Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Volmarias posted:

I assumed that this was a Christopher Reeves shitpost first, this is real?
Ha, I didn't even make that connection. But yep, saw it in a Target yesterday.

Blue Moonlight posted:

I feel like there’s a profound difference between “big ol’ bad guy for all your guys to fight” and “a horse.” It doesn’t even seem to be a famous horse. It’s not like “Bathorse” or something.

“Oh poor ol’ Super-Freckles, thought of Kryptonite and died.”
For what it's worth the horse does look to have Batman on it, so I assume it's referencing some famous time Batman rode a horse. This is the full-size image where Batman's a little easier to make out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Improbable Lobster posted:

i always hated toys like that because who the gently caress buys all the figures to assemble the last one

An ungodly amount of people. That’s kind of the main selling point of the McFarlane dc stuff

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Knormal posted:

Ha, I didn't even make that connection. But yep, saw it in a Target yesterday.

For what it's worth the horse does look to have Batman on it, so I assume it's referencing some famous time Batman rode a horse. This is the full-size image where Batman's a little easier to make out.

It's from The Dark Knight Returns, the Frank Miller comic about old man Batman coming out of retirement.

Edit: I have a superman comic from the 60s where superhorse (Comet) gets turned into a human and makes out with supergirl, but that one is white. I tried to find a panel from it and just found this:

which is from the New Earth timeline. It was too insane not to share.

Edit 2: nevermind, found it

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Jan 30, 2024

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's from The Dark Knight Returns, the Frank Miller comic about old man Batman coming out of retirement.
That would make sense, since other markings markings on the box you can't see in the picture said that the lumpy ugly Superman is supposed to be Dark Knight Returns Superman.

This channel has a good summary of the Comet insanity, for anyone who has 15 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0pIYlyx2B0

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Knormal posted:

That would make sense, since other markings markings on the box you can't see in the picture said that the lumpy ugly Superman is supposed to be Dark Knight Returns Superman.

This channel has a good summary of the Comet insanity, for anyone who has 15 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0pIYlyx2B0

From Wikipedia, for anyone who doesn't have 15 minutes:

quote:

A very different Comet was introduced in Supergirl #14 (October 1997). This version was originally introduced as a hero with flight and cold-generation powers. Comet's appearance was unclear, as when using his powers he was surrounded by an aura of cold that made him resemble an actual comet. Comet looked like a man with three fingers, horse-like legs, long white hair, and a star mark on his forehead. There was a lot of speculation about who Comet was, but it was revealed that Comet was Andrea Martinez, a gay stand-up comic, who like her friend Linda Danvers (who could turn into Supergirl), could shape-shift between her human and super-powered forms (however, Comet's change also involved changing gender, from the female Andrea to the male Comet).[7]

Also, a sidebar on the wiki where I found the above images revealed to me that Paramount has rebooted Teen Wolf as a series and film. :psyduck:

Also, the DC extended universe includes a centaur cowboy named, I poo poo you not, Charliehorse. This is the weirdest wikihole I've fallen down in a while.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Also, the DC extended universe includes a centaur cowboy named, I poo poo you not, Charliehorse. This is the weirdest wikihole I've fallen down in a while.

If comic book movies were more about characters like this I'd probably watch them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Blue Moonlight posted:

It’s not like “Bathorse” or something.

Sorry, but I immediately thought of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNhhz1yYk2U

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Mehmet Oz ought to sue for the use of his likeness.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If comic book movies were more about characters like this I'd probably watch them.

When's Snowflame, the cocaine powered supervillain, going to get a movie

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Schubalts posted:

When's Snowflame, the cocaine powered supervillain, going to get a movie

Dunno about a movie but he was in the Harley Quinn TV show.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Two horse legs and a pair of hands. Reminds me of a certain video.....

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Charliehorse is an unused Guild villain from Venture Brothers, and I won't hear otherwise.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Tiggum posted:

Dunno about a movie but he was in the Harley Quinn TV show.

What happened to her accent?!

If Harley Quinn doesn't sound like she's trying to do a Cyndi Lauper, it's not canon :mad:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Charliehorse is an unused Guild villain from Venture Brothers, and I won't hear otherwise.

They legitimately had trouble coming up with OSI members for that show because GI Joe had already taken nearly every possible gimmick name.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

ponzicar posted:

Two horse legs and a pair of hands. Reminds me of a certain video.....

yeah with his facial expression, the spare hands and the horse's rear end i def assumed this was gonna be an obviousplant style fake based on some horsefucking joke

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

From Wikipedia, for anyone who doesn't have 15 minutes:
That's, apparently, post-Crisis Comet.
https://character-level.fandom.com/wiki/Comet_the_Super-Horse_(Pre-Crisis)

quote:

Comet the Super-Horse is the pet horse of Supergirl. Originally a centaur in ancient Greece named Biron, he was given a potion by the witch Circe after he saved her from water poisoning. The potion was intended to turn him into a full human but instead it turned him into a full horse. As compensation Circe granted Biron superpowers and immortality, but he was then sealed in an asteroid by a sorcerer who tried to poison Circe. Years later Supergirl traveled to this asteroid and her ship's passing broke the forcefield that was trapping him, and they became friends.
Comet spent most of his time in the comic as a full horse with a human (well, centaur) mind, who was in love with Supergirl but never did anything to let her know he was self-aware. There was that one issue where he turns into a human and kisses her, never tells her who he really is of course, then ends up turning back into a horse and going back to being her pet and "friend".

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Yeah thats someones fetish

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Non Compos Mentis posted:

A lot of comics is fetish. That's why Green Lantern Arissia still creeps me out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just love how completely out of nowhere that is, especially since Krypto is just literally a dog from Krypton.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The MSJ posted:

A lot of comics is fetish. That's why Green Lantern Arissia still creeps me out.

Oh dear.

Never read much DC. That sure is something

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Oh dear.

Never read much DC. That sure is something

I had to look it up because I'm also not as familiar with DC stuff and...

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just so nobody else needs to look up this creepy stuff, according to Wikipedia:

"Arisia is first shown as having a huge crush on Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern of Sector 2814, who ultimately reciprocates her feelings. After being stationed on Earth with Jordan and confronted with their age difference she subconsciously uses her power ring to age herself so that she and Jordan can be together."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Her name's A. Rrab?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I mean does she use that power to mentally age up too? That's.....not as horrible as just physically. Kinda a reverse Peter Pan thing.

But it's comics so it'd probably worse than I imagine.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I mean...at least she ages herself up first. There's that. But they could have avoided all of that by not making her 13 in the first place, like what the hell why was that necessary

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Neelix's girlfriend from Star Trek Voyager is even worse.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Non Compos Mentis posted:

It's also the ol' Gilligan's Island problem, where every plot has to end with a return to status quo so the issues can continue. That era also liked to blatantly recycle plots because their data showed that most readers only followed for a few years, ie childhood.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Neelix's girlfriend from Star Trek Voyager is even worse.

Wasn't she genuinely a different species?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It's also the ol' Gilligan's Island problem, where every plot has to end with a return to status quo so the issues can continue. That era also liked to blatantly recycle plots because their data showed that most readers only followed for a few years, ie childhood.

Wasn't she genuinely a different species?

I mean yes, but Arisia is also a different species. (FYI, humans don't have elf ears. They also don't have yellow skin unless they have Jaundice.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I mean yes, but Arisia is also a different species. (FYI, humans don't have elf ears. They also don't have yellow skin unless they have Jaundice.)

Yes, but her species explicitly aged the exact same way humans do. This was a literal plot point. Geoff Johns later tried to retcon it to "uh but actually she was totally legal in space years" because Geoff Johns made it his career goal to 'fix' Hal Jordan, despite the fact that not bringing it up would make more sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah you can’t really defend Arisa because being a kid that turns into an adult is the entire point of that story.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
In terms of gross cartoon tropes, is Arisa being a sexualized grown-up 13 year-old better or worse than a sexualized 7,000 year old child?

