Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i assume crab dad's IT remit is actually wider at this point but i am amused at the notion of the navy keeping people on graveyard shift in case of an urgent wee hour of the morning emergency need to print something

If only anything as exciting as a malfunctioning printer will happen from my perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Crabdad is part of the printer QRF; if any ship in the exercice has a printer malfunction the onboard crew can’t resolved, he gets airlifted to the ship that needs help, Hunt for Red October style.

You think that goon who carried a printer across town to help out a girl was heroic? Try jumping off a helo and swimming to a submarine with a box of toner on your back.

o7

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I wish we had had a crabdad, we dumpster dove printers from the tender's trash in Guam because they were in better shape than ours.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We had a very decent MFP that actually worked most of the time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I wish we had had a crabdad, we dumpster dove printers from the tender's trash in Guam because they were in better shape than ours.

We still do that in the yards…

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well I don't know about "omelette", but that was a tasty pile of fried rice with a thin layer of egg draped over the top.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well I don't know about "omelette", but that was a tasty pile of fried rice with a thin layer of egg draped over the top.

Ah, the fabled omurice.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i assume crab dad's IT remit is actually wider at this point but i am amused at the notion of the navy keeping people on graveyard shift in case of an urgent wee hour of the morning emergency need to print something

I've gotten phone calls in the middle of the night from IMA who had a boat up on chat that was chilling out bobbing on the surface. Our loving customer support center who is supposed to handle this poo poo just tapped out and gave them my personal phone number. It happens.

I was kinda pissed, but we got it taken care of.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Wingnut Ninja posted:

wow more rice than could fit in the omelette

homie hooked u up

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Elviscat posted:

When I stood CDO at Bangor I had two jobs:

1: print out "important" emails, so we know the printer still works I guess?

2: Get personal calls from O5s and O6s yelling at me for typos in the daily email.

I'm cdo this week. I draft sitreps when needed. This consists of changing some dates and times in a template, then sending it to the XO who fills out the summary

The xo then sends it back to me. Then I send it to the duty IT who then sends it to some messaging gateway because it's the past.

The duty IT sends me the copy that the messaging gateway sends back to him and I send it to the XO.

Edit: I also have a real life working one way pager. No one under 35 knows what this is

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 31, 2024

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Laranzu posted:

Edit: I also have a real life working one way pager. No one under 35 knows what this is

Holy poo poo, I didn't know "1995" was an available duty station.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I was standing quarterdeck watch at building 518 in Groton while on shore duty. I was a second class and the evening shift was basically just sitting there trying to stay awake. Like most watches.

I got relieved and went home, came back the next morning to find some chief on the quarterdeck screaming at me about not standing a proper watch. My chief was just coming out of the elevator so he grabbed me and took me to his office to let me know what was up.

Apparently some debt collectors called his house the night before while I was on watch. When the chief asked how they got his number, the collectors said they called his work. I absolutely had access to the home numbers of the chiefs stationed there as staff and I 100% never got a phone call or gave out that number.

I said something along the lines of "so debt collectors finally got a hold of Chief Bagadonuts but somehow I'm the problem here?" My chief said that was also being looked into.

He lost his clearance not long after that. All he had to do was not stand outside the Commander's office screaming about STS2 Flyinglemur and no one would have known

Well, that and pay his loving bills on time

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

I was standing quarterdeck watch at building 518 in Groton while on shore duty. I was a second class and the evening shift was basically just sitting there trying to stay awake. Like most watches.

I got relieved and went home, came back the next morning to find some chief on the quarterdeck screaming at me about not standing a proper watch. My chief was just coming out of the elevator so he grabbed me and took me to his office to let me know what was up.

Apparently some debt collectors called his house the night before while I was on watch. When the chief asked how they got his number, the collectors said they called his work. I absolutely had access to the home numbers of the chiefs stationed there as staff and I 100% never got a phone call or gave out that number.

I said something along the lines of "so debt collectors finally got a hold of Chief Bagadonuts but somehow I'm the problem here?" My chief said that was also being looked into.

He lost his clearance not long after that. All he had to do was not stand outside the Commander's office screaming about STS2 Flyinglemur and no one would have known

Well, that and pay his loving bills on time

I don't believe in ghosts one bit, but if they exist they definitely live in the schoolhouses at SUBASENLON.

Those roving midwatches just gave me the creeps.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Flyinglemur posted:

Wait, what did it turn out he had been doing?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Quackles posted:

Wait, what did it turn out he had been doing?

being in debt that you cant pay off on time is a red flag for a clearance

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

ded posted:

being in debt that you cant pay off on time is a red flag for a clearance

It's honestly crazy to let it get that far, too. I've seen a lot of people go through it. I even went through the adjudication process myself when first issued a clearance (but that was primarily because of a bunch of erroneous poo poo on my credit report.) If you're working things out with your creditors and setting up payment plans etc, you'll usually come out alright as long as you stay on top of it.

