Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

wesleywillis posted:

Whatever happened to Grover anyway?
Did he get banned, or just drift away from the forums?
Did he leave after people made fun of his insulated stairs?

House got bombed in a hit by the saddam's special forces (since civilian contractors are legit targets, and he was the equivalent of a lieutenant colonel or whatever )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

he kept posting for a long time, and was a mod for Goons in Platoons, no idea if he’s still around there

someone on the Well There’s Your Problem discord posted pictures they claimed were from a drone overflight of the Groverhaus about six months ago. People still live there

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Groverhaus is in the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

he kept posting for a long time, and was a mod for Goons in Platoons, no idea if he’s still around there

someone on the Well There’s Your Problem discord posted pictures they claimed were from a drone overflight of the Groverhaus about six months ago. People still live there

This is ancient lore at this point but I'm fairly sure there was a mass revolt in gip specifically about the fact that he was a mod. He is no longer active there in any way shape or form.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Its wild to me to know there's still houses anywhere remotely liveable for under a million dollars. My friend bought a house maybe 10 years ago for 150k in a medium US city and its worth about 350k now. Amazing gains.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

HolHorsejob posted:

House got bombed in a hit by the saddam's special forces (since civilian contractors are legit targets, and he was the equivalent of a lieutenant colonel or whatever )

.....was he saying this just because his level on the GS pay scale was equivalent to that of an O-5? if so holy :lol:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

LonsomeSon posted:

I think laughing at some blowhard's photos that they publicly posted of their own free will is one thing, but this is a bit creepy.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

If I was sure it was still grover living there I wouldn’t give a poo poo but it’s very upsetting to imagine some family getting bilked into buying a shitbox which is a niche internet microcelebrity in its own right for how terribly it was built and then being subject to intermittent nerd surveillance.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Some fucker flies a drone around my house every so often and it enrages me beyond belief.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LonsomeSon posted:

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

this

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ROJO posted:

.....was he saying this just because his level on the GS pay scale was equivalent to that of an O-5? if so holy :lol:

Iirc something like that, it came out he was vastly inflating his importance somehow.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ROJO posted:

Yes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Its wild to me to know there's still houses anywhere remotely liveable for under a million dollars. My friend bought a house maybe 10 years ago for 150k in a medium US city and its worth about 350k now. Amazing gains.

I'm not shocked. I live in a close-in Northern Virginia suburb (drive downtown in 20 minutes, faster than Metro) and there's still perfectly good, intact four bedroom houses with prices starting with a 7 or 8. Nice, quiet neighborhood with virtually no crime (Not even I HEARD GUNFIREWORKS on our Nextdoor.), kids running around in the streets, and any kind of amenity you could need.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

Now, every time I talk to him, he tells me about the latest thing he’s had to fix. It’s basically a house of Theseus at this point.
That's basically all houses though. Buying a house means getting a DIY hobby on the side that you can only opt out of by paying a lot of money.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

All of the poo poo your landlord was refusing to do and also was preventing you from doing, you now have to actually do.

It’s still better, unless you gently caress it up enough that you have to post your own work in this thread.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

the yeti posted:

Iirc something like that, it came out he was vastly inflating his importance somehow.

He wasn't even a government employee; he was a contractor trying to conflate his salary to a military rank by 2 degrees of separation. There are some really good reasons to have a translation between long serving civil service rank and commissioned officer rank but they have gently caress all to do with contractors or enlisted military. The whole point of it is to inform some 22 year old 2nd lieutenant that they do not in fact outrank the 50 year old civilian GS-12, not so some contractor can claim to be a technical colonel by way of analogy. By his logic every Fortune 500 CEO is a 5 star General.

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 31, 2024

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

lmao I never heard that he didn’t even have a GS grade, he was just, what, claiming equivalency for falling in a salary range?

Beautiful, never more proud that my only ban to date was for posting GroverHaus in a gip thread.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Complete with typo, of course.

("nothing valued is here")

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I had no idea that that screed about nothing of here being of value etc was a nuclear waste storage facility deterrent meant for some civilization 10,000 years into the future or whatever to read and understand that it was not safe.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7329338313184349486

I'm genuinely wondering why a home inspector was even involved in this process. I get it's a seller's market or whatever, but SURELY anyone who is making an offer on that house is doing so with the intent to just tear it all down, right?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 31, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm genuinely wondering why a home inspector was even involved in this process. I get it's a seller's market or whatever, but SURELY anyone who is making an offer on that house is doing so with the intent to just tear it all down, right?

I'm wondering why I watched a talking head (sound off of course) for as long as I did when it was clear he was never going to show anything interesting.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm wondering why I watched a talking head (sound off of course) for as long as I did when it was clear he was never going to show anything interesting.

Maybe be a little more patient? It's like 30 seconds of talking head and then it's shots of the actual problems.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe be a little more patient?

LMAO gently caress no.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't buy that was a flip at all, I suspect that someone he knew was planning to tear that house down and allowed him to make a video pretending to inspect it to get some outrage clicks and shares.

The furnace fuel supply was literally an unlabeled plastic jug on the floor.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, I don't think that was a flip, nothing about it looks remotely new or patched over, it looks more like the result of years of neglect and decline than someone trying to paint over as many issues as possible.

I think there are some places that require inspections pre-sale, I feel like I've heard that for some towns in California, so there's a chance it's one of those places and he got to film it as a lark for a required inspection no one cares about.

I'm not sure how 'I can smell propane and see a damage gas pipe' doesn't result in an immediate call to a fire department and disconnect, though.

Edit: Although with the fuel jug I guess they may not be hooked up to anything anyway.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
My home's previous owner did me the favour of securing the dishwasher though not only the manufacturer-approved sidemount manner like a normal human would, but also directly into the floor though a couple of random holes in the unit's frame.

Not with the special floor-mounting brackets that you can buy; no. On the outside edge of the dishwasher, as in, towards the cabinet on the side.

Based on the angle in which they were inserted, I figure they most likely way they pulled off such a manoeuvre was to put the dishwasher in place, drill in the screws and then install the cabinets around it.

So that's the kind of thing that can turn a 20 minute job into a five hour affair.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't buy that was a flip at all, I suspect that someone he knew was planning to tear that house down and allowed him to make a video pretending to inspect it to get some outrage clicks and shares.

The furnace fuel supply was literally an unlabeled plastic jug on the floor.

This is a very likely scenario. But never underestimate stupidity

A real estate agent hungry for a commission could be filling some idiots head with hopes, dreams, and outright lies to push a sale.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe be a little more patient? It's like 30 seconds of talking head and then it's shots of the actual problems.

Can't you skip ahead or go back and such in TikTok?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
That's so web 2.0

Now you have to watch the thing in a loop

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Antifreeze Head posted:

My home's previous owner did me the favour of securing the dishwasher though not only the manufacturer-approved sidemount manner like a normal human would, but also directly into the floor though a couple of random holes in the unit's frame.

Not with the special floor-mounting brackets that you can buy; no. On the outside edge of the dishwasher, as in, towards the cabinet on the side.

Based on the angle in which they were inserted, I figure they most likely way they pulled off such a manoeuvre was to put the dishwasher in place, drill in the screws and then install the cabinets around it.

So that's the kind of thing that can turn a 20 minute job into a five hour affair.

My Gary took the opposite approach and decided not to secure my dishwasher to anything so every time I open the drat thing if I am not careful it starts to lean and then topple forward out of the cabinet. I've lost a few ramakins that way.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Can't you skip ahead or go back and such in TikTok?

The desktop web version, yes. Mobile web version, I don't think so because like all websites, they just want you to use their app. I tried to tap it to get the progress bar to appear and it only ever kept linking to their app store page.

I don't have the TikTok app, I just found that and posted it here, maybe it's mirrored at a "better" places like YT or IG (using the word better very loosely.)

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I guess using a backhoe to resolve building defects is one way to go...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates/mike-holmes-lawsuit-demolition-1.7091774

Mike 'Holmes Approved Homes' demolished due to alleged defects

Consumer watchdog Tarion condemned 3 homes in a housing development endorsed by celebrity Mike Holmes

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I can’t conceive of the kind of brain worms that would lead you to think a celebrity endorsement means anything

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Tristesse posted:

My Gary took the opposite approach and decided not to secure my dishwasher to anything so every time I open the drat thing if I am not careful it starts to lean and then topple forward out of the cabinet. I've lost a few ramakins that way.
Mine is held in by 1 screw up into the sub-countertop plywood at an angle, in the center above the handle.
That seems to keep it secure enough, and I've been able to use the same screw hole the 6+ times I've taken it out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Jorath posted:

Mine is held in by 1 screw up into the sub-countertop plywood at an angle, in the center above the handle.
That seems to keep it secure enough, and I've been able to use the same screw hole the 6+ times I've taken it out.

Mine has 2 screws, same deal. Have had to take it out a few times, same hole etc..

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Tristesse posted:

Why don't you attach it then?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

the yeti posted:

I can’t conceive of the kind of brain worms that would lead you to think a celebrity endorsement means anything

I don't know, but our entire economy depends on it.

And no one is immune. I use a loofah because Ironhead Heyward commanded it to be so, 30 years ago.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Sash! posted:

And no one is immune. I use a loofah because Ironhead Heyward commanded it to be so, 30 years ago.

I did what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
You know what you did 30 years ago.
There is no escape.