Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wonder if they’re eventually going to bring in Moonboy as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
It's been a while since S1 ended so I forgot it was revealed that Lunella's grandma has known about Lunella's antics the whole time, so that's an interesting status quo change in itself.

I just finished watching Amphibia with my 6yo and was extremely surprised. I was thinking of it as something I had to "get over with" that would be more episodic and low-key and was not prepared for where it went in S2 and especially S3! That tease of the S3 credits sequence after the S2 end was genuinely surprising.

I'm also a big sucker post She-Ra for any show that changes its credits midseason, it was cool how Darcy was added to the credits after her introduction.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sivart13 posted:

It's been a while since S1 ended so I forgot it was revealed that Lunella's grandma has known about Lunella's antics the whole time, so that's an interesting status quo change in itself.

I just finished watching Amphibia with my 6yo and was extremely surprised. I was thinking of it as something I had to "get over with" that would be more episodic and low-key and was not prepared for where it went in S2 and especially S3! That tease of the S3 credits sequence after the S2 end was genuinely surprising.

I'm also a big sucker post She-Ra for any show that changes its credits midseason, it was cool how Darcy was added to the credits after her introduction.

I liked how it soft-changed status quo aspects early on, by which I mean the Planters situation in season 2 evolved but didn't completely change yet, like Sprig still being the same person in the same position, but with an option in the future that he didn't have before (going to Newtopia University because while they liked him he wasn't mentally ready for college yet)

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 25, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Larryb posted:

New ATLA live action trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAn8DF8Ykk

I was impressed by the Netflix One Piece series so hopefully the people behind this can pull off some similar magic

Watching a cartoon 12 year old boy fight a war: endearing
Watching a real 12 year old boy fight a war: uncanny

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

New ATLA live action trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAn8DF8Ykk

I was impressed by the Netflix One Piece series so hopefully the people behind this can pull off some similar magic

honestly....that's a pretty good trailer!

i mean, it's a trailer to be sure, but it's way better than i expected. this is the most cautiously optimistic i've been since the announcement was made

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

honestly....that's a pretty good trailer!

i mean, it's a trailer to be sure, but it's way better than i expected. this is the most cautiously optimistic i've been since the announcement was made

Yeah, one fear that seems pretty prevalent was it being kind of grim but there seem to be jokes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the fact that the original creators abandoned the project a while back.

But unlike the movie this actually seems like it was made by people with some genuine love for the series (not to mention a modicum of effort) so like I said maybe we’ll get lucky and have another Netflix One Piece on our hands here

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'll admit, I was doing the Leo pointing meme in my head when June and Nyla flashed by for a second.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bumi made a cameo as well

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

koolkal posted:

Watching a cartoon 12 year old boy fight a war: endearing
Watching a real 12 year old boy fight a war: uncanny

Aang screams about letting Jack rip as he bloodbends hearts and spines out of enemies to feast on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Shame about white Sokka.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Shame about white Sokka.

Weird how that just keeps happening...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

According to what I’ve read, he’s “described by his management” as being a mixed race Native American and a Cherokee tribe member but also says he’s not part of any officially recognized tribe so I’m not sure either way honestly (apparently his fellow cast members have vouched for him though)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Ousley

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

According to what I’ve read, he’s “described by his management” as being a mixed race Native American and a Cherokee tribe member but also says he’s not part of any officially recognized tribe so I’m not sure either way honestly (apparently his fellow cast members have vouched for him though)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Ousley

As one might expect, this is very complicated. Which is to say I don't know but while it's certainly a possibility he's White he could also be part of a tribe that isn't officially listed by the government.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm predispositioned to be the biggest hater of the LA show but I've never seen any source for the actor's ethnicity other than a Reddit post and who counts as Native is a :can: for a lot of reasons.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Representation is important, but race is also kinda bullshit in general, so it gets complicated. Hollywood generally doesn't like going through a lot of effort to get people of the "correct" ethnicity for a par, so I guess the amount of work that they did put in was already a lot more than usual. Crossing that process with getting child actors also makes it more complicated.

Speaking of child actors, didn't like a few of those line reads, but well, child actors, that's gonna happen. Still not a fan of the lighting, and Appa looks bad. The fight choreography is nice though, and they've got the right instruments in the soundtrack.

Argh, I hate that they're doing the Fed ex arrow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't help that the peoples in Avatar are from cultures that deliberately mix up a lot of cultural signifiers; the Southern Water Tribe are very Inuit inspired but also use Great Plains weapons, and iirc their boats resemble Viking longboats. (Of course, quite a good idea for heavily amphibious warfare) The Fire Nation has lots of Imperial Japan but also touches of Thailand, China, and geography that resembles Iceland, and the Earth Kingdom is wildly diverse.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm cautiously optimistic about this series. The trailer looks good, but to be quite honest, I didn't really care for the first season of the original show. season 2 or 3 is when it really started moving. So if the first season isn't that impressive I will blame it on the source.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about this series. The trailer looks good, but to be quite honest, I didn't really care for the first season of the original show. season 2 or 3 is when it really started moving. So if the first season isn't that impressive I will blame it on the source.

There'll be a brief intro episode, but the rest of the season will be an in-depth, focused retelling of The Great Divide.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sort of curious if the live action series is just going to skip The Great Divide entirely (even the recap episode in the original show made fun of it for being pointless)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They should do the opposite and make the Great Divide the most important episode to the overall plot.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Great Divide, except the villagers figure out right away that Aang is bullshitting them… but decide to just roll with it anyways.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'll be interested in how "adult" they make season 1 compared to the cartoon season 1. I always think of season one being the most most childish of the original series but there were a lot of episodes that are pretty dark, starting with The Southern Air Temple and continuing with The Storm, The Blue Spirit, the Solstice episodes, The Deserter, and the finale. It just spaces out its sillier episodes throughout instead of doing them all early like season 2. So if they excise the silly stuff and just keep the content from those darker episodes the whole show will automatically feel a lot more serious. Plus they can't do any wacky cartoon faces or visual gags to take the edge off. The levity will mostly all rest on the occasional jokes.

Anyway, talking about a series that will never be adapted to live action, I can't stop rewatching Adventure Time. Its such a comfortable show. Though seasons 1 and 2 feel like almost a different show before it finds its groove in season 3.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

This is more than a little off-topic, but I was thumbing through the alumni magazine for my university which I receive in the mail every three months unsolicited, and I dug it out of the trash twice before deciding to scan this artwork from a student.

Bird Lady by https://www.deviantart.com/rigiroony. I didn't see this image on the DeviantArt itself, though. I decided to keep the magazine because it only touched a paper plate, at least until I move out.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 29, 2024

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Nice artwork, somewhere between disney channel and cartoon saloon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

The Great Divide, except the villagers figure out right away that Aang is bullshitting them… but decide to just roll with it anyways.

That shoulda been canon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1752095969506635999

So part of Sokka's arc was realizing how women can fight too so... why won't he like the Kyoshi Warriors initially now?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1752095969506635999

So part of Sokka's arc was realizing how women can fight too so... why won't he like the Kyoshi Warriors initially now?

A possible way to get around this would be to make it that he just doesn't respect any other nation’s warriors at first because they're not the heroes he remembers his father's warriors as. Which could translate into several encounters, including Jet's rebel group, and be why no one takes him seriously when he says something’s wrong.

You can even have him double down on disrespecting them because he’s actually impressed and needs to hide it because he's playing the "cool warrior" card

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 31, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think the only time Water Tribe sexism shows up is that episode (which is the kind of Moral of the Week episode where a character spontaneously grows a flaw for them to get over it in the same episode) and the waterbending guy at the end of the first season who beefs with Katara because otherwise she would have no plot. Like I'm not saying it's problematic but removing that element barely affects anything.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yeah, the northern water tribe stuff is important enough that it should probably stay, but calling "Sokka gets over his sexism" an arc feels extremely generous. The only time it ever gets remotely focused on is at Kyoshi. His story from Tales Of Ba Sing Se very easily could have veered in that direction, but he's a good sport the whole time for that imo. There is the occasional moment of casual sexism from him besides, but it doesn't really serve much purpose and I think they're basically correct that it would hit different in live action. Personally I wouldn't shed a tear if a lot of it got dropped.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

There is the occasional moment of casual sexism from him besides, but it doesn't really serve much purpose and I think they're basically correct that it would hit different in live action.

