Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Jerusalem posted:

Sounds like something to hold off on then!

Right... time to delve back into Dark Bramble... :gonk:

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alright, I found Escape Pod 3!

:negative:

Poor bastards, managed to make my way to the Vessel too, haven't figured out the three panel input device yet, I obviously have to make some kind of pattern with each side but I'll need to hunt around to figure out what those should be. I was also initially confused by the messages I found there and thought that the universe dying had been happening before the Nomai even arrived in the solar system. But after talking to poor Chert and giving him a nervous breakdown, I grasped that I was actually picking up real-time current day Nomai messages from other systems/galaxies so my theory that the Nomai hunting the Eye of the Universe inadvertently caused the rapid aging of the universe still shakily stands together on flimsy evidence!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OH poo poo SOLANUM'S ALIVE! :supaburn:

Well.. not really, more Schrodinger's Solanum, simultaneously alive and dead, but that was a hell of a conversation! They got so close to the Eye, I wish we'd been able to communicate clearly enough to tell them that I'd found the coordinates :shobon:

Also after about a dozen attempts I managed to land my ship on the Sun Station only for a comedy of errors to see me end up with the scout taking up the entire cockpit view as I got slammed around inside the ship which finally drifted off the station by the time I managed to get control of myself :doh:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Let the reveals begin. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Okay crazy theory time, since I've just explored the Interloper properly (thanks for not laughing at me when you probably all knew that all I had to do was look very slightly up :sweatdrop:):

- The Ghost Matter is so tightly packed into the crystal formation inside the Interloper that if it explodes it would spread throughout the entire system.
- The Dark Bramble destroys planets from the inside out if it's seeds gets enough of a foothold to germinate, and it is bigger on the inside than the outside.

Therefore, there MUST be a way to get the Ghost Matter and Dark Bramble to interact so that the latter destroys the crystal formation, and the subsequent explosive release of gas would wipe out the Dark Bramble BUT also be contained within it, saving the solar system from both threats!

The ship's log doesn't offer any kind of link between them but I feel like there must be something going on there, looking forward to being wrong!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Jerusalem posted:

Okay crazy theory time:

I think the best part about Outer Wilds is that this is a very plausible interpretation of the facts you've been presented and, right or wrong, you're going to have a blast trying to figure out how to make it work.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Man, Solanum is such an amazing moment. Like if you told the average starting player that they'll get to talk to an alien at some point, they'd probably shrug - but when you get there it's just incredible.

Speaking of the ship's log, how's it going? Any major gaps?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Okay crazy theory time, since I've just explored the Interloper properly (thanks for not laughing at me when you probably all knew that all I had to do was look very slightly up :sweatdrop:):

- The Ghost Matter is so tightly packed into the crystal formation inside the Interloper that if it explodes it would spread throughout the entire system.

And where have you seen ghost matter?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All too easy :smugbert:

https://i.imgur.com/EBu5fD7.mp4

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So what's your new read on things? I mean I can guess a lot but I'm interested in how it interfaces with your existing thoughts.

4.3% is more than I would have expected! I kinda wish they'd put in a tracking metric of how many people physically landed on the sun station as their first way of reaching it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 31, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MikeJF posted:

So what's your new read on things? I mean I can guess a lot but I'm interested in how it interfaces with your existing thoughts.

In the sun station, I was very concerned by "Well the supernova plan didn't work... let's go check out this comet!" but I'll need to review my logs to figure out if the people I found dead there were the ones from the sun station or not - it's kinda fun revisiting places and realizing that the events I read up on earlier are associated with names that have cropped up elsewhere, sometimes giving away deaths and survivals before I realized the association and context. I also now know that the station hasn't been touched in over 200,000 years so that is presumably when the Nomai got wiped out, and I'm starting to suspect it was the Ghost Matter since I've found signs of that in the Hanging City - that wouldn't explain why the Hearthians are still alive though, presumably their less evolved forms back then would have been killed too? I also still don't know what it was that triggered that initial(?) supernova at the start of the game, since their first attempt to fire it didn't work, perhaps it just needed time for the reaction to build up? My big concern is that the Nomai dumped Ghost Matter into the Black Hole forge or even the sun to try and generate power

