Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I like half and half sinks, dirty dishes go in one half to soak, they get moved to the other half as they are soaped up and scrubbed until it is full, then those get rinsed and put in the drying rack. Much quicker than having to do wash->dry->wash->dry over and over again, at least for me, and it means that the rinse sink logistically needs to stay empty (and thus remains usable for other things like straining stuff or rinsing veggies or whatever) even as the dirty dishes accumulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

60/40 sink crew checking in. My wife uses the 60 side for dirty dish storage (:confused:) and she's banned from doing the same with the 40 side so I can actually use the sink to rinse stuff off or do stuff the sink was intended for. I don't know where she picked up this habit but I'm determined to not let my kids learn it

I absolutely HATE that. We have a goddamned dishwasher RIGHT THERE *points*. Just put them in there; I'll even run the thing once it's full, just don't stack the sink so high I can't rinse anything off or use the faucet!

:rant:

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Ours is more of a 70/30 split. The big one's big enough for a half sheet pan to go flat, the smaller one is still big enough to float the stock pot to cool down a big batch of something.

The revelation with this one was the racks at the bottom ("rinse grids?") like these:

Keeps a level base for working but allows drainage, and also lets you stand up a cutting board on its edge to drain and keep it from sliding down. It will occasionally hook a piece of flatware, but that's why that stuff goes in the dishwasher.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So I got my 2024 Escrow Statement and I'm guessing it's probably like you guys said and Mr Cooper just messed up in a way there really is a shortage that I have to deal with. However I have a hard time making sense of it. Would anyone mind looking it over real quick just to confirm this isn't an error? Seems like it would be wise just to double check before I pay the shortage back but I can't make enough sense to tell.

The part hurting my brain is last year there was a surplus and I got a few hundred back. Nothing changed as far as my insurance/taxes and now there's a shortage? And it's not like my payment went down that much after the last years surplus so I guess I'm just not understanding where the full 2k of shortage came from. I'm probably just thinking of it wrong but as I said I don't think it would hurt to have someone who knows this stuff give it a quick glance.

Whoever is willing to do so and can confirm one way or the other, I'll purchase a forums upgrade for your trouble

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We've had a 50/50 sink for the last 11 years and there's just a ton of stuff I had wash and let dry in the second sink versus throwing in the dishwasher. We're moving to a single 33in wide farmhouse sink and I'm definitely worried it's just not going to fit my needs.

I'm just hoping that I can get used to putting more stuff in the dishwasher and when we need to let stuff dry off we can put a rack in the sink on the opposite side of the drain.

Kohler does has a divided farmhouse sink that is appealing but ultimately we're not going to do it: https://www.kohler.com/en/products/...27?skuId=6427-0

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

I wonder if my municipal code allows for water powered backup pumps.

Provided that you're on municipal sewage and not a septic system:

Don't check the code, don't ask the municipality, and don't ask them to inspect the install. This is a 'they'll never find out' situation, and one where you're not causing a risk to anyone.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 30, 2024

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I could use some recommendations on fire alarms after fighting now 3 defective First Alert 10 year combo fire/co2 alarms.

The first I thought was just a dud and I didn't give it much thought. After having 2 now randomly go off in the middle of the night with a toddler and newborn who just managed to go down, I am now banning them from my house.

These are going right back to Costco for a refund.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I could use some recommendations on fire alarms after fighting now 3 defective First Alert 10 year combo fire/co2 alarms.

The first I thought was just a dud and I didn't give it much thought. After having 2 now randomly go off in the middle of the night with a toddler and newborn who just managed to go down, I am now banning them from my house.

These are going right back to Costco for a refund.

Did you buy all of them at the same time? Probably a bad day at the factory - that's not a satisfying excuse but I've had that happen on other detectors (the zwave combo smoke/co ones).
Also, are these new detectors in new places? Or did they replace previously working but aged out detectors? Lots of time people install detectors in new places (or just more sensitive ones) and get false alerts over environmental factors - for photelectrics that's usually dust perhaps from forced air heating or similar.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah purchased all at the same time and place. I considered it being a bad batch and maybe that's just what's happening.

Location wise they're in the same place as the previous non 10 year battery models.

No dust or humidity issues I could see either.

From looking around it seems anecdotally at least that people have more issues with the 10 year battery models.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well that's interesting, one of the 10 year First Alert combo alarms that I bought in that same Costco two pack has been having false alerts as well. Maybe a flaw in that model? I swapped the bad and the good one, and it's going off in the new location too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Amazing that a supposedly highly regulated life safety products can be like this, but firsat alert seems to pull it off on multiple models of detectors over decades. I would not own any first alert garbage if it weren't the only thing compatible with my central station system (Abode - which is drat near abandonware at this point).

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Any suggestions on ways to stop birds from running into big glass windows? We've got 2 windows that we need to do something about and are looking for the more unobtrusive options. Ideally one that doesn't need me to drill into the outside of the house given how high up it is and potential for water intrusion.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Put something on the window that makes it parse as an obstruction, not a big empty spot.

Stickers are the usual go to.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

I absolutely HATE that. We have a goddamned dishwasher RIGHT THERE *points*. Just put them in there; I'll even run the thing once it's full, just don't stack the sink so high I can't rinse anything off or use the faucet!

:rant:

:same:

I've very casually done the mental math of cost of marriage counselor vs paying someone to come to the house and do The loving Dishes I bet they're about the same :allears: I'd do them myself but I already do all the other chores gotta draw a line somewhere

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Spikes32 posted:

Any suggestions on ways to stop birds from running into big glass windows? We've got 2 windows that we need to do something about and are looking for the more unobtrusive options. Ideally one that doesn't need me to drill into the outside of the house given how high up it is and potential for water intrusion.

I have used Feather Friendly at my mom's place where she had multiple strikes, like one a day, with multiple fatalities. Since putting it on two years ago, zero strikes. It really does work.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We had corridors walled with glass that ran between buildings when I was at university. The maintenance staff stuck these huge silhouettes of owls with their wings flared on the glass which scared off the strikers

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks all this is helpful. We'll probably go with the feathered friend option and I'll report back.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm thinking of switching insurance carriers. Our original quote had a replacement cost that was close to the replacement cost that was indicated on our appraisal, but the appraisal's out of date now, and I'm not convinced that my current carrier has been adequately keeping up with inflation in my area. Is it worth getting an appraisal prior to shopping around?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

StormDrain posted:

Yeah but I do need to hand wash some stuff with soap like my cast iron pans.

This is violence

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Got two quotes for gutter cleaning: $350 and $150.

I realize that for some things like tree removal, you definitely need to make sure you have bonded/insured people. Is gutter cleaning the same? Would there be any reason to be leery of the cheaper option? What happens if they fall off my house?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

redreader posted:

What happens if they fall off my house?

If they're not insured it's your liability. Or close enough that you can expect to have a claim put against your homeowners policy/get sued.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Are there any good resources for pricing out home renovation projects that don't involve having someone come out to give a bid? We are in the very early stages of planning what we want to do next for our house but realistically the earliest we'd start any major renovations would be 2-3 years from now. I don't want to waste anyone's time but if that's the only way to get quotes so we can have rough estimates our next project then that's what I'll have to do.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Struensee posted:

This is violence

There is zero issue cleaning cast iron pans with soap

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LG Fridge died for the second time. I'm not even dealing with fixing it this time. Last time it took 2 weeks to have LG fix it as there was 1 guy that does all the repairs in the Austin and San Antonio area. Of course it died 6 months after the extended warranty ran out. Looked online, people are still complaining about their compressors failing almost 6 years later. Even if it gets fixed again I won't trust it. This was one of the highest ranked Consumer Reports refrigerators in 2017/2018.

It stopped cooling about 2 years after I first got it, they came out and replaced a clogged filter drier. I caught it early and the compressor was supposedly still good. It's been making a different noise the last week or so, I wake up this morning, inside of the fridge is 56 degrees.

Ordered a new Frigidaire that my wife liked this morning for delivery Friday. Everyone I know has had good luck with Frigidaire/Electrolux appliances, so maybe this one will last more than 5 1/2 years.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

cosmic gumbo posted:

Are there any good resources for pricing out home renovation projects that don't involve having someone come out to give a bid? We are in the very early stages of planning what we want to do next for our house but realistically the earliest we'd start any major renovations would be 2-3 years from now. I don't want to waste anyone's time but if that's the only way to get quotes so we can have rough estimates our next project then that's what I'll have to do.

Are these 'projects' or 'renovations'?

If you are looking at work that will require management of trades ('general contracting') reach out to design-build companies. They should be able to pitch you a design agreement to cover some amount of design development now that will include budgets. You can go all the way to pricing documents (or even construction documents) or pause earlier in the process (they might call it 'concept' or 'sketch' or 'schematic') and hold until you're closer to performing the work to complete the design process.

