Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The Navy is super willy-nilly about drug abuse, its just that those drugs are Motrin, Alcohol, and Caffeine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

We literally just had someone say they pocketed some to abuse later :cmon:

I didn't say that at all. I saved a few to help me with the brutal pain in my legs and back during the Parris Island crucible. I didn't graduate and immediately go to Jacksonville looking for more or anything.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Eason the Fifth posted:

I didn't say that at all. I saved a few to help me with the brutal pain in my legs and back during the Parris Island crucible. I didn't graduate and immediately go to Jacksonville looking for more or anything.

I'm going to be pedantic. The word abuse means to misuse or improperly use something: "ab-use". They prescribed them for your pain while recovering for a few days from the tooth extraction, not for you to save and decide on your own when to use them later and unsupervised. You didn't go looking for more but a different type of person might. You were also affected by them at a time when the instructors would not have expected it. I'm glad it worked out.

The reason I brought it up is because they prescribed them to me too for the same thing, and they absolutely should not have. That's as far as I want to get into my own experience with it. They shouldn't be giving codeine for tooth extraction in basic, in my opinion. Your anecdote supports my argument, as I see it, because if some poo poo went down it would have been their fault for creating the opportunity.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Smartest thing I ever did in recruit training was abuse prescribed opiates :dukedog:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eason the Fifth posted:

Smartest thing I ever did in recruit training was abuse prescribed opiates :dukedog:

See that's fine! Just don't blow smoke up my rear end, jeez.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nm

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The names of the 3 people killed in the drone attack on Sunday have been released, along with some more details about the attack.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68133115

BBC posted:

The US has blamed Iranian-backed groups and the Pentagon said it carried the "footprints" of Kataib Hezbollah.

The Pentagon also reiterated the US does not want a war with Iran.

"We don't seek war, but we will take action, and respond to attacks on our forces," said Pentagon spokesperson Sabrina Singh.

CBS News, the BBC's US partner, said it was told by a US official that the drone used in the attack appeared to be Iranian-made.

The official indicated it was a "type of Shahed drone," which is a one-way attack drone Iran has been providing to Russia.

[...]

Features of an air defence system were turned off at Tower 22 at the time of the attack, US officials told CBS News, because the enemy drone arrived at the same time as a returning US drone.

They added that troops at the air base were still in their sleeping quarters when the drone struck - with little to no warning.

Looks like it's possible the attackers were familiar with how the air defense on the base worked. Is that something someone could figure out just by observing the base from a distance, or is there a chance they had some kind of intelligence? Maybe sigint from Iran?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Spoggerific posted:

The names of the 3 people killed in the drone attack on Sunday have been released, along with some more details about the attack.

Looks like it's possible the attackers were familiar with how the air defense on the base worked. Is that something someone could figure out just by observing the base from a distance, or is there a chance they had some kind of intelligence? Maybe sigint from Iran?

They read War Thunder Forums.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Zero VGS posted:

They really shouldn't give those out for wisdom teeth. For someone who's never done opiates it's the first "chasing the dragon" experience.

I never got high on my post-wisdom teeth opiate pills, but it did freak me out that after about a couple of days of taking them my brain would just remind me that they existed - I got a bit of a "hey, you could take a pill" nudge that definitely felt like a bit of a chemical reminder.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Spoggerific posted:

Maybe they read the Iliad

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Sounds like they simply observed the US base from a distance and took notes as to when drones were being launched and retrieved, and sent up a Shahed to follow the yankee drone in when it was due back.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Notahippie posted:

I never got high on my post-wisdom teeth opiate pills, but it did freak me out that after about a couple of days of taking them my brain would just remind me that they existed - I got a bit of a "hey, you could take a pill" nudge that definitely felt like a bit of a chemical reminder.

It's when you take the pills and feel instantly better, that's when you've got an issue; that was a fuckin scary realization for me one day.

Edit: never mind

Leave fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 30, 2024

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Blanket warning:

Don’t import drama or continue discussion from the closed Hamas/Israeli War Thread to this thread. Do not start a new thread.

Take it to CSPAM or wherever the gently caress else I do not care. Leave it out of this subforum for now.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Leave posted:

It's when you take the pills and feel instantly better, that's when you've got an issue; that was a fuckin scary realization for me one day.

