Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's not just a Windows thing, tinkering with the Stream Deck (linux) needs K+M all the time too.

you don't need a k+m to use a steam deck, and you do need a k+m if you want to tinker with an android device tho?

like, it's literally impossible to do most things you can do on a deck on an android device without adb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

mila kunis posted:

America owns Pakistan and don't you forget it

i bet this is what jinnah envisioned when creating the epic islamic republic that split the country in half

brits drew a line because otherwise it was going to boil down to class war.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

fart simpson posted:

yeah that’s what i was getting at. debt owned by bank of china is, on the spreadsheet side of things, money that the state owes to itself? it doesn’t seem the same thing as the american crisis in 2008 just for that reason

no its not the same. china controls its own money supply, which is fundamentally different from the central bank model.

that doesnt mean that such a large cancellation of debt in the modern era isnt new territory. whatever happens then will certainly offer empirical evidence for various economic theories.

right now, its just bankruptcy for the developers themselves.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Truga posted:

you don't need a k+m to use a steam deck, and you do need a k+m if you want to tinker with an android device tho?

like, it's literally impossible to do most things you can do on a deck on an android device without adb

Nah you don't need adb to setup the emulation/frontend on android.

On Deck I need to use K+M (or use that trackpad thing) just to add the Ubisoft store.

See this is the thing, it's trivial for Steam to offer one click support of Ubisoft and GOG on it. But Steam OS has no competition, they don't need to do it. But on android its wild open competition.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The OLED deck did get a shrink to 6nm, but honestly, the market for people wanting to play full-scale PC games or PS4/5 games probably is going to be more niche simply because playing more complex menu-driven games just becomes a chore on any handheld.

If anything 8bit to maybe Xbox360/PSP/Switch seems to be more sweet spot because games are are a little more simplified from that era or designed for handhelds. I think midsized android/arm handhelds are about a refresh away from pretty much having all of that being possible at a relatively cheap price point. (Otherwise, people will probably just get a laptop out anyway.)

Otherwise everything from the late 2010s onward is just going to be Gatcha or free to play games.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

yeah that’s what i was getting at. debt owned by bank of china is, on the spreadsheet side of things, money that the state owes to itself? it doesn’t seem the same thing as the american crisis in 2008 just for that reason

I cannot overstate how absolutely critical this is: the People's Bank of China lends and borrows in Yuan to companies and other national banks. China finances its debt on terms of its own currency.

It's not even a matter of printing out the money (in the way we got used to see it) because state ownership means the financing of debt can be offset by value generated in the public company, which is a very different thing than making available tons of cash for banks to then put it to loans to then flush the market with credit to then get investors to buy in to then etc etc etc. It's an entirely different game.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also don't forget that China's central bank is directly controlled by the Chinese state. It does not have central bank independence. Which is good, because central bank independence is dumb as gently caress.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Nah you don't need adb to setup the emulation/frontend on android.

On Deck I need to use K+M (or use that trackpad thing) just to add the Ubisoft store.

See this is the thing, it's trivial for Steam to offer one click support of Ubisoft and GOG on it. But Steam OS has no competition, they don't need to do it. But on android its wild open competition.

but that's like installing apple app store on an android phone, something you probably can't even do, never mind adb

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

The OLED deck did get a shrink to 6nm, but honestly, the market for people wanting to play full-scale PC games or PS4/5 games probably is going to be more niche simply because playing more complex menu-driven games just becomes a chore on any handheld.

XCOM 2, Civ 6 and Baldur's Gate 3 and even Age of Empires 2 all did well on the consoles, I think the market is there as long as the UI/UX is properly designed

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

as long as the UI/UX is properly designed

this is now lostech

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Central Bank would likely simply take on the debt on to its own account, and then provide direct funding to the administrative unit/SOE. It is still printing, but there doesn't need to be a bunch of non-sense with bond markets since the government is just taking it on itself.

gradenko_2000 posted:

XCOM 2, Civ 6 and Baldur's Gate 3 and even Age of Empires 2 all did well on the consoles, I think the market is there as long as the UI/UX is properly designed

They did well on consoles, they just aren't going to be fun on a handheld beyond someone who is either really into them or as a demo. At a certain point, it is worth it to drag out your laptop and a mouse versus just futzing everything. Eventually, just the screen size itself and having to physically hold it or awkwardly use a stand will be an issue.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:34 on Jan 30, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

Also don't forget that China's central bank is directly controlled by the Chinese state. It does not have central bank independence. Which is good, because central bank independence is dumb as gently caress.

Yeah, proof of who the actual master are in the western ecosystems.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

A contender for the number one spot of "reasons why neoliberalism will ruin your country" is the destitution of national control of money. A financier shitbag holds the key of the mint and goes "nuh-uh! inflation!" and the state that wants to do something can't loving access its own capability of credit

I sort of wish that the nationalists figured out that this poo poo is tantamount to treason, just to see what would happen

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am enjoying the recent trend of Chinese made retro handhelds that can play all old gaming systems , some can play up to the PS2. Right now top end systems are still using TSMC made qualcomm chip, but the mid and low end tiers all use Chinese soc.

I can see in 2 years all retro consoles will be made completely with Chinese components inside and out, running on linux, and can emulate all games 15 years and older, all free. That's my communism.

I recently got a miyoo mini plus cause I was intrigued by the idea, and I think I'm hooked, I need to get one of the bigger ones that can handle PS2 at some point. The one I got from amazon came with an SD card loaded with roms, including a bunch of chinese stuff, I think there was even a game or two that just ran directly in linux or something.

Makes me wonder what the future holds for other applications of those SOCs, if there's a flood of cheap product coming you know they will just be throwing poo poo at a wall and seeing what happens

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

XCOM 2, Civ 6 and Baldur's Gate 3 and even Age of Empires 2 all did well on the consoles

what monster is playing an rts with a gamepad? i hated StarCraft for the longest time because the first time i played it was the version they put on the N64

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uninterrupted posted:

what monster is playing an rts with a gamepad? i hated StarCraft for the longest time because the first time i played it was the version they put on the N64

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lNEstRmYL0g

That reminds me, I should buy Company of Heroes for the Switch

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/vicktop55/status/1751926788501000683

robo delivery :awesomelon:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

dead gay comedy forums posted:

A contender for the number one spot of "reasons why neoliberalism will ruin your country" is the destitution of national control of money. A financier shitbag holds the key of the mint and goes "nuh-uh! inflation!" and the state that wants to do something can't loving access its own capability of credit

I sort of wish that the nationalists figured out that this poo poo is tantamount to treason, just to see what would happen

i think the ones who figure that out just morph into the infared/haz crew of maga communism

vast bulk ofc are content to just stew in culture war narratives forever except when it loses explanatory power for one narrow bit of reality they're personally familiar with

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

GlassEye-Boy posted:

They're in pretty much every city, it's a extremely popular cuisine in China.

i see so what youre saying is that the ccps evil plan is to destroy uyghur culture by making uyghur food so ubiquitous that people forget what uyghurs even are and only ever remember them for the marketability of their food and not the solidarity of their shared communities a truly evil scheme that only those dastardly communists could come up with

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

no try to find an uyghur restaurant and report back to us on how genocided they seem to be

its still not clear to me whether the ubiquitous uyghur restaurants were just something specific to the city i was in (hangzhou) or something all the big cities have

I had uyghur food in hangzhou and it whipped. the one surprising part was i heard uyghur folks were fine with drinking beer but none of the uyghur restaurants served beer. they're prob going out of their way to stay halal to bring in business?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

uninterrupted posted:

I had uyghur food in hangzhou and it whipped. the one surprising part was i heard uyghur folks were fine with drinking beer but none of the uyghur restaurants served beer. they're prob going out of their way to stay halal to bring in business?

some of them do serve beer, and some of them have beer in a "hidden" refrigerator covered up by a sheet

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's a new Uyghur restaurant near me in Australia and the menu sounds like they get whole lambs at the restaurant, they have dishes using every single part. "Lamb guts soup", hoofs, things I've never heard of before.

