Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

loquacius posted:

Sick and feeling like poo poo but stayed awake long enough to finish the Eaters chapter of Consider Phlebas because I really wanted that part to be over

I gotta read a Discworld book concurrently with this one or something I think

Consider Phlebas rules. Temple of loving light. Even Culture lovers don't like it sometimes and guess what? They're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fleetwood posted:

I'm watching 2010 and part of the plot is that the US and Soviets are headed toward nuclear war, and there's a USN blockade of Honduras

i think 2061 would make a good movie, obviously cant be as good as the goat (2001) but still could be good

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Trabisnikof posted:

i think 2061 would make a good movie, obviously cant be as good as the goat (2001) but still could be good

whoa I didn't know this existed. I read The Sentinel a long time ago and that was it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fleetwood posted:

whoa I didn't know this existed. I read The Sentinel a long time ago and that was it

there's even a 3001, which has a lot of cool ideas (dino gardeners, low grav sports) but mainly ends up being about a very very old man getting laid.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

which is the one where they find the guy from 2001's frozen corpse and revive him? that was was cool when i read it like 20 years ago.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

which is the one where they find the guy from 2001's frozen corpse and revive him? that was was cool when i read it like 20 years ago.

that's 3001 and yeah it is pretty cool

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

there's even a 3001, which has a lot of cool ideas (dino gardeners, low grav sports) but mainly ends up being about a very very old man getting laid.

huh i didn't know OSC took over the series

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Trabisnikof posted:

dudes rock

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fellatio del Toro posted:

also late on the finishing succession train, great show, had no idea there was some sort of Connor/Willa controversy lol

if you liked the succession ost the composer also did the phenomenal score for another great little show called andor
Andor has such a good score

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

that's 3001 and yeah it is pretty cool

My favorite part of 3001 is where Frank finally hooks up with a future lady and she freaks out because she's never seen a circumcised dick before

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

rogue one sucked rear end and everyone involved in making cgi peter cushing should be in jail

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

it's cool if they use dead actors in new stuff but it should always have to be livia soprano in season 3-level bad cgi and not just because of the limitations of technology

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

loquacius posted:

Sick and feeling like poo poo but stayed awake long enough to finish the Eaters chapter of Consider Phlebas because I really wanted that part to be over

that whole bit seems like it was airlifted in from another manuscript

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tighclops posted:

My favorite part of 3001 is where Frank finally hooks up with a future lady and she freaks out because she's never seen a circumcised dick before

this is literally the only thing I remember about 3001 and I've thought about it every 3-4 months since I read it two decades ago

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i say swears online posted:

someone I used to work with just had a baby and named it Keanu

the irs?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUD8JzRc5k4

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

drat. it's already on my Plex server but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch a modern star wars work since I bailed 1/3 of the way into Rogue One.

not only was Nicholas britell the composer, but the showrunner Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton et al) and him hung out in New York over covid just working out exactly how the score would work into the show. it's excruciatingly well scored

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Britell did The Underground Railroad as well. He's a good composer.

will stancil
Dec 12, 2023

I forget, are you the CATO wife guy? cause focusing on those two would be so much funnier if you were

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

loquacius posted:

consider phlebas gets very fun hang in there

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

I've seen this. It's alright and pretty funny, though I'm not sure if the absurd premise is enough to carry a full movie.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I know maybe six composers by name, and two of of them are daft punk. Two more are Williams and Zimmer because those two are so famous, and finally are the two HBO guys Nicolas Bitell, and Ramin Djawadi

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the only composer you need to know is Goblin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVuLGRfc9gI

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Suspiria theme is probably the most load-bearing piece of music in any film. It accounts for like 40% of the film's atmosphere.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Angelo Badalamenti’s work for twin peaks is enough to make him one of the greats

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

will stancil posted:

I forget, are you the CATO wife guy? cause focusing on those two would be so much funnier if you were

Uh

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

i say swears online posted:

someone I used to work with just had a baby and named it Keanu

Cool dad

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

will stancil posted:

Don't be weird

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I haven't read anything yet, but Team Megan

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Megan all the way, obviously

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Megan all thee way, obviously

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

drat. it's already on my Plex server but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch a modern star wars work since I bailed 1/3 of the way into Rogue One.

Andor is great because it doesnt have any jedi. Somehow space monks with laser swords make stories worse, which is very confusing statement but evidence backs it up

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

RandolphCarter posted:

Angelo Badalamenti’s work for twin peaks is enough to make him one of the greats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-eqgr_gn4k

rip to a great one

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nix Panicus posted:

Andor is great because it doesnt have any jedi. Somehow space monks with laser swords make stories worse, which is very confusing statement but evidence backs it up

Yet. Feels like they were threatening to do something there a few times (and probably would have if they didn't ditch the five season plan).

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Taylor Slow

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Nonsense posted:

Taylor Slow

This but French

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Taylor Swift Justice could be a good premise for one of those crappy kids books people do to worship their favorite celebs

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Taylor Swift on security

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

that whole bit seems like it was airlifted in from another manuscript

I hadn't thought of it in those terms (was more concerned with how intensely gross and unpleasant it was), but yeah, you're right. It kind of reads like Banks had written this short story about a hosed-up cult and wanted to include it in his space opera regardless of whether it really fit. It even both starts and ends with Horza aboard a shuttle which he would need to seize control of to use it to escape, so (*gen Z voice*) it doesn't move the narrative forward. Could have easily been snipped right out. It's not like this is a short book or anything.

When Mr. First did his little monologue about "there are those who eat and those who are eaten, guess which one you are hoo hoo hoo" I did a huge eyeroll. This man is second-banana of a community of like forty or fifty people, with absolutely no influence or notoriety beyond his dumb little island, which is scheduled to be exploded in two days by people with infinitely more power than he has. He eats nothing but literal poo poo and fish guts and is slowly dying of malnutrition because a crazy monster man told him to live that way for no discernible reason. He was not born to this cult, which is implied to be only a few months old, meaning he chose this situation voluntarily. He is the biggest failure of a social Darwinist I have ever seen, and I've seen Little Miss Sunshine. It doesn't even work as metaphor because the main characteristic of the Eaters is not eating what they want to eat, because a bigger and stronger person ordered them not to!

Smythe posted:

consider phlebas gets very fun hang in there

Yeah most of the book has been pretty good so far, if a bit too heavily focused on execution methods involving poo poo (its_weird_that_it_happened_twice.png), and I had started to enjoy the misadventures of the galaxy's stupidest pirate gang, I just did not enjoy the Eaters side-plot. Happy to get back to the space-opera parts; I think this book was written before Banks realized that stuff was what he was good at. Still quite glad I started with later books.

loquacius has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

indigi posted:

west Anderson sucks

Did someone make a Wes Blanderson joke yet, they should have