Based on my log, I think I still have a couple things unresolved in the Sunless City, which is a pain because I've got to move there so quickly before the sand cuts access off. I want to clear that, then run through everything I've gathered and figure out what to do next and also identify potential gaps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a pretty obscure bit of info, but (you can probably read this, it's just advice on a place to go back to) I'd go chat to Riebeck about what you found in the comet, there's nothing critical but some things they say might clarify

Everyone else but not you Jerusalem do you think it's okay to say 'maybe go back to the sun station and double-check everything', they either didn't see or didn't absorb the 'Star has reached end of natural life cycle' readout

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 31, 2024

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

MikeJF posted:

Everyone else but not you Jerusalem do you think it's okay to say 'maybe go back to the sun station and double-check everything', they either didn't see or didn't absorb the 'Star has reached end of natural life cycle' readout

I think saying 'double check your ship log, or make sure to fill in any "there's more to find here" 'is ok

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

MikeJF posted:

It's a pretty obscure bit of info, but (you can probably read this, it's just advice on a place to go back to) I'd go chat to Riebeck about what you found in the comet, there's nothing critical but some things they say might clarify
Even more generally, to the point that I am questioning whether to even consider it spoiler-worthy, the amount of NPC dialog that changes or gets added based on events that have occurred in the current loop or based on things that you have learned across loops (generally by some item being added to the log) are way more comprehensive than a normal video game. I didn't really grasp the scope of how much this was occurring until very late in my playthrough. I am used to exhausting an NPC's dialog, and then never talking to them again. By the time I figured out that many of them had more to say, I had already learned about the things they were wondering about or were telling me. I think it would have been better if I could have talked to them about the mysteries I was experiencing before I had the answers.

quote:

I don't think so. He will either go back himself, or he will likely figure it out during the end game sequence.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mazerunner posted:

I think saying 'double check your ship log, or make sure to fill in any "there's more to find here" 'is ok

Yeah. In general the ship's log entries are worth spending a few minutes reviewing in detail every now and then. Although sometimes they spell things out a bit by textually telling you what the designers had assumed you'd interpret things as.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 31, 2024

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There’s a shortcut to the SC - very hard to spot from outside, but next time you’re there, take a look around. It’s sort of near the Gravity Cannon.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 31, 2024

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

MikeJF posted:

I think that they may have seen this and just chalked it up to their "the universe is aging faster" theory. Like, if you don't immediately accept that time is a bit abstract in this game's universe, it's not unreasonable at all to think "a sun doesn't naturally go from normal to red giant to supernova in 20 minutes" and "a species can't evolve from tadpoles to spacefarers in 200,000 years". Those are both true facts IRL and if you apply them to this universe without knowing that you shouldn't, what conclusion can you reach other than that messing about with time travel has accelerated time? If you latch onto that as being a thing connected to the mystery, I'm not sure how you dislodge yourself from that.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, I know in my own playthrough finding the sun station just made me ask “hmm, so what is causing the sun to go supernova”. It wasn’t until I beat the game and started reading other people’s posts that I realized the answer was supposed to be “nothing, it’s a totally natural reaction”

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Reveilled posted:

I think that they may have seen this and just chalked it up to their "the universe is aging faster" theory. Like, if you don't immediately accept that time is a bit abstract in this game's universe, it's not unreasonable at all to think "a sun doesn't naturally go from normal to red giant to supernova in 20 minutes" and "a species can't evolve from tadpoles to spacefarers in 200,000 years". Those are both true facts IRL and if you apply them to this universe without knowing that you shouldn't, what conclusion can you reach other than that messing about with time travel has accelerated time? If you latch onto that as being a thing connected to the mystery, I'm not sure how you dislodge yourself from that.

I love this because it's people flying around an entire solar system that's like tops 10 KM across in minutes going "Things don't happen that quickly!"

