Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

McSpanky posted:

That reminds me of the retro 50s version of DS9 from "Far Beyond The Stars".

Always seemed crazy that the DS9 pylons curved inward instead of outward, if they were meant as docking points. Yeah let's have all the ships crowd together as closely as possible during approach/exit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Outward facing pylons would require a larger shield bubble

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jedit posted:

Here's the full version of the top picture including the original logo for the station and show:

Man, I'm really glad we got what we got instead of this. I know people can really be into that pulp sci-fi 50s vibe but that aint me.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

I said come in! posted:

How come Babylon 5 only has a handful of windows? Brown sector with the poors get windows to peak out of, but the ambassadors do not.

The majority of the internal space just doesn't have any walls that border the outside. The station rotates for gravity, so the 'ground' level which is also down below, is the outermost level. You can have windows to space in the floor there, but not windows in the wall. Lower decks would take the longest to get from one area along the station's length to another, since you'd have to take an elevator all the way to the center, then take the tram to cover the length, then another elevator, so even without the 'down below' political stuff I think they'd be less wanted by an ambassador. The only area where you can have windows into space that aren't in the floor are in rooms at the ends of Babylon 5, and that's where the bridge and the observation deck room are. Those are only a small percentage of the station, so tend to be public or station-function spaces rather than private quarters. I'm also not sure that an ambassador would want to be in the end of the station nearest where ships dock and where the bridge comes under fire in the event of combat, it seems like the most dangerous end to be at.

EDIT: Thinking about it, there really isn't a good reason for the down below windows other than JMS wanting to have a shot that shows them. Putting windows all around the hull would be more difficult, expensive, and time consuming than making a solid hull, so I'd expect the budget-limited Babylon 5 would put them there since they don't seem useful and aren't being used for 'make this a premium room'. It wouldn't feel as much like a space station without those shots so I like that they're there.

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 4, 2023

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

CainFortea posted:

Man, I'm really glad we got what we got instead of this. I know people can really be into that pulp sci-fi 50s vibe but that aint me.

Yeah, I don't think the 'future is 50s' look really works for B5, the '90s in the future' look that they have so much of is part of the charm to me. Also the smooth curves don't fit the 'it's the 5th one, we're not paying a lot for it' feeling - the actual look seems a lot more 'functionally put together' like you'd expect from someone with limited funds than 'smoothed into a cool-looking shape' that would be more extravagant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Yeah, I don't think the 'future is 50s' look really works for B5, the '90s in the future' look that they have so much of is part of the charm to me. Also the smooth curves don't fit the 'it's the 5th one, we're not paying a lot for it' feeling - the actual look seems a lot more 'functionally put together' like you'd expect from someone with limited funds than 'smoothed into a cool-looking shape' that would be more extravagant.

Well, it could have been a "hey, why not refurb that old piece of poo poo they built for the 2176 Galactic Expo?" situation. It does have a certain air of "this was cool 70 years ago". But what we got does look better - the way the whole station hangs from the spine but you don't notice at first because it's in space, things like that.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Hmmm... I don't know that much about 90s CGI, but would the sleek, curvy 40s and 50s style ships work well in it? One advantage of the ships having lots of edges is that you have an excuse for some of the limits of CGI at the time. Not sure if it would be better or worse to try a lot of silvery, shiny curves instead of blockier ships with distinct squares of color.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There were some windows in the edges of the largest bulge for observation rooms, right? I think the guys in "A View From The Gallery" see the space battle from one, and ISA President Sheridan had some kind address in one too, in both cases the windows are in the wall and not on the floor. I imagine there'd be windows there for the same reason you have windows anywhere, for the occupants' viewing pleasure and psychological wellbeing. It's a diplomatic space station, not a battle fortress.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Yeah, I was thinking of it as a simple cylinder but you definitely have space for windows on the front ends of each mini-cylinder part too. That makes more sense for the observation rooms, which we see a number of times, and means you're not always going to the tip of the station for the 'there's a window here' scene.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Wasn't there also windows in some quarters that look into the garden in the centre? Or was that just Sheridan's office?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Pretty sure that's just Sheridan's office, and maybe a couple other one-time locations that were redresses of that set.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jedit posted:

Here's the full version of the top picture including the original logo for the station and show:

The artist is Peter Ledger, who in 1994 became the first victim of the "Babylon Curse" when he was killed in a road accident aged just 49.

It will come as no surprise to you that Ledger got his big break from George Lucas and Gary Kurtz, seeing as how the fighter ship in bottom left is basically Ralph McQuarrie's B-Wing from Return of the Jedi painted red.

For some reason, and I think it's the color palette (but I could be wrong), that art makes me think of Blake's 7

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tonight I am watching with friends, the episode where Ivanova teaches Delenn how to take care of her hair. I always love this moment, its one of my favorite parts of the show.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't hate the episode Believers, but it's slow and not very exciting. The subplot of Ivanova going after raiders was neat, but kinda forgettable because that overarching subplot gets left way behind by the later show.

[doublechecking the thread] It's also one of those episodes of season one that gets totally blown out of the water later down the road by an episode with nearly identical themes but a lot more of an exciting (and relevant) drama about it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't hate the episode Believers, but it's slow and not very exciting. The subplot of Ivanova going after raiders was neat, but kinda forgettable because that overarching subplot gets left way behind by the later show.

[doublechecking the thread] It's also one of those episodes of season one that gets totally blown out of the water later down the road by an episode with nearly identical themes but a lot more of an exciting (and relevant) drama about it.
Which later episode do you mean? I don't doubt they have episodes with similar themes done with more subtlety and more plot relevance, but I love the gutpunch end of Believers. I always liked the thought experiment of "What would Franklin actually have to do to get a 'better' outcome?" in Believers. Find someone willing to 'adopt' the kid and take them off-station and kidnap him before the parents manage to tell security? There's no way out.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Which later episode do you mean? I don't doubt they have episodes with similar themes done with more subtlety and more plot relevance, but I love the gutpunch end of Believers. I always liked the thought experiment of "What would Franklin actually have to do to get a 'better' outcome?" in Believers. Find someone willing to 'adopt' the kid and take them off-station and kidnap him before the parents manage to tell security? There's no way out.

Confessions and Lamentations, and later, Secrets of the Soul. But mostly Confessions.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Chevy Slyme posted:

Confessions and Lamentations, and later, Secrets of the Soul. But mostly Confessions.
Ahh yeah Confessions and Lamentations is a much better episode. I hadn't thought to compare them before but you are right that they have similar themes right to the end.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Quoting myself from the other thread with spoiler bars removed:

ultrafilter posted:

In regards to Believers, it's not that great an episode, but you do have to keep in mind that it aired for the first time in 1994. While the ending isn't that shocking once you've seen a lot of what aired in the 2010s, the only reference that we had for science fiction on television was Star Trek, and you know their writers would've tied up everything in a neat little bow if they'd been given that setting. It's one of a few things that I think JMS did to establish that B5 was not Star Trek, and even if he did go a little far, it was necessary at the time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

quote:

and you know their writers would've tied up everything in a neat little bow if they'd been given that setting

Believers was written by David Gerrold, who ran the writer's room for TNG for the first two seasons. JMS hired him with very specific intent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mllaneza posted:

Believers was written by David Gerrold, who ran the writer's room for TNG for the first two seasons.

Not quite. Gerrold--who was a writer on The Original Series--was deeply involved in the conceptualization, creation and development of TNG, to the point that he worked, extensively, on the original writers' bible (to the extent that he had to threaten to sue in order to get credit). During the first season, he worked on a few scripts--I think he was credited as a consultant--but there was no "writers' room" and he quit about two-thirds of the way through the first season because he was ready to kill Gene Roddenberry's lawyer.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah while the parents disposing of their now-soulless child is the kind of downer that makes you think, an entire race going through anguish and agony only to all die en masse because they couldn't overcome a taboo to admit to a medical issue in order to address it is such a fantastic drama.

The other episodes I'd pair up are David Warner with the Grail, which I actually like a lot better than the later King Arthur episode. I'm sure you can draw parallels for others. Infection is a bit like the either the episode where Marcus catches a secret cabal of brain parasites or the one where a killer alien stows aboard a sleeper ship. The episode where Sinclair gets tortured is a little like some of the later ones where Sheridan gets tortured. But it's not as close.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Timby posted:

Not quite. Gerrold--who was a writer on The Original Series--was deeply involved in the conceptualization, creation and development of TNG, to the point that he worked, extensively, on the original writers' bible (to the extent that he had to threaten to sue in order to get credit). During the first season, he worked on a few scripts--I think he was credited as a consultant--but there was no "writers' room" and he quit about two-thirds of the way through the first season because he was ready to kill Gene Roddenberry's lawyer.

