Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/BillyM_91/status/1752378041987223752?s=20

E: It should be mentioned that no one today is covering Roman Wilson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/BillyM_91/status/1752370825854857275?s=20

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

a neat cape posted:

Chargers definitely need a center

https://x.com/BillyM_91/status/1752369591131525175?s=20

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Is there a more obviously going to be successful OL name then Powers-Johnson?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Not a very good O-line name and I think he's being a bit overrated right now. You definitely want him as a run blocker but the guy is immobile having to turn at all. I don't think fans love immobile centers anymore considering 95% of the football world thinks Kelce is a first ballot hall of famer for whatever reason

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Doltos posted:

Not a very good O-line name and I think he's being a bit overrated right now. You definitely want him as a run blocker but the guy is immobile having to turn at all. I don't think fans love immobile centers anymore considering 95% of the football world thinks Kelce is a first ballot hall of famer for whatever reason

First ballot HoF beard

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Give me Center, Strong-Dick

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Left Guard, Girth - Rod, Alabama

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
we'll just head this off at the pass with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpiP_jN1Pv4

I need to go find the trench battle channel I watched a few hours of last year pre-draft, did great work discussing the various techniques and finer points of the OL v DL battles

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/ff_dirtymike/status/1752373212053123445?s=46

Also Tez Walker is off to a shaky start

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/pff_college/status/1752403182624407876?s=46

What if the Chargers drafted McConkey and Nabers?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/Pro__Ant/status/1752368657945035237?s=20

Deebo Jr?

E: https://x.com/DillySanders/status/1752375516588290537?s=20

I need him.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Good draft to need an OT for once. Jeremiah's rankings:

9 (Joe Alt)

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

trevorreznik posted:

Yeah, my big takeaway from that chart is it's really worth moving around in the bottom of the first if the BPA at the current draft position also fills a void on your team, but going up into the top 5 is very foolish. Belichick is on record saying all teams use the same chart as each other (though probably a different one) so no real chance to fleece anybody.

I'd argue that makes it the situation with the highest likelihood of fleecing someone, if you recognize that there's an inherent flaw in the chart, because everyone else will think you're the chump.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

kalensc posted:

I'd argue that makes it the situation with the highest likelihood of fleecing someone, if you recognize that there's an inherent flaw in the chart, because everyone else will think you're the chump.

That's what happened. Teams used to use the Jimmy Johnson chart, analytics work happened, and smarter teams started valuing stuff closer to that Rich Hill chart, and as far as I know, that's what's in use now generally.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/TampaBayTre/status/1752443566595412210?s=20

If my Packers can pick him up and properly develop him......

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nosre posted:

Good draft to need an OT for once. Jeremiah's rankings:

9 (Joe Alt)

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

(Extremely sincerely): you love to see it :buddy:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I get that there are great OT prospects in this draft class but I find it odd that Olu has slipped so much.

I don’t think there’s a compelling case for anyone (other than Alt) to be a better LT prospect.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Rich Hill chart when used in comparison to someone using the Jimmy Johnson, seems to always always always value trading down. No exceptions. Never trade up.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I get that there are great OT prospects in this draft class but I find it odd that Olu has slipped so much.

I don’t think there’s a compelling case for anyone (other than Alt) to be a better LT prospect.

Taliese is starting to get mocked before Olu

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Rich Hill chart when used in comparison to someone using the Jimmy Johnson, seems to always always always value trading down.

I think the Rich Hill chart is more correct than the Jimmy Johnson chart.

The main confounding factor comes from Blue Chip QB prospects in which case the top picks skyrocket in value.

If I was owner/GM, I’d almost always trade out of the top 8 unless I needed QB or LT (and maaaaybe WR).

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Taliese is starting to get mocked before Olu

I’ve noticed and it’s “effed” up!!!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I’ve noticed and it’s “effed” up!!!

To be fair, I see the vision. Taliese is owning at the Senior Bowl

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think the Rich Hill chart is more correct than the Jimmy Johnson chart.

The main confounding factor comes from Blue Chip QB prospects in which case the top picks skyrocket in value.

If I was owner/GM, I’d almost always trade out of the top 8 unless I needed QB or LT (and maaaaybe WR).

Yeah in this case anyone trading up for MHJ would be massively wrong in value. Basically only ever trade up for a QB.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I do think it's tough to trade up for anything but a quarterback and should almost never involve future 1st round draft picks that aren't at least conditional.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

I also howl at power Johnsons :dong:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

You're right if you're just looking at left tackles, but the right tackles are just really good.. While Olu is absolutely beautiful to watch in pass protection his run game blocking is mediocre. Alt is nearly as proficient at pass protection and miles ahead in the run game. Fuaga is the same thing but on the right side: a half step behind in pass protection, but an absolute wrecking ball in the run game. Then there's Mims who's my #3, who just might be the best tackle in the draft. he doesn't have much film but what he does have is insane. He moves so ridiculously well for a guy that big and his jab is lethal. It's not really a knock on Olu, I'd love to have him, it's a stacked class.

People are bit higher on Latham than I am

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 31, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/dpbrugler/status/1752474839875526976?s=46

Legette and Tez Walker had rough days today.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Jordan Reid said he polled a handful of scouts about who the best prospect was at the Senior Bowl and they all said Tyler Guyton. No Alt/Olu there but it's definitely interesting that he was the consensus pick going in over Fuaga at OT (and the consensus top prospect over Latu and everyone else). Seems like the order the OTs come off the board could still be super fluid

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Olu is still fine and properly rated, I think. It's just that the first 10 or so picks this draft all have huge ceilings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQcdEo0rR48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nqyhdv5bV8

He has a bit of trouble with pass rushing moves and blocking at the second level since he plays so wide. Tuimoloau was kinda giving him fits since he wasn't engaging with the block which Olu relies on in his technique. He sets back in his stance and absorbs while using his arms, which is great if people stay locked in with you but can be susceptible to speed rushers and shifty guys. You'll see him not quite beat speed rushers turning the edge on him which means at the NFL level he's going to have to deal with people who can corner him while also making something out of the move. Michigan was also beating him hard on disguised blitz's which he consistently bit on the inside block instead of taking the outside rusher without having the RB on his side which is just bad. He might as well be non-existent in the second level since he doesn't go out and get people with his technique either. His technique is so sound that I think it hurts him at times. I don't think he's good at improvising his block like Joe Alt. Alt will bend and move and work with who's fighting him. There's a noticeable difference how both of them dealt with Tuimoloau's moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1bXzOvYS7o

Olu's definitely great at taking initial pass rush. He's got good clamps and his arm use keeps people from getting inside him usually. If the block is clear he's good at switching targets to a second target after he completes his first block. More importantly he's huge. It's hard to overlook a 6'6 guy with a great first step and functional core strength which is why people correctly have him as a ceiling pick instead of a floor pick. There's nothing to say he won't pick up the knack but right now I'd rather have Alt every single time.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Also side point beware crowning people based on senior bowl matchups. Huge parts of OL and DL play are dependent on what people around you are doing. It's the same reason why some NBA players smoke each other in practice but aren't as good in game settings. Your blocks completely change based on the direction of the play and what other OL is doing around you. Also DL/OL play is a constant battle all game waiting for a breaking point. You can completely smoke someone in practice on either side and the same play in game could result in nothing or a huge play depending on whats happening around it.

Same thing kind of applies to WR/CB matchups. They're a little bit more legit in pressing and man coverage but again drills miss zone and stack coverage. They can show you how well a guy sticks to the person directly in front of them with no help but the league rarely runs full on Raiders' man coverage from the Al Davis era. Even the best man corners will have safety help over the top to gamble on moves.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Put in for my annual draft day off work, don't have a pick. Don't give a fuuuuuuuck.

At least I'll be able to spend plenty of time looking at the BPA after the first with some level of excitement.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CJVogel_OTF/status/1752773314509001153?s=20

Yeah 55 might not be built for this. Go back and learn accounting or how to code.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Again that's a problem with senior bowl 1 on 1 matchups. Sweat is 6'4 360. There's no way in hell that a college OL is big enough to block that 1 on 1. Even in the NFL Sweat will probably be getting double teams just because of his size. OGs shade inside against NTs for a reason.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doltos posted:

Again that's a problem with senior bowl 1 on 1 matchups. Sweat is 6'4 360. There's no way in hell that a college OL is big enough to block that 1 on 1. Even in the NFL Sweat will probably be getting double teams just because of his size. OGs shade inside against NTs for a reason.

I mean yes, but it is very very funny

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yo, where do we think Brendan Rice will go in this draft? He'd be an awesome fit in Baltimore as a reliable 3rd option who can move the chains and fits the Lamar scramble drill beautifully.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i want to draft that player. the 360 pound fellow. don't draft him in the first 17 picks. that's more than fair

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

If the hawks aren't gonna make a play for Jayde Daniel's I would love a magical trade down and drafting of sweat. We need a big ol boy I'm the center so bad

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

EmbryoSteve posted:

If the hawks aren't gonna make a play for Jayde Daniel's I would love a magical trade down and drafting of sweat. We need a big ol boy I'm the center so bad

I love ‘em big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

I mean yes, but it is very very funny

Yeah he crushed that kid and seeing OL get pancaked will never get old.

When your back is perfectly straight you know you're about to die as an OL.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yo, where do we think Brendan Rice will go in this draft? He'd be an awesome fit in Baltimore as a reliable 3rd option who can move the chains and fits the Lamar scramble drill beautifully.

I was just talking about this in the discord saying that there's like 20 WRs that can all go in the top 100 this year and that Brendan Rice and Malachi Corley would both be fringe first rounders in every year but this.

Rice is athletic as gently caress and crafty. Great route runner and uses a ton of subtle movements to get open which definitely reminds me of his dad even though that's a cop out thing to say I think. He definitely has a knack on the field that you can't teach or is burnt into him from playing with Caleb. He's great at finding the soft spot in zones and coming back to plays probably because he had to do it so much. Watch the Cotton Bowl last year he smoked Tulane on routes and constant coverage break downs. Great hands all around. Snatches balls out of the air and has that looping grab that good vertical threats have to catch deep balls. Great after the catch too, just hard to bring down.

Cam Hart and Benjamin Morrison kind of exposed him though. He doesn't have the greatest acceleration so they were playing him off ball in a squat position that he would have to try to run past. They also weren't falling for his head fakes which made him look a little pedestrian.

Like Morrison was barely moving there and Rice had his head down full steam sprint. He's also not a run blocker. Just can't do it, people blow him up.