Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
A little thing I like about Like A Dragon 8: Wealth is that your moves cost more MP in relation to your max MP but you get MP back for doing basic attacks now, which used to just be a thing for “magic” job weapons. Makes things feel more like the other Yakuza games where you build up your Heat gauge by normally attacking.

Combat in general is a lot better. Before status ailments besides poison sucked because they had a non-negligible chance of wearing off after each time you hit an enemy (which, you know, entirely defeats the point of casting something like an aggro drawing debuff), but now they don’t seem to. Also you’re just encouraged to not just mash X or autobattle since you can smack enemies into walls and other enemies, and position your own guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Last Celebration posted:

position your own guys

All the other changes sound good but this elicited a "loving finally" from me. That was maybe my biggest problem with combat in the first LAD. You had all these moves that were either AoE or able to swipe multiple targets or charging moves but you could only hope that in the slow dance your party and your enemies did that you could time a decent opportunity, which was tough because each move had its own wind-up animation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roblo posted:

How does the crossguard stance play compared to the others? I wasn't super planning on picking up the game but those lightsabers are cool.

Crossguard Stance is basically 'heavy' stance. Slower but heavier hitting attacks. The other new stance is Blaster where you... have a blaster and can shoot enemies in between slashes and it looks bizarrely cool.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

All the other changes sound good but this elicited a "loving finally" from me. That was maybe my biggest problem with combat in the first LAD. You had all these moves that were either AoE or able to swipe multiple targets or charging moves but you could only hope that in the slow dance your party and your enemies did that you could time a decent opportunity, which was tough because each move had its own wind-up animation.

dunno if you've played 8, but it's not perfect - enemies will scamper about with gay abandon as you try to line up a move, and sometimes will just happily run out of the AOE you've triggered because your character ran up to them.

moreover, you can't move completely freely - you've got a certain radius you can move in, although this raises with levels, with certain items equipped, or with certain combat stances.

it's a lot fuckin' better than 7 though. combat feels a lot more fun

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

dunno if you've played 8, but it's not perfect - enemies will scamper about with gay abandon as you try to line up a move, and sometimes will just happily run out of the AOE you've triggered because your character ran up to them.

moreover, you can't move completely freely - you've got a certain radius you can move in, although this raises with levels, with certain items equipped, or with certain combat stances.

it's a lot fuckin' better than 7 though. combat feels a lot more fun

Yeah it's a turn-based RPG so I don't expect perfect unlimited movement but giving the player at least some agency in that regard is already a big improvement. All you could do in LAD was use a charging move towards one enemy to hopefully put you closer to the position you eventually want them, but those use a decent chunk of MP to do.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Crossguard Stance is basically 'heavy' stance. Slower but heavier hitting attacks. The other new stance is Blaster where you... have a blaster and can shoot enemies in between slashes and it looks bizarrely cool.

https://www.tiktok.com/@mikey_of_earth/video/7229761802832317738

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Arkham Origins multiplayer was extremely cool and good - 2 teams of 4, Joker vs Bane's gang, and a Batman & Robin team. Gangs win by killing the other gang enough times, Batman & Robin win through getting a certain number of takedowns. Each team had unique gadgets and opportunity to get a super mode where Bane or Joker knock on a door and if you answer it you can play as them.

It was just really fun and unique, I miss it

I never played AO's multiplayer, but I DID play "Gotham City Imposters" for a while. It was hella fun, one of my favorite "sort of TF2 clone" style of games from the late early teens.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

I love the idea of troopers coming across a jedi and preparing for them to attack with the saber - no need to take cover or anything, as a result - and the jedi just...shoots them.

(I think there's a jedi in the lore that actually does this)

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Hell yeah!

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Hel posted:

Was he also the guy everyone pissed on until they patched that away or was that Geoff Keighley?

I'm probably resurrecting this topic but I've had this article saved for years because I find it funny:

https://kotaku.com/people-love-to-pee-outside-conan-obriens-house-in-death-1840884419

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

I love the idea of troopers coming across a jedi and preparing for them to attack with the saber - no need to take cover or anything, as a result - and the jedi just...shoots them.

