Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
HON É UNDER TYVE ÅR
VINNAR CHAMPION'S LEAGUE I VÅR
SIGNE GAUPSET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
tbf slavia are getting robbed here, they had a goal disallowed for, apparently, nothing at all

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

pretty unconvincing performance from brann, but they made it through and i'll chalk the poor performance down to the christmas break

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Grimson posted:

pretty unconvincing performance from brann, but they made it through and i'll chalk the poor performance down to the christmas break

yeah but on the other hand i don't care

quarter finals, baby!!!!!

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

lol watching the post-match interview nrk did with brann goalie aurora mikalsen

NRK: How was the game?
AM: The conditions weren't exactly made for playing football. We really had to dig deep today, cause this was poo poo. But we won, and that's what counts.. and.. [gestures to the 200 Brann supporters behind her] look! We hear our own fans better than theirs. It's nice to be out in Europe and play a home game, or we don't play at such awful grounds as this, but point taken being the fans!

and then she almost broke down in tears when he asked what it feels to advance to the UWCL quarter finals.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

V. Illych L. posted:

tbf slavia are getting robbed here, they had a goal disallowed for, apparently, nothing at all
Mikalsen fell over, that's enough for continental refs to call a foul.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The NWSL just released their 2024 schedule.

Good: A chunk of matches will be free for everyone on NWSL+, a new streaming service.

Bad: Last year was the first time they had the season end with a proper Decision Day, so of course they went back to having the last matchday is spread out over 3 days, because why keep a good thing going; another loving streaming service with a "+" in it

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

with the last of the games over, barcelona, benfica, lyon and brann are all confirmed through to the quarter finals.

psg, ajax, chelsea and häcken are in the best positions to join them in next weeks games, though group c and d are both fairly open and bayern, roma and paris fc all have decent to slim shots at getting a spot. gonna be some tasty matches next week

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Zwachro posted:

Mikalsen fell over, that's enough for continental refs to call a foul.

Serious question: what was the foul supposed to be there? Is being a goalie like having the ball in basketball, where if you run into somebody it's a foul on them?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Dav posted:

Serious question: what was the foul supposed to be there? Is being a goalie like having the ball in basketball, where if you run into somebody it's a foul on them?

GKs should be p much untouchable within the 5-meter line (that small box within the penalty zone). This is to fight the old strategy of putting one strong player to interfere with the keeper during corners so that their colleagues will have an easier way of scoring. This is what was called during the Slavia match but the keeper completely borked her initial save and then just fell down and got lucky with the call.

Zwachro's comment was connected to the fact that British football is way more physical than in the rest of the world and such situations are more likely to go towards the offensive side. As one of the filthy 'continentals', though, I'd point out to all the situations where GKs were mauled like that time when Petr Cech got his skull literally caved in.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Terminally Bored posted:

Zwachro's comment was connected to the fact that British football is way more physical than in the rest of the world and such situations are more likely to go towards the offensive side. As one of the filthy 'continentals', though, I'd point out to all the situations where GKs were mauled like that time when Petr Cech got his skull literally caved in.
Scandinavian (or Norwegian, at least) football tends towards the physical too, so when Brann's men's team had a German keeper a few years back he kept getting into trouble because opponents were actually allowed to be near him in the box.

And I'm all for protecting keepers, but I still think it's a bit silly to call a free kick when the only contact is between the keeper and their own defenders, like this one. The Norwegian commentators were all "What the hell was that called for? Welp, guess Brann got lucky, we'll take it!".

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Zwachro posted:

Scandinavian (or Norwegian, at least) football tends towards the physical too, so when Brann's men's team had a German keeper a few years back he kept getting into trouble because opponents were actually allowed to be near him in the box.

And I'm all for protecting keepers, but I still think it's a bit silly to call a free kick when the only contact is between the keeper and their own defenders, like this one. The Norwegian commentators were all "What the hell was that called for? Welp, guess Brann got lucky, we'll take it!".

lennart grill was a complete basket case in many, many ways but otherwise i subscribe to this post

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Last matchday of the UWCL group stage this week. Looks like the Paris FC - Chelsea game is the only one that's getting streamed on youtube, the rest are available for free on dazn.com

Wednesday 30 January
18:45 CET / 12:45pm EST
Real Madrid - Häcken
Paris FC - Chelsea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKqTgtoCmkE

21:00 CET / 3pm EST
Bayern - PSG
Ajax - Roma

Thursday 31 January
18:45 CET / 12:45pm EST
Lyon - Slavia Praha
Brann - St. Pölten

21:00 CET / 3pm EST
Benfica - Barcelona
Frankfurt - Rosengård

Standings
Barcelona, Benfica, Brann, Chelsea and Lyon are already through, leaving only three spots up for grabs. Two from group C and one from group D.

Group A
Barcelona - 15p
Benfica - 8p

Frankfurt - 4p
Rosengård - 1p

Group B
Lyon - 13p
Brann - 10p

Slavia Praha - 4p
St. Pölten - 1p

Group C
PSG - 9p
Ajax - 7p
Bayern - 6p
Roma - 5p

- Paris will be through to the quarter-finals if they avoid defeat at Bayern or if Ajax fail to beat Roma. Paris will finish first if they beat Bayern, or if they draw and Ajax do not beat Roma by four goals or more. If Paris draw and Ajax win by a margin of exactly four, they will be split on overall goals scored at the first instance, then if they are also level on that, Paris would finish first on overall away goals scored.
- Ajax will be through to the quarter-finals if they beat Roma, or if Ajax draw and Bayern fail to win. Ajax will finish first if they win and Paris lose, or if Ajax win by five goals or more and Paris draw. As above, if Paris draw and Ajax win by a margin of exactly four, they will be split on overall goals scored at the first instance, then if they are also level on that, Paris would finish first on overall away goals scored.
- Bayern will be through to the quarter-finals if they beat Paris. Bayern will finish first if they win and Ajax do not.
- Roma will be through to the quarter-finals if they beat Ajax and Bayern do not beat Paris.

Group D
Chelsea - 11p
Häcken - 8p
Paris FC - 7p
Real Madrid - 1p

- Hacken will be through to the quarter-finals if they beat Madrid or if Paris fail to beat Chelsea.
- Paris will be through to the quarter-finals if they beat Chelsea and Hacken fail to beat Madrid.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1752034264319713545

quote:

On Monday Aston Villa were docked three points for fielding an ineligible player in a Continental Cup group stage game against Sunderland, with the FA saying an independent tribunal ordered the points deducted be awarded to Sunderland and the 7-0 scoreline deleted from the record.

That means Sunderland, who did not initially qualify for the last eight, go through as Group A winners while Villa drop to second in the group but qualify as one of two best-placed runners-up with Tottenham. United finished second in Group B but their record, having originally been better than Sunderland’s, is inferior to Villa’s on goal difference.

United put out a statement saying: “We feel that it undermines the integrity of the competition and of the women’s game. We are considering our options in response.”

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 29, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Villa being 3-0 up and bringing someone on who was cup tied is very funny.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeh2y69d/

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

chelsea currently doing their part getting häcken through with them

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Paris FC is so poo poo at marking that they let Kirby score a header

(I know she scored another header last weekend, that's not the point)

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

häcken do it on their own at last

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Paris FC is so poo poo at marking that they let Kirby score a header

(I know she scored another header last weekend, that's not the point)

what the hell happened to them? they looked excellent in the pre-qualis and kicked out both arsenal and wolfsburg

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They used up their goals for the season knocking us out of the qualifier

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

this loving group god drat

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I think Lyon maybe would like to have scored more than once this game

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

they finally did it

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

hahahah

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChelseaFCW/status/1752723569585336362

Maybe she'll get more playing time in the US.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

benfica decided to make things funny on the last day

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

boo, lucy bronze with the late equalizer.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

West Ham got a player from Häcken an hour before the transfer window closes

https://twitter.com/westhamwomen/status/1752798915655569649

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Woah, Washington poached Barca's coach!

e: And now I see this happened almost a month ago. Whoops.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Rachel Daly got a 3 match suspension for elbowing a Bristol City player.

quote:

In the 39th minute of the 2-2 draw with the Robins last weekend, Daly appeared to catch Megan Connolly with an elbow as a Villa attack petered out. The incident wasn't seen by the referee at the time but it was caught on camera and the Football Association has since concluded that it was "violent conduct". Daly has admitted the charge and will now be banned for three games as a result.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/LC_Lionesses/status/1755245075553005881

https://twitter.com/LC_Lionesses/status/1755315495706710496

uh..

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I think the former is responsible for the latter and I have the video to prove it

(Seriously though, :wtc:)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Morace failed Canada just like she failed the pitch I see no surprised faces

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/MSN/status/1753244477441880112

holy lmao she's absolutely right

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The USL Super League got sanctioned by U.S. Soccer as a first division league, so now we've got two. That's not going to be a problem!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Does this mean a baseball-like two league system with even stupider set of playoffs?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

arsenal having a season huh

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/A23BACIO/status/1756685722084401456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I think that was in.