If you just need a toilet replaced or some painting done, call trades directly. Lay out your schedule and the fact that you are just looking for broad numbers, if it's simple enough they can give that kind of information over the phone. They may ask to come out and look as a way to build rapport. You expect honesty from the people you hire, so be honest with them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

There is zero issue cleaning cast iron pans with soap

I also disagree with using soap on cast iron, but everyone is different

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
As with all home tasks, the answer is to create a good, thick lather of salmon grease. Keeps your pan fishy fresh.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?

skipdogg posted:

LG Fridge died for the second time. I'm not even dealing with fixing it this time. Last time it took 2 weeks to have LG fix it as there was 1 guy that does all the repairs in the Austin and San Antonio area. Of course it died 6 months after the extended warranty ran out. Looked online, people are still complaining about their compressors failing almost 6 years later. Even if it gets fixed again I won't trust it. This was one of the highest ranked Consumer Reports refrigerators in 2017/2018.

It stopped cooling about 2 years after I first got it, they came out and replaced a clogged filter drier. I caught it early and the compressor was supposedly still good. It's been making a different noise the last week or so, I wake up this morning, inside of the fridge is 56 degrees.

Ordered a new Frigidaire that my wife liked this morning for delivery Friday. Everyone I know has had good luck with Frigidaire/Electrolux appliances, so maybe this one will last more than 5 1/2 years.
Hoping to squeeze another 4.5 years out of my new compressor since the last one lasted 4.5 years, but I'm pretty much never buying an LG appliance again, even though I know every brand is poo poo. This is just the particular one that hosed me.

Hadlock posted:

I used to, and still usually clean it by dumping in some water when it's still hot and giving it a scrape, but sometimes when that doesn't work, it gets a little soap on the scrub brush. And it's fine. It's also got like 15 years of use, so it's not like I'm going to scrape off brand new seasoning.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 30, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

I used to, and still usually clean it by dumping in some water when it's still hot and giving it a scrape, but sometimes when that doesn't work, it gets a little soap on the scrub brush. And it's fine. It's also got like 15 years of use, so it's not like I'm going to scrape off brand new seasoning.

I have to assume the "never use soap on cast iron" crowd just got theirs/it's not well seasoned.

Pretty sure I could put mine through a dishwasher cycle and it would come out fine. Of course I've had the same pans - which get multiple times a week use - for decades. And they rarely get more than a wipe down with a kinda soapy sponge. Unless they really need it, and then I've got absolutely zero problem giving them all the soap.

I've got a new cast iron griddle and yeah......no soap can be anywhere near it. It's got a lot of seasoning left to go.

Edit: Does the "no soap" crowd not know about putting the pan back on the stove after cleaning and turn it back on long enough to drive off the water? Like whether you use soap and water or just water. People who don't live in swamps and river valleys may not need this step.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 30, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've only had mine for like 1.8 decades but typically 20 seconds with the flat edge metal burger flipper and a splash of water will remove the worst of the crusties. Very occasionally it'll need a soak

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hadlock posted:

But cast iron isn’t different

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The never use soap on a cast iron skillet and never washing raw denim jeans crowd is a perfect circle

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hadlock posted:

I've only had mine for like 1.8 decades but typically 20 seconds with the flat edge metal burger flipper and a splash of water will remove the worst of the crusties. Very occasionally it'll need a soak
If you ever make pineapple upside down cake, you may reconsider that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I think a lot of the "no soap on cast iron" stuff comes from old soap formulations which had significant amounts of lye still present. The surfactants in something like Dawn won't do anything to seasoned cast iron even if you soak it, but lye will actively eat away the coating in a matter of seconds via alkaline hydrolysis.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I think a lot of the "no soap on cast iron" stuff comes from old soap formulations which had significant amounts of lye still present. The surfactants in something like Dawn won't do anything to seasoned cast iron even if you soak it, but lye will actively eat away the coating in a matter of seconds via alkaline hydrolysis.

That's my understanding as well. It used to be good advice when soaps were traditionally harsher but is no longer the case with most dish soap.

That said usually just a wipe down with a paper towel is enough for my pans and I rarely need soap. We ditched most of our cookware for cast iron years ago and it all sees heavy use.

Also true to for I bought a new two pack of first alert fire alarms and one was dead out of the box. It's all they had at the local hardware store unfortunately.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Shifty Pony posted:

A lot of it probably comes from hobby home cooks who use theirs once a month and own a kiss the chef apron

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I know when I was first getting used to cast iron I confused carbonization with seasoning, so my pan was covered with flaky crust that I would attempt to keep on. I know better now.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

cosmic gumbo posted:

as part of my current addition project, I just emailed the architect's drawings to a few GCs and they provided ballpark +/- 10K numbers based on those. If you don't have an architect, I highly recommend having one.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i soak my cast iron pans overnight in a bathtub filled with undiluted dr bronner's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i soak my cast iron pans overnight in a bathtub filled with undiluted dr bronner's

Ye gods!

That's where I've been soaking my balls!