Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I did not see that coming, at all. These allegations must be the kind of thing that he can't make go away.

Yeah, they're pretty bad. Even some of the hardcore WWE people I know want TKO to just clean house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I did not see that coming, at all. These allegations must be the kind of thing that he can't make go away.

The allegations are, if even 10% are true, are absolutely horrific.

:nms: :nms: :nms:
WSJ article: https://www.wsj.com/business/vince-mcmahon-accused-of-sex-trafficking-by-wwe-staffer-he-paid-to-keep-quiet-0b19b21c
(archive.org backup)

Criminal complaint: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ctd.157647/gov.uscourts.ctd.157647.1.0.pdf

e: to be extra clear i believe pretty much every word

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 27, 2024

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It looks like he's out for good, he was only able to wrench his way back in the first time by being majority shareholder and that's no longer the case.

It's unlikely he'll do jail time, civil lawsuits can take years, and when he dies he'll die a millionaire, but at the very least he's finally lost control of the media empire he's spent his entire life building. Cold comfort.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

That's simply brutal, jesus christ

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Annath posted:

Personally I think they should have gone with "publicly available" evidence.

:lol:

One thing that kinda got me about the last episode in the series on the Finders was Jamie thinking that the computer training stuff they did for the CIA was suspicious. And like, I understand how it can see that way on first blush. But as someone who used to be based around DC with a company that did a lot of consulting for various federal agencies, I think the whole thing was actually pretty normal. Like, the feds were so starved for computer people over the last few decades that they literally changed the political trajectory of the entire state of Virginia because of all the jobs that were opened for people who could do computer-related consulting work (causing Northern Virginia to get flooded with tech-savvy workers who were more liberal and eventually turned the state blue).

Like, the only weird thing I could see is that anyone doing computer consulting for the CIA would probably need some level of clearance to do the work. But that's also a pretty standard thing in the area, too. I've been a reference for a friend who needed to get Secret clearance to get a DBA job for some company that did consulting for the government. Maybe being in a weird cult would be enough to prevent some people from getting clearances and strings were pulled to keep that from happening, or maybe some of the members who were doing the work were folks who already had their clearance from previous jobs (or maybe in the 70s and 80s the restrictions around consultants needing clearance were a lot looser).

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Froghammer posted:

It looks like he's out for good, he was only able to wrench his way back in the first time by being majority shareholder and that's no longer the case.

It's unlikely he'll do jail time, civil lawsuits can take years, and when he dies he'll die a millionaire, but at the very least he's finally lost control of the media empire he's spent his entire life building. Cold comfort.

if Robert does any follow-up eps on Vince, I reeeeally hope he gets different guests who understand wrestling and Vince’s history and takes a backseat to let the host cover Vince’s misdeeds. the whole series he did on Vince wildly missed the mark and didn’t even mention poo poo from the past 20 years or glossed over other things. honestly incredibly disappointed after looking forward to the series and his take on Vince/WWE and how many eps were dedicated to that.

Vince killed a wrestler by cheaping out on a harness, leading to the wrestler (Owen Hart, who was universally beloved) falling like, 80 feet to his death. his fall broke the ring and Vince proceeded to continue the whole show, forcing Owen’s friends to preform in said broken ring that was still covered in Owen’s blood.

also the whole “Chris Benoit murders his family and kills himself” deal, covering up ongoing sexual abuse of trainees (and then *rehiring* the abuser), setting up a massive deal to run shows in Saudi Arabia, covering up the assault that wrestler Ashley Massaro suffered during a show for the US military (she eventually took her own life)… there’s so much more there that he just didn’t bother with.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
In today's AI episode, when they were covering that Rabbit gizmo, Robert offhandedly commented that using an AI assistant to do anything that involves internet searching is probably going to result in it getting info from a webpage that was also written by an AI. Jesus, this is all barreling towards a horrible human centipede (AI centipede?) of trash-tier regurgitated content, isn't it?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zugzwang posted:

In today's AI episode, when they were covering that Rabbit gizmo, Robert offhandedly commented that using an AI assistant to do anything that involves internet searching is probably going to result in it getting info from a webpage that was also written by an AI. Jesus, this is all barreling towards a horrible human centipede (AI centipede?) of trash-tier regurgitated content, isn't it?

Supposedly, you can already start to see the fun* of that with AI artbots getting fed generated art into their datasets.

Really, it's... depressingly impressive just how rapidly google images became borderline worthless as soon as they started bumping up AI stuff in the rankings.

