Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Dress up is driving me mad. Alisa's T7 outfit has hidden color modifiers for her wings and chainsaws. I can't find which components they get colors from.

This is the preset T7

Next, an unchanged custom T7. It defaults to gold and white wings, and blue chainsaw blades instead of the above.

Customized T7. Somehow got gray wings. It's not gray layered over gold either, but clear gray, though the character select isn't the best lighting to demo that.

I reversed every color change and the hat back to the T7 and the wings were still gray. They only reset to gold when I picked a sweater and then the T7 outfit.

I'm out of ideas. Speak up if your T7 Alisa has other wings! If we could just figure it out, we'd have power beyond your wildest imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Basticle posted:

customizing my jukebox and it's a crime that the console version of Yoshi's T2 song isn't included

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQeumG2Gx_8

This is indeed one of the coolest tracks in the series. Maybe an uncleared sample issue?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dawgstar posted:

PhiDX has a good beginner video that even starts with saying what buttons map to 1234 which not every beginner video does. He doesn't assume you know anything about it, which is nice for fighting game dum-dums like me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58LncnVbXM

PhiDX is a great watch in general. Really good match breakdowns

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

PhiDX is a great watch in general. Really good match breakdowns

Agree completely. Also cares about video presentation and doesn't engage in obnoxious content creator behavior.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I think the craziest thing so far is that I haven't played a single Law and I've already seen a Kuma. Maybe it's cause I've only been accepting 5 bar matches..... One of the big things I've always liked about tekken is the big roster and generally good balance + the fact that characters require a lot of dedication means you see a ton of different opponent characters each session. Playing SF6 it felt like 90% of my matches were against 4 characters and 50% of that was just against Ken.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I think the only characters I havent fought against at least once are Shaheen and Feng.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ive seen fengs. Mfers spam lows like no one else

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't have the mental fortitude to grind ranked and I'm a lab monster anyway so I give myself a hard out -- on my second match loss in a season, even if it's 0-2, I will stop, study my losses, and go into practice mode for a while and train something that I learned

unattended spaghetti posted:

Agree completely. Also cares about video presentation and doesn't engage in obnoxious content creator behavior.

He's into the YouTube thumbnail meta but that's probably unavoidable in 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't have the mental fortitude to grind ranked and I'm a lab monster anyway so I give myself a hard out -- on my second match loss in a season, even if it's 0-2, I will stop, study my losses, and go into practice mode for a while and train something that I learned

Sometimes it can be nice to have a visual impairment hahah.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Honestly it is. If you're not looking like you're having an aneurysm, the Algorithm will knock you back and if one video doesn't do well then the ones that follow don't do well because they don't get promoted, and etc.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Autsj posted:

Reina and Kazuya do not need to hit the down because their wind/mist step counts as a down input. DJ and Jin do need to hit the down.

I thought something was funky when I gave Jin a try, this explains it.

I gave Victor a try because he's crazy easy to pickup, with a repeat df4,2 combo that doesn't need practicing. I'm sure there's more depth there but the huge range and counter-hit sweep will take you pretty far. Unfortunately playing with him for a day made me lose all my Reina muscle memory. I wish it didn't take me so long to switch between characters, I'd like to give my old main Feng a try too.

Real hurthling! posted:

Ive seen fengs. Mfers spam lows like no one else

Hell yeah! But now my main is Reina so I've been cut off from the quality lows. Nothing like a good db4 to suddenly pop your opponent's shins from across the screen and get them proper frustrated.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 30, 2024

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
Getting absolutely dumpstered by a 20 year veteran arisen King master is the most hilariously enjoyable loss I've ever endured in a fighting game. I was way too busy being excited at the revelation of what hilariously violent thing he was about to do to me to get salty.

I think this mfer just infected me with King Main Curiosity.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sinatrapod posted:

Getting absolutely dumpstered by a 20 year veteran arisen King master is the most hilariously enjoyable loss I've ever endured in a fighting game. I was way too busy being excited at the revelation of what hilariously violent thing he was about to do to me to get salty.

https://twitter.com/SoulDrainer_/status/1751740042958062063

Big Bizness posted:

This is indeed one of the coolest tracks in the series. Maybe an uncleared sample issue?
Namco seem to have totally disavowed the PSX Tekken 2 soundtrack - you can get both Arcade and PS2 versions of the Tekken 3 and Tag soundtracks on Spotify, but T2 PSX is nowhere to be seen

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't stop playing Tekken. Seemed questionable to keep playing when my 8 year old daughter started watching (more worried about body image than violence imo) but she's entranced by watching me play. She remarks that some of the other players have really strange names.
At this point, I notice I'm playing against xXMilfMilker69Xx

Orv
May 4, 2011
I honestly can’t even decide which joke to make. Between costumes and fgc names - both the profane and the deep cuts - that’s gonna be a wild ride for any kid.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

https://twitter.com/SoulDrainer_/status/1751740042958062063

Namco seem to have totally disavowed the PSX Tekken 2 soundtrack - you can get both Arcade and PS2 versions of the Tekken 3 and Tag soundtracks on Spotify, but T2 PSX is nowhere to be seen

I'd have to go look at it track by track but the jukebox is only missing a handful of tracks from it since T2 reuses a lot from T1 but the glaring omissions are yoshis and Black Winter Night Sky so maybe it is vocal licensing issues.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Thank goodness they kept Fiji (Roger/Alex theme) for me to use on the character customisation screen. I think I use Tekken 2 more than any other games OST in my jukebox, game has mad nostalgia for me.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Like half my matches have been Reina or King. The rest a wide variety. Think I might try out Law, I always get a kick out of Bruce Lee clones.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Reina has been my most common opponent but there’s been a decent variety. That said I still haven’t faced a good half the roster either way.

