Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah that's the elephant in the room liberals are desperately hoping everyone else ignores. Ok who cares if inflation is low if the prices themselves are still unaffordable. Unless they are talking about deflation or price controls or increasing wages dramatically then I don't give a poo poo what Biden has to say about inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Axetrain posted:

I don't give a poo poo what Biden has to say

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
trump is nuclear ebola hydrogen bomb meteor hitting the earth HILTERRRRRRR!!!!

biden is only like normal hitler.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Iran warmongering freaks me out more than just about any other Republican stupidity. Even tons of leftists think it'd be "another Iraq". Invading and occupying Iran would not be anything like Iraq. It'd be waaaaaaaaay worse. For a quite a few (mostly mountain-related) reasons:

Let's look at who we'd be fighting. First of all Iraq had less than half the population of current day Iran. A ~third~ of which were Kurds who were pretty much defacto independent and hostile to Saddam and Sunni militant groups alike. The vast majority of those left were Shiites who don't join Sunni Islamist orgs and weren't exactly keen on Saddam either. So the pool of people that were potentially recruitable by post-Saddam militant groups probably consisted of 5 million people tops. Iran, on the other hand, pretty much have the Balochs, a few million Kurds, and nobody else in the "would never join up with militants in a statistically significant way" camp. So you're looking at a recruiting pool of, oh, lets say 60 million people. Who on average have a much, much stronger sense of national identity than Iraqis do. Iran isn't some arbitrary chunk of land that's been haggled over and passed around like a Thanksgiving side dish between half a dozen empires for the past 800 years. Even the most "pro-western" Iranians are not going to be chill with being invaded. Also likely to be way better armed.

Now lets look at the environments we'd be fighting in. Iraq at one point had a significant amount of forest and swamps that might have been useful to hide out in. Less so at the time we invaded. Outside of Kurdistan, who were cheering us on, Iraq is as flat as a pancake. Pretty much all Sunni Arab civilization in the country is clustered around a handful of rivers. Between these rivers are exposed flatlands. There's no hiding out in the wilderness here. The core cities are Shiite. It's honestly about as ideal a situation you could ask for to fight against a Sunni insurgency.

Whereas Iraq had one giant population cluster that pretty much everything radiated out from, Iran's population is spread out over quite a few regions. Keep in mind Tehran alone is significantly more populous than Baghdad, and quite a few of Iran's other cities are pretty big in their own right. With rural supporting populations to match, which don't conveniently follow a small number of rivers like they do in Iraq.

Oh and lets talk about topography now, starting with the Tehran area. Well well well, look at all those mountains! Boy howdy what a fun place to fight a massive insurrection in.

And whats that on the other side of the Alborz? Why its the jungles of Hyrcania! Some of the most dense forests in the world. This lovely combination of landscapes is an insurgents wetdream and has made for some fun history.

Medieval accounts of struggles to bring the region to heel typically describe what we would today call guerrilla warfare, in a time period where that wasn't much of a thing. Arab commanders marched armies in and their mace-crushed skulls were thrown back out. Fun.

Okay, so Tehran is a nightmare, what about that Esfahan place, surely it's not as bad? Conceded, its landscape isn't as hostile as the Alborz. But, oh wait, it's mountains. Good luck moving troops through them without getting them all gunned down by the defending forces.

The Zagros range is only as bad as most of Afghanistan. How about Tabriz? Nope, more freaking mountains.

How bout Kermanshah? How about some mountains?

Uh....Shiraz? How bout Even. More. Mountains.

Okay so you keep looking at this topographic map of Iran and you notice that this Ahvaz place isn't in the Zagros range and is in some nice flat-STOP! You remember all those marshes Iraq used to have? Well they're pretty messed up here too, but they still exist.

The poor souls who get sent here can get their very own Vietnam experience marching through the oil polluted mudflats of Khuzestan! Which for the past while have also gone through a massive drought that's raised a poo poo ton of dust storms, while not actually making the ground any less mudflatty.

Alright. What about that Mashhad place way up in the Northeast? It's Iran's second biggest city and the mountains seem less dense and and and-

No.

There's no relevant area where the terrain isn't hostile as hell to an occupying force and the locals would even grudgingly tolerate our presence the way the Shiite areas of Iraq did. We'd probably lose more people in the initial government toppling than in the entire War on Terror to this point. It'd be impossible to hold without massive Vietnam level death-tolls, and even then I'm not actually sure we could. Due to having a million different fronts it'd be mind mindbogglingly expensive, to the point that it might actually cause the US to go the way of the French Fourth Republic.

Don't loving invade Iran. It's not worth it.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/paulimeth/status/1752024690716275188

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the rate of change in this brief moment of time means we're better than you

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

readingatwork posted:

Did the prices for stuff ever come back down at all? Because inflation evening out is worthless all that means is we've turned the pandemic pricing into the new normal.

i spent six bucks on a specific brand of dog treats instead of eight since the last time i bought them a couple of days ago so despite my post history i am now solidly on the biden train

lol

lmao

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
stop! asian hate! is what the protestors were chanting while they were blocking pelosi from exiting her driveway

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

readingatwork posted:

Did the prices for stuff ever come back down at all? Because inflation evening out is worthless all that means is we've turned the pandemic pricing into the new normal.

It doesn't seem to. I've been price tracking all my purchases by item since early 2021 and while some things came down a little bit, they didnt come down anywhere near their original pricing. For example at costco on 2/8/21 a 48oz of sourcream was 3.99. The price jumped up to 4.99 over a few months and on 12/19/23 it was 4.89.

Flour is another good one. I actually got kinda hosed on the data for it because costco kept switching brands but settled on central bakery. But for the same 20lbs of flour I buy - in early 2021 it was 15.99 and at its peak it was 17.99 and now its back down to 16.99 as of last week. But those are things that went down at all. Most things in my spreadsheet never dropped in price at all. Basically anything dairy? went up and stayed really up.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Eggs and gas both came way down, praise be

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
not for long

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Oneiros posted:

noticing "trump is literally hitler and anyone who doesn't vote for biden is responsible for the coming holocaust 2 electric boogaloo" takes ramping up from the utterly useless fucks commonly known as "progressives"

this poo poo is gonna be unbearable closer to the election if it's already this bad

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Stop, Asian! Hate.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

even joy ann reid is sick of biden's warmongering

https://twitter.com/MakeTexasBlue22/status/1752131659040719287

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

well, her hacker's hot mic

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

looking at her mask, this was on upside down day

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Is it too early to toxx for not voting for Biden?

Can I do it more than once?

silicone thrills posted:

It doesn't seem to. I've been price tracking all my purchases by item since early 2021 and while some things came down a little bit, they didnt come down anywhere near their original pricing. For example at costco on 2/8/21 a 48oz of sourcream was 3.99. The price jumped up to 4.99 over a few months and on 12/19/23 it was 4.89.

Flour is another good one. I actually got kinda hosed on the data for it because costco kept switching brands but settled on central bakery. But for the same 20lbs of flour I buy - in early 2021 it was 15.99 and at its peak it was 17.99 and now its back down to 16.99 as of last week. But those are things that went down at all. Most things in my spreadsheet never dropped in price at all. Basically anything dairy? went up and stayed really up.

Yeah, that's kind of the vibe I've been getting as well but it's been hard to tell because my memory is bad and I don't always buy the same things every week.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Why haven't you overthrown trudawu, the illegal president of canada?? It says right there you only believe in queen

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

cmon you old psychopath start a war with iran doom the empire

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

comrade kim, you could do the funniest thing possible right now

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

:ironicat:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

well, her hacker's hot mic

nah, the guy was taping it & heard her over the clip of biden talking, afaik.

edit: another viewer said she apologized.

bitter lol about this after what they did to mehdi hasan.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 06:31 on Jan 30, 2024

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trump Is a Combination of Every Threat We Have Ever Faced in Our History

David Rothkopf, Bernard Schwartz

For the past nearly 250 years, when the United States faced a grave threat, our people rose up and sacrificed whatever it took to defeat it. From the American Revolution to the Civil War to the menace of the Nazis or Soviet communism, we were willing to do what we had to do to defend what we valued most about this country.

Today, as it did once before, in 1861, the greatest peril confronting the country comes from within. Then as now, it was a threat that sought to divide America, and it was a threat founded in racism, contempt for our Constitution, and a twisted sense of what was worth preserving from our past.

The new threat, of course, is led by Donald Trump
In recent days, we have watched as the vast majority of leaders of the Republican Party, including many of Trump’s former foes, from Marco Rubio to Ted Cruz, have lined up behind the twice-impeached, frequently indicted former president. Nikki Haley can stay in the race as long as she likes, but the primaries are now effectively over. The worst president in our history is, arguably, stronger within the leadership ranks of the Republican Party than he has ever been. He is now the most dangerous presidential candidate in U.S. history. As a consequence, the great question before the rest of us is whether enough of us are ready to do whatever is necessary to defeat this threat as we have all those that have come before.

Sadly, there is reason to believe that this time we may not meet the challenge. Right now, Donald Trump is one of two people who could be our next president. The race, at the moment, between him and President Joe Biden, is too close to call.

That it seems a choice at all is what should mortify us. It is a sign that many in our society are blind to reality. And it is a sign that the rest of us, who understand both reality and what is at stake, have not yet done our job communicating to one another, to our friends, family, and communities what must be done to defend our country and our system.

Joe Biden by any objective metric has been one of the most successful presidents in modern U.S. history. He has led the creation of more major legislative initiatives benefiting the American people than any president in 60 years. He oversaw the creation of more than 14 million jobs during his first three years in office. He has brought down inflation and reduced the prices of vital medicines to affordable levels. He has restored American leadership worldwide, expanded our vital alliances like NATO, and stood up to our enemies. All presidents face challenges and make missteps. But it is hard to deny that in the wake of the U.S. economic recovery, the passage of the American Rescue Plan, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill, the CHIPs and Science Act, and the Inflation Reduction Act, the expansion of NATO, and the creation of new Indo-Pacific alliances, Biden’s record is formidable.

That a president with this record is in a horse race with a candidate who is a menace to the country, who led an insurrection, who is a pathological liar whom courts have found to be a fraud and a rapist, and who has no real ideas, no credible policy proposals, no record of actually ever achieving anything for the American people is chilling.

You would have thought that the sight of mobs carrying Trump flags and weapons and chanting for the death of Vice President Mike Pence on January 6, 2021, would have been alarm enough. You would have thought the same of Trump’s Access Hollywood tape, in which he confessed his impulse to abuse women. You would have thought the two dozen women who accused him of abuse would have had that effect. Even if none of those things were quite warning enough, you would have thought the findings in the E. Jean Carroll case would have been enough. After all, respected federal judge Lew Kaplan wrote, “The fact that Mr. Trump sexually abused—indeed, raped—Ms. Carroll has been conclusively established and is binding in this case.”

It should have been enough. But so far, it has not been.

You would have thought that Trump reaching out on national television to our Russian adversaries for aid during the 2016 campaign would have been enough. You would have thought the conclusive findings of every major U.S. intelligence agency that Russia sought to aid Trump’s campaign would have been enough. You would have thought that Robert Mueller’s finding 10 instances of possible obstruction of justice by Trump would have been enough. You would have thought Trump kowtowing to Vladimir Putin and taking his word over that of our intelligence and law enforcement communities would have been enough. You would have thought his illegally withholding aid to Ukraine to seek dirt on Joe Biden would have been enough. You would have thought his impeachment for that would have been enough.

You would have thought his second impeachment for January 6 would have been enough. You would have thought his continually spreading “the Big Lie” about our elections would have been enough. You would have thought that the fact he sought to disrupt the peaceful transfer of power between U.S. political leaders for the first time in our history would have been enough. You would have thought that his continuing to advocate for the January 6 rioters and his promises to pardon these “hostages” would have been enough.

You would have thought that indictments on 91 different criminal counts would have been enough. How could they not be, given that he stole national secrets, defrauded banks and insurance companies, and orchestrated a nationwide effort to do the same to voters?

Or perhaps it would be that he increased the national debt by over $8 trillion, that his only major legislative accomplishment in four years in office was a tax cut that benefited the rich. Or perhaps it would be that he, as he so often brags, is the man behind stripping away the rights of women to control their own bodies, to get an abortion if they need one, that would have sent the message that he should never again be a candidate for any office of any kind in the United States.

Or, finally, after all that, perhaps it would have been Trump’s promises to be a dictator from day one, to fire all who are not loyal to him, to throw his opponents and media critics in jail, to round up undocumented immigrants into concentration camps, that would lead some, more than a tiny handful within his own party, to say: No, this is too far. This is what America has stood against, fought against since our founding. But no.

