Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's a neat timeline (including earliest/latest dates for filings) here: https://www.justsecurity.org/88039/trumps-legal-and-political-calendar-all-the-dates-you-need-to-know/

For today, for instance:

quote:

Monday, January 29, 2024 – Trump Colorado SCOTUS 14A: Last day for any motion pertaining to Feb. 8 oral argument, including leave to argue as amicus curiae or for additional allotted time, to be filed;
Massachusetts 14A: State Ballot Law Commission must render its decision by 5 PM on objections filed to remove Trump from the state’s 2024 ballot  

The site has each event linking to a citation of their source for the date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

The Islamic Shock posted:

Buyout private equity firms are really good at stripping the copper out of the walls, make the monitor someone who retired from that gig

As for everyone who gets their paychecks signed by Trump who would be out of a job, gently caress 'em (the ones working voluntarily at least)

Most private equity copper stripping jobs are literally
  1. Identity chicken, incorporate bib as an llc
  2. Have parent vc bank give you a secured loan in the name of bib to purchase the chicken, using the value of the chicken as collateral.
  3. Take out as many loans as possible with chicken and bib, again using it as collateral.
  4. Reverse merger chicken with bib llc, making chicken llc assume all debts.
  5. Consume chicken, pay parent bank loan with outrageous interest (chicken now has no legal connection to parent bank), pay self bonus
  6. Keep lights on barely on past clawback period
  7. File bib/chicken bankruptcy Abandon residual chicken bones to bank
Its bank fraud with just enough real business as a shell game to avoid regulatory controls and court convictions. Your taking loans you have no intention of paying back as faithfully as you pay back the parent fund. Typically your also doing it to strip value from an asset that would have more value than price if you reduced operating costs to zero until it could no longer operate, which fits retail to a T with how inventory works.

Minimal value for a company that is transparently worthless and also fairly unethical in practice. Also, it might be difficult to implement in a company that already has mortgages on its assets and a recent bank fraud conviction.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Buyout private equity firms are really good at stripping the copper out of the walls, make the monitor someone who retired from that gig

Like Bain Capital?

Somebody get Mittens on the hotline, stat!

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So what's the upcoming schedule for February in the worlld of Trump Legal?

https://www.justsecurity.org/88039/trumps-legal-and-political-calendar-all-the-dates-you-need-to-know/

EFB

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The thing about this that I never understood

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Most private equity copper stripping jobs are literally
[List=1]
[*] Take out as many loans as possible with chicken and bib, again using it as collateral.

Who is lending the money, and given how known this script is why would they?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Scratch Monkey posted:

They make it not their money ASAP. They also know how long they have before it implodes (after the clawback period).

The whole thing is wearing a skin of we are bringing in good management practices to turn that inefficient business around.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Scratch Monkey posted:

The thing about this that I never understood

Anyone with commercial loans, because you don't kill and eat the chicken before you get the loans your company just looks like it's trying to become independent under it's new ownership. Banks are a lot more careful now but this process is relatively slow, for example toys r Us went private equity in 2004 and went bankrupt in 2017. Tons of time to boil your commercial lender frog and extract value to your board and shareholders. Commercial lending safeguards only really prevent outright scams, a company that's getting hollowed out will limp along until a major shock kills it. Essentially, cutting down to the minimum required to continue being a going concern instead of reinvestment. The private equity had their money out by the time store closures started, and as long as you can make payments existing loans don't really readjust.

Its a very slow burn, additionally many times VC run the company just fine and make more money than stripping it, but that tends to happen more in production than retail. Basically, it's impossible to tell before it's too late to do anything about it and your going to loose your commercial lending loan broker job if you don't give loans out to seemingly legitimate clients.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I wonder if this country's youth are going to hate capitalism enough to make the obviously immoral thing that hurts everyone but the ruling class illegal before I die

Or will we just give up the pretense of democracy altogether by the time this place is far enough to the left for people to realize who's actually loving them and care

Edit: holy poo poo there are people of voting age alive right now whose parents know the prosperity of pre-Reagan as nothing but a history lesson

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 29, 2024

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

I wonder if this country's youth are going to hate capitalism enough to make the obviously immoral thing that hurts everyone but the ruling class illegal before I die

Or will we just give up the pretense of democracy altogether by the time this place is far enough to the left for people to realize who's actually loving them and care

Edit: holy poo poo there are people of voting age alive right now whose parents know the prosperity of pre-Reagan as nothing but a history lesson
there was that lady who was talking to congress and she was like "we've tried it your way for decades, i wish just once you'd try fully funding child care in this country "just to see how it works" but the only thing you'll even try is austerity politics" to paraphrase. we must "experiment" with doing things the far right way to see how it works over the long term. no longer than that. longer. loooooonger...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

It's not really that mind-blowing that there are people in America under the age of 44 with teenagers.