I assume pretty much everyone who has been exposed to the idea of "Jedi with a gun" immediately thought of the bit from Raiders

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well first they think of Obi-Wan dissing blasters, then they think of the Raiders bit

haveblue has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Jan 30, 2024

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It would have owned if in Attack of the Clones when Dooku draws his saber Yoda just pulls out a tiny blaster and mercs him like the end of Wizards.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Phy posted:

I assume pretty much everyone who has been exposed to the idea of "Jedi with a gun" immediately thought of the bit from Raiders

My first thought is Ezra from Rebels. He just built a stun blaster into his lightsaber :colbert:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Isn't the lightsaber supposed to be like "this weapon loving sucks, and using it removes a bit of the jedi's advantage which means they are more honorable" and then sith use lightsabers and kill jedi with lightsabers to gently caress with them and point out how stupid that is. It also means they have to rely on the force rather than anything else because, again, it loving sucks

Like people point out how trivial it would be to defeat jedi: a three-point laser gun, a shotgun, a gun sidearm, etc. but the point is that the weapon loving sucks. The jedi are supposed to use the force to overcome the huge disadvantage.

jokes has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Jan 30, 2024

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
You'd think they'd use kinetic weapons against a lightsaber; imagine a bullet or a load of birdshot that just passed through a lightsaber blade

And yeah, the lightsaber is a symbol more than a weapon, however, by being a laser sword, it gets a pass for being cool

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's the canon explanation for how Mandalorians were able to defeat so many I think?

You can't really use a lightsaber to block fire, the explosion from a missile, or shot. And not all Jedi are good enough with the Force for a prolonged fight against those either.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Are blasters slow? I can only imagine how fast a gun would have to fire to be faster than a laser commonly being deflected by hand.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Blasters are basically crossbows in terms of firerate and projectile speed. Chewies even looks like one, it's a special variety called a bowcaster. You almost certainly could not block an arrow with a sword with human reaction time... But a jedi could.

Edit: Nearly everyone they fight is going to have a gun because of the blaster arms race. Therefore, blocking lasers by sound alone is the very first thing a Jedi learns, that's what the goofy training helmet is for.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Jan 30, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Blaster bolts travel slow enough that you can see them move across the screen

CJacobs posted:

Edit: Nearly everyone they fight is going to have a gun because of the blaster arms race. Therefore, blocking lasers by sound alone is the very first thing a Jedi learns, that's what the goofy training helmet is for.

:goonsay: actually it's the force allowing them limited prescience so they can move to deflect the shot way early, and furthermore

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah the idea is that jedi/sith can close their senses off completely and be able to figure out the vibes so they can place their sword wherever the laser is, not that they can hear it or perceive it (or where to put their sword) in any other way. It's like spidey senses writ large.

Blasters elsewhere are ubiquitous and destructive/reliable enough that they're the go-to weapon for killing motherfuckers. Bullets, missiles, etc., require a lot more upkeep/maintenance comparatively. The US military would be very eager to be able to keep a wholly contained energy source on a ship, and then have it shoot people for "free" whenever they want without eneding to worry about metallurgy, reloading, etc., and the bigger blasters in Star Wars do hellacious amounts of damage.

jokes has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Jan 30, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

haveblue posted:

Yeah, if I can react fast enough to deflect a blaster bolt, you *know* they're chump weapons compared to actual guns

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

jokes posted:

Yeah the idea is that jedi/sith can close their senses off completely and be able to figure out the vibes so they can place their sword wherever the laser is, not that they can hear it or perceive it (or where to put their sword) in any other way. It's like spidey senses writ large.

Blasters elsewhere are ubiquitous and destructive/reliable enough that they're the go-to weapon for killing motherfuckers. Bullets, etc., require a lot more upkeep/maintenance comparatively

Imagining your space wizard teacher telling you it's all about the vibes is tickling me right now.

"Hey that dude is shooting at you, trust the vibes bro, you got this"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TontoCorazon posted:

Imagining your space wizard teacher telling you it's all about the vibes is tickling me right now.

"Hey that dude is shooting at you, trust the vibes bro, you got this"

It's almost like star wars is pretty dang stupid!!!!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's almost like it's a fluffy space opera and you're supposed to shut up and eat your popcorn.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CJacobs posted:

Blasters are basically crossbows in terms of firerate and projectile speed. Chewies even looks like one, it's a special variety called a bowcaster. You almost certainly could not block an arrow with a sword with human reaction time... But a jedi could.

Arrow cutting isn't insane, I mean they're long, they aren't moving that fast, I presume someone with training could do it reasonably reliably?

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

In Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast the enemies you were supposed to light sabre duel would just matrix dodge if you tried to nail them with the unparryable hitscan sniper. At the time I was probably annoyed that they wouldn't let me game the system, now in hindsight I'm laughing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

Arrow cutting isn't insane, I mean they're long, they aren't moving that fast, I presume someone with training could do it reasonably reliably?

I could believe that someone might be able to cut an arrow's haft in half while said arrow is in flight. I can't imagine that being a useful way to protect yourself from an arrow, mostly because if you're in a position to cut that way with a sword, you're already out of harm's way.