Trump wants to be a king like the one we overthrew. He wants to trash the Constitution, divide America, and promote white supremacy, as did enemies from within 160 years ago. He embraces the tactics of the fascists we fought in World War II. He is publicly an ally and part of global right-wing nationalist movements.

He acts like our enemies. Not like any one of them but like all of those we have ever faced combined into a single threat even more insidious than the others.

So, ask yourself, is that enough to make you do more than you have done? Is that enough to commit for the next 10 months to do more than you have ever done during an election year? To give more? To canvas more? To spread the word more? To help get voters to the polls? To ensure every member of your family, your friends, your co-workers do the same? The stakes are too high to do less than everything you can. The stakes are too high to allow this man to continue to play any role in American public life.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I've never seen such hardcore flop sweat this early in an election year.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

David J. Rothkopf (born December 24, 1955) is an American foreign policy, national security and political affairs analyst and commentator. He is the founder and CEO of TRG Media and The Rothkopf Group, a columnist for the Daily Beast and a member of the USA Today Board of Contributors...He left government service and became managing director of Kissinger Associates, the international advisory firm founded and chaired by former U.S. Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger.

In 1999, he co-founded and served as chairman and CEO of Intellibridge Corporation, a provider of international analysis and open-source intelligence for the U.S. national security community and selected investors, financial organizations and other corporations.

Bernard Leon Schwartz (born December 13, 1925) is the former Chairman of the Board and CEO of Loral Space & Communications, a position he held for 34 years.

Schwartz is a lifelong Democrat.[1] According to NBC News, he was the largest single contributor to the Democratic Party from 1992 to 1996. In 1996, he celebrated his 71st birthday with Bill and Hillary Clinton at the White House.[4] In 1998 Schwartz became embroiled in a campaign donations scandal and an alleged transfer of missile technology to China that occurred in 1996. He was exonerated of any wrongdoing in the campaign finance matter after a Justice Department investigation.[5][6][7] Loral settled the missile transfer matter with the Justice Department in 2002, paying a $14 million fine and admitting no wrongdoing.[8]

In 2016, Schwartz donated US$1 million to Priorities USA Action, a Super PAC supporting Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.[9] Schwartz is also in the $5 million - $10 million bracket of donors to the Clinton Foundation

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Trump Is a Combination of Every Threat We Have Ever Faced in Our History

how much glue do you have to huff before you can write this, honestly

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
That's a lot of words to say even though Trump is a piece of poo poo and did nothing of value as president, us democrats did even less and are about to lose to him yet again.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nothing says faith in our candidate than increasingly hyperbolic rhetoric 9 months out from election day.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

That's a lot of words to say even though Trump is a piece of poo poo and did nothing of value as president, us democrats did even less and are about to lose to him yet again.

Trump gave me money. Biden only gave the rest of the money Trump had promised.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

how many new organs do you think biden has by now

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

do you do it all at once or is it like a car where you replace different things at different mileages

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

donald trump is a combination of hitler, the communists, the black power movement, nine eleven, blue jacket, and king george

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

Trump gave me money. Biden only gave the rest of the money Trump had promised.

:qq: you're not allowed to do things people want thats CHEATING :qq:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Al! posted:

do you do it all at once or is it like a car where you replace different things at different mileages

i just assume every so often a kid wanders too close and he takes something from them to sustain himself

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it owns how the word "deniers" is now repurposed for so many ambiguous things that it doesnt even work as an epithet for climate deniers anymore

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Gripweed posted:

This is the chick who got Kiwifarms taken down and then immediately tried to start her own Kiwifarms, right?

man can you imagine building your entire identity around the idea that a brand is pure evil and then decide to fight that by just agitating for an identically structured brand built off of the exact same toxic subculture

anyway back on topic i sure am glad that joe biden the most wonderful man in the world is running for president if only he had made his mark on politics sooner so he could have stopped all this trump nonsense before it started

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

i just assume every so often a kid wanders too close and he takes something from them to sustain himself

virginity doesn’t work that way

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Al! posted:

The Biden of Theseus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Willa Rogers posted:

nah, the guy was taping it & heard her over the clip of biden talking, afaik.

edit: another viewer said she apologized.

bitter lol about this after what they did to mehdi hasan.

the gently caress these people apologizing for: sorry for being human beep boop genocide mode robot mode ACTIVATED
no its all perfectly good and alright
let's buy some banana hammocks tonight