The more mind-blowing thing is that there are people of voting age right now who were born multiple years after 9/11.

Caros
May 14, 2008

As for everyone who gets their paychecks signed by Trump who would be out of a job, gently caress 'em (the ones working voluntarily at least)

Give it to one William Mittington Romney.

Edit: gently caress beaten. Teach me to read the next page.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's not really that mind-blowing that there are people in America under the age of 44 with teenagers.

The more mind-blowing thing is that there are people of voting age right now who were born multiple years after 9/11.

As a foster parent this constantly fucks with me. I found out the other day that my kid was believing 9/11 truther poo poo off tik tok and i had to sit them down and show them youtube recordings from live 9/11 footage because they soemhwo thought that 'but dad, no one even saw the planes hit'

I weep for the next generation raised on this poison internet.

Caros fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 29, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Private equity made Dominos Pizza taste sort of okay and got Olive Garden to start salting their pasta.

Therefore, it is a land of contrasts.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Dominos is decent chain pizza at trash pizza prices it is the weirdest outcome by far

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Unfortunately Starboard ended up reneging on the promise to salt their pasta water, and even acknowledged that the old board was right and the salt damaged the pots too much. Private equity is truly good for nothing.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Caros posted:

Give it to one William Mittington Romney.

Edit: gently caress beaten. Teach me to read the next page.

As a foster parent this constantly fucks with me. I found out the other day that my kid was believing 9/11 truther poo poo off tik tok and i had to sit them down and show them youtube recordings from live 9/11 footage because they soemhwo thought that 'but dad, no one even saw the planes hit'

My favorite part of getting to tour the Pentagon mid-reconstruction was seeing all the missing internal pillars because they were building the drat thing so fast mid-WWII, that they just like, forgot to put them up in the first place.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Have we heard anything about Trump's immunity case that's with the appellate court right now? I feel like they heard that case a while ago now and it seemed like a pretty big slam dunk that he doesn't have absolute immunity I know they are trying to thread the needle on how much immunity a president has but if they aren't willing to release their opinion couldn't they lift the current pause on the Chutkan case?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Caros posted:

Single tear rolling down my cheek as I turn to my foster child and hit play on tribute.mov

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What happened to never forget

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Staluigi posted:

Dominos is decent chain pizza at trash pizza prices it is the weirdest outcome by far

Fresh hot dominos is great but I've found it is really bad later on cold unlike a lot of other pizzas.

Caros
May 14, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

What happened to never forget

Cant forget what you never knew, apparently.

Edit: Apparently the DOJ just subpoena'd the house? Some Jan 6ers might be having a bad time.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1752047801695891880?t=CcWaMa7AcHomYkF1GF6Nqw&s=19

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Caros posted:

Edit: Apparently the DOJ just subpoena'd the house? Some Jan 6ers might be having a bad time.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1752047801695891880?t=CcWaMa7AcHomYkF1GF6Nqw&s=19

Grain of salt on this since the mediator's with Meidas.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

That is totally fair. Trying to unjunk my feed lately but it can be hard since I don't want to click through and figure out who half these morons are.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Acyn has tended to be a lot more reliable than Meidas at large. The video accurately represents what his text describes.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The problem with Meidas is that they make everything g click baity right?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

At least if this is accurate, it's not a J6 thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Punchbowl are politico-style mercenary scum, but like politico they tend to be very well connected.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Like Bain Capital?

Somebody get Mittens on the hotline, stat!

Oh that would be incredible, haljordans ghost would approve

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Anyone with commercial loans, because you don't kill and eat the chicken before you get the loans your company just looks like it's trying to become independent under it's new ownership. Banks are a lot more careful now but this process is relatively slow, for example toys r Us went private equity in 2004 and went bankrupt in 2017. Tons of time to boil your commercial lender frog and extract value to your board and shareholders. Commercial lending safeguards only really prevent outright scams, a company that's getting hollowed out will limp along until a major shock kills it. Essentially, cutting down to the minimum required to continue being a going concern instead of reinvestment. The private equity had their money out by the time store closures started, and as long as you can make payments existing loans don't really readjust.