If you ghost your creditors to the point that they're going to collections and then you're ghosting *them*... then yeah you're gonna have a problem.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DuffelBlog/status/1752790564355919911?t=cSFUm00AhKk5AjCuEDXbRw&s=19

Lol, Duffelblog almost never misses

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Crab Dad posted:

Also fml that would have counted towards my chief test no?

The fact that you've made it this far without knowing this is awesome. A solid 80% of IW chiefs I've known have had no skills beyond knowing "how to make chief." Yet you remain focused, unbothered, in your lane, moisturized, flourishing. I look up to you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Red Crown posted:

The fact that you've made it this far without knowing this is awesome. A solid 80% of IW chiefs I've known have had no skills beyond knowing "how to make chief." Yet you remain focused, unbothered, in your lane, moisturized, flourishing. I look up to you.

So… that’s a yes?

Anyways I’m on the 1700 to 0700 shift and hating life so y’all can enjoy that at least.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

I thought NAMs did.

I'm currently TDY for training so my exciting Friday night, after going out for dinner with a colleague, is doing laundry so I looked this up to confirm myself

Your final multiple score for Chief is only based on two things: Reporting Seniors Cumulative Average PMA (60%) and Standard Score aka Exam Score (40%)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm currently TDY for training so my exciting Friday night, after going out for dinner with a colleague, is doing laundry so I looked this up to confirm myself

Your final multiple score for Chief is only based on two things: Reporting Seniors Cumulative Average PMA (60%) and Standard Score aka Exam Score (40%)

Tuck that away in my notebook of passwords.
Still I guess another shiny is pretty for my chest at FleetWeek.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
One of my sailors asked me to reenlist them tomorrow! Its my first time doing this! :)

Making sure I have the oath memorized for it so I'm not reading off a card or a smart phone like I've seen at others.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

One of my sailors asked me to reenlist them tomorrow! Its my first time doing this! :)

Making sure I have the oath memorized for it so I'm not reading off a card or a smart phone like I've seen at others.

That's nice.
So I spent 8 hours today throwing away a couple hundred pounds of old AV gear from multiple generations of equipment stashed away in every nook and cranny of my departments area. Also may be getting an invite to to comeback on some more orders. Details to come.
Wrapping up my time on the island and I'm pretty happy with my per diem expenditure. I may actually bank a little even after my loving refrigerator and dryer dying the moment I left my house.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Should probably tell them not to reenlist and that the real world is not that scary

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Should probably tell them not to reenlist and that the real world is not that scary

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Make sure to include a minute of silence as we mourn the lost soul who just got transferred to subs (then stare intently as the reenlisting sailor).

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Been underway for 3 days and my chief completely lost his poo poo earlier. Asked me and one of my FC2s to leave the space for five minutes. The door had barely shut before he started absolutely wailing on something. His knuckles had band-aids on them later.

Ocean Madness. Cabin Fever. The Wet Willies.

Just jerk off, my guy.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
3 days

lol

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/the_sailor_dog/status/1757839156674506894?t=_du-GTaXi0aBz9GzSvtzCg&s=19

Sounds like your Chief got early news of this and just couldn't handle not being able to Shipmate! Shipmates

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Chaplain Warfare Devices?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/the_sailor_dog/status/1757839156674506894?t=_du-GTaXi0aBz9GzSvtzCg&s=19

Sounds like your Chief got early news of this and just couldn't handle not being able to Shipmate! Shipmates

This is what fox news is talking about when it discusses the "woke" military. Absolutely disgraceful

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

In my experience it's always the first week and the last month underway when people are the most likely to go crack-ping.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m at a 4 star command… should I risk it?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

In my experience it's always the first week and the last month underway when people are the most likely to go crack-ping.

5 to 8 weeks in my experience is the hardest part mentally.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Been underway for 3 days and my chief completely lost his poo poo earlier. Asked me and one of my FC2s to leave the space for five minutes. The door had barely shut before he started absolutely wailing on something. His knuckles had band-aids on them later.

Ocean Madness. Cabin Fever. The Wet Willies.

Just jerk off, my guy.

Or take your sidearm appart, either / or.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Question for brown shoe types, I swear I saw an E-2C takeoff from Dover AFB today. It had the dish but was small and making quicker (then again everything is smaller and quicker compared to C5s and C17s), what's up with that being up in Delaware?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nick Soapdish posted:

Question for brown shoe types, I swear I saw an E-2C takeoff from Dover AFB today. It had the dish but was small and making quicker (then again everything is smaller and quicker compared to C5s and C17s), what's up with that being up in Delaware?

Probably doing a touch and go, that's a convenient range from Norfolk for a ~2 hour training flight.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Probably doing a touch and go, that's a convenient range from Norfolk for a ~2 hour training flight.

I know the C-2s like to use Wallops for whatever reason.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

I’m at a 4 star command… should I risk it?

Impress them with your zealous command of Navy regs, sailor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Or take your sidearm appart, either / or.

THEY SAID NOT TO gently caress THE STUDENTS, I DIDN'T gently caress THE STUDENTS.

GAWD.