Fresh made noodles, honey stir fried potatoes(?!), lots of Thai chillies and spices, can't wait to check it out

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bald Stalin posted:

There's a new Uyghur restaurant near me in Australia and the menu sounds like they get whole lambs at the restaurant, they have dishes using every single part. "Lamb guts soup", hoofs, things I've never heard of before.

Fresh made noodles, honey stir fried potatoes(?!), lots of Thai chillies and spices, can't wait to check it out

in china the something guts soup are very common in all types of restaurants. chicken, pork, beef, lamb, w/e. it will usually have bits of liver or kidneys, things like that in a soup with some noodles

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1752484337222848697?t=ipveF_Uf8esrbSqJ8L7ksQ&s=19

Yeah I could have told you pursuing maximalist claims in the SCS would just lead to more revanchism

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

uninterrupted posted:

https://guides.lib.ku.edu/uyghur/cultural_differences

quote:

• Alcohol: Uyghurs make a special kind of alcoholic beverage called “muselles” from grapes; the county of Awat is famous for its muselles wines. It’s a very sweet and strong drink.
  • In the north, Uyghurs also make alcohol from horse's milk called “qemiz.”

there's also been recent news of beer festivals held in xinjiang, it's probably one of those things how someone will say they're catholic but they'll still use condoms (FF do NOT reply to this when you get out of posting jail)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ask for the strong yogurt

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
‘Seductive mirage’: US tech diplomat urges democracies to unite against China

quote:

China will dominate the key technologies of the 21st century unless democratic nations band together and agree to relinquish national control over digital policy, according to the United States’ top technology diplomat.

Nathaniel Fick, the US ambassador at large for cyberspace and digital policy, said democracies had been caught out by allowing Chinese company Huawei to dominate the international telecommunications infrastructure landscape.

quote:

Fick said that effectively competing with China in emerging technologies “means really pushing back on notions of digital sovereignty”, describing national control over technology policy as a “dangerous path” to follow.

“In the digital space, I would make the argument that true digital sovereignty is a mirage – a seductive mirage,” he said.

“We are far better off thinking about it in terms of a framework like digital solidarity among our friends, among our allies and partners and those with whom we share values.”

Fick said democratic nations like Australia, the US, South Korea and Japan “need to be really careful not to fragment our markets”.

“We must hang together, or we surely hang separately,” he said.

If we fragment our markets, if we develop complex competitive regulatory systems that essentially make it onerous, difficult, expensive for companies to compete across our markets then we are failing to learn the lessons of that telecom competition that I’ve described.”

it's so good that Americans openly tell their allies that you have to give up on national sovereignty now, we have no other way to stop China, come on dude, trust me

The only thing better is how the targets of this nod sagely and agree that our American alliance preserves our freedom and independence

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

what the gently caress that cretin just went absolute mask off in the bullshit

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

tbf the american vassals keep asking how high when sleepy joe wants them to jump

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

quote:

Nathaniel Fick, the US ambassador at large for cyberspace and digital policy,

it's so good that Americans openly tell their allies that you have to give up on national sovereignty now, we have no other way to stop China, come on dude, trust me

The only thing better is how the targets of this nod sagely and agree that our American alliance preserves our freedom and independence

...the us ambassador for what?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

China is stealing intellectual property, so you better give up your intellectual property, to us!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh, that reminds me of a good post from the auspol thread about australia's sovereignty

Livo posted:

Speaking of shipbuilding here and the new legal requirements of AUKUS...

It's a long but informative read from Nov 2023 so I won't post it all, just certain quotes, but uh, if the guy who helped write the ITAR export laws literally says it's not a good deal and there's major legal ramifications of businesses being criminally liable if they're not compliant, that's a wee bit concerning.

quote:

“It looks like Australia just gave up its sovereignty and got nothing for it,” Bill Greenwalt, former US deputy undersecretary of Defense for industrial policy and one of America’s foremost experts on arms export laws and regulations, told Breaking Defense. He wrote many of the current laws governing both arms exports and defense acquisition while a congressional staff member.

