Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Isn't the cost of fare evasion literally neglible and all these measures to combat it cost a lot more than they could ever save?

Gotta punish the poor though, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

wash bucket posted:

Absolutely no way this could end in disaster.

You know what's a bigger emergency than any emergency you can imagine?
Fare evasion.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
There shouldn't be any fares to evade...

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

wash bucket posted:

but think of the literal tens of dollars the MTA is missing out on!

EDIT

for content - the US Federal highway system. I drove cross-country last week and the roads were universally lovely from California to New York. I've made the drive 5 or 6 times now, albeit the last time was approximately 5 years ago, and it seemed like not a single road had been resurfaced properly in that time.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 30, 2024

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Taeke posted:

Isn't the cost of fare evasion literally neglible and all these measures to combat it cost a lot more than they could ever save?

Gotta punish the poor though, I guess

NYPD spends approximately $4k-5k just in overtime per stopped fare evasion ($2.75).

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Speaking of which, a list of services that google has discontinued:
Aardvark (search engine)
Google Answers
Google Base
BebaPay
Google Blog Search
Google Building Maker
Google Buzz
Google Checkout
Google Code Search
Google Directory
Google Expeditions
Google Express
Google Fast Flip
Google Flu Trends
Google Friend Connect
Google Gesture Search
Google Goggles
GOOG-411
Google Web Light
Google+
Grasshopper (mobile app)
Google Hangouts
Google Helpouts
IGoogle
Google Image Labeler
Google Image Swirl
Inbox by Gmail
Google Insights for Search
Knol
Google Labs
Google Latitude
Google Lively
Google Mashup Editor
Meebo
Google Moderator
Google News & Weather
Google Notebook
Google Offers
Google Optimize
Orkut
Google Page Creator
Google Pay Send
Picasa
Picnik
Google Questions and Answers
Google Reader
San Francisco Digital Inclusion Strategy
San Francisco Municipal Wireless
Google Schemer
Google SearchWiki
Google Sidewiki
Google Spaces
Google Squared
Google Stadia
Google Surveys
Google Sync
Tez (software)
Urchin (software)
Google URL Shortener
Google Video
Google Wave
Worm Game
ZygoteBody

It's a long list. One day I feel like google will complete it's companies mission statement and finally discontinue every last one of its products by mistake.

rip worm game

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

wash bucket posted:

Does anyone know where I could buy a nice shirtwaist?

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

wash bucket posted:

This has been happening periodically at random locations for a decade at least. At least one pilot in 2016-ish was to lock the exit entirely and staff it with someone to open it for people with strollers and poo poo.

Still a smarter idea than the robot cop that they had to guard at all times with 4+ regular cops so it wouldn't get destroyed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/22/nyregion/police-robot-times-square-nyc.html

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Cosmik Debris posted:

NMCI machines are already thin clients anyway so if the internet is down you just can't login to your system to begin with.

And RDTE is down 60% of the time I'm on base.

We had our own little carve out in my lab where we were proxy only connected to the internet through an RDTE SSH tunnel, and we had local admin access, but IA caught on and made us switch to building on RDTE machines.

poo poo sucks now. Had to switch everything over to build in containers. Which I really dont understand containers too well but w/e I just do less work

Lol this has been my career. Just doing more extra stuff, containerization, automation, etc. I no kidding get as much real work done in a week as I used to do in a day and its getting to the point where I do useful work so little I forget how to do it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When there is an emergency and people die it’s nice that they can just print off a post

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The cost of implementing that is probably a billion dollars hahah

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Speaking of, Ars Technica has a thing about google’s culture making it impossible to create a chat app that doesn’t suck.

At first glance this sub-heading is a little dramatic, but...hard agree:

I am still pissed they finally killed Hangouts. I use Voice now, and it's not nearly as good, especially when it comes to texting/messaging from my PC.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why don’t people use email.

It’s fine

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Hangouts was far better than the alternatives when it was around but tbh it didn't do anything that the stock android messaging app can't do now.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I think Google survey just morphed into Google opinion rewards.

If you are on android I've gotten $204.68 out of them.

