Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

lol Ari knew about it. He also knows he's probably THE most powerful person in hollywood so nobody was going to gently caress with his daughter like that, which is all he cared about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Just saw this clip of Vince on Donahue in 1992 pop up on TikTok and I’d never seen this clip or heard of Murray Hodgson before. It’s almost like the problem has always been there!

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8nCYCnF/

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sadly Hodgson was proven to be a liar which was a big blow to a lot of the outrage at the time and the more i look back at it the more mad I'm at him for doing it cause if he didn't lie this stuff could of stuck

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

look I'm sorry, but to my posting friends who have said not everyone knew - it really seems like everyone knew. And didn't do poo poo about it. We're gonna have to make peace with that.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Sadly Hodgson was proven to be a liar which was a big blow to a lot of the outrage at the time and the more i look back at it the more mad I'm at him for doing it cause if he didn't lie this stuff could of stuck

Ah bummer! It’s not like there aren’t three hundred other examples of Vince and Company being terrible monsters even if this one turned out to be false. I do enjoy seeing someone rip into him to applause, though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Goons were shocked when Lowtax was exposed as ab abuser despite it being really obvious, lots of people just don't notice things like this cause it's not what their minds are focused on

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rarity posted:

Goons were shocked when Lowtax was exposed as ab abuser despite it being really obvious, lots of people just don't notice things like this cause it's not what their minds are focused on

Yeah, when he posted about being in the red due to medical stuff I joined the efforts to "save SA" by joining his patreon. Never bothered checking any of the content he'd offered, but I let it charge me a couple bux for a long while. Then when the ownership change stuff was posted I found out that everyone knew he was a complete scumbag a few months after I joined the patreon and I was one of the few still in it lol

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

MassRafTer posted:

Goons in this forum were told time and time again that WWE was an organization full of systematic abuse that covered it up at every opportunity, it was just less important than watching Monday Night Raw.

The whole "watching Monday night raw" part seems suspect, how does anyone actually watch the entire three hours? Its like a parody tv show from
Demolition man or idiocracy, nothing but ads and entrances.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shard posted:

look I'm sorry, but to my posting friends who have said not everyone knew - it really seems like everyone knew. And didn't do poo poo about it. We're gonna have to make peace with that.

Everyone that could have stopped it definitely knew.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Goons in this forum were told time and time again that WWE was an organization full of systematic abuse that covered it up at every opportunity, it was just less important than watching Monday Night Raw.

I think for some, it was because all of it was scattered all over the place in old Observers and clips. The NY64 and it's follow-up collected it all in one place and absolutely turned PSP into an anti-WWE forum.

If you're reasonably new here, the NY64 was a 64-entrant, single-elimination tournament run in PSP in 2018. The goal being to find the most horrible thing that WWE have ever done. It led to a big chunk of people first learning about the Ring Boy Scandal:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876203&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

There was a followup the next year for the worst person to ever be associated with WWE. Oddly enough, Vince wasn't the winner in that one. Nor was it Benoit. It was Grizzly Smith, Jake Roberts' dad and subject of the most harrowing Dark Side of the Ring episode:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904788

Ziggy Tzardust fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 30, 2024

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Organisations model themselves after the people in charge. An abuser at the head of an organisation means that the culture accepts abuse all the way down. You end up with a structure that is institutionally abusive, where whistleblowers are punished and people who do awful poo poo are socially and organisationally rewarded. Whether or not Vince is with WWE, WWE is Vince until it's dismantled or restructured.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can’t speak for anyone else but while I personally knew Vince was a scumbag and a fuckhead, I thought it was just constant sleeping around on Linda and hiring sex workers, I didn’t think it got to the level of keeping a private sex slave that he mentally abused and tormented to try to break her of her will, as well as sexually abused to do the same

The sheer scope of the allegations against Vince are what got me, how monstrous he is and has been, and must have been this whole time. And if this poor lady got a 4 milly NDA, and there is a 7.5 milly NDA out there, I am actively trying not to think about what he did to that person

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

Shard posted:

Just think about how much of his warped sexuality and humiliation kinks were on display in his promotion, on national television. There's no way he kept things quiet backstage in his little kingdom. He didn't have to, he was untouchable and set the culture. I really doubt Brock was the first or only star he plied with sexual favors either

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the NY64 absolutely pushed me out of watching wwe and ive never been happier

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I appreciate Bix adding some detail to the NY64. It certainly pokes holes in the theory that Vince Sr. was nice or honorable or whatever.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
I try to be empathetic to fans that think of Vince as the swaggering owner character they remember for twenty plus years but if you are a real fan, either here or where ever, you had to know Vince was doing sadistic things to people. It's in his nature to bully and humiliate and degrade. Granted even in my imagination I could not think of Vince pulling some of the things he pulled in that document, but I'm not shocked in any sense. He needs to be put down like a dog, or worse.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

anyone have a link to the new york sixty four

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

here brother

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The NY64 definitely opened my eyes to the details on the ring boy scandal that I just didn't know of before hand. I thought the Owen death would win out but the more that I read on it the more horrified I became and ended up swearing of WWE

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was just thinking the timeframe of the mystery payoff stuff would be around when Ashley Massaro's horrible bullshit happened. Although you'd think that would have come up when she sued ten years later

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

I was just thinking the timeframe of the mystery payoff stuff would be around when Ashley Massaro's horrible bullshit happened. Although you'd think that would have come up when she sued ten years later

The wrestler left WWE in 2005 so the timeline doesn't match there.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

E: teh

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 30, 2024

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Edit: you're right.

It is weird and morbid to speculate. Sorry.

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 30, 2024

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's probably not a good idea to speculate about the identity of abuse victims who haven't openly come forward

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah please stop

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/iamjohnpollock/status/1752377549856837689?t=V-qFcGh7mbjVF56OzhF7sw&s=19

Bad apple out, we're all good!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Yeah, now that there are known paragons of virtue running things like "Corporate Officer #1" there's nothing to worry about.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

That's gross and disappointing. I can only hope that Levesque gave such a piss poor answer on Saturday that actual journalists keep sniffing around because there's so much rot left in that organization still .

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Bad apple out, we're all good!

That's the old saying: a bad apple leaves and the rest of the apples are OK.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Netflix already throws millions of dollars at Dave Chappelle to promote homophobia and transphobia, so it's not at all surprising they're willing to keep the deal they made with the rapist company.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Netflix already throws millions of dollars at Dave Chappelle to promote homophobia and transphobia, so it's not at all surprising they're willing to keep the deal they made with the rapist company.

Didn't they put Ricky Gervais' hacky rear end on there too

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't they put Ricky Gervais' hacky rear end on there too

Yeah it's the one where he DESTROYS theists with facts and logic.
https://youtu.be/aB01BL0jVe8?si=XHVN9uKJuUa6fqTD

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Truther Vandross posted:

lol Ari knew about it. He also knows he's probably THE most powerful person in hollywood so nobody was going to gently caress with his daughter like that, which is all he cared about.

Oh he absolutely did. Companies don't make $9 billion purchases of other companies without extreme due diligence. They investigated every inch of that company before they bought it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Oh he absolutely did. Companies don't make $9 billion purchases of other companies without extreme due diligence. They investigated every inch of that company before they bought it.

More specifically, companies don't ignore higher bidders to sell to their friends if they aren't trying to cover their own rear end and protect their power like Vince did, and Ari obliged.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Touché.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Typo?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Douche'

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not surprised this issue was widely known. Companies are terrible places to keep secrets because everything is bragging rights.

I know most people in adjacent industries that use the same venues had a perception that Vince was "whore heavy"(their words) and did more nightlife business than DC lobbyists. And since that's a largely unregulated industry, I wouldn't doubt there's stories about dead hooker coverups given how practiced the WWF coverup of Nancy Argentino was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Another interesting bit from Ari Emanuel I had vague recollection of but had to go find again in the wake of this:

quote:

Emanuel wasn’t done. He took a shot at CAA’s rich $7 billion valuation in French billionaire François-Henri Pinault’s deal to acquire a majority interest in the agency. “We’re worth a lot more and we have more morals,” he said. That was too much even for one of Emanuel’s colleagues. “Come on!” he said. “gently caress. ‘We’ve got morals’? That’s going to come back to haunt you.”