Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was never properly trained in game studio operation.

Laugh it up, Embracer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:ughh:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

This.

loving hell...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It’s all in the numbers

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cancellations? That's terror.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Embracer sent another one back in a body bag.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
On the plus side: maybe they will sell the IP for a song and then it'll be in the hands of someone who treats it better than Jock treats a warm beer.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Serephina posted:

God, I'd blotted out how HR was just a long series of punching people. What a way to ruin all the other effort that went into making it.

Punch Punch Revolution!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Thanks for completely forgetting about the upgraded 10mm. poo poo carved up to and until Picus where you could still 1 head shot big augs.

The fully upgraded 10 mil with all attachments was godly. One of the few shooters I've played where the pistol remains a viable, even desirable option throughout.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 29, 2024

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

try as I might I just can't get excited either way about DX news that aren't about a remaster of the first and only game.
The day will come.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I know it's the obvious match but I'd love to see an Arkane studios take on DX

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What's sad is that the game was in dev for 2 years already.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wonder what that actually means in this case though. Elias Toufexis says he was never contacted about it, so either they were doing a new thing without Jensen or they hadn't gotten very far.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder what that actually means in this case though. Elias Toufexis says he was never contacted about it, so either they were doing a new thing without Jensen or they hadn't gotten very far.

I think later in the article they said full development hadn't started yet, so likely a lot of pre-production, concept, art, brainstorming, etc.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Technically it was in pre-production, they were going to go into production sometime this year. Which typically means they might have had some art / assets / basic demo features but nothing that had come together into something resembling a game you could play.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

I think later in the article they said full development hadn't started yet, so likely a lot of pre-production, concept, art, brainstorming, etc.

That would make the most sense. Seems weird they'd finally get to make more Deus Ex but just abandon their plotline dangling over that cliff.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'd honestly have thought that with the runaway success of Cyberpunk, that more Deus Ex would be a safe move even by a giant evil corporate empire. Alas.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

By popular demand posted:

try as I might I just can't get excited either way about DX news that aren't about a remaster of the first and only game.
The day will come.

a night dive system shock style remaster would be incredible.

also, play the night dive system shock if you haven't, it's insanely good.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It can't really be... There must be something we can do.

It was a good series... What a rotten way to die.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

a night dive system shock style remaster would be incredible.

i intend to manifest this into reality through sheer force of will.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Deus Ex has died before, it'll be back

gently caress Embracer though

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I was never properly trained in game studio operation.

Laugh it up, Embracer...

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I can tell them you're a game studio and they will kill you.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I SPEEL MY FUNDING

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Angry_Ed posted:

I SPEEL MY FUNDING

What a shame :colbert:.

:smith:

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

What a rotten way for a project to die

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Still January and already checking off "hotly anticipated release cancelled by IP holder for no reason" from by 2024 bingo card.

Apparently Volition is getting back together as Shapeshifter, though. Like, this is the thing that is making people notice Embracer.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Arkane Lyon is also hoping to pick up some Eidos Montreal devs who were laid off, if they're willing to relocate to France.

https://twitter.com/DBakaba/status/1752082138059383250

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

The Swedish gaming company Embracer Group AB is canceling a video game in the beloved Deus Ex series after two years of development and will lay off a number of employees as part of an ongoing initiative to cut costs, according to people familiar with the moves.

Eidos, the Montreal, Canada-based studio behind the game, will instead focus on an original franchise.

This doesn’t even make sense from a spreadsheet business POV. Established franchises come with built in fans who will buy the next one, even if it sucks.

Embracer CEO filling in at Activision for a day while normal CEO is celebrating CoD 33 being the first video game to clear $1T: Hmm I don’t know how profitable Call of Duty 34 is going to be. Better axe it just to be safe.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hmm we spent a lot of money on these studios but making games costs money, better kill the game projects and downsize the studios so they can make us new money with ???
:thunk:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

orcane posted:

Hmm we spent a lot of money on these studios but making games costs money, better kill the game projects and downsize the studios so they can make us new money with ???
:thunk:

Gotta spend money to make money.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's a weird idea in business that if you invest 30 million to make 31 million back, that was a bad investment. You have to make 60 million back or your shareholders won't be happy. I've seen people laid off who were literally making the company money by existing, just because they were making money at a lower margin.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's not a weird idea at all. 30 bucks in for 31 bucks out a year+ later is probably worse returns than the bank will give you, without all that risk.

On the topic of DX getting nixxed, exactly how long do these triple-A games need to be in pre-production? Like, if no assets have been made, no content created... then how much of a loss was there, really? (Apart from everyone at Eidos Motnreal getting fired, that is) The IP's not dead yet?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

People were still tied down to the project and passed on other opportunities for two years, I'd be pissed.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What exactly does pre-production mean? I thought it is still a lot of work, it basically means to plan the game out enough, in detail, so that everybody in all the departments can show up and know what they should be building.

Like if you’ve sunk that much cost over 2 years, isn’t the possibility of a mediocre return appealing? I guess sometimes these companies just prefer to take the write-off?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

brap posted:

What exactly does pre-production mean? I thought it is still a lot of work, it basically means to plan the game out enough, in detail, so that everybody in all the departments can show up and know what they should be building.

Like if you’ve sunk that much cost over 2 years, isn’t the possibility of a mediocre return appealing? I guess sometimes these companies just prefer to take the write-off?

It's the kind of thing different studios will define their own way, but as a general sense pre-production would be planning you do before you're actually making the game. Production is when you're creating art assets and levels and stuff.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's an investment company and they don't give a poo poo about what games are being made. Kids/Whales are spending way more on buying skins in online service games than you're willing to pay for a Deus Ex game.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
saw people on The Site Formerly Known as Twitter having fun with photoshopping a tweet of a certain South African nutjob into various sci-fi/horror games. Thought Deus Ex, while not quite horror, would also fit the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Angry_Ed posted:

saw people on The Site Formerly Known as Twitter having fun with photoshopping a tweet of a certain South African nutjob into various sci-fi/horror games. Thought Deus Ex, while not quite horror, would also fit the bill.