Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

isn't every metroidvania a ripoff of castlevania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phil Spencer must bring us Hexen III or perish.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

exquisite tea posted:

Phil Spencer must bring us Hexen III or perish.

It's called Graven and it sucks

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this owns https://maddymakesgamesinc.itch.io/celeste64

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching a random person on Twitch play Suicide Squad https://twitch.tv/solidfps I think he is playing on Xbox Series X.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

this twitch stream title is giving me some kind of a brain disease just from reading it

e: lmao at the green lantern boss fight where he just spawns like a million stationary glowing green balls and you beat him by walking around the arena and shooting all of them while they float in place doing nothing like target dummies

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 30, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deadshot: Didn't you hear? we are out on good behavior.

*kills Green Lateran*

King Shark: No we aren't... :confused:

*King Shark then turns into the Green Lateran*

This game is so weird.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

much like the last grocery store muffin in the 6 pack, i'm saving suicide squad for when skillup or a related entity does their inevitable "why the gently caress'd you do this" review to truly savor it

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

What i dont understand is the wildly different responses Palworld and Dead Cells got. Both games rip off all of their best parts from open games, blatantly wearing it on their sleeves, but I've never actually heard any complaint about it over dead cells. Or maybe I just missed it?

The main difference is that Dead Cells never managed to be as good as the games it was ripping off, while Palworld manages to be better than most of them, at least within the same genre

The better comparison than Dead Cells is Vampire Survivors, imo. It even more flagrantly ripped off a mobile game and then added the slot machine element on top, and all of the sprites are just Castlevania stuff but with slightly altered pixels alongside characters such as Not!Bayonetta.

It sold like gangbusters at a cheap price point and got so popular that most people think it is the original because of how many mobile clones of it popped up in response to its success, and nobody has ever meaningfully criticized it especially on the level that Palworld got criticized for similar stuff.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Honestly I keep being shocked I haven't seen a single person bring up Darksiders in the "not legally plagiarism but we can see the notes you copied" discussion. Did they take the portal gun from Portal directly? No, it's a gauntlet now. Does it work the exact same? Hell gently caress yeah it did and it was really cool to use inside of what was a blatant 3D Zelda-clone which was another "wow, that's not what I expected on the tin" moment sort of like all of the POKEMON WITH GUNS trailers not quite giving away that it was gonna be a survival and building sim for ages.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
sounds like it owns op

but those are both examples of poo poo stealing gameplay mechanics, while the people online complaining about their beloved intellectual property being tarnished dont care about the gameplay at all
you'll notice that there's nobody jumping out to defend ark from genre theft here

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also you can't copyright gameplay mechanics but you can copyright character designs so it's not like Valve could do anything about it

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
When folks are talking about the plagiarism in Palworld they primarily just mean that a bunch of Pals are very, very similar model and design wise.

Gameplay wise Palworld took like how you can throw pokeballs? Maybe how pokemon also just scatter pokemon about their open areas. The stuff they take in Palworld is weird, like when you find a new area a jingle plays that's very like the one in Breath of the wild along withe the location name looking similar in presentation.

What I'm surprised at is that the Boltmane/Luxray plagiarism stuff nobody mentions that Boltmane isnt actually in the game and was datamined.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

darksiders has always been a very strange franchise to me because it managed to be successful enough for three whole-rear end games, but i've never heard anyone talking about it, and i say that as someone that even played the first back in the day

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Also you can't copyright gameplay mechanics but you can copyright character designs so it's not like Valve could do anything about it

didn't some rear end in a top hat copyright the loading screen minigame

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Hwurmp posted:

didn't some rear end in a top hat copyright the loading screen minigame

Namco wasn't it?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

sounds like it owns op

but those are both examples of poo poo stealing gameplay mechanics, while the people online complaining about their beloved intellectual property being tarnished dont care about the gameplay at all
you'll notice that there's nobody jumping out to defend ark from genre theft here

Did you ignore the part where Vampire Survivors is just Castlevania, visually, even moreso than Palworld is like Pokemon, or

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That was a patent, which has different requirements and expires a lot faster than a copyright

But yes you can still use those to gently caress people over

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Fajita Queen posted:

Did you ignore the part where Vampire Survivors is just Castlevania, visually, even moreso than Palworld is like Pokemon, or

VS had to change all their sprites though correct? Like olrox's sprite used to literally be in the game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vermain posted:

darksiders has always been a very strange franchise to me because it managed to be successful enough for three whole-rear end games, but i've never heard anyone talking about it, and i say that as someone that even played the first back in the day
darksiders is the embodiment of bad xbox 360 games that try to get by on late 2000s/early 2010s edge that was lame even at the time but 15 years later embarrassingly so