Edit: never mind

Having worked as a Corpsman and EMT and interacted with all sorts of people with crippling opiate addictions I’m glad I just feel nauseous and in the same amount of pain when I’ve been given opiates for surgery

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah my one experience with opiates did nothing for the pain and while I slept in a half daze I tore at myself in a frenzy because everything itched more than I could have ever imagined possible. So yeah, never agian.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
When I got my wisdom teeth chiseled out, I got the opioids and immediately started projectile vomiting. When I had shoulder surgery, I got the opioids and immediately started projectile vomiting. I actually consider myself lucky in that way now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't feel any pain when I'm on opioids after surgeries because all I do is sleep, constantly, until they're out of my system. Not a lot of fun and I use them as little as possible even when I was cut open, re-arranged and bolted/screwed back in place.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Stultus Maximus posted:

When I got my wisdom teeth chiseled out, I got the opioids and immediately started projectile vomiting. When I had shoulder surgery, I got the opioids and immediately started projectile vomiting. I actually consider myself lucky in that way now.

I got my wisdom teeth out during Christmas break from my freshman year of college, and even though I was prescribed Vicodin, my parents kept it back as a last resort.

There was a second instance where I was prescribed it. I want to say it was when I had my tonsils out during grad school and had it done in my hometown to have someone keep an eye on me. We never even had it filled.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My experience with legally prescribed opiates has ranged from "Gosh, I sure do like watching the Lord of the Rings and having vivid dreams about snorkeling on a tropical reef" to "oh god I hate this itching and I just had an episode of sleep paralysis where a demonic woman attacked me in my sleep." I won't ask for them if I'm seeking medical care, but if the doctor sees fit to prescribe them for short-term pain management, I'll use them for their intended purpose and then chuck the rest in with a bag of dog poo poo.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I got all four of my wisdom teeth out at once.

I got prescribed Tylenol 3 with coedine.

It didn't help that much.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has bullshit reactions to drugs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I got prescribed Percocet and all it did was make me irritable.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Oxy is mmmmmmarvellous and you all need to get in touch with your inner junkie (don't).

30 minutes in and all the pain goes away, and then it's off for the best nap you'll ever have. Delightful.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
When I got had shoulder surgery they prescribed me some stuff and all it did was make me go unpleasantly out of body and gave me some mild hallucinations. The very next day I asked for some thing weaker and didn't even finish the prescription. I just do not get along with opiates. Not my sister in law, however, she asked me for any extras I had left over.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The only thing I ever ask for after the highly unpleasant opioid experience (seriously, vomiting right after a wisdom tooth removal made for a really bad day) is the 800mg ibuprofen. It worked fine after the shoulder surgery.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

I'm going to be pedantic. The word abuse means to misuse or improperly use something: "ab-use". They prescribed them for your pain while recovering for a few days from the tooth extraction, not for you to save and decide on your own when to use them later and unsupervised. You didn't go looking for more but a different type of person might. You were also affected by them at a time when the instructors would not have expected it. I'm glad it worked out.

The reason I brought it up is because they prescribed them to me too for the same thing, and they absolutely should not have. That's as far as I want to get into my own experience with it. They shouldn't be giving codeine for tooth extraction in basic, in my opinion. Your anecdote supports my argument, as I see it, because if some poo poo went down it would have been their fault for creating the opportunity.

I sat on this for a minute to gather my thoughts before replying with more than just my first knee-jerk post. It seemed to me like there is large difference between "misuse" and "abuse", but I did some cursory internet research and found out that the definitions are surprisingly nebulous.

I found this site, which says (without author or linked attribution, but still sounds like a decent definition):

quote:

Prescription drug ABUSE is the use of a medication without a prescription, in a way other than as prescribed, or for the experience or feelings elicited, as defined by the National Institute on Drug Abuse. For example, when a person takes a prescription drug to get a pleasant or euphoric feeling (i.e. to “get high”), especially at higher doses than prescribed, that is an example of drug abuse. The abuse of certain prescription drugs – opioids, central nervous system depressants, and stimulants – can lead to a variety of adverse health effects, including addiction.

According to the FDA, prescription drug MISUSE may involve not following medical instructions, but the person taking the drug is not looking to “get high.” For example, if a person isn’t able to fall asleep after taking a single sleeping pill, they may take another pill an hour later, thinking, “That will do the job.” Or a person may offer his headache medication to a friend who is in pain. Those are examples of drug misuse because, according to the FDA, the person is treating themselves, but not according to the directions of their health care providers. According to the Institute for Safe Medication Practices, prescription drug misuse can include: taking the incorrect dose; taking a dose at the wrong time; forgetting to take a dose; stopping medicine too soon.

The FDA stresses that both misuse and abuse of prescription drugs can be harmful and even life-threatening. This is because taking a drug other than the way it is prescribed can lead to dangerous outcomes the person may not anticipate.

But then I found this article on ncbi which is largely over my head but seems to state that the definitions of "misuse" and "abuse" tend to overlap, depending on who is taking about them:

quote:

Analgesic clinical trial investigators and sponsors, as well as the regulators evaluating study findings, require precise estimates of inappropriate drug use events occurring in these trials. Currently, a critical weakness is that distinct patterns of inappropriate use are typically grouped under ill-defined terms such as “misuse” or “abuse.” To be most useful for evaluating each drug’s abuse potential, accurate and consistently defined terminology is needed. Although the terminology for drug misuse, abuse, and related events (MAREs) has been evolving since the 1950s [30], to date, consensus definitions are lacking. [...] The lack of consensus in MARE terminology also results from using terms both to describe single events that may signal a drug’s abuse potential (eg, ‘abuse’ of a drug for a psychotropic effect [9,13,19,23,36,39,40]), as well as to diagnose an individual’s ongoing pattern of problematic drug use (eg, ‘substance abuse’ in DSM-IV-TR [2]). In addition, in spite of widely used classifications for diagnosing ongoing problematic drug use (ie, DSM-IV-TR [2]; ICD-10 [44]), these classifications are ill-suited to certain problems associated with prescription medication use [16,30], leading clinicians, organizations, and researchers to create idiosyncratic new terms such as misuse, nonmedical use, and aberrant medication-taking behaviors [29,45], exacerbating inconsistencies in MARE terminology. When MARE terms are used idiosyncratically, inconsistently, or haphazardly, it is difficult for researchers, clinicians, and regulators to make accurate, evidence-based recommendations that could help reduce inappropriate analgesic use.

I'm certainly not trying to say I'm above abusing drugs because I have, by any definition, abused the living jesus out of alcohol, dip, and weed, but I'd argue that saving pain pills for future pain isn't that much different from saving napkins from the chow hall knowing that drill instructors were going to take the toilet paper. I still have some oxy in the medicine cabinet from a surgery I had last June, but I have no urge to use it. If, sometime early this year, I fall on a patch of ice and break my rear end into a thousand pieces, I will probably take it. I think that would be "misuse" but not "abuse" for the same basic reasons I saved pills from dental to use after three days humping around the rear end-end of Parris Island when my feet looked like raw hamburger and I couldn't walk without limping. I also think calling my use case "abuse" does a disservice to people who are actually addicted and abuse medication. You alluded to a possible history of abuse and I absolutely do not want to discount your experience, but I do think there is a difference in the definition of those two words.

All that said, I certainly agree with you on a few points: narcotics in basic training is possibly bad news for young people, and potentially much worse news when mixed with a live fire, and if my drill instructors had found out I was taking Vicodin to make the crucible a much less lovely experience they would've smoked my rear end like a pork loin.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 30, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

not caring here posted:

Oxy is mmmmmmarvellous and you all need to get in touch with your inner junkie (don't).

30 minutes in and all the pain goes away, and then it's off for the best nap you'll ever have. Delightful.

When I had kidney stones, I got zero euphoria out of the morphine and dilaudid, but it sure did help with the screaming.

I didn't really understand how opiate addiction starts until another time I got the kinda-sorta opioid tramadol. When that poo poo kicked in, it hit hard. Then the tolerance started and a few days later, the kick disappeared. Rapidly understood how people chased that high and wanted off the poo poo as soon as possible. The opioid shits helped that too.

Meanwhile, Donnie and his bunch don't really realize the bear that they're poking:

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1752402535925653869?t=EeSJ-wZeaWvfkX02TfsQ5Q&s=19

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, if the spicy stuff works for you and you don't have any addiction problems, it's silly not to keep the spares around. hosed up tooth, broken bone, can't immediately get to a doctor? Oh yes please, mister oxy, I would like to not drive myself mad with pain and possibly make my condition worse.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

When I had kidney stones, I got zero euphoria out of the morphine and dilaudid, but it sure did help with the screaming.

I didn't really understand how opiate addiction starts until another time I got the kinda-sorta opioid tramadol. When that poo poo kicked in, it hit hard. Then the tolerance started and a few days later, the kick disappeared. Rapidly understood how people chased that high and wanted off the poo poo as soon as possible. The opioid shits helped that too.

Meanwhile, Donnie and his bunch don't really realize the bear that they're poking:

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1752402535925653869?t=EeSJ-wZeaWvfkX02TfsQ5Q&s=19

loving of course he's pissed off that someone else exists. The "I'm more popular" thing is pure, distilled narcissism just 150-decibel-screaming in his psyche that someone else is getting attention and he cannot, on a fundamental level of his being, handle that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eason the Fifth posted:

I sat on this for a minute to gather my thoughts before replying with more than just a knee-jerk post. It seemed to me like there is large difference between "misuse" and "abuse", but I did some cursory internet research and found out that the definitions are surprisingly nebulous.

You’re probably not going to get in trouble for having old pills in your medicine cabinet and taking them later for a headache, given that the prescription was lawful and in your name.

But you wouldn’t want to test things by crossing a border with them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

not caring here posted:

Yeah, if the spicy stuff works for you and you don't have any addiction problems, it's silly not to keep the spares around. hosed up tooth, broken bone, can't immediately get to a doctor? Oh yes please, mister oxy, I would like to not drive myself mad with pain and possibly make my condition worse.

Bad idea. Opioids are one of the drugs that can be a real problem after the expiration date.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I am not gonna get bent out of shape about "abuse" when 3 docs gave me over 6 weeks of back issues 3 separate scrips for tramadol, vicodin and oxycontin in that order and it took going to a chiropractor afterwards and less than 3 minutes of examination for him to send me to get Xrays to find I had a fractured L5 vertebrae.

Fortunately, opioids make me nauseous enough that the 1st dose does great at taking the edge off and any followup just sends me vomiting. I kept them around for a few years after and used them when I banged up some ribs or had some nasty sprains etc.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

loving of course he's pissed off that someone else exists. The "I'm more popular" thing is pure, distilled narcissism just 150-decibel-screaming in his psyche that someone else is getting attention and he cannot, on a fundamental level of his being, handle that.

He might not even be wrong, which is kinda the trouble. People really shouldn't be too into politicians (or celebrities, really, but that's a lot less harmful!).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The biggest swiftie I know IRL is a professor at West Point lol.

Kind of a sweet story really, he got into it to reconnect with his daughter and took her to a concert, they had a blast and its how they keep up these days. When both of their colleges are on break they try to meet up somewhere there is a TSwift show.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

OddObserver posted:

He might not even be wrong, which is kinda the trouble. People really shouldn't be too into politicians (or celebrities, really, but that's a lot less harmful!).

It might come down to how you define "committed". Trump has at least some fans that are willing to attempt a coup, but then again if Tay Tay called for an uprising she might get more turnout.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

facialimpediment posted:

Well that’s one way to get the under 40 women vote out.

I’m sure it won’t backfire for him.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It might come down to how you define "committed". Trump has at least some fans that are willing to attempt a coup, but then again if Tay Tay called for an uprising she might get more turnout.

Would be an order of magnitude more effective, they'd be coordinating minutes later on Instagram comments and tumblr.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eason the Fifth posted:

I also think calling my use case "abuse" does a disservice to people who are actually addicted and abuse medication. You alluded to a possible history of abuse and I absolutely do not want to discount your experience, but I do think there is a difference in the definition of those two words.

All that said, I certainly agree with you on a few points: narcotics in basic training is possibly bad news for young people, and potentially much worse news when mixed with a live fire, and if my drill instructors had found out I was taking Vicodin to make the crucible a much less lovely experience they would've smoked my rear end like a pork loin.

Like you said, you didn't just take it later but you took it at not a particularly safe time, knew you'd be turbofucked if caught on it, and I picked up on that. I didn't think to use the term "misuse", seeing it even now seems a bit euphemistic. I think it would be more of a disservice to be euphemistic towards a possible addict, than overly strict with someone who isn't, if I was to err one way of the other.

Case in point a few years back in the SA opiate thread there was a goon who was swearing that they weren't an addict, but they got some heroin from a friend and stashed it "just in case". Everyone was like "what do you mean 'just in case', what the gently caress would the case be?!", and the OP kept doubling down and downplaying it. It did not go OP's way.

Maybe I am a pearl clutcher but I've seen more than enough to be mega leery about handing that stuff out. I'll leave it at that.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

Like you said, you didn't just take it later but you took it at not a particularly safe time, knew you'd be turbofucked if caught on it, and I picked up on that. I didn't think to use the term "misuse", seeing it even now seems a bit euphemistic. I think it would be more of a disservice to be euphemistic towards a possible addict, than overly strict with someone who isn't, if I was to err one way of the other.

Case in point a few years back in the SA opiate thread there was a goon who was swearing that they weren't an addict, but they got some heroin from a friend and stashed it "just in case". Everyone was like "what do you mean 'just in case', what the gently caress would the case be?!", and the OP kept doubling down and downplaying it. It did not go OP's way.

Maybe I am a pearl clutcher but I've seen more than enough to be mega leery about handing that stuff out. I'll leave it at that.

Yeah man that's fair. I've read some of those same threads myself and they are absolute horror stories of denial and equivocation. I've been lucky enough to avoid opiate addiction and my experience with it is basically third hand, but any on-ramp to it, especially when presented to young people joining a lifestyle not known for its self-control, is something better avoided. Anyway peace, hope this convo didn't raise anyone's blood pressure. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Another goon gifted this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/30/us/politics/trump-legal-fees.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Rk0.drxY.Dn6lD86XioET&bgrp=c&smid=url-share

:lol: that trump spent $50m of donated campaign money on personal legal expenses last year.