Its a very slow burn, additionally many times VC run the company just fine and make more money than stripping it, but that tends to happen more in production than retail. Basically, it's impossible to tell before it's too late to do anything about it and your going to loose your commercial lending loan broker job if you don't give loans out to seemingly legitimate clients.

You mention that sometimes the companies take flight again and it's hard for lenders to be sure which is which. Are the parasitic investors thinking that either thing could happen? Is it a case of them going in from the start with an intention and a plan to hollow out a company, or are they going in with a view to make the company make money but protecting themselves so well (to the point of malice) that even if they go too far and their load-lightening crosses over into "hollowing out" they still get paid?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

:laffo:

Trump lawyer says judge's possible conflict may taint $83 mln Carroll verdict

quote:

A lawyer for Donald Trump said on Monday a possible conflict of interest involving the judge who oversaw E. Jean Carroll's recent defamation trial may justify overturning the writer's $83.3 million award.

In a letter filed in federal court in Manhattan, the lawyer Alina Habba cited a Jan. 27 New York Post article discussing U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan's alleged prior working relationship with Carroll's lawyer Roberta Kaplan, who is not related.

Both worked about two years at the same time at the law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison in the early 1990s, before Judge Kaplan was appointed to the federal bench in 1994.

The article quoted an unnamed former Paul Weiss partner who said Roberta Kaplan sought to distinguish herself, like all associates, and Judge Kaplan had been "like her mentor."

Habba said this "particularly concerning" matter could justify a new trial on liability and damages, which the judge's "overtly hostile" treatment of Trump's side and "preferential" treatment of Carroll's side could also support.

Trump plans to appeal last Friday's $83.3 million verdict, which stemmed from his June 2019 denials that he raped Carroll in a Bergdorf Goodman department store dressing room in the mid-1990s.

Judge Kaplan's chambers did not immediately respond to a request for comment after business hours.

Spokespeople for Carroll and Roberta Kaplan did not immediately respond to similar requests, but one spokesperson told the Post that no conflict existed. Paul Weiss also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

:lmao:
:lol:
:roflolmao:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again?

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
“Your honor, both the judge and the plaintiff’s lawyers are within six degrees of Kevin Bacon, therefore I rest my case.”

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I've held off for as long as I can

sorry

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If a lawyer knowing/working with the judge 30 years ago was grounds for dismissal than like over 50% of cases out there would be tossed.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

reuters and ap could just put this as the title of the story and it would not violate journalistic objectivity in the slightest

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm more excited about the announcement of appeals considering the whole escrow thing for new york state.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Whether there's another appeal or not, that's a large wad o cash no longer available to the RNC.

If the leader of the party destroys it because they're in too deep to pull out now, I may lol all the way to Alpha Centauri, there to be reunited with my balls (currently orbiting a gas giant).

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

PainterofCrap posted:

there to be reunited with my balls (currently orbiting a gas giant).

...this is a Uranus joke isn't it?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

enthusiasm for funding a political campaign or party dries up fast as hell when potential donors realize that their money isn't going to a campaign but is actually going to past due bills. its happening to the michigan gop under kristina karamo

if trump's continued self-inflicted court ordered debt means that donor money intended for the presidential election is now obviously being pipelined directly into the maw of the I Will Never Shut The gently caress Up Fund c/o trump's greasy catshit for brains cosplay lawyer, then it could change some things

it's cult leader sacred cow status battling directly against large financing groups starting to reassess whether to cut obvious losses and the potential for snowballing is at least non-zero

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The best part is even when Trump isn't syphoning up campaign donations to pay for his doomed legal issues, he's syphoning up campaign donations that would normally be directed down ballot to his own ends. Between Donald Trump and Rick Scott it's a miracle that even pocket change gets to the proper campaign.

So all that's left are Super PACs funded entirely by insane libertarian and dominionist billionaires that are completely untethered from voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gyges posted:

So all that's left are Super PACs funded entirely by insane libertarian and dominionist billionaires that are completely untethered from voters.

Aren't a lot of the big spender insane libertarian and dominionist billionaires apparently thinking of just sitting this one out?

I guess we'll see when the general starts.