Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TKs-Mantis isn't dead, MittenSquad is.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

TKs-Mantis isn't dead, MittenSquad is.
:goonsay:

sir handskefanden

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The song "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" which Disney likes to spam everywhere, especially at their parks, is from their otherwise-memory-holed 1946 racist classic Song of the South. :staredog:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'll believe you'll find it is whistled out of assholes

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
That explains why I didn't get any of the references at Splash Mountain

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Porfiriato posted:

The song "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" which Disney likes to spam everywhere, especially at their parks, is from their otherwise-memory-holed 1946 racist classic Song of the South. :staredog:

I even had it on an old sing-along VHS (with footage included), which was definitely at the point where they knew they were never going to re-release the movie, but before the internet age where they had to really bury it. The tape also had "Beauty and the Beast" so I guess it probably came out shortly after that hit home video. Of course it's possible they cut out anything particularly problematic, but I gather it's more a matter of the whole movie feeling in poor taste, rather than specific moments. (They include the villain song from The Great Mouse Detective but omit the line about "widows and orphans you've drowned" which is pretty drat cold)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't think I ever had a VHS copy of Song of the South as a kid, but I know I had a little picture book and it might have been some kind of sing-a-long book with a record, if one of those existed for Song of the South?

And the little book was still pretty racist. Like... it had the tar baby scenes including referring to it, many times, by that name.

Granted, as a kid I had no idea it was even a slur. I actually never realized that was a slur until college, early 2000's. Just growing up a sheltered white boy in rural New England, I never heard the term at all. I think I heard a couple racist jokes that used the N word. but never the "lesser" slurs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I saw it on Laserdisc! I was more excited by the Laserdisc.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think there's some value behind the Anansi stories that led to Br'er Rabbit (yes, even that one), and there are interesting stories to tell about how those stories came to the American South and became Br'er Rabbit but Song Of The South isn't the way to do either of those things and it deserves to be buried forever.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Lemming posted:

I even had it on an old sing-along VHS (with footage included), which was definitely at the point where they knew they were never going to re-release the movie, but before the internet age where they had to really bury it. The tape also had "Beauty and the Beast" so I guess it probably came out shortly after that hit home video. Of course it's possible they cut out anything particularly problematic, but I gather it's more a matter of the whole movie feeling in poor taste, rather than specific moments. (They include the villain song from The Great Mouse Detective but omit the line about "widows and orphans you've drowned" which is pretty drat cold)

I had that sing-along VHS but I also saw Song Of The South in its original uncut form (my older brother is a huge Disney fan and also a huge racist) and I can confirm that the sing-along version was a heavily edited attempt at whitewashing Disney history, cutting out all of the animated human characters and omitting any references to where the songs might have come from. All the other songs were attributed to their movies. I believe there was even some interstitial content with Briar Fox/Bear/Rabbit that was made specifically for that VHS. It was pretty weird, and Splash Mountain's theming is (was? I don't know if they've changed it yet) following the Sing-Along VHS' heavily modified storyline and barely has anything to do with Song of the South at all.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They're retheming it to Princess and the Frog, which is great and deserves the exposure.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Baron von Eevl posted:

They're retheming it to Princess and the Frog, which is great and deserves the exposure.

This is a potentially good move. Even as a child, I found the way Br'er Bear's swollen body is bound and suspended as grotesque and disturbing enough in the books I had, not to mention seeing it in person on the ride.

Honestly, the whole T__ B___ scene in the record+book I had was also disturbing, this idiotic character interacting with a clearly inanimate object, fighting it, becoming enveloped and ensnared by it, kinda weirded me out as a kid.

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Jan 29, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That comes directly from the Anansi stories, it later becoming a racial slur is hosed.

edit apparently it came from Native American folk stories and got absorbed into an Anansi story later

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Jan 29, 2024

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't think I ever had a VHS copy of Song of the South as a kid, but I know I had a little picture book and it might have been some kind of sing-a-long book with a record, if one of those existed for Song of the South?

And the little book was still pretty racist. Like... it had the tar baby scenes including referring to it, many times, by that name.

Granted, as a kid I had no idea it was even a slur. I actually never realized that was a slur until college, early 2000's. Just growing up a sheltered white boy in rural New England, I never heard the term at all. I think I heard a couple racist jokes that used the N word. but never the "lesser" slurs.

Yep, same. I had a cassette tape and accompanying picture book of the Br'er Rabbit story and never thought anything of it. One day my dad walked by while I was listening to it and went "Uh, you probably shouldn't listen to this. It's racist," and I was like what you got me this tape?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
When I was in elementary school, before school started, we all lined up outside, and would sing songs and do the Pledge of Allegiance. Zippidy-doo-dah was one of those songs.

