Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I suspect you misread the patch notes. You still get unusually high IP loot from world bosses, it's just no longer automatically at the tier max. And thst ceiling keeps on moving up and up, so it's always worth it to do a World Boss

The season Journey stuff is probably their new version of haedrigs gift. It's way less powerful, but then again, haedrigs gift was a necessity due to how they reworked itemization with RoS. You are playing in the kiddie pool until you get 6 pieces from 1 set, so they had to ensure a guaranteed point in time that you'd get it

I agree there should be a zestier, more potent Welcome to the Season power boost though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Before, world boss was worth doing because you'd get a guaranteed 900+ item. Now you don't so it's not. Unless you need Zir mats. So much of the game is based around doing things that have nearly 0% chance to drop what you can use so you can get summoning/enchanting mats for things that actually give you useful things. Basically anything that's not a summoned boss or level 100+ NMD/Vault is going to give you garbage.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Maybe it’s because I don’t like the season, but this season feels way grindier than last season, I feel like they toned drops down but I could be wrong.

Everything feels like it’s designed to take 20% longer than it needs to.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

bamhand posted:

Before, world boss was worth doing because you'd get a guaranteed 900+ item. Now you don't so it's not. Unless you need Zir mats. So much of the game is based around doing things that have nearly 0% chance to drop what you can use so you can get summoning/enchanting mats for things that actually give you useful things. Basically anything that's not a summoned boss or level 100+ NMD/Vault is going to give you garbage.

World Bosses are still worth doing, you just need to be level 90+ first that's all (lmao)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

World Bosses are still worth doing, you just need to be level 90+ first that's all (lmao)

Nah it's faster to just do NMD than hope for a measly world boss drop.

Lord Packinham posted:

Maybe it’s because I don’t like the season, but this season feels way grindier than last season, I feel like they toned drops down but I could be wrong.

Did you play Sorc last season? I found this season to take longer because I couldn't trivialize content immediately.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

If you are at level 90+, then World Bosses have the same (or from what I can tell, pretty close to) the same drops as they did in Season 2.
Unless you are saying by the time you are that high level, it's easier to just blast high level NMDs/Vaults, in which case yeah that's probably true.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Player Level 71-80: 815 - 905 - ((In comparison, at player level 75, standard enemies in WT4 will drop gear from 780 to 855)
Player Level 81-90: 845 - 925
Player Level 91-100: 890 - 925

Plus five whispers, Zir Blood, & maybe one of those debtor guys that drops a malignant heart. Not bad for sub-60 seconds of work!

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 29, 2024

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's like 3 minutes if you time it reasonably well with travel time, waiting, etc. A vault is going to give you that much loot from a single elite pack. The summoning mats are the only reason to do it.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

This season is more grindy and it's intentional. Boss ladders, Loot curve, etc., all by design. Since leveling and gearing is the entire game it makes sense business wise to make it take longer

The fun gets patched in later after enormous backlash

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
... and the Whispers, and the loot, and the season journey steps etc

I'm not gonna come to your house and force you to do them, but they are exceptionally rewarding, in particular for how quickly you reap the rewards!

Agreed that nightmare vaults are very rewarding too, although the IP of your loot will be lower compared to world boss lewtz

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hit Man posted:

This season is more grindy and it's intentional. Boss ladders, Loot curve, etc., all by design. Since leveling and gearing is the entire game it makes sense business wise to make it take longer

Why is it taking you longer to level this season? What are you doing differently? I guarantee you that we can fix your problem and get you leveling far faster

Although frankly if it feels like they need to patch the fun in, why not just like... walk away? Altus Effouricus

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Quick console vs pc question: how easy are people finding it to dodge traps with the different control systems?

It made so much sense finding out PC players are almost playing a different game when I found out you lot can actually click on parts of the screen to target powers rather than just flinging it in a general direction like we have to.

I haven't played this season, but just seeing that post about the barbarian trying to avoid the traps, just made me wonder.
Man idk about traps, but Uber Lilith and her hitbox mazes, I sure wish I was on a controller

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

On the topic of itemization, for me the main thing is I don't get excited or that "oh poo poo!" feeling for any of the legendaries or uniques that regularly drop. Maybe it's old age but that classic D2 feel when it comes to bad rear end loot just isn't there.

