself to win the title again. Nope. I was done.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Authority storyline was some interminable poo poo.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

It's cost/benefit. He won't get rid of them for moral reasons. If they bring more value to the company than the amount they cost in negative PR then they're golden.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I think Danielson has just as much culpability in this as Cody, that is to say none whatsoever, but only one of those guys is getting poo poo for things he had nothing to do with.

I truly don’t think anyone outside of specific wrestlers, guys who are as evil as Vince, knew. Brock is a sociopath who can do something like stomp to death a nest of baby birds and feel nothing, of course he was Vince’s accomplice, but a guy like Roman, a deeply religious family man would have been kept away from this, because he’d have quit had he known. Guys like Sami couldn’t have known, I just don’t buy that every single worker there was in on it and tolerated it.

Like I wouldn’t connect Tony Khan to Vince’s crimes because he hired WWE crew, or employs Jericho who was close buddies with Vince well enough to attend concerts with him and ride on his plane, or Jim Ross who was Vince’s guy for decades who hired Brock. To do that would be massively unfair and weird.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nah Cody is a loving scumbag.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Idk what Cody knew or didn't know, but anyone that slick with the media and PR can't be trusted.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Nah Cody is a loving scumbag.

I am really sorry he hurt you so bad by not turning heel in a way obvious enough for you. I hope you can work through that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

I think Danielson has just as much culpability in this as Cody, that is to say none whatsoever, but only one of those guys is getting poo poo for things he had nothing to do with.

I truly don’t think anyone outside of specific wrestlers, guys who are as evil as Vince, knew. Brock is a sociopath who can do something like stomp to death a nest of baby birds and feel nothing, of course he was Vince’s accomplice, but a guy like Roman, a deeply religious family man would have been kept away from this, because he’d have quit had he known. Guys like Sami couldn’t have known, I just don’t buy that every single worker there was in on it and tolerated it.

Like I wouldn’t connect Tony Khan to Vince’s crimes because he hired WWE crew, or employs Jericho who was close buddies with Vince well enough to attend concerts with him and ride on his plane, or Jim Ross who was Vince’s guy for decades who hired Brock. To do that would be massively unfair and weird.

Yeah

His answer at the press conference loving sucked though

As did Bryan's "you forgive people you love" soft headed bullshit the first time things came out.

They don't really have blame but it would be cool if they took the blinders off for a second and assumed malice once in their lives.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 29, 2024

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Idk if I'd be so gung ho about a guy who negotiated personally with Vince and was close to him but I know you love him more than mommy. Danielson is also getting a lot of flack online for past comments and always being positive in interviews about Vince, as is anybody who gave weird comments (cena, mcafee)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It would just be cool if all the blameless and uninvolved folks had a reaction beyond "well we're not all Vince so the paychecks better keep coming Mr advertisers uh I mean it's a tragedy and love can blind you to who someone really is and boy I hope we keep getting paid"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Doing his "we're a family" poo poo makes Cody an accessory after the fact as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely no way to justify trying to paper over that rotten culture with talk like that.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

R.I.P. Baby

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

MJeff posted:

Doing his "we're a family" poo poo makes Cody an accessory after the fact as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely no way to justify trying to paper over that rotten culture with talk like that.

In another life Cody would be a middle manager for a big Fortune 500 Company and would be the guy handpicked to deliver bad news since he's so good at spitting bullshit and seeming genuine.

I'm not going so far as to say he's an accessory but it was really disappointing to hear about. Just like some fans, people find excuses to pretend like this stuff happened ages ago or was just limited to Vince.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s real fuckin rich both Danielson and Cody would go to bat for Vince considering how they were treated most of their WWE careers.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

I am really sorry he hurt you so bad by not turning heel in a way obvious enough for you. I hope you can work through that.

Of course you wanna spin this into some wrestling grudge or whatever. Grow the gently caress up.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

immense cope, jesus fuckin' christ

(Sorry for taking the Lord's name in vain, deeply religious Roman)

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

copium
in my soul
standing up for
cody rhodes

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

cmon. dont do that.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

A Fancy Hat posted:

In another life Cody would be a middle manager for a big Fortune 500 Company and would be the guy handpicked to deliver bad news since he's so good at spitting bullshit and seeming genuine.

Weirdly, they probably thought it was A-class damage control to have him answering questions instead of a noted man of nuance, CM Punk.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

copium
in my soul
standing up for
cody rhodes

:ughh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

If a wrestler says they "love" Vince McMahon or that WWE is a "family", they're a deeply broken human being, end of story

They may be absolutely phenomenal wrestlers or great on the mic or whatever, but if a wrestler says that poo poo even after Vince's many crimes have become public, that's some hosed up poo poo right there, I don't care who they are or how good they are in the ring or on the mic. At best they're an absolute bootlicker, and at the absolute horrible worst they knew

Just my 2 cents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)
it's just not reasonable to think that everyone in a WWE locker room had knowledge of what their boss was up to. but i also think it's naive to think that any given wrestler could not have known simply because you believe they would have taken a principled stand if they did. trying to piece together what people knew and when while being on the outside looking in is only going to drive posters mad upon the rocks