“It appears that the Australians adopted the US export control system lock, stock and barrel, and everything I wrote about in my USSC (US Studies Center) piece in the 8 deadly sins of ITAR section will now apply to Australian innovation. I think they just put themselves back 50 years,” Greenwalt said in an email...

quote:

The president of the Australian Academy of Science’s President, Chennupati Jagadish, said at a Monday night dinner that his organization may welcome closer cooperation between the AUKUS countries, but worries about the new law’s impact on collaboration with other countries.

“It says I can collaborate freely with the US and the UK — which certainly has its benefits — but I would require an approved permit prior to collaborating with other foreign nationals. Without it, my collaborations would see me jailed. So, it expands Australia’s backyard to include the US and the UK, but it raises the fence,” Jagadish said. He offered an example from his own experience of what might change. “For my research group, which consists entirely of PhD students, post-docs, technicians and senior researchers from countries other than the US and the UK, we will need permits for all that we do...

“Thus, I expect the incentives inherent in this draft will reverberate throughout the entire Australian innovation system and likely stifle interaction between the traditional defense industry and the more dynamic portions of the commercial industry to include future interactions with Silicon Valley in the US,” he said. “Why — because now in Australia — if this goes through — technology or knowledge whenever it touches defense, just like it does in the US, will forever taint that interaction. Commercial firms who are leading in tech development (say in quantum or autonomy) will have to make a decision to either entirely be a defense firm or a commercial one.”

That will be “compounded by criminalization. In the US system criminalization has a huge disincentive to move fast on anything as the lawyers take a very risk averse stance on when to do anything that might trigger an issue. Better just to not deal with DoD, and that is what smart companies do. That of course impacts the solutions available to defense,” the veteran acquisition expert said. “I expect this will happen in Australia as well with this proposal.”
https://breakingdefense.com/2023/11/proposed-australian-export-law-meant-to-help-aukus-sharing-but-experts-are-sounding-alarms/

second bolded part basically is the US/UK policy for every country dumb enough to go along with it (finland, germany, basically all of the EU)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Being America's enemy is dangerous, being America's ally is fatal.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Poor Australia...so far from god, so friendly with the United States

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1751248569460482541

what would hong kong do without the foriegn sexpat population

so did the economist intentionally run this article on the same day that the amazon prime series expats with nicole kidman came out or is this just a really bizarre coincidence

just learned that apparently this show is blocked in hong kong digging how the ap article informing people about this neglects to mention that hong kong isnt covered by the great firewall so whoever decided not to stream it there wasnt doing it because the ccp told them to lol

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

The great wall of international distribution rights litigation

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

oh, that reminds me of a good post from the auspol thread about australia's sovereignty

second bolded part basically is the US/UK policy for every country dumb enough to go along with it (finland, germany, basically all of the EU)

Sounds like it will impact Australia's education industry with all the Chinese students too.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

so did the economist intentionally run this article on the same day that the amazon prime series expats with nicole kidman came out or is this just a really bizarre coincidence

just learned that apparently this show is blocked in hong kong digging how the ap article informing people about this neglects to mention that hong kong isnt covered by the great firewall so whoever decided not to stream it there wasnt doing it because the ccp told them to lol

There's been a bevy of articles about the plight of expats in HK and yeah it probably has something to do with the upcoming series and how you can generate clicks and article topics off of media properties. Probably not a coincidence but also not part of the marketing.

As expected expats are very angry about people making fun of the terrible series. Nicole Kidman dancing and singing in a 茶餐廳 is peak expat vibes.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Telluric Whistler posted:

Nicole Kidman dancing and singing in a 茶餐廳 is peak expat vibes.

that scene in the trailer looked like it was lifted out of chunking express

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nicole kidman dancing:

faye wong dancing: