Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

I would not describe 0.3 and 1.9 bWAR (or 0.6 and 1.4 fWAR) as "two good years"

(on half a season's worth of PA per season)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Jays gonna sign a couple 40 year olds and give some guys named poo poo like Brumpbo Tungus spring training invites and call it an off-season.

Don’t hire dipshits who’ve run Cleveland sports teams ffs

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Gerblederp posted:

Jays gonna sign a couple 40 year olds and give some guys named poo poo like Brumpbo Tungus spring training invites and call it an off-season.

Don’t hire dipshits who’ve run Cleveland sports teams ffs

That's future Cardinals Hall of Famer Brumpbo Tungus

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Justin Tuner is how old now, 45?
how dare you

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That's future Cardinals Hall of Famer Brumpbo Tungus

82 wrc+ over 1.5 seasons with the Jays, 160 wrc+ over a 10 year career with the cardinals (195 wrc+ against the cubs)

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the blue jays will be good, and will probably even trade to get a better 3B than kiner-falefa some 3 days before the trade deadline so they can "we tried! lol" this season after he has some .250/.300/.330 season for some 100 starts even though they knew from day one that he isn't a starting caliber player

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

(on half a season's worth of PA per season)
(bad players tend to get reduced playing time)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
1.9 bWAR in half a season isn't the sign of a bad player

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Turner is a glue guy. A very annoying player if he's not on your team. I'm sure he'll kill the Yankees.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the blue jays will be good, and will probably even trade to get a better 3B than kiner-falefa some 3 days before the trade deadline so they can "we tried! lol" this season after he has some .250/.300/.330 season for some 100 starts even though they knew from day one that he isn't a starting caliber player

They don't have much depth and a bunch of old/injury prone guys at key positions (Springer, Kiermaier, Jansen, Turner). Don't forget how healthy the rotation was while they have 3 starters in their mid 30s.

There's not much room for error, since their bench is some combo of Spencer Horwitz, IKF and Espinal. The bullpen should be very good and same with the rotation (if everyone stays healthy).

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
It's not a team of old guys. It's a team with plenty of veteran presence.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
From Ohanti to Turner

:(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Biggest get for the Twins is Gonzalez obviously, physically limited, short corner OF who can hit the poo poo out of the ball but who has some power questions. Could play in '24 for a big league club but probably '25.

Topa's a good mid/high leverage reliever, Descalfani is whatever and Bowen is a lottery ticket with starter upside down the line.

Twins also apparently got $8m cash from the Mariners in the trade as well. I'm good with the trade, I think everyone knew Polanco was getting traded this offseason and getting a top 100 guy + bullpen depth is a good return.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheFlyingLlama posted:

It's kind of amazing to watch the Blue Jays do with IKF exactly what the Yankees did, but also with even more hindsight to benefit from.

(I really like IKF and he's an easy dude to root for but I don't really get what teams see in him.)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Look when you can get IKF to pair with Santiago Espinal you gotta do it. Two players that do the same exact same things while sitting on the bench is better than 1!!!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
What teams see in IKF is: "[any position besides starting pitcher] needs a night off, put in IKF" I think.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Look when you can get IKF to pair with Santiago Espinal you gotta do it. Two players that do the same exact same things while sitting on the bench is better than 1!!!

What if one of them gets injured? The ball scratcher and high five guy two way player is vital to team cohesion.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lumpy posted:

What teams see in IKF is: "[any position besides starting pitcher] needs a night off, put in IKF" I think.

IKF is fine as a utility man. If you have a dumb manager who plays him every day that's a skill issue.

Christ Aaron Boone sucks.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cubs have signed Dick Lovelady

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Bellinger, Snell, Matt Chapman, and JorMont sure are taking their sweet rear end time huh

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Twins gonna swoop in for the Correa Special on Bellinger or Snell with the extra cash they just got from the Mariners

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

1.9 bWAR in half a season isn't the sign of a bad player
good point, in the one season in his 30’s where everyone seems to agree he made an effort to get back in shape, he was not bad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bregor posted:

Bellinger, Snell, Matt Chapman, and JorMont sure are taking their sweet rear end time huh
Teams other than the Dodgers just aren’t spending money this offseason

It feels a lot like one of those years before a labor confrontation

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bregor posted:

I have a feeling the market for Chapman is a lot softer than he would have liked.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FlamingLiberal posted:

Teams other than the Dodgers just aren’t spending money this offseason

It feels a lot like one of those years before a labor confrontation

I think part of this is a lot of teams' finances are a bit up in the air right now with the Bally/Amazon stuff going on. The Twins don't even have anyone set to carry their games yet.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bregor posted:

All four are Boras guys and he's keeping them out until teams start getting closer to their actual asking prices. As an example last I read Snell's only gotten one formal offer (6/150 from NYY) meanwhile he's asking for 9/270. Bellinger's also reportedly still asking for north of $200M.

We've seen Boras do this before, he's extremely content to play chicken in order to get his guys more money and I would not be surprised if one or even all of these guys still weren't signed by the time pitchers and catchers are due to report.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Historically speaking this tactic has worked well for Boras and his guys even if they don’t sign until Spring Training

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yep hell one time he held out Kimbrel until the ASB and the result was that he won when the Cubs finally buckled and paid a premium because they desperately needed a closer. Boras is a good agent and his tactics are good for labor but they can also make for a pretty boring offseason sometimes.

e. honestly the most annoying part is that when this kind of thing happens I see people arguing elsewhere that MLB should impose a strict free agent window for the offseason and I inevitably get dragged into fights trying to point out how horrible that would be for players' negotiating power and would lead to even MORE guys getting frozen out until the last possible second when teams would go "take it or don't play this year I guess, lmao"

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 30, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

"Trent is going to play a ton"
-Aaron Boone

This motherfucker already triggering me and it's not even February.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
As an ally of labor, I love Boras. Take as much money from the owners as possible.

As a Cubs fan and fantasy baseball player, get your loving guys signed you nitwit, I have projections to run!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vlad Jr was revealed as the cover athlete for MLB The Show 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s funny, people love how fast NBA free agency moves but the reason it goes fast is because of the max contract rules.

All the top players are limited to maximum contracts so there is virtually no negotiation on the financial side and no reason for teams to wait and try to drive down a guy’s price or play stars off of one another. Teams know if they want a max contract guy that they have to move fast before someone else gives him the same deal.

The other free agency process that moved pretty quick was Ohtani’s original deal that brought him to MLB. Again, his financial compensation was artificially deflated and leveled by the rules in place, so teams were just competing to convince him and he made a decision fairly quick.

So yeah pretty much all the methods which accelerate the free agency timeline are anti-labor.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I mean that just makes sense, for almost all workers (especially those with skill sets that are difficult if not impossible to replace) the biggest leverage they have is withholding their labor until they force concessions.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What percentage of the league does this even benefit? Three percent? Considering that there are over 700 players in the majors at a given time, it can't be a significant amount. Meanwhile, the union does the bare minimum to protect more vulnerable players. Blake Snell only getting 33 a year instead of 35 doesn't seem like some huge loss for labor in America.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pushing the upper limit of contracts pulls up arbitration awards at the bare minimum. It also serves to create a higher upper bound. If Snell is getting 35, next best guy slots at 30 then 25 etc

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Even at 25 million, we're still talking less than 40 players.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
EDIT: Beaten stupidly

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Pushing the upper limit of contracts pulls up arbitration awards at the bare minimum. It also serves to create a higher upper bound. If Snell is getting 35, next best guy slots at 30 then 25 etc

It also ups the QO.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

Even at 25 million, we're still talking less than 40 players.

So what are you advocating for? Salary caps? Some kind of hard FA window?

I agree that the bottom and middle FA markets could stand to be juiced, but that doesn't require pulling down the top market and in fact doing that doesn't guarantee those saved dollars on top shelf FA's flow back into other players: likely they just sit in ownership pockets.

I've seen arguments for a payroll floor scheme but there's no way owners would agree to that without an absolutely pathetic payroll ceiling to match and even then I doubt you could wrangle it in such a way that enough both big and small market teams would be satisfied signing off on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

So what are you advocating for? Salary caps? Some kind of hard FA window?

I'm just not convinced by "anti-labor" arguments when talking about a small group of players who are already getting hundreds of millions of dollars, especially when the league keeps pushing minimum wage exemptions for minor leaguers.