And I don't mean that's an unfair assumption to make but it's pretty funny with hindisght.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Kazzah posted:

There’s a shortcut to the Sunless City - very hard to spot from outside, but next time you’re there, take a look around. It’s sort of near the Gravity Cannon.
The game can tell you about this, so I don't think it needs to be posted put in the open.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Eh. I figure it's not really anything about how the world works, it's just a thing that saves people a lot of boring frustration when they're trying to explore one of the densest areas of the game. I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere, but there's a lot of text in the game, and I've seen many people miss its existence entirely.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It's the cool shortcut you get after you solve the challenge. Do you also tell people about the the simulation hacks?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Of course not, that would ruin the game. Telling someone there’s a fast way to get back to a hard-to-reach place they’ve already been, on the other hand, does not ruin the game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah the general recommendation is finish the base game, enjoy the ending, and then pick up your existing save and do the DLC.

I think the better approach is to have it from the getgo and start it around mid game - this lets you take breaks to go solve other mysteries while regularly coming back to it, which is one of the complaints.

But its hard to recommend it to people since by the time they commit to buying it it is usually after that point, and our newest player here is now past thay optimal point.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 31, 2024

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm a few hours in to the game. I feel like I rushed getting to the ship, then spent the first while wandering around not following any threads in particular. So now I have a ship log full of disparate nodes and names I can't remember.

I'm wondering if it's worth starting over and paying more attention and trying to follow one thread before starting another, or should I just pursue as I'm going now?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tea Bone posted:

I'm a few hours in to the game. I feel like I rushed getting to the ship, then spent the first while wandering around not following any threads in particular. So now I have a ship log full of disparate nodes and names I can't remember.

I'm wondering if it's worth starting over and paying more attention and trying to follow one thread before starting another, or should I just pursue as I'm going now?

The only that changes as you play is how much knowledge you have. Start over if you want to replay the tutorial, but otherwise it won't make much of a difference.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Huh... I.... think I've worked out the inputs for the Vessel? But I think I also need to either replace or fix the advanced warp core - the game mentions there is one inside the Ash Twin center which I haven't figured out how to get into yet, but I also think maybe if I take the housing with me to Ember Twin I can "repair" it with the little black and white holes in the High Energy Lab? But that fills up quick, so I'd have to go there first, unlock the front door, then race to Dark Bramble to get the housing, come back and "fix" it, then provided that is actually possible, take it back to the Vessel and see if I can go to the Eye.

I'm writing all this down both to document what may end up being a complete fool's errand, but also because I came up with the idea and was testing whether I could take stuff onto the ship when the power ran out on my headset and I had to stop playing for awhile :cripes:

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Regarding drawing interesting conclusions based on the data you have available:
There was a brief period of my playthrough where I speculated that Feldspar was responsible for everything. He clearly got a little bored after exploring (so far as he was aware) everything he could in the system. He saw most of the places you did, so he plausibly could have translated just enough to get an idea of the existence of the Eye and the Nomai program to locate it. Maybe he tripped the sun station so he could have one last adventure of discovery, maybe even assuming that the time loop would let him prevent everyone dying after he had his fun. In this theory he was linked to the third mask and not revealing it. He's just sitting where he is because he hosed up and can't undo it now.

This theory did not last very long for a variety of obvious in retrospect reasons.

Loving seeing your notes as you go, Jerusalem. Eventually you'll be like every other person in this thread, looking to watch other people go through the game so you can catch some of the vicarious high of initial discovery and realization.

Lemony fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 31, 2024

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Jerusalem posted:

All too easy :smugbert:

Ah, an individual of class and intelligence who took the objectively correct path.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

blastron posted:

Ah, an individual of class and intelligence who took the objectively correct path.

I wonder how many of those people were even aware there was another path when they did it. I certainly didn't think it was possible to get past those cactuses until much later

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

haveblue posted:

I wonder how many of those people were even aware there was another path when they did it. I certainly didn't think it was possible to get past those cactuses until much later

(Jerusalem, don’t read this, it’s about a discoverable game mechanic)

I wonder if they’ve completely missed the teleportation pads? Those are one of the things that are very hard to figure out on your own, and the White Hole Station is the only place that explicitly teaches you about it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

blastron posted:

(Jerusalem, don’t read this, it’s about a discoverable game mechanic)

I wonder if they’ve completely missed the teleportation pads? Those are one of the things that are very hard to figure out on your own, and the White Hole Station is the only place that explicitly teaches you about it.