He'd have saved a lot of people a lot of headache if he'd just gone ahead and beaten Leonard Maizlish to death with a typewriter. I bet half the production staff would have given him an alibi.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I liked infection. I don't always need there to be some deep plot thing. Sometimes I just want the "good guy" to sit there and poo poo talk some rear end in a top hat for 5 minutes about how his plan is stupid and he's a big stupid idiot for doing it. Especially when that plan is racial purity.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah I quite like Infection, it's a solid early vibe-setter imo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

If only the bad guy wasn't a literal dickhead. Someone mentioned organic technology and didn't specify which organ.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Commander Jeff is good. Bit stereotypical of a role but the actor plays it well.

Mega Comrade posted:

Wtf Jeff's gone!

This was a fun 1/2 punch in the blind watch thread.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jeff's having a zzz on planet minibar

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

sebmojo posted:

Jeff's having a zzz on planet minibar

Being visited by friends from Narc and Kentucky, and of course ambassador Flush.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Had some major life disruptions going on for a while, but I finally got around to watching The Road Home and I'm here to post about it. I had a blast with it! It was kinda fanservicey, but not in an obnoxious way, and the writing all seemed on point. The cold open with the socks was a great way to get it going, it felt like home immediately. If I'm a sucker, I'm loving every minute of it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

No one to even whisper, "I hear you," and giggle deliriously?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1751061515875348865

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Winifred Madgers posted:

No one to even whisper, "I hear you," and giggle deliriously?

This post reminded me to watch it. Was good. I almost wonder if it was the soft pilot for the big reboot that would have picked up in a universe where the shadows were still asleep. I think you could do a lot of fun politics in that universe and the viewer knowing about the lurking dangers would be a fun tension.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Watched Soul Hunter and I really noticed all the alien extras in masks this time. It's fine for the most part where they just walk by, but there's a couple of moments where it sticks out like the two Minbari chatting in the background without moving their mouths at the start of the episode.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
So I just got the chance to see Journey Home.

It seems....kind of mediocre. We've done Sheridan and Delenn's love story. Saving reality seems like a needless escalation. In some ways this kind of felt like 'What if Babylon 5 was a Saturday morning cartoon'. The dialog was fine, there were a couple of interesting thoughts knocking around, but it really felt like a wasted opportunity to make the What If part mean something. Having Sheridan have to grapple with some of his harder decisions or even failures and come away from it feeling like he's made progress would have been a better character arc, particularly coming after the Telepath colony debacle and the bombing of Centauri Prime. Perhaps even juxtaposing his decisions with stuff that 'just happened' - have a little dialogue about the whole Great Man theory deal. Instead it was just a bit of vanilla fan service. I'm glad it got made, I don't regret throwing more money at Babylon 5, but it seems like a missed opportunity for something more substantial.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Greatest Trek is in pilot season where they are watching pilots of other 90s sci-fi shows and next Friday their episode will be "Midnight at the Firing Line" so I was rewatching it tonight, and God drat what a great pilot episode.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lots of people in the Blind Watch thread who need to shut the gently caress up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

Lots of people in the Blind Watch thread who need to shut the gently caress up.

I think it's good enough, it's mainly people going "yeah it's really good isn't it!" 'll post a reminder.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I think it's good enough, it's mainly people going "yeah it's really good isn't it!" 'll post a reminder.

People saying "G'Kar is great through the whole series" is bordering on a spoiler because it says that he's in the whole series. You pretty much hit on it with telling people not to do the "wait until you see S4" thing, though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jedit posted:

People saying "G'Kar is great through the whole series" is bordering on a spoiler because it says that he's in the whole series. You pretty much hit on it with telling people not to do the "wait until you see S4" thing, though.

Quite frankly, calling this a spoiler is the sort of bullshit paranoia that makes people exhausted with legitimate spoiler warnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Jedit posted:

By that logic saying that the whole series was made is a spoiler.