Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Watching The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. I knew going in that the general response was it didn’t live up to a quarter century of build up, so I had tempered expectations going in. But I think I straight up don’t like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's kind of interesting that Daniel Day Lewis just kind of hosed off and isn't making films anymore.

Like dude is legit one of the greatest actors to ever live and just decided nope I'm done with films

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He already unretired once for PTA, and some are saying he might again for Scorses's Jesus picture

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gaius Marius posted:

He already unretired once for PTA, and some are saying he might again for Scorses's Jesus picture

Hasn't Scorse already made Jesus film. He making another one?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's a prequel.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Yeah

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jesus 2

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

josh04 posted:

It's a prequel.

The Penultimate Temptation of Christ

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Totally forgot new year new thread. Got some catching up to do.

In recent news, I read the book Foe - which was great and then immediately watched the film adaptation which was... not great.

Book and Film spoilers

The film was technically executed well. Beautiful production design and cinematography. The performances were fine. But man they literally drat near did a 1:1 adaptation of the book which I just don't think works. Most of the book is Junior's inner thoughts which totally tips the audience off pretty early on that he is the replacement and not the real Junior. So you go on the journey of his enlightenment and are able to understand Hen's behavior is a result of her dissatisfaction with their relationship. The back half of the movie was pretty successful but the front half, without Junior's inner thoughts or a good mechanism to translate those to film... you just are left going "what the gently caress is even happening here?" for an hour before it starts to make sense. Which, judging by reading the reviews, is exactly what most of the audience thought.

The inner thoughts of Junior also gave beats of rest between the scenes which aren't tied together super cohesively (which, again, is fine in the book) but in the movie you're just jumping very quickly between things and going "wait.. what?"

If you've read the book, you'll enjoy the movie... maybe. At least with the knowledge of the "twist" you are able to decipher their behavior better. But otherwise I think I liked The One I Love better.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Watching The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. I knew going in that the general response was it didn’t live up to a quarter century of build up, so I had tempered expectations going in. But I think I straight up don’t like it.

I liked it, but I'm a sucker for Gilliam and Jonathan Pryce. He has a habit of making movies that are beautiful messes, where the ambition outstrips the execution. Premise of this one is a lot of fun, with an old cobbler becomes convinced he is Don Quixote after being cast as that years ago by a director who happens to be back in town. That works. And the film is supposed to be about waffling between realities, but it's done in a way that's never as enjoyable as you feel it should be.

iirc, the hero ends up killing Don Quixote by knocking him out of a window and it's revealed the whole final bits are a rich Russian throwing a themed dinner party. Fine idea, but wildly unsatisfying. Like you either want him to lean more into the spectacle of it, or have more fun with it, or something.

I saw it in a theater day of release, and the sound didn't work for the first five minutes. Took them another 20 to get it back on and fixed, which felt oddly appropriate for a movie that took so long to make.

The documentary on his failed attempt to make it the first time is a good watch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I liked it, but I'm a sucker for Gilliam and Jonathan Pryce. He has a habit of making movies that are beautiful messes, where the ambition outstrips the execution. Premise of this one is a lot of fun, with an old cobbler becomes convinced he is Don Quixote after being cast as that years ago by a director who happens to be back in town. That works. And the film is supposed to be about waffling between realities, but it's done in a way that's never as enjoyable as you feel it should be.

iirc, the hero ends up killing Don Quixote by knocking him out of a window and it's revealed the whole final bits are a rich Russian throwing a themed dinner party. Fine idea, but wildly unsatisfying. Like you either want him to lean more into the spectacle of it, or have more fun with it, or something.

I saw it in a theater day of release, and the sound didn't work for the first five minutes. Took them another 20 to get it back on and fixed, which felt oddly appropriate for a movie that took so long to make.

The documentary on his failed attempt to make it the first time is a good watch.

It's not revealed, it's made clear from the start that's what's going on. I think maybe that's one of the reasons I didn't like it, it goes pretty far out of it's way to make sure you know that really fantastical stuff is a dream or has a mundane explanation. It never lets you into the heroism Quixote feels. Which maybe is the point? Maybe? But then the ending where Adam Driver takes the old guy's place as Don Quixote doesn't really flow from that very well. And it makes what could have been fun and whimsical kinda dour and depressing because it never lets you forget they're just the imaginings of an unwell old man.

There's a very strong thematic element of the ~magic~ of cinema being just delusion, but once again that doesn't really flow into the ending and it ends up being very muddled.

It definitely feels like a movie where the script has been rewritten dozens of times over 25 years

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I feel like if spielberg was dead set on having the son live in war of the worlds it would’ve been more interesting to see him done up as a militiaman or something, wearing a bit of scavenged gear or showing up with the soldiers who actually take down the listing tripod. signify that he’s changed or grown in some way since Cruisedad let him go his own way, that in the very least choosing to go fight the Martians, pointless as it was, marked some shift and that he had his own story separate from the main plot. As it is he basically looked like he walked over the hill directly into the end scene of the movie and feels more like a reward for cruise than the coda to an actual character.

regulargonzalez posted:

Similarly, I saw Lincoln with my wife, mom, and sister and we were all in agreement that the movie should have ended with the shot of Lincoln leaving for the theater. It's a great shot, everyone knows what happens after that and there's no need to show it, ending the film at that point gives it a certain piquant flavor that is lost with the extra runtime. It even felt like that's how Spielberg wanted to end it but then just couldn't help himself.

This is exactly how Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter ends, incidentally

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

I feel like when you listen to him actually talk about "retirement", it basically just amounts to the same way he's conducted his whole career. Which is to say, he's not acting just as a job or to make money, he's going to be extremely selective and will only ever take a role that he feels very strongly about. This is a guy who's only been in like 20 movies across a 40+ year career. Only four times in that span did he ever appear in more than a single film in a year. This is the longest he's ever gone between roles but that's bound to happen when you are the least desperate actor in the business.

I know he technically announced "retirement" but I get the sense that's just his way of saying "don't bother me about acting again unless it's for a really good reason".

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hollismason posted:

It's kind of interesting that Daniel Day Lewis just kind of hosed off and isn't making films anymore.

Like dude is legit one of the greatest actors to ever live and just decided nope I'm done with films

The man's busy making shoes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m like three minutes into the movie Silk, and so far the use of experimental Menger Sponge based technology to photograph ghosts has risked causing an international incident between Japan and the US

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ok so Menger Sponge technology has the potential for anti-gravity, which is why all these different governments are so interested in it. But it also lets you see ghosts. And the guy in charge of the project doesn’t give a poo poo about anti-gravity, he’s using that to secure funding and cover for his ghost research. He wants to establish to his own satisfaction that being a ghost is at least no worse than being alive, and what makes someone become a ghost after they die, so he can kill himself and live the worry-free life of a ghost forever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Watching The Green Knight

This movie is insanely beautiful already

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Silk is wild. If I told you there was a movie where someone literally traps a ghost in a rolled up newspaper, you'd probably think it was a pretty goofy, right? Wrong. Silk is very serious.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Waffleman_ posted:

It's really gorgeous but after it ended I decided it was kind of hollow? I didn't care for it ultimately.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The more I think about it, the more that the Road House remake is a perfect encapsulation of everything I hate about modern Late-Stage-Capitalism filmmaking.

It's not because "it's a road house remake", I'm not against remakes on principle and I don't think Road House is a sacred calf or anything.

But it:

-adds an explanation backstory to a character who definitely didn't need one, ruining the fun of the original
-makes sure the backstory ties into WellKnown Brand so it gets in all the fans of The Brand, including adding Notable Member of The Brand as a main character.
-puts all the dialogue faux-RDJ "nice guy chatting around the fight" style that makes for good Tumblr gif sets later
-THEN explains that style directly to the audience
-And finally even if Jake G and Liman did manage to put any heart into it, lol gently caress you we're dumping it straight to streaming.

The first point is the one that pisses me off the most.

It loving rules that in the original Road House, Dalton has no story beyond "ripped a guy's throat out once" and he lives in a world where "famous bouncer" is a thing you can be. It didn't need explaining! The fact that it makes no sense adds to the mystique and build him up as a legendary figure.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I finally watched Poor Things!
I didn’t love it… and I’m scared to go to the Poor Things thread

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

it’s absolutely gorgeous. My favorite Christmas-time movie

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

Belongs on a top ten list of movies with awesome last second

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Green Knight was pretty fuckin' neat. Made its way to the list of movies I want to watch in 4K once I get a device capable of such.