I mostly rent movies with that money now that I don't janitor my phone with sketchy apps any more or play mobile games.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 10, 2024

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ghost emoji posted:

They're getting rid of the HTML-only inboxes on Gmail soon. My dad lives in the middle of nowhere with lovely internet, and the current Gmail takes ages to load for him. Everything online is optimized for people who have a high-speed connection that never falters.

i love waiting for 200mb of javascript and hi-res images to download on my throttled 3g phone connection whenever im out of the country so i can look at the menu in a restaurant (after dismissing all of the privacy popups of course!)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cerekk posted:

Hangouts was far better than the alternatives when it was around but tbh it didn't do anything that the stock android messaging app can't do now.

Incorrect. In the Hangouts PC client (technically it was the Hangouts Chrome Extension), I could copy and paste an image directly into a chat.

Google Voice has a web interface, but you can't paste images inline. At least not last time I checked a few months ago.

On top of that, the Android Voice app is worse, too. It will show me the preview of as webp image on my phone if I go to the image selector to send a pic to someone, but will then error when I try to send it saying invalid format.

It also doesn't allow you to browse the entire file system to find an image, for some reason it has a few folders it pulls from (looking right now and it's Camera, Screenshots, and Downloads), and it's it's not in one of those, too bad (or go to the Files app and copy it to one of those folders, but that's absurd.)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

but think of the literal tens of dollars the MTA is missing out on!

EDIT

for content - the US Federal highway system. I drove cross-country last week and the roads were universally lovely from California to New York. I've made the drive 5 or 6 times now, albeit the last time was approximately 5 years ago, and it seemed like not a single road had been resurfaced properly in that time.

The pandemic caused that one. They still can’t get crews and nearly all states are way behind.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The pandemic caused that one. They still can’t get crews and nearly all states are way behind.

And I bet if you looked at the books of all the asphalt/concrete companies and private contractor road crews, they almost all to a T took pandemic monies ostensibly to "keep staff" but still layed them all off and pocketed the savings, and yet still got their loans forgiven.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Incorrect. In the Hangouts PC client (technically it was the Hangouts Chrome Extension), I could copy and paste an image directly into a chat.

Google Voice has a web interface, but you can't paste images inline. At least not last time I checked a few months ago.

On top of that, the Android Voice app is worse, too. It will show me the preview of as webp image on my phone if I go to the image selector to send a pic to someone, but will then error when I try to send it saying invalid format.

It also doesn't allow you to browse the entire file system to find an image, for some reason it has a few folders it pulls from (looking right now and it's Camera, Screenshots, and Downloads), and it's it's not in one of those, too bad (or go to the Files app and copy it to one of those folders, but that's absurd.)

To be fair, the US is the only country left in the world that still uses SMS for communication and where any of the above stuff matters. Everyone else moved on to internet based messenger apps like a decade ago and doesn't even know what the hell you are talking about. It's not a priority trying to tack on modern chat features to some ancient communication format from the late 80s.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

thathonkey posted:

i love waiting for 200mb of javascript and hi-res images to download on my throttled 3g phone connection whenever im out of the country so i can look at the menu in a restaurant (after dismissing all of the privacy popups of course!)

hi I'm a restaurant web page designer. prices? hours? what are you talking about, the people only want massive glossy slideshows of dishes we may or may not serve

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

DrBouvenstein posted:

And I bet if you looked at the books of all the asphalt/concrete companies and private contractor road crews, they almost all to a T took pandemic monies ostensibly to "keep staff" but still layed them all off and pocketed the savings, and yet still got their loans forgiven.

You would probably be wrong, at least in my area. I work in the industry on the engineering side and every contractor we worked with was desperate for employees. There were a lot of project delays due in large part to construction staffing. These are all union shops too, so pay wasn't the issue. Just a ton of work and not enough people. It was an issue that pre dated covid, but the pandemic exacerbated it of course. They probably still took the loans but they def weren't laying people off.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

In Florida we also did the double whammy of cracking down on undocumented immigrants specifically at Florida Department Of Transportation worksites. Turns out nobody else wants those jobs, and now there's nobody to do them at all.

So fuckin' cool having a governor run your state as an extension of his failed presidential campaign.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

And what a failure! Nobody Floridas like Florida!

