Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.

RadiRoot posted:

probably costs more assuming its a complete loss

The scorpion that stings itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

LuxuryLarva posted:

The scorpion that stings itself.

wonder if someone in a NIMBY area has lost a house to natural disaster yet and then had their neighbors block it being rebuilt using weaponized environmental review requirements and such

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

RadiRoot posted:

probably costs more assuming its a complete loss

Huh, seems like having insanely high housing prices that are only affordable because most people bought 10+ years ago is a bad thing for everyone.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

I volunteer a lot so I meet a lot of people who are there mostly just to socialize and a lot of them are older. I met this woman who told me that she was a multi millionaire because of real estate but that she also knew that she lived in a fire zone (eucalyptus trees) and that she wouldn't be able to rebuild in case of a fire. I have been shut out of homeownership because of the increasing price of housing so I wanted to try to say something reassuring that I actually meant and I couldn't come up with anything so I just kept my mouth shut. The situation isn't really complicated. High housing prices are ripping society apart on a fundamental level and the reason they're doing that is because it makes one half of society rich and the other very, very, poor - forever.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

LuxuryLarva posted:

I volunteer a lot so I meet a lot of people who are there mostly just to socialize and a lot of them are older. I met this woman who told me that she was a multi millionaire because of real estate but that she also knew that she lived in a fire zone (eucalyptus trees) and that she wouldn't be able to rebuild in case of a fire. I have been shut out of homeownership because of the increasing price of housing so I wanted to try to say something reassuring that I actually meant and I couldn't come up with anything so I just kept my mouth shut. The situation isn't really complicated. High housing prices are ripping society apart on a fundamental level and the reason they're doing that is because it makes one half of society rich and the other very, very, poor - forever.

Sounds like a self solving contradiction if you ask me

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Rebuilding isn't subject to environmental review

It's not even subject to current zoning regulations if the structure is rebuilt in the same location and the same size

And wildfires don't destroy land

Boomer homevoters will be just fine

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Greg12 posted:

Rebuilding isn't subject to environmental review

Depends on where you're at, half this city you can't rebuild what's on the land because of new zoning overlaid over old poo poo and this has made a lot of properties functionally worthless

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1831-Baldwick-Rd_Pittsburgh_PA_15205_M99495-63547?from=srp-list-card

This used to be a corner store. Notice how the seller notes that it's zoned R1D-L? That means you can't operate a corner store in it today and it also means that with a minimum lot size of 8,000 sf, this 2,975sf lot can't be developed without either getting a zoning variance or buying an adjacent lot to consolidate them. So instead of being useful to the community, this property just sits and rots.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Depends on where you're at, half this city you can't rebuild what's on the land because of new zoning overlaid over old poo poo and this has made a lot of properties functionally worthless

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1831-Baldwick-Rd_Pittsburgh_PA_15205_M99495-63547?from=srp-list-card

This used to be a corner store. Notice how the seller notes that it's zoned R1D-L? That means you can't operate a corner store in it today and it also means that with a minimum lot size of 8,000 sf, this 2,975sf lot can't be developed without either getting a zoning variance or buying an adjacent lot to consolidate them. So instead of being useful to the community, this property just sits and rots.

Pgh Muni Code

921.03.C.2   Reconstruction of a Damaged Nonconforming Structure

The Zoning Board of Adjustment shall be authorized to approve, as a special exception, the reconstruction of a nonconforming structure damaged by fire, wind, tornado, earthquake, or other natural disaster, provided that such rebuilding does not increase the intensity of use, as determined by the number of dwelling units (for residences) or floor area or ground coverage (for nonresidential uses). Before approving reconstruction as a special exception, the Zoning Board of Adjustment shall determine that the reconstruction will comply with applicable zoning standards to the fullest extent possible and will not result in greater nonconformity than existed before the damage occurred. For the purposes of this section, in any residential district, reconstructions shall be governed by Sec. 921.03.C.1 of this Chapter, "Restoration of Nonconforming Structures Containing a Nonconforming Use."

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I hate that my only saleable skill is being able to do that so quickly

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Greg12 posted:

Pgh Muni Code

The Zoning Board of Adjustment shall be authorized to approve, as a special exception, the reconstruction of a nonconforming structure damaged by fire, wind, tornado, earthquake, or other natural disaster, provided that such rebuilding does not increase the intensity of use, as determined by the number of dwelling units (for residences) or floor area or ground coverage (for nonresidential uses). Before approving reconstruction as a special exception, the Zoning Board of Adjustment shall determine that the reconstruction will comply with applicable zoning standards to the fullest extent possible and will not result in greater nonconformity than existed before the damage occurred. For the purposes of this section, in any residential district, reconstructions shall be governed by Sec. 921.03.C.1 of this Chapter, "Restoration of Nonconforming Structures Containing a Nonconforming Use."

lol, the "never let a disaster go to waste" section

Apr 7, 2003

Greg12 posted:

Pgh Muni Code

So if someone torched that place you could rebuild another corner store you can't use with two upstairs apartments. They tried to renovate the former store space into apartments and got shut down on that.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

So if someone torched that place you could rebuild another corner store you can't use with two upstairs apartments. They tried to renovate the former store space into apartments and got shut down on that.

921.03.C.1   Restoration of Nonconforming Structures Containing a Nonconforming Use

In any residential zoning district, replacement of major (supporting) structural components, interior partition walls, windows and doors, utility connections and systems, HVAC systems, and other mechanical equipment, the Zoning Board of Adjustment shall be authorized to approve, as a special exception, the rehabilitation of nonresidential nonconforming structures, provided that such work involves restoration of said structures to the character existing at the time they became nonconforming. This determination shall be made by reference to documented use, photographic records, and direct inspection by the Bureau of Building Inspection. Such restoration shall be permissible without limit on costs so long as said replacements are of like kind and capacities of original equipment. With respect to this section, the limitation of fifty (50) percent of assessed valuation of the structure contained within Sec. 921.03.A.4 above shall not apply.

921.02.B   Abandonment

921.02.B.1   Effect of Abandonment

Once abandoned, a nonconforming use shall not be reestablished or resumed. Any subsequent use or occupancy of the structure or land site must conform with the regulations of the district in which it is located and all other applicable requirements of this Code.

921.02.B.2   Evidence of Abandonment

A nonconforming use shall be presumed abandoned when any one (1) of the following has occurred:

(d) The use has been discontinued, vacant or inactive for a continuous period of at least one (1) year, provided this presumption may be rebutted upon showing, to the satisfaction of the Zoning Board of Adjustment, that the owner had no intention to abandon. Where appropriate, the Zoning Board of Adjustment may require contemporaneous documentation of previous use or intended use, such as leases or real estate advertisement, to rebut the presumption.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoning regulations are merely suggestions. Boards pretty much do whatever they want

Apr 7, 2003

e: misread

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
One Single-Family Home is the sacrosanct minimum use that governments must allow to not be considered taking the land, so the mansion owners we were talking about being able to rebuild in wildfire zones will be fine.

Corner stores in Pittsburgh R-1 Districts that have not been in business for over one year prior to unintentional destruction of the building might be in trouble.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

guillotine help slash housing prices

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/Buying-Here/2024/01/24/buying-here-becks-run-rd-carrick/stories/202401240069

They talk this thing up like crazy and it's structurally unsound

cool

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

unsound may just mean it’s on a quiet street ?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

interesting that you can't find the condition on zillow lol

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/TonyPeric/status/1750173994051883246?t=qwVJU1Zb5xBoIIn-o2ElrA&s=33

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Knowing that house prices are accelerating faster than a single person working full time for minimum wage really makes you feel like we have an economy.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

interesting way to spell work camp

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

you should probably buy that $1.2M and count yourself lucky, lock in that $6,000 a month payment and be financially secure. get a second super-roof installed over the crappy one and you'll be set.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
They are talking about how bad that roof will be with some ice and snow settled on it, but I wonder how bad that roof will be with that roof settled on it.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Jesus Christ :stonklol:

Apr 7, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

Jesus Christ :stonklol:

This is especially funny in conjunction with all the people not realizing that there is no assessment taxation in Texas, only appraisal taxation; if you spent $1.2m on your house, congratulations, you're now taxed on $1.2m value. There's a decent contingent of Texan transplants who moved there for low taxes, built a very expensive house on empty land, and are now shocked that they're paying a shitload of taxes on property they bought for cheap two years ago.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i work in texas property taxes and yeah a lot of tech transplants in austin are getting hosed by them not realizing why texas doesn't have an income tax

taxes on a $1m piece of property would be roughly $2,000/month depending on locality

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

This is especially funny in conjunction with all the people not realizing that there is no assessment taxation in Texas, only appraisal taxation; if you spent $1.2m on your house, congratulations, you're now taxed on $1.2m value. There's a decent contingent of Texan transplants who moved there for low taxes, built a very expensive house on empty land, and are now shocked that they're paying a shitload of taxes on property they bought for cheap two years ago.

lol Jesus Christ! :stonklol:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i say swears online posted:

i work in texas property taxes and yeah a lot of tech transplants in austin are getting hosed by them not realizing why texas doesn't have an income tax

taxes on a $1m piece of property would be roughly $2,000/month depending on locality

wow, my ny state income tax was about $3500 but property tax is under $300/month. far from being a millionaire though

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 06:13 on Jan 29, 2024

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
im just glad my roof isnt held up by toothpicks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hahaha that is good

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Transplants also tend to go apeshit when they get their first utility bill, too. Those big gross McMansions suck down a lot of power half the year. Certainly a lot more than their old SF apartment, even with PG&E’s tomfoolery factored in.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

for some reason the tiktok algo has flooded my feed with home inspector creators and new construction is apparently horrifying AND the building companies are nazis about it. 650k and everything leaks, creaks and is off angle

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

anyone know what it takes to be a licensed home inspector that sounds like a hilarious job

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i am harry posted:

anyone know what it takes to be a licensed home inspector that sounds like a hilarious job
I don't know anything about inspecting but back to property tax appraisal,

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/taxprof/taxprofedu.htm

pretty extensive. I'll have to complete the classes and be in my job three years before I can sit for the exam. after that though, I'll be able to moonlight as a fee appraiser

Apr 7, 2003

Ammanas posted:

for some reason the tiktok algo has flooded my feed with home inspector creators and new construction is apparently horrifying AND the building companies are nazis about it. 650k and everything leaks, creaks and is off angle

Way back in the old days (2010) there was a guy on YouTube who did inspections of new houses in the Denver metro and they were an absolute fuckin mess, I remember one video of a long hallway where the drywall rippled back and forth.

Apr 7, 2003

There was a kerfuffle a few years back here about a Maronda homes development of townhouses where they didn't have sheathing for some reason. Like, you could cut away the vinyl siding on an end unit with a box cutter and bust through the drywall to get into the unit.

Anyway, let's see how much Maronda houses cost

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I like the sarcastic home inspector guy. he has a very soothing voice as well

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7312560047668743467

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this tennis instructor went from a 900/month rent in a NY to a 700k condo somehow

https://archive.ph/XYvPB

they never mention that he certainly must have had family money as his job probably pays jack poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

he did the Match Point (2005) gambit