Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Even Mandy? It's a metal album cover come to life.

Kinda? I didn't hate Mandy but I didn't like it much either. It's kind of hard to articulate, but I feel like Panos Cosmatos stuff is unpredictable in a very predictable way. Feels like style over substance, except the style is basically just a carpenter brut music video.

I guess I get why people like him but it doesn't do much for me personally.

badjohny posted:

If you look close you can see Akira and Tetsuo walking around in one of the crowd shots.

:eyepop: I'm assuming it was in the Stink Bomb segment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sax Solo posted:

because I like to be shown cool/weird/funny poo poo.

I like to be shown those things too, but a movie has to come by it organically instead of trying to force it with unfunny garbage and fake nostalgia.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought Psycho Goreman was funny and cute but what can I say I don't usually go for horror comedy type stuff so must of the stuff that PG haters acclaim I usually completely bounce off of (like say, Deadstream).

As for Mandy I adored the first half, absolutely loving gorgeous and moody, but when it gets into like WOAH WHAT IF A SKELETON RIDING A MOTORCYCLE HAD AN AXE GUITAR CHAINSAW THAT SPAT FIRE or whatever I was respectfully out. Not my thang.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 30, 2024

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mandy wasn't bad but its eagerness to steal from other, better movies, from Hellraiser to Phantasm II, got to me after a while

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I think I liked The Void but I haven't seen it since it came out and can't remember a drat thing about it. I'll have to check it out again

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iirc it has a great head squish

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

bewilderment posted:

Empire Queen is now streaming on Prime Video. It just got made.

Watch this first. It was made in 2008.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDyDz8WeiM4

Empire Queen is this music video, expanded upon into a full 2.5 hour feature length 'comedic' fantasy film, released in 2024. The lead singer you see there, Chris Dane Owens, is the director, producer, lead actor, one of the casting directors, and the lead costumer.

It is exactly as good-bad as you think it is. It truly has all the makings of a cult classic, for the same reasons as The Room. It's impossible to truly dislike the movie, considering how much of it is this guy's singular vision and 'lore' that he earnestly put his all into making.

I am begging you all to see this movie. Especially in as big a group as you can manage. Probably with some drinks.
I did not know that Key and Peele Power of Wings skit had a specific reference.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Kinda? I didn't hate Mandy but I didn't like it much either. It's kind of hard to articulate, but I feel like Panos Cosmatos stuff is unpredictable in a very predictable way. Feels like style over substance, except the style is basically just a carpenter brut music video.

I guess I get why people like him but it doesn't do much for me personally.

:eyepop: I'm assuming it was in the Stink Bomb segment?

My memory of....memories..was off. They appeared in another anime, called robot Carnival. Not memories.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

badjohny posted:

My memory of....memories..was off. They appeared in another anime, called robot Carnival. Not memories.

Oh yeah, he worked on Robot Carnival as well. I haven't seen it though.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

iirc it has a great head squish

At least two of the afformentioned movies do actually

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

veni veni veni posted:

Oh yeah, he worked on Robot Carnival as well. I haven't seen it though.

You are in luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am8grbyTxTw

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

As for Mandy I adored the first half, absolutely loving gorgeous and moody, but when it gets into like WOAH WHAT IF A SKELETON RIDING A MOTORCYCLE HAD AN AXE GUITAR CHAINSAW THAT SPAT FIRE or whatever I was respectfully out. Not my thang.
Hmm I think you've confused it with Ghost Rider. understandable mistake

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Sax Solo posted:

I think this is like saying Cheech and Chong had no idea why people like to smoke pot. I think Psycho Goreman is clearly the product of people with a developed taste for trash, with their own ideas of what makes bad stuff good.

Overall I liked PG (and the Void and Mandy and MAD GOD) because I like to be shown cool/weird/funny poo poo.

Mad God is fuckin amazing. I got high with a few friends and watched it and we could barely look away from the screen the entire time.

And whoever is on the Nicholas Cage kick definitely check out Pig and Color Out of Space, not sure where they're streaming these days though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice, thanks. I'm actually in the middle of digging through pretty much all of his work that I can dig up atm, so I'll put that in the queue for sure.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I thought Psycho Goreman was funny and cute but what can I say I don't usually go for horror comedy type stuff so must of the stuff that PG haters acclaim I usually completely bounce off of (like say, Deadstream).

The second half is when I start head banging to the movie lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Mad God is fuckin amazing. I got high with a few friends and watched it and we could barely look away from the screen the entire time.

And whoever is on the Nicholas Cage kick definitely check out Pig and Color Out of Space, not sure where they're streaming these days though.

Pig is a beautiful movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised by the marketing misdirection of Pig

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by the marketing misdirection of Pig

The weird thing is that there is one scene that does feel like its out of a John Wick movie.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Field Mousepad posted:

Pig is on Hulu, and Color Out of Space is on Prime. I saw Pig a while ago, it was good. Color Out of Space tonight, then

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 30, 2024

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Pig is sweet thanks for the rec

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

I thought The Void was sloppy, lazy, and amateurish trash. I later heard a lot of people giving it love and felt like I was probably too harsh on someone trying to make something cool without much time or budget. Really should have trusted my instincts before putting on PG. I loved the effects, but woof I could not make it more than halfway through, just so completely not for me. Felt in the same camp as Turno Kid or Samurai Cop 2, obnoxiously trying to chase the "so bad it's good" vibe without having any idea why people enjoy ambitious and earnest low-budget misses. An overly-ironic bad comedy sketch stretched out for way, way too long.

wrong
PG isnt trying to be so bad it's good. It's just trying to be with no money. It's camp but it's not made with that kind of snark.