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Can't find staff == not paying enough

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Cosmik Debris posted:

If anyone wants to pay me my techbro salary I have years of experience painting, can do it better than most, and have literally written a manual on the subject. Random internet conservatives have assured me that this money is easily attainable in the trades.

Offers? I’ll seriously quit right now.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cosmik Debris posted:

True for a lot of jobs, maybe most, but not really for construction. Construction pays really really well. It's just hard, filthy, dangerous work with long hours and an often repellent culture. And it has a long learning curve. It's just a job that a lot of people can't do or really don't want to do.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'd take a guess they would if it paid enough to offset those disadvantages.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

SettingSun posted:

I'd take a guess they would if it paid enough to offset those disadvantages.

lol

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

800peepee51doodoo posted:

True for a lot of jobs, maybe most, but not really for construction. Construction pays really really well.

People say that a lot here too, but somehow this is never reflected in average salaries. A quick Google search says the average salary for construction workers in the US is just $40k.

At least around here it's also a field that employs a lot of desperate immigrants that don't really have many opportunities anywhere else on the job market due to lacking language skills or education. A lot of illegal employment and exploitation too. Not exactly signs of a highly paid field.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

800peepee51doodoo posted:

True for a lot of jobs, maybe most, but not really for construction. Construction pays really really well. It's just hard, filthy, dangerous work with long hours and an often repellent culture. And it has a long learning curve. It's just a job that a lot of people can't do or really don't want to do.

Maybe union shops do, but where I'm at construction pays poo poo and only mexicans do it. Learning the trades isn't hard, you just shadow someone with experience and do what they tell you. If you're not brain-dead you'll pick it up.

I'm as qualified a construction worker as ever there was, I do all my own work. You name it I've done it. Demo, frame carpentry, finish carpentry, plumbing, electrical, hvac, brick block and concrete, experienced with heavy machinery, the list goes on and on and on. I know how hard the work is.

But I make pretty good money as an embedded systems programmer and I get to work in an office 3 days a week and work from home for 2, from 930 until about 330 or 4.

Point being, if they need construction workers that badly, I can grab my hi-viz and PPE and meet them onsite. But methinks they're not gonna make it worth my time.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Even here, my friends/family that work in construction are usually making high 20s / h. My first job out of being a college dropout which was 'basic computer touching' was $21 / h, and that was 15 years ago.

I think it's probably an OK wage for a low skill labor, but considering the conditions, it seems like the pay kinda sucks tbh.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Commercials are now interrupting Amazon Prime shows, so they're not too different from Freevee, which, no doubt has even more commercials.

Not on Firefox + ublock at this time, of course. 🖕🖕🖕

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cosmik Debris posted:

. But methinks they're not gonna make it worth my time.

:siren::byodame: nobody wants to work anymore! :byodame::siren:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cosmik Debris posted:

Nah, we're actually short 10-20m workers right now. Everyone is employed, and everyone is still hiring. It's why you see Republicans pushing to allow kids to start working rather than actually letting more immigrants into the country to fill the gap. I believe more people retired during Covid than any time in history.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

If you raise pay disgruntled employees will do this thing called "quit" and come work for you instead.

Crazy stuff I know.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Right, you're talking shifting of workers, not filling the worker gap, though. We simply don't have enough people for the amount of job openings right now.

Opening the borders completely wouldn't even be enough to fill that gap. It would be a good start, but not enough.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Philthy posted:

Nah, we're actually short 10-20m workers right now. Everyone is employed, and everyone is still hiring. It's why you see Republicans pushing to allow kids to start working rather than actually letting more immigrants into the country to fill the gap. I believe more people retired during Covid than any time in history.

Im hearing both things (as usual). Democrats saying the economy is great, Republicans say it's terrible. As usual, for a democratic administration. During Republican admins the roles are reversed.

It's probably somewhere in the middle.

I think a lot of dinosaurs just can't stomach the sharp increase in pay that is necessary post-covlation, so they'd rather throw up their hands and say "cant find anyone who wants to work!!11"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

DrBouvenstein posted:

The default android messaging app, not Google Voice. The one that is just called "messages" and can't be uninstalled and syncs seamlessly with your desktop at messages.google.com to include doing whatever you like with images stored in whatever folder you want. It's basically a flawless app. Google killed Hangouts because there's no need for it anymore.