I'm just now realizing how kinda hosed up that seems

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I don't know what it was, but I definitely grew up with a VHS that had a compilation of all the animated scenes from Song of the South. When I finally watched the movie, a few years ago, I was like HOLY poo poo THESE CARTOONS! I REMEMBER THESE CARTOONS! But I'd definitely never seen the live action segments.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I had this one as a kid and found a lot of it creepy as hell.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LOL when I was a kid we had this Disney 'play and read' record + book set

Porfiriato posted:

Of course they're proud of it, it won the Academy Award for 'best original song' in 1947 :eng101:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly the song is fine by itself, it's about how it's a nice day and you feel happy, that's it. It's about as vague and disconnected from the rest of the movie as any Disney song has ever been since like the song Cinderella sings while cleaning.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baron von Eevl posted:

Honestly the song is fine by itself, it's about how it's a nice day and you feel happy, that's it. It's about as vague and disconnected from the rest of the movie as any Disney song has ever been since like the song Cinderella sings while cleaning.

It skirts aaaaaaaaawfully close to olde timey minstrel songs without overtly crossing the line. "Zip" is not a random nonsense word, there's history there

Disney actually removed the 'Zip a dee doo dah' line from its parade soundtrack last year and also cut the song from the Downtown Disney music loop in 2020 and from the carousel soundtrack in 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It skirts aaaaaaaaawfully close to olde timey minstrel songs without overtly crossing the line. "Zip" is not a random nonsense word, there's history there

"You hear him google google google google gollar."

How did they know?!?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Disney actually removed the 'Zip a dee doo dah' line from its parade soundtrack last year and also cut the song from the Downtown Disney music loop in 2020 and from the carousel soundtrack in 2021

Ah poo poo, didn't know that. Pretty sus!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LOL when I was a kid we had this Disney 'play and read' record + book set

Same, this is the very one I had, inherited from my older brother. I also had the LP of the Song of the South. I never saw the movie.

yikes

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Jan 30, 2024

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Camptown Races is also one of those “you’re gonna sigh when you read the history” songs

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I sat down with a guy at the bar, and he said in a Southern accent, "Haven't seen you in a coon's age. You know that's not racist, right?"

Well, it feels like it somehow became racist by that followup.

The same way, a friend offered to buy me a shot of some drink with milk in it. I said I had to pass because I'm vegan, and her date said, "Hey man, no judgment."

Which just... makes it feel like there is judgment, by virtue of you saying so?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

credburn posted:

I sat down with a guy at the bar, and he said in a Southern accent, "Haven't seen you in a coon's age. You know that's not racist, right?"

The same way, a friend offered to buy me a shot of some drink with milk in it. I said I had to pass because I'm vegan, and her date said, "Hey man, no judgment."

A decade or so ago, I was having a smoke in my parents’ backyard, and suddenly noticed the neighbour on his roof. He yelled out “Hey man! I’m not spying on you, don’t worry!”
Like yeah dude, I wouldn’t have thought you were, but now that you say it…

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

credburn posted:

I know exactly what you mean. I've got no clue where folks learned to think of that as a disarming thing to say.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leave posted:

When I was in elementary school, before school started, we all lined up outside, and would sing songs and do the Pledge of Allegiance. Zippidy-doo-dah was one of those songs.

Wow why did you do that? Sounds like you were racist kids!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ugh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Folks_at_Home

Just pick another song, you fuckers. Don't keep it and change the lyrics.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Change every national anthem to Toni Basil’s Mickey

https://youtu.be/JZEdtcnnO80

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
PYFTYJR: Toni Basil's Mickey is a genderswapped cover of the UK band Racey's song Kitty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3JxiB4FLjU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hyperlynx posted:

Ugh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Folks_at_Home

Just pick another song, you fuckers. Don't keep it and change the lyrics.

It wasn't until 2008 that Florida changed the lyrics of their state song to not include slurs, including, ugh (slurs) darkeys longing for the plantation

Florida sux!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

teen witch posted:

Change every national anthem to Toni Basil’s Mickey

https://youtu.be/JZEdtcnnO80

Toni Basil's Mickey or Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend.

I will not be taking any questions

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PYFTYJR: Toni Basil's Mickey is a genderswapped cover of the UK band Racey's song Kitty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3JxiB4FLjU

I genuinely did not know this.

The one I usually smugly drop on people is that Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Want To Have Fun is a somewhat more female-friendly cover/version of a pretty good power pop song by Robert Hazard.

e: https://youtu.be/5aLNwOxPsjg?feature=shared

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Jan 30, 2024

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

credburn posted:

The first one is definitely racist. The second one is something I've definitely reflexively, awkwardly, said in response to something like 'oh I'm vegan'. It's less an intentionally disarming thing to say and more that sometimes brains are dumb when you don't know how to reply, at least for me. Like when the waiter says 'Enjoy your food' and you reply 'You too' then hate yourself.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the raccoon one predates the racial slur, a fact that I just learned.

I prefer "dog's age" for various reasons (including that one)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

what came first, "see a man about a horse" or "see a man about a dog?"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
dog: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/4715/origin-and-exact-meaning-of-the-phrase-i-have-to-go-see-a-man-about-a-dog#4716

I'm learning a lot today

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Phlegmish posted:

I genuinely did not know this.

The one I usually smugly drop on people is that Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Want To Have Fun is a somewhat more female-friendly cover/version of a pretty good power pop song by Robert Hazard.

e: https://youtu.be/5aLNwOxPsjg?feature=shared
I didn't know either of these. I am also learning a lot today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ommin posted:

I didn't know either of these. I am also learning a lot today.

:same: