Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

an egg posted:

today is a blessed day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

an egg posted:

today is a blessed day

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.

an egg posted:

today is a blessed day

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

an egg posted:

today is a blessed day

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

an egg posted:

today is a blessed day

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

We got home at 2 am and he immediately made himself at home. You would never know he just spent 2 days traveling all over Europe. He’s bold and wild and sweet. Scout is so happy to have a friend who likes her idiot cattle dog games.

This is the one second he has stopped moving today.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Instant Jellyfish posted:

We got home at 2 am and he immediately made himself at home. You would never know he just spent 2 days traveling all over Europe. He’s bold and wild and sweet. Scout is so happy to have a friend who likes her idiot cattle dog games.

He seems confused as to why he would

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Getting a load of that dog

an egg posted:

today is a blessed day

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Hello :swoon:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

God he's so CUTE

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Yeah I love his permanent :crossarms: eyebrow

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A strong case of people's eyebrow

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Any good recommendations for toys for dogs that like to shred? Newton doesn’t seem to want to cuddle or fetch his plush toys too much and when he shows interest in them he usually noses them around a bit and then eviscerates them. Letting him do this when he feels the need to Rip and Tear is expensive and from what I understand penguin offal is not good for dogs when it is made from cotton.

The godless beast, enjoying his wretched meal

Last night he found my bathrobe belt and started on that and I tried to redirect him to his bone but that doesn’t hit the same.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Have you tried one of those redestroyable toys that velcro back together? I don't know how well they stand up to determined destroyers

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Chuck-It balls, they are the only chew toy Pongo gets. His Pit mix jaws are…powerful and those deal with the abuse pretty well. Plus, they are great for fetch with a good bounce.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

i own every Bionicle posted:

Any good recommendations for toys for dogs that like to shred? Newton doesn’t seem to want to cuddle or fetch his plush toys too much and when he shows interest in them he usually noses them around a bit and then eviscerates them. Letting him do this when he feels the need to Rip and Tear is expensive and from what I understand penguin offal is not good for dogs when it is made from cotton.

The godless beast, enjoying his wretched meal

Last night he found my bathrobe belt and started on that and I tried to redirect him to his bone but that doesn’t hit the same.

I gave up on giving my dogs any soft toys at all because it always ends in someone eating the stuffing. That said, Kong has some toys that are made to be durable and also have very little stuffing. They still don't usually stand up to the one-two combo of a terrier determined to disembowel any toy and a Labrador determined to eat absolutely everything but they lasted longer than any others. Kong rubber toys are also by far the most durable.

Edit: lol I just spotted the squeaker in the photo of Newton. I wish more dog toys came without squeakers because they're what drive my terrier to murder every toy!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There's some toy made out of fire hose that Brisket got bored with before he killed it

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Tuffy dog toys are good but pricy. They are rated for toughness and we stick to 8/10 or higher. We have a couple that have been around since November. The stuffing seems to be real cotton so if it gets all over the yard it’s no big deal, unlike toys that have polyester filling.

For an ultra cheap option we let our dogs tear up cardboard boxes. It makes a big mess and you have to watch that they don’t swallow too much but they love them.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Joburg posted:

Tuffy dog toys are good but pricy. They are rated for toughness and we stick to 8/10 or higher. We have a couple that have been around since November. The stuffing seems to be real cotton so if it gets all over the yard it’s no big deal, unlike toys that have polyester filling.

For an ultra cheap option we let our dogs tear up cardboard boxes. It makes a big mess and you have to watch that they don’t swallow too much but they love them.

Incredible review here:

quote:

My Boston Terrier has owned this toy for about 5 years, she molests him many times per day and I mean she beats his rear end first then she has very intense sex with him. It helps her let off steam and he is one tough toy!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Joburg posted:

Freja life's a good Amazon box too, we've had to teach her shes only allowed the ones we give to her though.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Only thing that's stood up against my pit-mix that she's actually enjoyed is a Kong with cheese or a bear that Kong makes called a "wubba" we had to remove the ears but the rest is going on a year now.

Edit: this, but we got the bear one.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Only thing that's stood up against my pit-mix that she's actually enjoyed is a Kong with cheese or a bear that Kong makes called a "wubba" we had to remove the ears but the rest is going on a year now.

Edit: this, but we got the bear one.

Wubbas get destroyed pretty quickly around here (I use the water ones for dock diving) but every dog thinks the ball inside is the best ball ever.

https://youtu.be/AnSt-mbdCPg?si=qwigDoJnBZreyD1m

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Wubbas get destroyed pretty quickly around here (I use the water ones for dock diving) but every dog thinks the ball inside is the best ball ever.

https://youtu.be/AnSt-mbdCPg?si=qwigDoJnBZreyD1m

She sleeps next to me while I work. Sometimes she active dreams so hard she'll wake up, goes upstairs, and comes back downstairs to bed with her little bear :3

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Stravag posted:

Have you tried one of those redestroyable toys that velcro back together? I don't know how well they stand up to determined destroyers

I haven’t, do you have a link? It’s probably something I have to make sure he tears apart correctly rather than just letting him go to town on his own but I’d be interested in trying it.

Joburg posted:

He actually has a Rutabaga Rabbit from Tuffy (8/10) and has removed one foot and an ear, and started boring through the side as well. There is a little pile of stuffing every time he plays with it. I think if the dog wants to play tug or thrash it it’s a good choice but any soft toy is not going to hold up to dog looking to chew/destroy it.

Last night he was bored and found my shoe, I took it away and gave him a nylabone that he doesn’t chew on very often because it’s usually in a room where he doesn’t spend a lot of time and that seemed new and different enough to capture his attention.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I haven’t, do you have a link? It’s probably something I have to make sure he tears apart correctly rather than just letting him go to town on his own but I’d be interested in trying it.

I don't have a link i just see ads for them every so often and thought it may be an idea for him

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It was take you baby to work day today. I don’t know if I love his smiley face or little drumstick legs more :3:

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

He actually has a Rutabaga Rabbit from Tuffy (8/10) and has removed one foot and an ear, and started boring through the side as well. There is a little pile of stuffing every time he plays with it. I think if the dog wants to play tug or thrash it it’s a good choice but any soft toy is not going to hold up to dog looking to chew/destroy it.

They're called tearriables (https://www.tearribles.com/) and I have 2 and I don't think they would hold up unless you supervise when you give them to your dog. Mine didn't and it was a bit of a pain to keep putting them back together every 10 seconds once my dog was finished ripping everything off.

I don't have a good recommendation for toys. My dog doesn't eat the stuffing so I just get cheap ones from Amazon and clean up the stuffing once my dog is finish destuffing them.
Then I stuff treats in the husks and my dog goes to town getting them out.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Local baby went to the vet yesterday, is confirmed good and healthy girl.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

We went on a hike with a friend. Small lad is working through some stranger danger so this was great for him. He did 3 miles and ran amok no problem!

Left to right: Gamble, Scout, Gambler, Splash

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

We went on a hike with a friend. Small lad is working through some stranger danger so this was great for him. He did 3 miles and ran amok no problem!

Not Gamble, Scout, Gambler, and Scouter? :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Splash isn't big enough to be more scout.
drat scout is an absolute tank

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Speaking of tanks, my big old lump of a puppy weighed in at just under 35kg recently. She still tries to lay on my chest and sleep on me when I'm laying on the sofa.

Today she yawned while she was there, in my face... And I had the sudden realisation that my face can comfortably fit in her huge gently caress off mouth now. I'm glad my dog loves me because she could really gently caress me up.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i'm cry. look at that gangly little shrimp. look at him leaning into his new mum. what a lovely group!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

HootTheOwl posted:

Splash isn't big enough to be more scout.
drat scout is an absolute tank

She’s also the only girl there. She’ll be 4 end of March and has transformed into 50 lbs of pure beef. I hook her up to sleds and carts to help around the farm and she can haul 2-3x her body weight no problem.

She also finished the year as the #1 fastest cattle dog in the country for the master level of barn hunt and the #8 master dog of all time for her 2023 average. She’s a barn hunt beast. Rocket hog lives for finding rats.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I am so glad that she has you as a caretaker and not, like, someone trying to live in a 1-bedroom apartment in a city somewhere. Or even just someone with a suburban house with a back yard who can give her two walks a day.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm pretty sure scout just has a treadmill for the five hours a day jellyfish has to sleep

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am concerned that my puppy doesn’t like me :(

She wags her tail and runs to me when I get home after being away for awhile.

She wags her tail when playing with me (tug AND fetch!), but she usually only wants to play with me for maybe 3-6 minutes tops.

Other than that she seems morose and seldom wags her tail.

But she LOVES to play with other dogs! She will chase and wrassle for so long. Her tail will be wagging a ton when she’s playing with other dogs. Puppy day care and puppy play dates have been fantastic for her.

She has stranger danger anxiety and doesn’t like unknown dogs or dogs when she’s out on walks with her lead. Heck, she doesn’t even really like being out on walks. She does her business and tries to immediately go back home.

I just want her to be happy! :unsmith:

E: also we have a cat and the cat is super tolerant of the puppy. The puppy loves the cat and wants to play with the cat.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 5, 2024

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My dog had a sore paw. I noticed him licking at it more than normal over the past 24h and eventually managed to get an angle where I could see there's a sore patch on the inside edge of one of the pads. It looks like it's got a minor cut or something, with nothing stuck in it, and when he's licking at it he does not seem to usually be able to get to where this problem actually is.

Given his walking and running isn't affected, and it looks to be small, I was hoping this could be managed without a trip to the vet. I was thinking rinsing it with salt water then putting antiseptic cream on it, is there anything else I ought to be doing or not doing?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

My dog had a sore paw. I noticed him licking at it more than normal over the past 24h and eventually managed to get an angle where I could see there's a sore patch on the inside edge of one of the pads. It looks like it's got a minor cut or something, with nothing stuck in it, and when he's licking at it he does not seem to usually be able to get to where this problem actually is.

Given his walking and running isn't affected, and it looks to be small, I was hoping this could be managed without a trip to the vet. I was thinking rinsing it with salt water then putting antiseptic cream on it, is there anything else I ought to be doing or not doing?

That's what I would do, plus I'd use the cone for a few days so he doesn't lick it.
Then vet, obv, if no improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I am concerned that my puppy doesn’t like me :(

She wags her tail and runs to me when I get home after being away for awhile.

She wags her tail when playing with me (tug AND fetch!), but she usually only wants to play with me for maybe 3-6 minutes tops.

Other than that she seems morose and seldom wags her tail.

But she LOVES to play with other dogs! She will chase and wrassle for so long. Her tail will be wagging a ton when she’s playing with other dogs. Puppy day care and puppy play dates have been fantastic for her.

She has stranger danger anxiety and doesn’t like unknown dogs or dogs when she’s out on walks with her lead. Heck, she doesn’t even really like being out on walks. She does her business and tries to immediately go back home.

I just want her to be happy! :unsmith:

E: also we have a cat and the cat is super tolerant of the puppy. The puppy loves the cat and wants to play with the cat.

I’m not an expert but my (older, 1.5 year) dog that I adopted was kind of the same. He loves other dogs. He becomes a lot more confident when he is around confident dogs. And not always with me. When I first got him he was scared of everything and his tail was always down, until I had another dog over, then he was happy and playful and confident. Then after that other dog left, he went back to being uncomfortable, and he would just stare at me blankly from his crate when I came home. I couldn’t walk up to him and pet him in the yard, he’d either run away or turn it into play so he could run away. But over the past few months of working with him all the time he has gotten a lot more confident and happier around me and without other dogs. After a month of just chase and fetch in the yard (which he also got bored with after maybe 10 minutes), I started doing his training there. He loves training and will work for kibble as long as I want to let him. Every time he learns something new he seems to bond more closely with me. So maybe you need to do new games with her? Also, puppies have an attention span of about 5 minutes so if she gets bored with those games that quickly it’s nothing personal.

None of the changes I saw with Newton happened quickly and every time somebody came over who knew him they remarked how much better he seemed and how much more attention he paid to me, but I hadn’t noticed this because it had been so gradual. What I’m getting at is almost nothing happens quickly when it comes to dogs’ moods and being a consistent and positive force in her life will absolutely pay off.

I’d also recommend finding a good trainer who will come to you for some weekly lessons. Even though i could have read everything he told me online or watched YouTube videos about it, it was super helpful for me to have an expert tell me I was on the right path and give me direction.

post puppy pictures