*may not actually be fun

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If you want a picture of the future, imagine fractal dick nipples, making GBS threads on a human face - for ever.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Prop you're probably a great hang but you're also really insufferable

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Prop you're probably a great hang but you're also really insufferable

FTFY

He's, by far, the worst guest, at least of the episodes I recall.

Maybe there's a worse one off.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Hard disagree, Prop is great (generally, haven't listened to the new episode yet)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Prop is really enjoyable to listen to

Prop adds absofuckinglutely nothing to any episode of behind the bastards I have ever heard him on

These are both true at the same time

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
To each their own.

I find both how he talks and what he has to say boring and simultaneously really annoying.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The anecdote about the kid who was usually 15 minutes late to class and clearly dealing with some poo poo was an interesting bit of texture for the episode. And the way they were cracking each other up about Light-Horse Harry being such a deadbeat was pretty funny.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
I like him fine. The woman that did Jon McAfee was the worst by a mile

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
BTB has always had kind of a "guest waiting for their moment to be funny/interesting" problem but that's the nature of the format

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

BTB has always had kind of a "guest waiting for their moment to be funny/interesting" problem but that's the nature of the format

I suspect that this is strongly due to the fact that Robert has to recalibrate to the guest every time, as opposed to Dan and Jordan of knowledge fight or Dave and Gareth of the dollop having a static reactor as the second host

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Eh, Jamie Loftus is almost always great, and never terrible. The same can't be said for some other guests, even ones who have been on multiple times.

Whatever happened to the hilarious hillbilly guy? Billy something? I don't remember his name but he and Robert had a great back and forth.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Annath posted:

Eh, Jamie Loftus is almost always great, and never terrible. The same can't be said for some other guests, even ones who have been on multiple times.

Whatever happened to the hilarious hillbilly guy? Billy something? I don't remember his name but he and Robert had a great back and forth.

Billy Wayne Davis? Unofficial blacklist by the parent company BTB is on, because he complained about them not paying their guests on social media.

They pay their guests these days, although it's a pretty nominal from what I hear.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Warden posted:

Billy Wayne Davis? Unofficial blacklist by the parent company BTB is on, because he complained about them not paying their guests on social media.

They pay their guests these days, although it's a pretty nominal from what I hear.

Oh man, that's too bad.

Pretty lame they weren't paying their guests anything - it's work after all - but probably not the best idea to bring it public unless it's a much bigger issue.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Welp, the episodes on [REDACTED] are gone. I was only through the first one, but I am sure I can find a link on reddit sooner or later.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Warden posted:

Didn't he have some ridiculous Twitter meltdown that showed he's very much not the cool nice dude people thought he was

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Annath posted:

To each their own.

I find both how he talks and what he has to say boring and simultaneously really annoying.

He can have his moments but I really, really do not like how often he has a the start of a thought and then lays down conversational suppressing fire to keep things pinned in place until he can finish that thought. I don’t mind tangents but his get long and repetitive because he’ll just tread the same few things so that Robert can’t move the topic forward.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Zugzwang posted:

Didn't he have some ridiculous Twitter meltdown that showed he's very much not the cool nice dude people thought he was

not exactly, he got into a fight on twitter about the fact that he didn't put alt text in a tour listing he posted. It didn't exactly reflect well on him at all but I personally found the reaction understandable because from what I saw of it, few if any people actually asked him for it, a lot of that was coming from people who only post about alt text (and those specific accounts are like the single non-evil harmless group of posters there that I find the most obnoxious), and if anyone thought to point him at one of those bots that will just extract all the text from an image to post it there, I never saw it.

so like i get it, but he still came out of it acting like kind of a dick. But I would not personally lose much if any sleep over it. Unless there's something else that happened that I don't know about.

Annath posted:

Eh, Jamie Loftus is almost always great, and never terrible.

idk, I do know people who really dislike her though I never found out why. I find her a really neutral presence personally; she rarely adds any perspective to the story that I find interesting so mostly what I get out of her is some mildly funny back-and-forth with Sophie and the odd one-liner. She is on my favourite episode though so w/e I guess.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

neongrey posted:

idk, I do know people who really dislike her though I never found out why. I find her a really neutral presence personally; she rarely adds any perspective to the story that I find interesting so mostly what I get out of her is some mildly funny back-and-forth with Sophie and the odd one-liner. She is on my favourite episode though so w/e I guess.

I don't know anything about her other than what she's like on BTB, so if people dislike her comedy or something I've got no idea.

