Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Geekboy posted:

Found some winged horrors in Moonrise you can have a whole interaction with all off on their own in a spot you can only sort of get to.

A new thing on my … 10th? time through act 2.

I noticed them on the landing below Ketheric because I’ve started clearing his little skeleton friends when I’m clearing the tower so that the fight with him is easier. I used feather fall to jump down and talk to them.

They were mad because all the bodies are being thrown below and not fed to them. So I convinced 2 of them to eat their leader and then we had a round of combat together before they munched on him and flew away.

If you don’t feather fall from the top of the tower, you have to fly up from the landing on the second floor. From there, you’ve got ladders and a wall you can break down to get back inside on the 2nd floor.

Voice acted. A choice to make. A little combat. And I’ve never even seen anyone else mention them.
they just wanted feet :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
I found those guys too and the fact they don't really do anything and you have to go out of your way to interact with them at all makes them more memorable rather than less. It's really crazy the amount of stuff they put in when you consider it's all fully voice acted.

jaete posted:

Wait what? What gate? Rat him out to who? Summons what now?

The first time you enter Last Light Jaheira jumps on your rear end as you know. If the tieflings are alive they vouch for you. If they aren't, Marcus swoops in, claims he's seen you before, and telepathically tells you to keep your mouth shut. You can go along with it... or you can rat him out to Jaheira, who tests him with her bottled tadpole and realizes you're telling the truth. At which point he drops the mask and you enter combat with him. What's normally supposed to happen is that everyone other than him, including you, is surprised, so on his turn he summons a shitload of trash mobs and disappears. However, if you have Alert you can't be surprised, and will get your turn before him. So if enough of your party has Alert and you have enough DPS, you can merk him before he disappears. The game doesn't really have anything specific to say about it afaik, but the attempt to kidnap Isobel just doesn't happen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you're super worried about losing Isobel at Last Light Inn on Honor Mode for whatever reason then you can simply not talk to her, the ambush will never happen and you can steal the drider's Moonlantern to get into Moonrise. Note that she and everyone at Last Light will only survive if you later choose to spare the Nightsong.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If I was playing Honor mode I’d do all of the mountain pass and the underdark/grymforge first before speaking to Isobel

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There are so many things you can do to keep Isobel safe. I think people on honour mode are either laying down huge amounts of smack (how I did it) or know all the tricks to protect allies (I’m too stupid to do this).

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Look I just want to spread the gospel that you can circumvent all the complaining about the artist if you just drink one of the 20 fly potions you've never used and go through the drat roof.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Between brain worms, classes that naturally learn the ability to fly, the at least 2 items that grant on demand flight; and the literal wizard/sorcerer spell you should have no trouble just flying wherever you want at that point in the game.

The Santa Claus manoeuvre is OP in many situations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Literally just don't even do that quest. Leave his dumb rear end with the Zhentarim

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Oskar Fevras is toast on my current campaign because for some reason I had the Enemy of Justice debuff active in the Zhentarim hideout, causing them to aggro me across the cave upon zoning in, and you simply can't NOT throw an alchemical firebomb into that oil pit.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Here lies the artist, thought of firewine and exploded.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Frankly if he wants to reunite with his dead fling that badly he can have it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Biggest problem in the game right now is that enemies don't make Goofy noises when they slip on ice patches.

https://i.imgur.com/BEjRoDy.mp4

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

exquisite tea posted:

Biggest problem in the game right now is that enemies don't make Goofy noises when they slip on ice patches.

https://i.imgur.com/BEjRoDy.mp4

I don't use mods, but I would make an exception for one that plays this sound when you shove/throw someone into the abyss.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I want to counter the OP in saying I ran into one consequence of worming up and that is when someone in a Tavern says my face is weird. But that's if I didn't have a certain companion in dialogue range, really disarmed the whole situation when I was expecting to start throwing chairs.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The djinni at the circus told my wormed up Tav that he was ugly, but maybe he says that to all the guys.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

exquisite tea posted:

Note that she and everyone at Last Light will only survive if you later choose to spare the Nightsong.

Does this only happen if you don't talk to her, or will killing Aylin always doom the tavern? I want to see DJ Shart on this playthrough but I don't want to miss out on Dammon's act 3 wares.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Further Reading posted:

The djinni at the circus told my wormed up Tav that he was ugly, but maybe he says that to all the guys.

Yeah pretty sure he says that regardless of worm level, I think he even said it to my super attractive Chad Tav (pictured here speaking to a poor glitched child:)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dragonwagon posted:

Does this only happen if you don't talk to her, or will killing Aylin always doom the tavern? I want to see DJ Shart on this playthrough but I don't want to miss out on Dammon's act 3 wares.

I'm pretty sure (spoilers for the outcomes of Shadowheart's quest) if you kill Aylin through Shadowheart's ritual (and NOT by like grazing her with a stray aoe) Shar goes super saiyan and destroys Last Light in a special cutscene regardless of how you dealt with Isobel.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Dragonwagon posted:

Can’t have them both

edit: Actually I don’t know if that’s true. I just woke up and it made sense at the time

Trevor Hale fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 29, 2024

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dragonwagon posted:

Honestly if you want to do DJ SH you should probably let last light fall or as durge kill isobel if only to iirc be able to recruit Jaheria.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dragonwagon posted:

Always, and if you doom the tavern that way then Jaheira always dies too (she can live if the tavern dies due to Isobel kidnapping). You can then go to the doomed tavern and clear out all the zombies and giant creepers for an unbalanced amount of XP you wouldn't get otherwise. Funnily enough despite the shadow curse becoming extremely strong after killing Aylin (most areas are now fully obscured), it still clears completely when leaving act 2 if you did Halsin's quest beforehand.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ChickenMedium posted:

I don't use mods, but I would make an exception for one that plays this sound when you shove/throw someone into the abyss.