Law has been extremely oppressive in the matches I’ve fought him.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Honestly from what I’ve been seeing almost every “top of mid tier” fan favorite got some nice buffs and especially a lot of people’s weirder or high execution stuff got some heavy leniency. Not that I object to that, Tekken is already kind of a cliff before you take DSS or chain throws or *gestures at all of Lee* but it does seem to mean that characters who were borderline scary are now just scary.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen any Bryans yet :supaburn:

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I wish I was cool enough to do taunt jet upper bullshit

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm surprised how few Victors I see.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I've seen a lot of victors. People trying whats new I suppose. I do think he's a really lame waste of a newcomer slot. He's like what a kid would scribble in notepad if they were designing what they thought was a cool character. He really looks goofy already then you see his rage art and its like some Bushido Blade poo poo. Just incongruous styling all around.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Seltzer posted:

He's like what a kid would scribble in notepad if they were designing what they thought was a cool character.

So a Tekken character.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

brainSnakes posted:

I wish I was cool enough to do taunt jet upper bullshit

He lost his most potent knockdown tool that was a setup for TJU anyways so it's just all in on taunt b4 or taunt db1+2.

RE: seeing a lot of characters, my play session last night was almost entirely Ravens. Not exaggerating I think out of 20 opponents 15 were playing Raven.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Orv posted:

So a Tekken character.

eh nah. Some of them are poorly designed but playing Bryan vs Law feels like tekken. Geese vs Noctis just feels off. Victor is closer to Noctis than a character that feels like it fits the tone of the game. Lidia last year was a great addition for example.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean there are definitely characters that fit the more like, grim, grounded aesthetic of Tekken which is definitely part of why I've always felt like it's cooler or 'more real' than other fighting games. But this is also a series where a man with a jaguar head is a Mexican professional wrestler and the main conflict in the story is that some people just genetically have a bit of Satan, The Devil in them. Bryan is a cyborg but also kind of a zombie and he's Real Mad. It's an inherently dumb series and the head of a ninja assassination clan being some posh, John Wick French guy feels pretty on point.

That's subjective, of course but I'm definitely in camp it works.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I think Victor is stupid. Doubt character prevalence really matters right now while the ranks sort themselves out. Early days and all that.

I'm spending too much time thinking about Tekken as opposed to playing it. Should probably remedy that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Raven seems cool. What's the gameplay difference between him and Victor other the flashy clone stuff

Orv posted:

I mean there are definitely characters that fit the more like, grim, grounded aesthetic of Tekken which is definitely part of why I've always felt like it's cooler or 'more real' than other fighting games. But this is also a series where a man with a jaguar head is a Mexican professional wrestler and the main conflict in the story is that some people just genetically have a bit of Satan, The Devil in them. Bryan is a cyborg but also kind of a zombie and he's Real Mad. It's an inherently dumb series and the head of a ninja assassination clan being some posh, John Wick French guy feels pretty on point.

That's subjective, of course but I'm definitely in camp it works.

The ninja assassination clan is a different one, that's also the one where the cyborg zombie massacred most of them to steal their source of infinite energy

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 30, 2024

RME
Feb 20, 2012

It’s all going to be irrelevant when the kangaroos come back anyways

Orv
May 4, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The ninja assassination clan is a different one, that's also the one where the cyborg zombie massacred most of them to steal their source of infinite energy

Ah yes, how silly of me.

RME posted:

It’s all going to be irrelevant when the kangaroos come back anyways

If there's gonna be 10 years of Tekken 8 we better get Gon back.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Orv posted:

but it does seem to mean that characters who were borderline scary are now just scary.
Reliable DSS was my skill ceiling for Law in T7 so being able to access it on a whim now has meant I can basically pick up where I left off when learning him in 8. He feels gooooood. Post-DSS options feel like being able to do Deejay EX sway mixups in a 3D fighter.

Also I beat the story today and the final fight had me pogging out like nobody’s business. The Tekken 3 Moment is probably the best thing single player fighting games have ever given us.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Orv posted:

Ah yes, how silly of me.

If there's gonna be 10 years of Tekken 8 we better get Gon back.

Gon is actually a licensed/crossover char so his rear end is dead forever

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just played Practice Mode for a few minutes, am I crazy or did they change King's 5 throw combo that starts with SS 2+4 so you can just complete the entire chain with spamming 2? I got all 5 out, but wasn't sure if it was some sort of practice mode assist.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The thing I didn't like about Victor's design (besides the oppressive nature of facing him) was the comical amount of weapons he's taking. He's a bit too cyber to pull off the John Wick thing. Like come on dude, the other guy's just punching, you don't need two knives, a huge cyber sword, guns, and an energy bomb thing and teleportation cyber magic.

That is until I dressed him up like JC Denton. Then his huge cyber arsenal, weird cyber attacks, and constantly talking about the UN all just made sense. Also I realized that guy is tall.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RME posted:

Gon is actually a licensed/crossover char so his rear end is dead forever

Well, poo poo.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Medullah posted:

I just played Practice Mode for a few minutes, am I crazy or did they change King's 5 throw combo that starts with SS 2+4 so you can just complete the entire chain with spamming 2? I got all 5 out, but wasn't sure if it was some sort of practice mode assist.

Yes, and you can spam 1 or 2 through DF 1+3 too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I’m
Finally winning matches mainly because it’s matching me with people as bad as me after losing like 5 matches in a row

But man was it cool to see a good Alisa just completely destroy me flying around the screen with chainsaws. Forgot what game I was playing for a bit

Also switched from Reina back to Yoshimitsu. Yes he’s hard yes he’s weird but come on. Sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sword is cool but have you considered sword helicopter?

Honestly the weirdness is the draw of Yoshi I feel like. He and Lei are just there to have a good time, not a long time.