Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s really neat, if you go into the folder where it saves the file there’s a log in there you can open and read. It generates an ascii map of what the channel logo looks like and uses that to work out when it goes to commercial and not.

Personally I set it to mark for skip rather than cut out as it’s not always perfect but it’s pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

withoutclass posted:

Pick up an n100 based mini PC. Even supports AV1 I believe.

Edit:

This Beelink is on sale for $180 which is a great deal. I wish I had this over my n5105 version.

I’m running a palworld server on one of these guys and it’s working great.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s really neat, if you go into the folder where it saves the file there’s a log in there you can open and read. It generates an ascii map of what the channel logo looks like and uses that to work out when it goes to commercial and not.

Personally I set it to mark for skip rather than cut out as it’s not always perfect but it’s pretty drat good.

How do you have your DVR library set up? Thinking of doing Stream Master to pass my m3u onto plex.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Pulled the trigger on that used prebuilt Optiplex 5070 Micro.(i5-9600T / 16GB / 256GB m2 SSD).

Got it OBO on $250 CAD down from $330 CAD. Thanks for the protip on used Optiplexes, happy with the price and form factor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

How do you have your DVR library set up? Thinking of doing Stream Master to pass my m3u onto plex.

Alas I don’t really use the DVR much as a bug snuck into Threadfin in the last version or two that makes it think everything is a movie, so TV recording just doesn’t work properly anymore. It’s not being developed anymore so I’m hoping it can be hand fixed when I have some time to look into it.

When it was working, I just had a separate folder setup for DVR stuff and had it save into there, away from downloads.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’m now DVRing jeopardy and live sports off the antenna, which is cool. One thing I’ve decided to do is make a special DVR folder to dump those into. It defaults them into just the TV section and I think I’d like to create a section on the interface for stuff I’m going to watch once and delete rather than hang onto.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can even automate that, it doesn’t always work perfectly but mostly enough. Go to the show entry in Plex and hit edit, then in Advanced you can set criteria for keep/delete. For nightly shows, Jeopardy I usually do the last 3 episodes to air. You can also set to delete after watching etc.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I built a new media pc and the first thing I noticed is plex htpc flatpak performance with 4k content really blows.

I thought it might be a wayland thing but it seems to be this known problem with intel igpus not doing the expected hardware acceleration:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-desktop-on-linux-flatpak-is-not-doing-hardware-acceleration/850675

So that sucks. It's actually better to just run plex in the web browser lol.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Why not just install with your package manager?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
As far as 8 I know plex only provides the HTPC app as a flatpak. At least I cannot find any mention of an rpm or any repos providing it.

It sucks because mpv from rpm plays stuff just fine. You can muck with the mpv.conf in the flatpak but so far I haven't found any setting that makes any difference.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

withoutclass posted:

Why not just install with your package manager?

It could be as simple as creating the menu icon for an application via console might be really hard or, even worse, the htpc software might not even have the permission to look at anything outside its environment.

For the Op, what os and htpc software are you using? It looked like Fedora?

My take on flatpaks is that it looks great on paper, but any containerization can be utter shitters on GPU performance if you are not going out of your way to configure that specifically AND confirming it works.

other people posted:

As far as 8 I know plex only provides the HTPC app as a flatpak.

Plex provides it. now, is it a GOOD release? Different question :)

It's like Nvidia took 10 years to actually make good video drivers as an example.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 29, 2024

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Plex just raised 40 million

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

gariig posted:

Nearing profitability :woop:

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

gariig posted:

quote:

“Plex has transformed itself from a software platform used by consumers for organizing their home media“

lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

"...into a software platform used by consumers to stream Barbie camrips to their friends houses"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Now that I'm dumping stuff on with Debrid, organizing is the one thing Plex isn't doing with my media .

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

quote:

One of the things we’ve already started to prove in 2023 is that we can absolutely monetize some of that data…in a very privacy-friendly way.

I know some of you think I'm overblowing this, but having worked at several promising startups that suddenly found themselves facing serious cash flow issues, I've seen what happens to the corporate moral compass when money gets tight. Reading this sort of statement when they've just raised a bunch of funding is concerning to me.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

cruft posted:

the corporate moral compass

This has never been a thing though, regardless of funding

e: my point with this snarky post is to suggest that “getting funding” is not necessarily an indication of poo poo suddenly going sideways because a corporation is always going to do what it thinks will lead to profitability. Same old poo poo. Until something materially changes there isn’t much point in Cassandra-ing imo.

csammis fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 30, 2024

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Always love being called a Cassandra, classic.

The concern is less so about funding and more so this kind of thing:

quote:

As a result of Plex’s ability to track users’ media discovery behavior and consumption across platforms and services, the company has a unique perspective from a data standpoint. That will be the focus of its future business initiatives, too.

