Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
The Eagles are making decent hires so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Still saddled with a sniveling empty rat of a head coach though

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Falcons hiring Jimmy Lake as DC. This is a good thing because now UW doesn't have to pay his buyout anymore!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The Eagles are making decent hires so far.

The Seahawks DL wasn’t good with Hurtt and the defense wasn’t good when he was DC.

He’s big and charismatic but he doesn’t seem like a great coach.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The Seahawks DL wasn’t good with Hurtt and the defense wasn’t good when he was DC.

He’s big and charismatic but he doesn’t seem like a great coach.

Maybe but are you gonna tell him that?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

really queer Christmas posted:

hi welcome to modern capitalism

lol read your history mate.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Jody Allen I am speaking directly to you: you need to maintain the culture that Pete instilled with the Seahawks franchise that brought you so much success. You need continuity. You need Dan Quinn. What the gently caress did this MacDonald guy ever do, lose a conference championship game?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
What a strange thing to come out and say

https://nypost.com/2024/01/29/sports/steelers-owner-art-rooney-iis-mike-tomlin-support-has-a-warning/

posted:

"We’ve had enough of this,” Rooney said, according to ESPN. “It’s time to get some wins; it’s time to take these next steps.”

"Certainly, there’s a resolve there and a determination there,” Rooney said. “And I think I said before, I think all of us that have been around for a little while are anxious to take this next step — and getting a little impatient — and we need to see the kind of improvement we all want to see. [Head coach Mike Tomlin] believes that as firmly as anybody else in the building.”

"The players still respond to Mike, and that’s No. 1,” Rooney said. “He still has the key characteristics that we saw when we hired him. He can keep the attention of a group of 20-year-olds for a whole season and keep them in the fight for the whole way."

"So, still feel good about Mike. Obviously if I didn’t, [we] would make a change, but if we didn’t think Mike was able to lead us to a championship, he wouldn’t be here, and that’s why he is here.”

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I mean, their ceiling is the wildcard round until they get a QB worth a drat. Whether that's on the front office or on Tomlin not developing Pickett... Well, I'm certainly leaning the former there.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
what can the Steelers realistically do to upgrade QB? Cousins and Brisette would be fairly simple to acquire, but Cousins will cost and Jacoby has a definite ceiling. no way Tampa lets Baker get away (and I’m not sure the Steelers would be the right team for him in any case, Pickens would ruin his vibe). Jameis or Minshew would be an upgrade over Pickett, but they'll win you just enough games to be disappointing

their best option is probably offering a second and ~2025 third for Fields? that might be fun

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Could I interest you in one Michael McCorkle Jones?

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Mega64 posted:

I mean, their ceiling is the wildcard round until they get a QB worth a drat. Whether that's on the front office or on Tomlin not developing Pickett... Well, I'm certainly leaning the former there.

Tomlin wanted Pickett, and Tomlin didn't exactly do great things with even a Big Ben in his prime in the last decade.

Tomlin is a good coach, but I think at this point both sides need a fresh start.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Steelers are definitely on the shortlist of Fields destinations. The Bears obviously won't trade him within the division so the Vikings are out, which makes Steelers, Falcons, and maybe Raiders the most logical teams that are likely making changes at QB but not really in position to draft a promising prospect. Maybe Seahawks if the new coach isn't a believer in Geno.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

indigi posted:

what can the Steelers realistically do to upgrade QB? Cousins and Brisette would be fairly simple to acquire, but Cousins will cost and Jacoby has a definite ceiling. no way Tampa lets Baker get away (and I’m not sure the Steelers would be the right team for him in any case, Pickens would ruin his vibe). Jameis or Minshew would be an upgrade over Pickett, but they'll win you just enough games to be disappointing

their best option is probably offering a second and ~2025 third for Fields? that might be fun

I keep forgetting that Cousins' injury was an achilles. It's not a guarantee at all he's even ready or playing close to 100% to open the season, Rodgers' poo poo about how recovering from an achilles tear is actually very easy and he totally could have won every game if he wanted to notwithstanding. Makes investing in him even riskier than it would have been.

Also Kirk Cousins has somehow earned over $230 million in his career, god drat. Amassing exactly 1 playoff win lol.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1752348606336528706

Also looks like they've requested the Ravens' secondary coach.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/packers-request-dc-interview-with-dennard-wilson

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There aren't many other teams better than the Ravens if you intend on pillaging their defensive staff for upgrades.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Big dude aside, Hurtt started as the DL coach for Seattle when they were pretty bad then was promoted to DC, when they basically ranked 31st on a lot of key metrics (3rd down stops was awful). I don't think he's a good coach, but definitely good he's not DC anymore.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Wow, Mike MacDonald really has elite...

agent representation, at least

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1752354114728497528?s=20

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Docjowles posted:

Also Kirk Cousins has somehow earned over $230 million in his career, god drat. Amassing exactly 1 playoff win lol.

One of the best examples of betting on yourself and it working out I can think of. He played three straight one season contracts with Washington didn't he? And then got that sweet Vikings contract after that.

...and he's Kirk Cousins.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

One of the best examples of betting on yourself and it working out I can think of. He played three straight one season contracts with Washington didn't he? And then got that sweet Vikings contract after that.

...and he's Kirk Cousins.

Only 2 1 year deals with Washington but Kirk was forced to bet on himself, and it's worked out amazingly:

$2.5m - 4 year rookie deal combined.
$20m - Franchise tag
$24m - Franchise tag #2
$84m - 3 year Vikings deal
$66m - 2 year extension
$35m - 1 year extension.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If Daniel Jones is making 40MM a year it's hard to argue that Cousins isn't worth 45.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

mcmagic posted:

If Daniel Jones is making 40MM a year it's hard to argue that Cousins isn't worth 45.

maybe last season

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean pretty much regardless. There's just no one willing to actually sit on that middle tier, so you either pay near $40m or find yourself in hell

QB APY:

55 - Burrow
53 - Herbert
52 - Lamar
51 - Hurts
49 - Russ
46 - Murray, Watson
45 - Mahomes
43 - Allen
40 - Stafford, Dak, Daniel Jones
38 - Rodgers, Carr
35 - Cousins
34 - Goff
30 - Tannehill
25 - Geno
24 - Jimmy G
14 - Love
9 - Bryce, Lawrence, Stroud, Zach Wilson

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Kalli posted:

9 - Bryce, Lawrence, Stroud, Zach Wilson

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
decade of action for road safety 2011-2020

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://x.com/TomPelissero/status/1752380808915210560?s=20

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Docjowles posted:

How much did Sam Bradford earn? Cause I feel like it was a lot for a dude who was usually hurt.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

:lmao: :lol:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

How much did Sam Bradford earn? Cause I feel like it was a lot for a dude who was usually hurt.

78 - 5 year Rookie deal, traded to Eagles
35 - 2 year Eagles deal, traded to Vikings
16 - 2 year Cardinals deal, $40m in total, he only saw one year's worth though.

Responsible for a fairly robust $31m in dead cap money across 5 different seasons due to all the trades / getting cut, so that's rather impressive.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Holy poo poo, Arthur Smith is only 41 years old.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
ok, but who is the qb?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Russell Wilson just feels like a Steeler right?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

wandler20 posted:

Holy poo poo, Arthur Smith is only 41 years old.

The falcons age a man

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

ok, but who is the qb?

https://twitter.com/BobLabriola/status/1752044781226627367

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://x.com/dmrussini/status/1752367415776755712?s=46&t=4v69OlVJpK1h7pgGOGqqoA

Anyone know what the deal is with Weaver? Generally speaking defensive line coaches only get hired to be DCs by defensive head coaches that are otherwise running the show and are friends with the guy, because they lack like- coverage stuff which is kind of important. Has anyone else been connected with him?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

He's a good OC. TBH. He'll probably do a good job there.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

78 - 5 year Rookie deal, traded to Eagles
35 - 2 year Eagles deal, traded to Vikings
16 - 2 year Cardinals deal, $40m in total, he only saw one year's worth though.

Responsible for a fairly robust $31m in dead cap money across 5 different seasons due to all the trades / getting cut, so that's rather impressive.

Yeah Spotrac says $130m which seems like a lot for a dude who played like half of his possible games and peaked at "meh". The rookie contract so bad that the next CBA made it impossible to repeat! Also that trade to the Vikings was a desperation play where they sent a first rounder for him because Bridgewater's knee exploded like a week before the season. To be fair he did manage to play a full season (for the last time) and it was probably his best statistical year. Ended 8-8 and missed the playoffs though, lol.

First overall pick, record setting contract, never even made a pro bowl. The early 2010s Rams did some wild poo poo (sup Tavon Austin)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

He's a good OC. TBH. He'll probably do a good job there.

Results are mixed. His use of talent in Atlanta was baffling. But maybe his Tennessee game plan of a run heavy offense with liberal play action will work better with the personnel in Pittsburgh, though Rudolph is probably worse than Tannehill and they don’t have a Derrick Henry.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1752388531803050219

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Man wants a trophy in detroit

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1752388531803050219?s=20