Anyway, I was deciding what to take out from the library next, and I saw that Crouching Tiger was available, so I'll pick that up when I drop off Green Knight tomorrow, and I also put House of Flying Daggers and Police Story 1/2 on hold from other libraries because hey, why not get into a whole wuxia/HK cinema mood for a bit?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gripweed posted:

It's not revealed, it's made clear from the start that's what's going on. I think maybe that's one of the reasons I didn't like it, it goes pretty far out of it's way to make sure you know that really fantastical stuff is a dream or has a mundane explanation. It never lets you into the heroism Quixote feels. Which maybe is the point? Maybe?

This is all true. Big shame the movie wasn't better, because I definitely felt like a lot of the parts worked. Assembly left a lot to be desired.

Watched The Party 1968. Hoo boy. The titular party at the end loving rocks. Suds everywhere, 60's teens, a wild future house. What a bummer they made the protagonist wear brown-face for the whole thing, particularly because where he's from doesn't actually matter in any way for the story to work.

Watched The Party 1980. Sweet french film. Love that the score composer wrote a song for the movie and they use it (or variations of it) in almost every god drat scene. Song has 20 million listens on Spotify and it's entirely because you can't watch this and not get it stuck in your head the 100th time you hear the chorus. Also it has teens skanking to ska!

& also watched The Party 2017. Ridiculous cast with Cillian Murphy (playing a tweaking druggie), Timothy Spall, Cherry Jones, and more -- but it's ultimately a stage play where characters doddle on about their philosophies aimlessly until skeletons come out and DRAMA unfolds.

Really tiring watching anything where the characters are blunt ("I am a lesbian communist hello" "I am a libertarian but I get welfare") and they don't bother to make them more interesting beyond that. For the faults of Asteroid City, it felt like a masterclass in making interesting characters with very little information. Just a few lines, outfits, and actions and you have immensly interesting people you want to spend more time with. Vs. cardboard cut-out's so thin it comes across as empty satire against straw men.

Movies lifted by the performances, but isn't my cup of tea. Not a bad job translating what I assume was a stage play to film.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 30, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The fact that Scorsese is into Shūsaku Endō and it isn't 18 hours has me excited but the subject matter of the last temptation wasn't actually subversive so he needs to understand all Jesus novels are inherently controversial whether he gets the approval from the pope or not
He's thinking he's going to hell anyway

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
If Scorcese wanted to be controversial, he should make a movie about Mohammad.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I just got a forklift liscnecne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EITdCWYTn2I

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Don't have to be able to spell licence to have one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hell yeah brother.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Welcome to being German!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1752335140645212338?s=20

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well at least he's not trying to hide the Basterds influence. Just without, you know, the depth of human drama.

Hopefully it's more like UNCLE than anything else he's done in the past decade.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Anyway, I was deciding what to take out from the library next, and I saw that Crouching Tiger was available, so I'll pick that up when I drop off Green Knight tomorrow, and I also put House of Flying Daggers and Police Story 1/2 on hold from other libraries because hey, why not get into a whole wuxia/HK cinema mood for a bit?

I've really only scratched the surface myself, but delving into 80s/90s Hong Kong action was probably my favorite movie experience of the past few years. If you drop into the Action thread they can give you a ton of recommendations there. Just talking about Jackie though, there's a lot of good stuff you can check out after Police Story. Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever, and Project A are three of the best.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Welcome to being German!

Can I just flash my card at Berghain

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

If Scorcese wanted to be controversial, he should make a movie about Mohammad.

I don't want him to have to pull a Salman Rushdie. Also Scorsese is Catholic, that's why he makes movies about Jesus, I don't think he's that interested in Mohammad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Silence is one of the two Scorceses I've seen and it owns, and it's very funny that it came out like only a year and a half after I read the book for a college course. Book is also good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Silence is one of the two Scorceses I've seen and it owns, and it's very funny that it came out like only a year and a half after I read the book for a college course. Book is also good.

Two Scorseses I've seen is not a phrase someone should utter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Watch After Hours and Age of Innocence