“One of the things we’ve already started to prove in 2023 is that we can absolutely monetize some of that data…in a very privacy-friendly way.

I don't know what to tell people who can read that and still not understand the writing on the wall. Who knows when the breaking point will happen for the average user; but it's naïve to pretend it's not on the way.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

csammis posted:

Until something materially changes there isn’t much point in Cassandra-ing imo.

On the other hand, knowingly and deliberately turning away from 'streaming poo poo YOU own from YOUR hardware' to 'streaming poo poo WE licence from OUR corporate partners from THEIR data centres', to the point where ad-supported streams now account for 'much of its revenue growth', seems like a fundamental material change to their business model to me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
This isn't hard and it's always funny to see everyone get upset every few months. The second it stops streaming my media to my devices I will switch to jellyfin. Until then I do not give a gently caress about VC money or IPOs or whatever.

I do not care if they're tracking my Linux isos or watching habits. My data was sold and mined years ago.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

We all know the good parts of the product will be turned to poo poo eventually, we just don't know when or how stupid it will be done.

Basically streaming / app services in a nutshell.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
This latest plex news prompted me to try jellyfin again. Super simple to set up and the jellyfin htpc flatpak plays 4k just fine with hardware accel on this i3. But by golly is the UI ugly. It seems people have made different skins so maybe I will try to get one of them working.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’ve got both running for now. I need to get my TV tuner set up with Jellyfin to see how it handles that but I’ll definitely miss Plex’s ‘90s basic cable experience that is their streaming TV. A Fukkin Unsolved Mysteries channel?! 24/7 strongman competitions? All it needs is a constant stream of John Hughes movies like TBS had.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

^^ Why Plex will be profitable and us server admins have nothing to worry about.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Well Played Mauer posted:

I’ve got both running for now. I need to get my TV tuner set up with Jellyfin to see how it handles that but I’ll definitely miss Plex’s ‘90s basic cable experience that is their streaming TV. A Fukkin Unsolved Mysteries channel?! 24/7 strongman competitions? All it needs is a constant stream of John Hughes movies like TBS had.

Freely available IPTV that you put on Plex/Jellyfin is basically this. Along with news/weather feeds from every crappy small market affiliate you've never heard of. https://github.com/iptv-org/iptv

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Well Played Mauer posted:

I've been watching the poo poo out of the non-stop MST3K channel ever since I found out that was a thing.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Motronic posted:

Freely available IPTV that you put on Plex/Jellyfin is basically this. Along with news/weather feeds from every crappy small market affiliate you've never heard of. https://github.com/iptv-org/iptv

This is cool - will look into this and try it out.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Alas I don’t really use the DVR much as a bug snuck into Threadfin in the last version or two that makes it think everything is a movie, so TV recording just doesn’t work properly anymore. It’s not being developed anymore so I’m hoping it can be hand fixed when I have some time to look into it.

When it was working, I just had a separate folder setup for DVR stuff and had it save into there, away from downloads.

I have been trying Stream master and its working pretty well

https://github.com/SenexCrenshaw/StreamMaster

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Stream master looked neat, but sadly doesn’t support my system and is missing some things that TF has (after I worked with the Dev to fix them) that I haven’t seen any other stream amalgamator featuring.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

kri kri posted:

I have been trying Stream master and its working pretty well

https://github.com/SenexCrenshaw/StreamMaster

Is there a version of something like this that’s just a desktop app? You can get most of the way there via VLC but the interface and UX is sub par.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

For those of us using Nvidia GPUs for Encode/Decode, they have upped the limit from 5 to 8 encodes on consumer cards - and on some low-end Quadro/RTX cards as well. Which means less driver fuckery to uncap the previous limit.

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. Why are they doing this? Competing with Intel?
I'm not mad, it's rad to see my 1070 become so much more useful.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Hi, and welcome back to the Plex Edition of the Neckbeard Culture Minute!

What is it about home media streaming that turns people into the most passive aggressive 'lords in the universe? The world may never know.

My favorite part of this is the snark about quality being law, followed immediately by misunderstanding the difference between resolution and bitrate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lol where is this from? The plex forums/reddit I presume.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Trash guides and yeah, I saw this yesterday and felt the same way lmao. What is wrong with people??

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Trash Guides.

Like I appreciate the work that went into making them, but jeez louise.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I have no problem with that ATV flowchart entry, the rest ive never noticed. Is this new or something?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
My brothers kid is watching the PAW Patrol: The Mighty Movie for the 10th time this month. How do I set limits to the number of times a single ip can view a movie.
thanks in advanced.

edit: /s for clarity lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I literally don't understand the "don't transcode 4k" thing. I have people streaming remote that don't have the bandwidth, or perhaps not even a 4k TV. Why would I keep multiple copies of things and add complexity to just picking which version/which library to watch things in? Ebay GTX1060 go brrrrrrrr and everything just works. What a nonsense opinion.