Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
After playing with a full size d-pad for the first time in my life with my 8bitdo:
Full d-pad > individual direction buttons > typical tiny d-pad on most modern controllers, the switch pro included.

I grew up with a pc and a 64 so by the time I was learning to use a d-pad, it was to operate menus in ps2 games. Indie platformers designed for keyboards feel really good with the joycons' separate buttons while the tiny d-pad results in too many fake up+right and down+right inputs. I don't consider my thumbs that big but never understood how people did rolling down+downright+right style inputs for fighting games. My 8bitdo snes controller has been eye-opening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve gotten accustomed to the sega Saturn style disk dpad after using the Series X controller and the 8bitdo M30 but I have no problems with the joycon Dpad, the traditional Sony style feel kinda bad and mushy to me now though

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I like the d-pad on the Deck. Whichever kind that is. I like it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the lite dpad was good, the 8bitdo pro 2 i use on regular switch now has a great dpad. the seperate buttons on the full size are so aids i straight up dont play dpad games handheld bcos of it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

the lite dpad was good, the 8bitdo pro 2 i use on regular switch now has a great dpad. the seperate buttons on the full size are so aids i straight up dont play dpad games handheld bcos of it.

I have 7000 Mario Maker 2 WRs. Skill issue.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

American McGay posted:

How many using the power glove?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

American McGay posted:

i could still play games on them but once youve gotten used to driving a lambo you dont want to use a fiat anymore

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Lemony posted:

If I don't intend to do any online multiplayer, just local, are either Splatoon 3 or Mario Strikers worth picking up? I see Strikers has a lot of poor reviews. I played a fair bit of Strikers Charged and loved it, what changes did they make that made it supposedly worse?

I was a huge fan of prior Strikers games and this one was awful.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Your not a true input master until you play Dark Souls with a banana for a controller.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

American McGay posted:

I have 7000 Mario Maker 2 WRs.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

i could still play games on them

Doubt

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hey guys check out my new Lamborghini! :downs:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

?? lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
This slap fight rules.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

analog stick: normal. standard. been used as is for 25 years.

weird booster seat analog stick: strange. atypical. modifying functional control system for no apparent reason. preference for such often due to severe and repeated blows to the head.

dpad: normal. standard. been used as is for 30 years.

weird detatched directional buttons: strange. atypical. modifying functional control system for no apparent reason. preference for such often due to severe and repeated blows to the head.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

American McGay posted:

Joycon buttons are superior to a standard d-pad. Skill issue.

qed lmfao

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

American McGay posted:

imagining all the gross stuff that's going to get trapped in those tiny holes

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
This sucks. The best controller is the one that you’re used to and you like.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tempura Wizard posted:

Skill issue.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tempura Wizard posted:

Wavebird stays winning.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
More like waveturd

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've honestly never had problem adjusting from controller to controller. I swap between consoles often enough that my muscle memory tends to be able to just adjust.

What I can't get used to is virtual joysticks. Hate 'em. loving hate 'em. Without the actual physical aspects it feels squishy and weird.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I've honestly never had problem adjusting from controller to controller. I swap between consoles often enough that my muscle memory tends to be able to just adjust.

What I can't get used to is virtual joysticks. Hate 'em. loving hate 'em. Without the actual physical aspects it feels squishy and weird.

What about how nintendo uses A to confirm, but playstation uses the button in that position (circle) for no

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What about how nintendo uses A to confirm, but playstation uses the button in that position (circle) for no

despite playstation doing it wrong it's never tripped me up

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Xbox also uses A to confirm, but in the position of where the PlayStation confirm is.

PlayStation Japan had the same confirm location as Nintendo until fairly recently when they changed it to match PlayStation America's.

Nintendo standardized the four button layout first but then they didn't use that layout in the Nintendo 64, GameCube, GBA, or Wii, so like 1996-2012 on consoles, 1996 - 2005 on handhelds, so they only have themselves to blame that a different standard emerged and took over.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Nintendo layout is correct

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i remember button locations per game using my incredible mind so i am unfazed by any of the three possible positions of the x button.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The correct layout was 6 butan

gently caress ever having to press triggers for strong punch/kick

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 30, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Weirdly this never gives me trouble. My brain can swap without trouble. I do sometimes slip up when I go from a localized game to an import game because the X/O confirm/exit swaps on Playstation.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Stux posted:

i remember button locations per game using my incredible mind so i am unfazed by any of the three possible positions of the x button.

Dark souls on switch uses playststion layout during character creation. But then it asks you to input a name and on the keyboard screen it loving switches to nintendo layout. Even your fantastic brain can't save you from that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Dark souls on switch uses playststion layout during character creation. But then it asks you to input a name and on the keyboard screen it loving switches to nintendo layout. Even your fantastic brain can't save you from that

That was very funny lol.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

kecske posted:

imagining all the gross stuff that's going to get trapped in those tiny holes

wash your hands

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

it can, the buttons are clearly on screen at all times during that.i wa s jsut playing a wonderswan game emulated on a steam deck so confirm was switching location between teh game and os. pressing a to start the game and then instantly b on the title screen with NO effort. not a problem for me at all.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

American McGay posted:

Not compatible with Switch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I have hands

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Weird thing is, on PlayStation, big thumb caps put your thumbs farther from the pivot point so your thumb has to travel farther, making fast back and forth movement more of a chore

But big thumb caps on the switch are great because the thumb sticks are small to begin with, and the increased distance from the oivot point feels perfect

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I don't play Dark Souls, so FromSoft's boneheaded controller input decisions don't affect me. :smuggo:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Commander Keene posted:

I don't play Dark Souls, so FromSoft's boneheaded controller input decisions don't affect me. :smuggo:

ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

hatty posted:

The Nintendo layout is correct
Never would have considered that, but after a few years with the Switch under my belt, yep, I configured my Steam Deck to use that layout after I got it last summer.

No regrets.