I would get that feeling for some of the Uber uniques but gently caress that noise. I got a Doombringer last season after hundreds of Duriel runs. Like hell am I going to do that this season.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why is it taking you longer to level this season? What are you doing differently? I guarantee you that we can fix your problem and get you leveling far faster

Although frankly if it feels like they need to patch the fun in, why not just like... walk away? Altus Effouricus

Man I don't know if you can comprehend anything without getting offended that someone could be talking bad about Diablo 4, to which you'll rush to the defense of.

But here goes, If the gear that's dropping is lower level. You're not going to hit as hard and kill as fast as last season. Therefore not level up as fast.

That might be a hard concept to take so let it sink it a little before you tell me to quit and not play.

Obviously post patch which they rushed out due to enormous backlash (to which they said they would only bug fix in the middle of the season and balance patch at the end) the game is more fun. It was a patch that made the game more fun for various reasons already stated. A fun patch if you will

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

... and the Whispers, and the loot, and the season journey steps etc

I'm not gonna come to your house and force you to do them, but they are exceptionally rewarding, in particular for how quickly you reap the rewards!

Agreed that nightmare vaults are very rewarding too, although the IP of your loot will be lower compared to world boss lewtz

I feel like we're playing different games or something. A level 60 vault gives me a bag and a half of loot that's same quality as a world boss where my character level is 90. The former is like 12 minutes and the latter is 5 with waiting around to make sure I don't miss the spawn.

Also I literally have not seen anything useful come out of a whisper cache past level 50.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Bisse posted:

Man idk about traps, but Uber Lilith and her hitbox mazes, I sure wish I was on a controller

Doesn't this go away quite a bit now that WASD controls are in?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I just watched a barb one shot a world boss. He said it was a 500mil hit in chat.

I should play the op build one of these seasons so I can get an uber lilith kill.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

New Blizzard president. Hope she turns the game (and company) around. She seems to be a heavy D4 player.

https://x.com/Joh_Burg/status/1752037469527388198?s=20

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

being tied to modern CoD and the NFL is not inspiring me with confidence

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

i haven't seen another instance of the barb charge aspect in like loving 40 levels, I'm 80 and still have a regular rear end amulet and the rest of my gear is ancestral/unique :(

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Hit Man posted:

Are you actually playing this season or are you just making statements based on what you’ve read? You previously made multiple disparaging comments about how you wouldn’t be playing this season so you can see why I’m confused.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Becuase the vampire powers were strong as hell right from the get go?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lord Packinham posted:

Season two had the chests in the vampire zones to give you a million yellows and the vampire boss event to rain legendaries. The loot from the vaults and tremors is good but it doesn't compare really

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

That one Vampire power that auto damaged everything on screen for a % of your Max HP was so stupid while leveling, that I actually turned it off because it just made the game too easy and boring.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hit Man posted:

Man I don't know if you can comprehend anything without getting offended that someone could be talking bad about Diablo 4, to which you'll rush to the defense of.

But here goes, If the gear that's dropping is lower level. You're not going to hit as hard and kill as fast as last season. Therefore not level up as fast.

That might be a hard concept to take so let it sink it a little before you tell me to quit and not play.

Obviously post patch which they rushed out due to enormous backlash (to which they said they would only bug fix in the middle of the season and balance patch at the end) the game is more fun. It was a patch that made the game more fun for various reasons already stated. A fun patch if you will

Aw buddy I'm not trying to Defend Game, I'm trying to Help Guy With Problem. It sounds like it's taking you longer to level up this season, and that you're frustrated by this. Some of the reward structures have shifted around, and you might be spinning your wheels on high effort/low reward stuff while others are zooming straight to WT4 on the XP XPress. Toot toot, all aboard! (It's also possible you're looking to vent and not solutions-oriented at this time which is totally cool too.)

bamhand posted:

A level 60 vault gives me a bag and a half of loot that's same quality as a world boss where my character level is 90.

That makes sense! I was talking about freshly-into-WT4 characters whereas your guy is 90 and killing enemies in Tier 60 NMs. They reworked NMD/NMV loot this season so the IP is higher when the dungeon is higher (they always worked this way, but they just really magnified the effect). There's a huge benefit to doing world bosses when you've just made it to a new world tier, and that benefit gradually shrinks as you get more powerful. Examples -

Tier 46 NMD
Legendaries: 845-925
Rares: 810-925

Tier 71 NMD
Legendaries: 910-925
Rares: 885-925

At player level 91, all loot from World Bosses will be 890-925.

The difference is much more noticeable for a guy at player level 70 who can get world boss loot at 35 to 50 points higher than what will drop from a Tier 21 NMD

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

MrMidnight posted:

On the topic of itemization, for me the main thing is I don't get excited or that "oh poo poo!" feeling for any of the legendaries or uniques that regularly drop. Maybe it's old age but that classic D2 feel when it comes to bad rear end loot just isn't there.

I would get that feeling for some of the Uber uniques but gently caress that noise. I got a Doombringer last season after hundreds of Duriel runs. Like hell am I going to do that this season.
It's not age, it's actually just less exciting drops. Sets are gone. Legendaries are not better than rares as they are basically the same item and you'll be salvaging or swapping the legendary anyway. Unique's aren't that interesting after a while. Enemies drop showers of loot that is all autojunk so instead of yaay exciting drops you get yaay some extra work to do.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

That one Vampire power that auto damaged everything on screen for a % of your Max HP was so stupid while leveling, that I actually turned it off because it just made the game too easy and boring.
Hemomancy, would gently caress me up repeatedly, because I relied on counting hits to trigger my overpowers, and hemomancy would kill the target in the microsecond between when my swing starts and when it lands, making it look like I hit but not rewarding me for the hit thus loving up my count. I had it on for fast levelling and turned it off in AoZ.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

American McGay posted:

Are you actually playing this season or are you just making statements based on what you’ve read? You previously made multiple disparaging comments about how you wouldn’t be playing this season so you can see why I’m confused.

I am playing post patch. The game is definitely better after and running Vaults is fine now when you can ignore everything.

D4 can be fun while still pointing out the faults. It's ok to do so

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

i haven't seen another instance of the barb charge aspect in like loving 40 levels, I'm 80 and still have a regular rear end amulet and the rest of my gear is ancestral/unique :(

According to this site https://diablo4.life/tools/gambling

Your best bet is to gamble on 1H Weapons. That's what I've been doing and have a couple stocked away.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's the hot tip for power leveling and gearing?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

poop chute posted:

What's the hot tip for power leveling and gearing?

Do the seasonal quest line, get groups of people to spam the arcane rifts and summons, and do nightmare dungeons.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Whispers give a shitload of xp even into the 50s. The loot falls off but the xp is good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Paying2Lurk posted:

Whispers give a shitload of xp even into the 50s. The loot falls off but the xp is good.

And you can double dip by spamming the arcane fissures because you can get 3 whispers for killing constructs, 5 for killing the summon, and 3 for collecting the cores.

Turn them in and rinse and repeat spamming the arcane fissures.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Well. Rinse, wait an hour or so, repeat

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Tier 90 plus vaults dropping pure 925 gear is really interesting. I can clear them reliably now with my druid and it's made it so utterly clear that doing anything else is a complete waste of time.

When you trash 8 full inventories of 925 gear after a few runs just looking for 3/4 decent stats to upgrade a 830 neck I've had since I first got to WT4 it's somewhat maddening.

I blew all my boss mats last night for a couple of duriel kills, cleared the season journey up to the last tier where it says kill duriel 3 more times and just went...nah. I'm good.

Still the same base issue of fun core content followed by inventory management and carefully looking at each slot when I'd much rather be smashing demons.

It's nice not having another axis to look at with ilvl, but nuts how the rng is so wild you still barely see anything. I'm 15 90 plus clears without a single upgrade.

I did get 3 of the same uniquw necklaces that make me able to make a druid hammer boulderdin tho...so that's next up to try!

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Ya I totally agree. Once you start getting to lvl 75-80+ it becomes really annoying trying to find upgrades. Having to go through your whole inventory hoping for certain modifiers you need is really unfun. I am looking forward to the itemization changes that will be coming in season 4.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

jesus christ the jump from T3 to T4 is not loving around. I went from one shotting everything except bosses to dying before I even realized what happened.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh yeah, T3 > T4 is going from "I'm trashing everything, maybe I should go up a tier" to "I'm a tiny baby, maybe I should hide in Kyovoshad and live as an NPC."

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh yeah, T3 > T4 is going from "I'm trashing everything, maybe I should go up a tier" to "I'm a tiny baby, maybe I should hide in Kyovoshad and live as an NPC. ride coattails through a few Legions and World Bosses to get Ancestral gear, then laugh all the way to the bank".
Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Coincidentally I decided the best course of action was to kill what I could in helltides while staying close to other people and beelining for drops and 75 shard chests. Piecemealing together some better gear and I think the 1000 dps increase on the 2 handed mace that just dropped is gonna play in my favor.