If you want to stop an arrow head-on with a sword, your best bet is probably to turn the sword sideways and try to block the arrow with the flat of the blade, not to try to cut the arrow lengthwise. However, if you have the time to react and move your sword into position, you probably also have the time to choose a better way of defending yourself.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bunting it instead of batting it away was kinda what I meant. It's based on reaction time just as much as anything else and, realistically, I don't think it's all that completely possible to see it coming and react. Which is probably what the midichlorians are for in them jedi what participate in star wars instead of real wars.

edit: There's a Mythbusters episode that has aged quite poorly wherein they fire arrows at a (white) karate master to see if he can catch them consistently, so I will take the loss on this one even though they're pretty slow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U6w-MjbD60

man this show ruled

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Jan 30, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haveblue posted:

:goonsay: actually it's the force allowing them limited prescience so they can move to deflect the shot way early, and furthermore

Leviathan lightsabers! My Jedi Sense is tingling!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Morpheus posted:

I was so fuckin excited about the expanded blaster options in kotor2 that I did my first entire run as a dual wielding pistoleer. Eat poo poo you old bag I'm awesome as hell :blastu:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

That's the canon explanation for how Mandalorians were able to defeat so many I think?

You can't really use a lightsaber to block fire, the explosion from a missile, or shot. And not all Jedi are good enough with the Force for a prolonged fight against those either.

They try to kill a jedi with a missile in one of zahn's books and he just grabs it with the Force

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tunicate posted:

They try to kill a jedi with a missile in one of zahn's books and he just grabs it with the Force

You can do that with RPGs in Jedi Fallen Order. And send it back at the Stormtrooper who fired it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That one jedi pulled a starship to ground so i mean missile probably not that hard. Just gotta nudge it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

That Jedi bribed the writer :10bux: not to put an ysalamiri* on the missile

*Force-cancelling lizard that lives like a barnacle**
**why does my brain remember this poo poo and not double integrals

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lobok posted:

You can do that with RPGs in Jedi Fallen Order. And send it back at the Stormtrooper who fired it.

And in the Jedi Knight games. Or you can just use force grip to hold some poor storm trooper in the way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what I mean. All that stuff can be defended with the Force, but not a lightsaber.

So they mostly just overwhelm them by shooting all of that, and in numbers.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Randalor posted:

And in the Jedi Knight games. Or you can just use force grip to hold some poor storm trooper in the way.

One of the things that I liked about those games is there was a boss who you fought on a platform, who was usually a pretty long and involved fight, but just as the fight started if you immediately force choked, tilted your mouse up, and force pushed within a fraction of a second, it would yeet her directly off of the platform and instantly kill her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's actually a thing in the old EU at least that 'slugthrowers', especially shotgun equivalents, are considered decent weapons for going specifically after Jedi, since at best they can destroy projectiles but not deflect them, and they can't deflect all the pellets from a shotgun. Not exactly a major advantage especially once you lose the element of surprise, though.

Also reminded of one of the Obi-Wan and Qui-gon prequel books, there's one where a young Obi-Wan is made to fight a duel with an actual sword, and he finds it disorienting at first to be wielding a weapon whose blade actually has weight and specific edges, though he figures out soon enough how to use it and adapts his existing skills.

jokes posted:

Blasters elsewhere are ubiquitous and destructive/reliable enough that they're the go-to weapon for killing motherfuckers. Bullets, missiles, etc., require a lot more upkeep/maintenance comparatively. The US military would be very eager to be able to keep a wholly contained energy source on a ship, and then have it shoot people for "free" whenever they want without eneding to worry about metallurgy, reloading, etc., and the bigger blasters in Star Wars do hellacious amounts of damage.

Indeed, thing is with blasters is that they might actually be less accurate than modern real life rifles, but they're gas-powered and can fire hundreds of shots before they ever need reloading- and doing so is often more a matter of plugging them into a pump or swapping out the tank than having to reload individual rounds. Dual-wielding is actually viable with them, though still not particularly practical unless you're particularly badass.

Like the lasguns in Warhammer 40k; they're among the weakest weapons on the tabletop, at least Imperial ones, but in-setting they're cheap as gently caress to make and dead simple to use, are electric powered and can be recharged from almost anything (even throwing the batteries on a campfire in a pinch, though that's not recommended as anything but a desperation move since it destroys their service life) and quite capable of killing a man with one shot. (and of course, bigger las weapons are very, very powerful weapons even for their weight class)

Aphrodite posted:

That's what I mean. All that stuff can be defended with the Force, but not a lightsaber.

So they mostly just overwhelm them by shooting all of that, and in numbers.

It's repeatedly demonstrated in the prequels that Jedi might be harder to surprise than most, but if you manage it, they still die about as fast as everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah I always liked that about Star Wars, just like TIE Fighters, those lovely laser guns are crazy cheap to manufacture and it's worth having a ludicrous amount around, especially when you're not super worried about some possibly mythical wizard appearing at random.

I always got the Jedis not being worried about bullets as more of a reflection of them being able to just not be where the people are shooting.