I assume almost all players eventually gently caress up and fall into the black hole of Brittle Hollow, so most players should be exposed to it, even by accident

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is getting sucked into the black hole ten times more terrifying in VR?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Is getting sucked into the black hole ten times more terrifying in VR?

I've got about an hour before the edible kicks in, I'll try this before and after :D

(this may be an extremely bad idea)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hmmmm, while you're at it, how does VR handle you destroying the fabric of space-time?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MikeJF posted:

Hmmmm, while you're at it, how does VR handle you destroying the fabric of space-time?
oh god i would freak the gently caress out if my first experience with that was in VR :stonk: the audiovisual effect still gives me the willies when I see it in youtube playthroughs, even

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
I played the main game flat-screen when it came out, but did my playthrough of the DLC recently in VR as well.

If we're talking things things that would be nuts to experience in VR, (DLC spoilers) imagine independently discovering the dreamworld lamp radius trick without the clues lol. I had found the tunnel to the party house, and had this whole untested idea that if I didn't have my lamp, they couldn't blow it out and I could stay in the dreamworld. So I put it down before I entered a tunnel, walked blindly through this pitch-dark tunnel then all of a sudden I'm loving Neo with True-Sight.

Thankfully learning this early didn't spoil any puzzles for me because I just used it as a convenient way to see in the dark and never thought to use it in areas that were well-lit where there's invisible stuff.

General advice for the DLC in VR: pay attention to your posture, I ended up with quite a bit of neck stiffness. Yes is it's as cool to look at in VR as you imagine. Yes I hurt my neck from looking up at the cool ringworld too much.

For general Outer Wilds anecdotes, I recently watched a playthrough by a streamer who had prerecorded episodes and had them premiering daily while she was on break. This meant there was still stream chats but no-one could backseat, which is honestly a good way to avoid chat spoiling anything, but also left some giant misunderstandings going on for hours.

There was this whole White Hole Station saga where she thought it was a shuttle or that it was broken or several other misunderstandings. She even went right up to the entrances twice and wrote it off each time. Every time she falls through the black hole there's 2000 people in chat taking psychic damage from her ignoring it.This persists through the entire playthrough and she actually finishes the game without ever going inside.

Chat was described as "that guy at the end of Interstellar screaming into the past".

The consolation prize was a bonus episode released a week later. It's 5 minutes long, she flies directly to the White Hole Station, goes inside and looks around, and says "Wow".

Angela Merkle Tree fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 1, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey so, in shocking news, it turns out my over-complicated plan was unnecessarily over-complicated! I managed to get a Black Hole warp core to the Vessel, went to see if I could fix the existing warp core with it and it said,"You are already holding a warp core" :cripes:

On the plus side though, I finally figured out how to get inside the Ash Twin project, turns out trying to time my entries around the start or finish of the sand funnel passing through the warp station that I was mostly confident would take me there was dumb, I just needed to rush in right in the middle because - and there is where my stupidity is on high display - of loving course a miniature black hole is going to have more pull than a sand funnel!

I have to think things through very carefully now, I don't know if it is THAT sort of game but if I end the Ash Twin project and die trying to get the warp core to the vessel, I'm assuming that this it it, game over. Or maybe not, I was a little confused by what the Nomai writing talking about ending the project meant, and I don't know if the Sun Station will still cause the sun to supernova or not. Gonna take a long look through all of my ship's log and make sure there's nothing I'm missing, then do my best to time things so I have the maximum amount of time possible to get to the Vessel and hopefully from there to the Eye (Christ I hope I am correctly understanding what inputs need to go into the Vessel's navigation computer :ohdear:)

God, this game is a loving blast.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 2, 2024

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

People die when they are killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

It never automatically deletes your save file based on what you do inside of the game, if that's what you're worried about.

Edit: I spoilered it, because it seems some people thought it improved their playthroughs not knowing this.

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 1, 2024