Unless you think using outdated tech automatically makes it so bad its good, in that case I don't agree with that and think its wrongo.

Also The Void kicks rear end. The fact it cost next to nothing with those creatures is INSANE.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Like it uses miniatures and stop motion, but it's done in such a cool stylish way. If you see photos of them you can see a lot of detail put into them.

If it was so bad it's good, they would just be some crap slapped together with paint, and badly composited.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I definitely get where they are coming from with with the turbo kid/samurai cop comparison. I dunno if I would call it so bad it's good, but I think it's why those movies are kind of off putting to me and why some other people seem to like them so much. For lack of a better way to put it they feel like something a Youtuber would make.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It has the feeling of a modern filmmaker bending over backwards to make their film feel like something from the 80s without really getting any of that actual feeling except on an extremely shallow level. It feels artificial and forced because it is by design.

Some people like that, but I always immediately bounce hard off it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

wrong
PG isnt trying to be so bad it's good. It's just trying to be with no money. It's camp but it's not made with that kind of snark.

Absolutely disagreed. The way the little gorl was written was snarky as hell and obnoxiously self-aware.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but its not snarky as in "movie is bad look how BAD we are".

It's trying to make a film inspired by japanese fighting shows like power rangers.

Manborg is the same way. I haven't seen it in forever, but what got me was how while it was done so cheap and so jank, it was still trying to tell a story. It wasn't like being so bad its good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It has the feeling of a modern filmmaker bending over backwards to make their film feel like something from the 80s without really getting any of that actual feeling except on an extremely shallow level. It feels artificial and forced because it is by design.

Some people like that, but I always immediately bounce hard off it.

I think you've got this backwards. PG isn't failing to ape 80s films — it's succeeding at portraying a mid 90s sensibility to a degree that almost sucks.

Like, I knew a Mimi and a Luke in middle school. They weren't always fun people to be around (in real life).

edit: I mean all this to the films credit. Mimi being a terrible hell child is entertaining (in a movie).

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 31, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mimi basically stepped out of invader Zim which is why I think she’s hilarious. An insane cartoon character to contrast with an insane cartoon alien

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Oh man Pig was so good. A 90 minute movie zoomed in on a small cast of characters that communicates their internal experiences beautifully. Like a film from a different time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Color Out of Space was pretty great. Really nailed the breakdown of reality in a somehow more gratuitous way than Annihilation.

The Beach House is also a modern take on the Color Out of Space story that I feel undeservedly slipped under the radar.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Mimi basically stepped out of invader Zim which is why I think she’s hilarious. An insane cartoon character to contrast with an insane cartoon alien
:hai:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Beach House is also a modern take on the Color Out of Space story that I feel undeservedly slipped under the radar.

The Beach House was solid.

Unrelated, but I am re-watching Review (paramount+) and is seriously one of the funniest shows ever. So underrated.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The Beach House was solid.

Unrelated, but I am re-watching Review (paramount+) and is seriously one of the funniest shows ever. So underrated.

Review is hilarious. Glad to hear it's on paramount+ now, was always a tough sell to get people to endure the lovely comedy central site to watch it previously.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Absolutely disagreed. The way the little gorl was written was snarky as hell and obnoxiously self-aware.

That’s not really camp though. Camp- at least as I see it- is drawing attention to the artifice. The girl is just acting like a brat which some kids are at that age.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And the joke, theme of the movie is that humans are bigger monsters than the actual ones. Mimi is probably more of an evil being than PG is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I adore deadstream. One of the best FF movies in years. Absolutely hilarious and has the best intentionally annoying and accurate main character as opposed to a lot of FF where every character sucks and we know too much about them

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

By all metrics I should hate Deadstream but I thought it was fantastic.

I'm usually not a horror comedy guy, but if a movie succeeds as both a horror and comedy that's a home run imo. Dead Stream is hilarious and actually quite spooky at times. Really gave me Sam Rami at his best vibes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

100% Sam Raimi vibe especially with the camera angles on the weapons. Such a cool smart idea

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

God I hope Otomo gets to make a live action Akira but without a Japan Budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wolfsheim posted:

also a lot of good seasons of television ended the last couple weeks

The Curse is amazing, as previously mentioned. Ten hours of the cringiest deadpan you've ever seen from Nathan Fielder and friends followed by an ending that is somehow both thematically relevant and a huge gently caress-you. Loved it.

Fargo did pretty well this season. It ends a little too cleanly for my tastes (the good guys win and the bad guys lose) but it's still a huge improvement over the absolute dud of the Chris Rock season. It also feels like it has the most overt Coen callbacks to date, with so many scenes and ideas and structures lifted almost directly from their works, though usually by being turned on their head a little bit which is fun. Fun fact: the Coens hate this show and do not want people to mention it around them!

Reacher okay I wouldn't call this a good show but it's entertaining, sometimes entertainingly stupid but there it is. The ending is absolutely ridiculous, with the villain who had been killing his way to this arms deal dying so immediately and without a fight that you wonder why they showed his journey at all, Reacher and his team both doing wacky 'sure you can go...psych!'-style execution against the remaining bad guys and Reacher stealing millions in unmarked bearer bonds and doling them out to friends and loved ones like a homeless caveman Santa Claus while the government just kind of winks and lets him do it. I'm half-tempted to actually start reading the books if any of them are half as bonkers as this.

I lost it and decided I loved the 2nd season when one Ep ended with the main villain trying to negotiate and asking Reacher "Ok then what exactly is it that you want?" and him replying "I want to throw you out of a helicopter" and the immediate cut to credits. No moralizing, no "how dare you" etc