(edited to make the same point but perhaps with better tact)

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Jan 30, 2024

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

In terms of gross cartoon tropes, is Arisa being a sexualized grown-up 13 year-old better or worse than a sexualized 7,000 year old child?

New remake of Let The Right One In is skeevy, which is pretty much the point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

credburn posted:

Here is a simple primer:
If you ever have to go "Well, LEGALLY, it's.." then it is gross and you should stop doing it. Anything past that is just arguing for the sake of arguing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yo she stole Sailor Jupiter's outfit that's messed up

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why does earth have so many GL's seems like a problem for galactic power balance

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PhazonLink posted:

why does earth have so many GL's seems like a problem for galactic power balance

Bugged spawnpoint

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PhazonLink posted:

We didn't know that radioactive paint was dangerous yet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Basically:

There was one Green Lantern, Hal. Hal was a poo poo.

The second choice, social worker/teacher Guy Gardner, was only chosen because he wasn't close enough. Hal found out about that and recruited him to help out until he got hit by a bus saving children. (And then Hal's power battery exploded in his face, throwing him into the Phantom Zone where General Zod tortured him, and in the real world Hal Jordan hooked up with his girlfriend in her grief because Hal is a poo poo.) He basically stays in a coma until Crisis on Infinite Earths where he's recruited but now he has the brain damage/Hal made his life hell so now he's an rear end in a top hat. However he's an effective rear end in a top hat so he's made the Green Lantern of Earth while Hal is off doing Protagonist Stuff.

With Guy out of action they recruited the architect John Stewart as Hal's new backup. John did a good job until his life went to poo poo and he basically left Earth to become a new hero named the Master Builder. This lasted until Hal Jordan went evil, murdered the Guardians and most of the Green Lanterns, and became a new crazed villain named Parallax. This destroyed everything John had built and killed his wife.

Hal, as mentioned, went fuckin' evil after his home town was nuked during Return of Superman. The surviving Guardian found a new kid, artist Kyle Rayner, and recruited him to be the last ever Green Lantern. Guy had been kicked out of the GL corps earlier but got a Yellow Power Ring and kept heroing for a while, turned out he was descended from a space alien, yada yada. For the most part that's it, Kyle is The Green Lantern. Hal Jordan eventually 'redeemed' himself by sacrificing his life and was made the new Spectre as reward/punishment.

Geoff Johns gets a hard on for Hal Jordan as he remembers him from Wikipedia Summaries and brings him back from the dead and blames everything on an evil fear bug living in his head. This also gets all the previous GLs their rings back as well and Guy kind of just stops being an alien. This is obviously to minimize backlash and Geoff Johns clearly doesn't care about any of the characters besides Hal, so he forgets things like "John was an architect" and makes him into an ex marine instead because that is what the cartoon does.

During an event, Hal's ring fuses with Sinestro's and goes to find a new host, Simon Baz, who because Geoff Johns was a Lebanese-America accused of being a terrorist who carries a gun. Geoff Johns pretends like he cares about Simon Baz but he doesn't and Baz just kind of languishes. Also Batman takes away his gun because guns are bad.

Jessica Cruz is a traumatized woman who gets chosen not by a Green Lantern ring but by the EVIL Green Lantern Ring from the parallel Earth 3. She eventually overcomes the evil ring and they give her a good ring as reward. She does a bit better than Simon Baz because DC gave her a stronger push but she's still stuck in "We have HOW many Green Lanterns" territory. "

There's also Alan Scott who is the original Green Lantern but magical and from another dimension except when he isn't. He's gay now because they erased his son, who was also gay, from existence and didn't want backlash. (Obsidian also came back eventually.)

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I like the red lantern that was a stray cat.