Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Evaporating the sleep gas liquid may not be very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Seems accurate to me.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

goatface posted:

Evaporating the sleep gas liquid may not be very helpful.

If evaporating it early doesn't interfere with it, then why the delay, anyway? It seems to only have its bad effects if it sits as a liquid for 30 minutes and then explodes. I feel that evaporating it over the candle is a valid answer, if maybe not the one Slylock picks.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I know that Hagar the Horrible is "it's actually just 20th century american poo poo but in viking outfits" the comic, but it's still loving wild that they're just depicting vikings happily sitting in a loving church.

Not so much if this happened during the Christianization of Scandinavia in the 11° century.

There is no much to ponder about the historical accuracy of this comic strip, obviously, but is not that surprising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianization_of_Scandinavia

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Is there a reason these were translated to an eye dialect?

Edit:just seems kind of heavy handed

Because they're also transliterated in eye dialect in the original Korean.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

Because they're also transliterated in eye dialect in the original Korean.

Well alright then

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I did not know what Eye Dialect was so I looked it up.

quote:

The term was coined by George Philip Krapp to refer to a literary technique that implies the standard pronunciation of a given word that is not well-reflected by its standard spelling, such as wimmin to more accurately represent the typical English pronunciation of women.

:lol:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I always forget about "When they've dug up all the space, they'll leave" and it gets me every time. :lol:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Bluebeard Affair

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (April 7-8, 2005)

That's it for Bulgaria! This next arc is one I quite like, and in my opinion it's the start of a more coherent meta-narrative arc for SGR, as it has a significant impact on the rest of the run.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/3-5/52

Archie 5/30 - 6/1/49

They had recess in high school in the 1940s?

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 12/26/76

Dig that tres 1970s font in the splash panel.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(August 1, 1910)

Baron Bean(January 30, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(December 30, 1912)

Gasoline Alley(September 19, 1919)

Us Boys(November 28, 1911)

The Gumps(February 26, 1917)

The Gump's receive a new boarder.

Krazy Kat(November 24, 1913)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

DNA Is loving Everywhere

run.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Father, I cannot click pamphlet"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pictured: a person who has spent at least three fourths of their life with their face buried in a newspaper or plastered against a TV screen

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"But you see my way of escapism is the correct one!!!"

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

10/10, no notes.

Selachian posted:

They had recess in high school in the 1940s?

They had school dentists who would pull a kid's tooth in the 1940s?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ed Kudlick, a piece of poo poo written by the biggest piece of poo poo this side of an overflowing porta-potty, looks at a doctor's office where corporate budget cuts have forced them to cut magazine subscriptions and other incidental quality-of-life touches from the office, and blames it on the Some Gizmo instead

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i can't read highlights for kids at the dentist anymore and it made me so mad i killed a dog

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

kidcoelacanth posted:

i can't read highlights for kids at the dentist anymore and it made me so mad i killed a dog
Finally...Marmaduke's reign of terror is over.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I know that Hagar the Horrible is "it's actually just 20th century american poo poo but in viking outfits" the comic, but it's still loving wild that they're just depicting vikings happily sitting in a loving church.

In 965 the viking king Harald Bluetooth raised the so called Jelling stones where he got inscribed that he made the danes christians. So not as wild as you might think.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Yeah, waiting rooms were great and time just flew by because there were months-old magazines. :rolleyes:

F Minus

:lol:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

You know, Rene seemed to be a fine art teacher, and since he knows this guy he probably could have done all this self-help stuff totally legit. What I'm saying is Rene is a very bad con man and would be better off just using his talents for real things.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

I have questions.

That's cute Weirdly included a tiny li'l pillow for Max. Also the bottle of UGH.

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 12/26/76

Dig that tres 1970s font in the splash panel.

Dang. You gotta be a real impressive kind of special to almost fail out of a scam school.

Luann

Wow. After all these years, Luann finally said something I can wholeheartedly agree with.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That's not how chameleons work. They don't change color to camoflauge themselves.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
You know what healthcare needs more of? Impossible to disinfect things that get handled by the constant stream of patients coming in.

1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Why Raisins? Why?!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I'm absolutely loving Mexikids.

We Are Reproducing

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Oh hey, that's SMB3's 4-6.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Haifisch posted:

Why Raisins? Why?!

Man, Mexikids is so god drat good. The author's got a really good sense of humour and "Why god, why / why god, why / why raisins, why" literally made me lol.

Alhazred posted:

In 965 the viking king Harald Bluetooth raised the so called Jelling stones where he got inscribed that he made the danes christians. So not as wild as you might think.

I knew they eventually converted to Christianity, but I understood it happened like in Finland -- with a lot of bloodshed and resistance. But I didn't know it happened that early. Thanks for educating me!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 26, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Comic Strips 2024: There's more to life--than feet!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mercury Hat posted:

They had school dentists who would pull a kid's tooth in the 1940s?
That's at least the second tooth Archie has needed to have pulled, and he's only around 17.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Some people just have lovely teeth that fall apart no matter what good care you take of them. Genetics can be a bag of assholes like that.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Vargo posted:

I love how Flash Gordon's key premise is "hey actually you can't just kill the emperor that was there a long-rear end and establish a new regime and expect everything to be hunky-dory in the meantime"

Yeah I love this aspect of the story. So often it feels like the protagonists beat the villain and everything just conveniently falls into place afterwards, so a story that starts with the old villain losing and then digs into the aftermath is refreshing.

Haifisch posted:

Why Raisins? Why?!

I was going to say "you probably don't want to go to tamale heaven, kid" but then the final panel addressed that. :hmmyes:

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

You know, being acknowledged by the UN probably doesn't mean that you have to change everything about your society overnight, but admittedly I'm not an expert on international affairs.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 02, 1961)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arn: metal as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I knew they eventually converted to Christianity, but I understood it happened like in Finland -- with a lot of bloodshed and resistance. But I didn't know it happened that early. Thanks for educating me!

It depends on the country. Denmark became christian pretty early and mostly wihtout violence. Norway and Sweden became christian later (the swedes held on to paganism the longest) and violence was used in both countries to get rid of the paganism. The rus vikings was the first to convert to christianity and there wss no use of violence.