Isn't it central to his arc? He has a lot of anxiety about not being picked to go off to fight, because he's too young, but he's internalised it as personal weakness and a crisis of masculinity. Hence his constant need to prove himself and his manliness, to live up to his idealized image of his father and the other men of his village. It drives a lot of his comedy too, like forcing the kids into practice drills (what he perceives as man stuff) when really his actual task is just to babysit them (what he perceives as girl stuff).

The main thing I get out of that original article (on Entertainment Weekly) is that mild sexism is considered unable to play these days, even in the form of critique, which I suspect is an attempt to avoid one of those depiction = endorsement fallacies that a lot of media gets slapped with.

Actually the main thing I got out of it is that EW publicity photoshoots haven't got any better.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

None of what you're saying is wrong, I guess the distinction for me is that the arc isn't the sexism, the arc is the feelings of inadequacy and needing to grow up too fast. Basically, everything else informs the sexism, not the other way around. How important it is as a component of the arc is up to individual interpretation, I suppose. For me the answer is ultimately "not very," but for instance, i've never viewed him babysitting the kids at the start through that lens the way you did, and that's a totally valid reading!

For the record, I'm in full agreement that the depiction = endorsement fallacy sucks, and it sucks if that's the primary motivation for the change.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

None of what you're saying is wrong, I guess the distinction for me is that the arc isn't the sexism, the arc is the feelings of inadequacy and needing to grow up too fast. Basically, everything else informs the sexism, not the other way around. How important it is as a component of the arc is up to individual interpretation, I suppose. For me the answer is ultimately "not very," but for instance, i've never viewed him babysitting the kids at the start through that lens the way you did, and that's a totally valid reading!

For the record, I'm in full agreement that the depiction = endorsement fallacy sucks, and it sucks if that's the primary motivation for the change.

Yeah, I think that -- for whatever reason -- gender is one of my primary lens' when reading a text, but I can imagine that another person might not grant it a similar primacy. So to me Sokka's desire for strength is out of a need to prove himself a man, balanced out by a driving fear of being feminised -- but I'm guessing that for you that drive is perhaps some sort of control issue whereby he only trusts his judgement and has to accept his own inadequacy and learn to rely on other people. (I'm guessing here.)

Regardless, I could imagine the series trying to airlift the gender aspect out of the text, though I don't think it's particularly useful to suggest that the Avatar setting is one where these issues aren't as fraught or as influential as in our world. I've always believed that a progressive text is one that shows characters solving the problems of our world, rather than imagining one where they've already been solved.

This all assumes that the series actually is airlifting out Sokka's sexist tendencies, and that this isn't some sort of overstated argument that's spun out of what's just some thoughtless positive publicity.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Wonder if they'll take out all the jokes about Toph being blind

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Avatar kinda has it both says as being a very culturally diverse setting, some cultures seem to implicitly or explicitly have more egaliatarian societies than others. Like the whole thing with Katara literally has her run into sexism in the Northern Water Tribe she never encountered as blatantly in the Southern.

I imagine it's probably just part of smoothing out Sokka's characterisation overall to be more consistent, as early on in the show he was a lot more of a meathead before they figured out he's a lot funnier and more interesting as the smart guy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

koolkal posted:

If we don't get this then what's even THE loving POINT OF MAKING THE SHOW

(I am only slightly exaggerating my faux-anger)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

koolkal posted:

I think it helps that Toph is shown as decidedly more capable than the rest of the group in a bunch of situations, and even fucks with them about her blindless since they routinely forget because she's Daredevil+.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

At the very least I’m hoping live action Toph is as entertaining as animated Toph (I’m assuming she won’t appear in the first season however though they have already cast an Azula it seems)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Given that the actor looks way older than the original Sokka, I'm okay with just saying "yeah, I'd rather not have to watch a grown-rear end man learn Basic Respect for Women".

That kind of arc ages poorly (just look at Blazing Saddles) because once you reach the future, expectations have gotten higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Personally I expect a lot of grown rear end adults to not have basic respect for women, let alone teenagers.