I stay far away from Twitter/X, so I see none of that toxic bullshit.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

swickles posted:

Welp, the episodes on [REDACTED] are gone. I was only through the first one, but I am sure I can find a link on reddit sooner or later.

Boy they called that shot in the episode I heard.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Boy they called that shot in the episode I heard.

Yeah - Robert joked multiple times throughout the episodes about how long they'll be able to keep them up.

And I can't think of any guests I actively don't like. Most are inoffensive at worst to me :shrug:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

Billy was the best

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

swickles posted:

Here for anyone looking for them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/behindthebastards/comments/1ar4hg4/are_the_episodes_on_unnamed_in_title_mercenary/

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
I'm just not a fan of episodes where the guest is either the worlds most sheltered child of privilege type dipshit that has never looked at a history book, or is disengaged to the level of seeming to be watching a TV show while on the podcast.

"Wait, Hitler you said his name was? Never heard of 'em. Is he the guy that made harmonicas? He did WHAT?!"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ardemia posted:

I'm just not a fan of episodes where the guest is either the worlds most sheltered child of privilege type dipshit that has never looked at a history book, or is disengaged to the level of seeming to be watching a TV show while on the podcast.

"Wait, Hitler you said his name was? Never heard of 'em. Is he the guy that made harmonicas? He did WHAT?!"

Those are far better than anything involving Mia Wong.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Prop had some really good moments this episode: “Respectfully, you’re the loving devil” was a highlight. I was kinda waiting for some kind of wrap up to the story about doing a book report on Nat Turner in the almost-all-white middle school, but the anecdote kinda petered out.

Also, when he mentioned his mom being from DC I was hoping there would be some more talk (from him or Robert) about just how close all these early civil war spots were to each other. That was the thing that really struck me when I lived there. Like, the Lee land in Arlington was literally right across the river from DC. Hell, his house was less than 2.5 miles from the White House. Harper’s Ferry is barely 55 miles away. (Meanwhile, Brownsville, TX might as well have been another planet given how far it was.)

So yeah, I’d say he’s been a pretty good guest so far. Looking forward to this series continuing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

And I can't think of any guests I actively don't like. Most are inoffensive at worst to me :shrug:

I will fully admit I couldn't stand early Garrison's stutter BUT they've gotten so much better! I don't listen to IKHH, so didn't realize how much they had improved until they were on recently.

Also the Jamie Loftus Bitcoin episodes is...ooofffffff.....reeeal bad. She was extremely drunk and the whole thing is very awkward. I normally really like her as a guest and was happy how much better she seemed on her latest episode.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snuffman posted:

Also the Jamie Loftus Bitcoin episodes is...ooofffffff.....reeeal bad. She was extremely drunk and the whole thing is very awkward. I normally really like her as a guest and was happy how much better she seemed on her latest episode.

The crypto episode where the guest could be charitably described as “drunk out of their goddamn mind” was Sofiya Alexendra, not Jamie Loftus.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I grew up in Fredericksburg VA, so I couldn't take two steps without tripping over a Revolutionary/Civil War era site.

I also attended Robert E. Lee Elementary school, so...

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm somehow related to the Lee family from back in the 1800s and let me tell you how loving annoying it is to have my dumbass family pretend he was not a complete bastard.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The crypto episode where the guest could be charitably described as “drunk out of their goddamn mind” was Sofiya Alexendra, not Jamie Loftus.

that said now that I look up what episodes Jamie was on I remember being really disappointed by the blavatsky episodes that I had been really looking forward to, and I kinda sorta remember the problem with those being her

but it's been a long time and I don't recall how or what my specific issues were so :shrug:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think it comes down to her just being a very neutral presence. I don’t think I’ve ever had a “please shut the gently caress up” moment on an episode she’s been on but it’s also pretty rare that she brings anything to the episode. Sometimes it’s fine (Kaiser Wilhelm) because the subject is something complex enough and with enough detail you don’t really need it. Sometimes the subject needs a bit more out of the guest and when it does she doesn’t really bring it.

That said, not thinking “please shut the gently caress up” ten times in an episode is a strong improvement over a lot of the guests they’ve been leaning on since switching to Zoom so I’ll take it. I miss back when they were more likely to have one off guests because having to get them to the studio meant a lot more scheduling conflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
What’s weird is that it wasn’t that I didn’t think the lead of Simply Red was white, it’s that he’s English.

This is my only real bone to pick with the episode.