There should be a chance that tossing someone into a chasm plays the Wilhelm scream

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Entropic posted:

Holy crap Ansur is kicking my rear end on Tactician mode. I'm back at camp trying to figure out how to best respec and reequip everyone because my party that was breezing through everything else in Act III (I barely had any trouble with Cazador) can't put damage on him fast enough to take him down before he goes full nuclear lightning mode.
Am I right in thinking that swinging two-handers at him for single big chunks of damage is a better strategy than relying on multi attacks and damager riders that all get whittled down or negated by the flat -4 to all incoming damage that he gets on Tactician?

just have globe of invincibility up and stand inside it and shoot at it until it dies

said globe negates everything he does including his lightning ult

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm 110 hours into my current and first playthrough, somewhere middling in Act III. Still adore this game, keeps being awesome. That said, I found an old journal in a mausoleum that alluded to Withers being related to, or actually being, Jergal. Am I on the right track with that thinking?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Found the hottest new pro gamer tip to avoid the lava mephit death explosions: drop create water on your party and have throwbarb Karlach launch three of them a turn while shouting PULL, apply eldritch blasts/crossbow bolts/rays of frost to taste.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

chaosapiant posted:

I'm 110 hours into my current and first playthrough, somewhere middling in Act III. Still adore this game, keeps being awesome. That said, I found an old journal in a mausoleum that alluded to Withers being related to, or actually being, Jergal. Am I on the right track with that thinking?

That's the commonly accepted belief, yeah. There are a bunch of youtube videos where people go deep on the lore of it all

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
You don't have to accept it cos it's not actually in the game itself afaik but if you dive into the save files some of the database entries or whatever the gently caress explicitly call him Jergal

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

It’s generally accepted that he’s Jergal, yes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's funny because it really contextualizes that last scene, but at the same time I was like talk all the poo poo you want, Jergal, these are your boys and you did this to yourself

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ginette Reno posted:

He's a dragon. Dragon's can and do polymorph into humanoid form a lot. Look at Quedenos. He does that when hanging out in cities with Voss.

I had no idea this was a thing in D&D lore so those flashback cutscenes were very confusing.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
There’s a lot of stuff the game just expects you to know unfortunately, I think it’s one of the ways it fails narratively. It does such a poor job of explaining what happened to Elturel and why there’s even tiefling refugees.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Maybe it would remove some of the mystique of encountering a new weird freaky guy but I sort of wish there was a bestiary. It would promote the Dungeons & Dragins setting and give some background without the need for tons of boring "explain this thing to me like I'm the most credulous person in Faerun" dialogue options, win win.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
In the good old days a game like this would have all that stuff in 150 page paper manual that came in the box and it would be full of cool concept art and stuff.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Entropic posted:

I had no idea this was a thing in D&D lore so those flashback cutscenes were very confusing.

Basically D&D dragons are very large, very smart cats and the older and smarter ones are also sorcerers.

It's also convenient for like the three dragons in BG3 that are shown to use a dragonborn form so that they can hang out with normal size people while not being huge.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Entropic posted:

In the good old days a game like this would have all that stuff in 150 page paper manual that came in the box and it would be full of cool concept art and stuff.

Yeah, god, the supplemental materials for BG1 and 2 were loving great. TBH if Larian put out a box of physical poo poo like that for 20 bucks a pop or something, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Some sort of parchment map that I could use for navigating, and turn off minimap and only use waypoints for fast travel. That you could make notes on as you go, rather than the game filling it in for you.

And like a bigass book "by Volo" with hand drawn illustrations and a mini-monster manual (with his totally accurate knowledge of the subject, of course).

drat that would own

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

drat I’m gonna buy a Collector’s Edition and get owned like I did with Disco Elysium

$200
Art book with concepts / sketches (actually cool)
Cloth map (size of handkerchief, poor resolution)
Plastic intellect devourer
Stickers or some poo poo

I’ll keep buying that garbage.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, god, the supplemental materials for BG1 and 2 were loving great. TBH if Larian put out a box of physical poo poo like that for 20 bucks a pop or something, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Some sort of parchment map that I could use for navigating, and turn off minimap and only use waypoints for fast travel. That you could make notes on as you go, rather than the game filling it in for you.

And like a bigass book "by Volo" with hand drawn illustrations and a mini-monster manual (with his totally accurate knowledge of the subject, of course).

drat that would own

I loved the original 6 slot CD case sleeve and thick manual for the first Baldur's Gate game. Complete with fold out map. It just tickles the imagination in such a way that game materials don't do any more. I still have my spiral-bound manual for Neverwinter Nights floating here somewhere.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm about to do what I remember being the most annoying part of the game Grymforge.

Pray for me.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Thundarr posted:

It's also convenient for like the three dragons in BG3 that are shown to use a dragonborn form so that they can hang out with normal size people while not being huge.

Hmm, Ansur, Qudenos, the mind-controlled red dragon on top of the brain, Echo of Abazigal... yeah not sure if 3 or 4, the last one kinda depends maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I meant the last one actually, I guess I phrased it a bit ambiguously. There's also a dragon that doesn't bother pretending to be small, like you said.