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

coincidentally most of those games also have incredibly bad god of war clone combat

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Vermain posted:

Obviously there are 3 LPs of the first game on the archive because every time it got completed, we all forgot about it, and someone else said: "Hey, you know what I should play..."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Suicide squad as the destiny 2 endgame gun grind

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Bane, famous for his guns. Just not those kinds of guns.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
The Riddler's Iconic Light Machine Gun

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Suicide squad as the destiny 2 endgame gun grind

are there seriously still people in the world playing something other than PoE that get excited about the prospect of a game with items that drop with randomized affixes. like who the gently caress is this even supposed to be for

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain posted:

are there seriously still people in the world playing something other than PoE that get excited about the prospect of a game with items that drop with randomized affixes. like who the gently caress is this even supposed to be for

Looter shooters like Borderlands are fine, people just wanted Arkham 4.
Watched a little of the stream above. Just a complete tonal whiplash from AK.

The cinematics are nice? :shrug:

Lookin forward to picking it up for :10bux:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Vermain posted:

I have been told I need to try Darksiders: Genesis because it's one of the only titles to knock off Lara Croft and the Temple of Light, as a really good co-op action game/puzzle-platformer. I will never try Darksiders 2 again because it just sucked to play... And also had that random drop item horseshit with no loot filters or reason other than time wasting to exist. In a single player game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

claw game handjob posted:

I have been told I need to try Darksiders: Genesis because it's one of the only titles to knock off Lara Croft and the Temple of Light, as a really good co-op action game/puzzle-platformer. I will never try Darksiders 2 again because it just sucked to play... And also had that random drop item horseshit with no loot filters or reason other than time wasting to exist. In a single player game.

oh man, i completely missed that one, and it's an airship syndicate joint

actually kinda surprised i never clued into that before; all their other games have very powerful darksiders energy with the exaggerated proportions and the heavy comic-style linework they have in games like ruined king that really ape mcfarlane's style to a T

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
gently caress, of course they're the Battle Chasers people. Why did I also not put two and two together on this before you said it?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Dead cells literally wants you to know what games they took their skills and mechanics and encounters from, recognizing "oh thats [thing] from [game]" is literally the whole point of a good half the game. I brought it up because like Palworld it is a very intentional mishmash that explicitly expects its users to recognize the sources its taking from because it adds to user enjoyment - vampire survivors was more of a visual ripoff but it wasnt similarly open about it from what I recall?

People seriously asking "what did desd cells rip off" are just... Isnt literally every character model but the starting one from a different game? And like a good two third of the skills and cards at least, just from the ones I recognized - Inwouldnt be surprised if the percentage was higher. Several of the enemies, nearly all of the special encounters, and basically all the enoyable mechanics and structure.

Its not a perfect comparison or anything, but I thought it was good enough

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vermain posted:

that's cause the 2nd game loving sucked. Like, really badly, I've never had such bad whiplash going from one game to the next. The unique thing about Darksiders games is that each entry, which focuses on a different character, plays differently in a way to fit that character. Unfortunately Death got the short stick that probably soured a lot of people on the series. Seriously the dumbest story.

Darksiders 3 is awesome though you can see that devs were like "hey how about that Dark Soulish deliberate combat instead of DMC", not a bad thing mind you. Genesis is also great, a top down twin stickstyle character action brawler hybrid thing, which gets bonus points for being equally fun in co-op or singleplayer.

edit: ef;b, but yeah as a whole Darksiders is a great series with one real fuckin' stinker. Seriously gently caress the trash fire that is Darksiders 2. I look forward to when we get to play 4 and the whole gang reunites.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i think you're just describing art at that point

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

VS had to change all their sprites though correct? Like olrox's sprite used to literally be in the game.

VS was also a weekend hobby project for the dev, so he just used a Castlevania spritesheet without even thinking about it because it was something he'd probably lose interest in within a few months. Then it exploded, made a bunch of money and I think one of the first things he did was commission original sprites.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*hands little brother the broken hotdog controller*
https://twitter.com/Hyperkin/status/1752038177987281064

The Mac & Cheese controller is for Pro Gamers only

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Propaganda Hour posted:

It's called Graven and it sucks

A pity, I liked the demo from a couple years ago.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

isn't every metroidvania a ripoff of castlevania

No, some are ripoffs of Zelda II

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Metroidvania castlevanias are Metroid ripoffs.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Watching a random person on Twitch play Suicide Squad https://twitch.tv/solidfps I think he is playing on Xbox Series X.

They just finished the story

Please grind endless missions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

They just finished the story

Please grind endless missions

Yep checks out, this is how all of these live service looter shooters do it. If its anything like the Avengers then there is only one actual mission worth doing over and over again.