Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Toddler boy got the family cold. Second week in a row of skipping swim lessons. He's all sad and sleepy. Bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Took him nearly four years, but my youngest finally got COVID :toot:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Struensee posted:

I'm just pre-scarring my kids before they see some old man drying his junk with a hairdryer in the changing rooms at the local pool.

That old man needs to get with the times. You use the Dyson air blade for that now

(I've yet to build up the courage to teabag a Dyson air blade but one day I will achieve my dream)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
During bath time with infant I was singing dad songs that dad knows the lyrics to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENXvZ9YRjbo

When I hit that run at "Drowning in the floooooood" she was clambering to climb out the tub. Exact same "nope I'm out" reaction that happens when a drop of water touches her face. Toddler boy wandered over and said "Daddy Squak" which is a most viscous review that Pitchfork could never come up with given 1000 years.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

kecske posted:

kid is still up hours past his bedtime, beside himself that he doesn't want us to die and leave him alone :smith:

honestly, same

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sometimes i think about my kids and how i feel about them and honestly the depth of love, the strength of it, what a gift

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
OTOH my youngest son gave me a flying headbutt last night, forehead to forehead. Still feeling the love this morning.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

lobster shirt posted:

sometimes i think about my kids and how i feel about them and honestly the depth of love, the strength of it, what a gift

yeah i love being a dad to my daughter. wish I could do it all for her but life is full of compromises.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

2 year old really wanted my seltzer water so I filled up his cup and watched him take a big swig and open his mouth in horror as it all dripped out

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Tricking a child into drinking carbonated water is one of life's little pleasures

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Microplastics posted:

Tricking a child into drinking carbonated water is one of life's little pleasures

it’s “spicy water”

I get it. when I was a kid and on a flight the water was carbonated I was like wtf.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

I used to do this but now I'm too tired.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I used to do this but now I'm too tired.

por que no los dos

vibing on parenthood while simultaneously feeling drop dead tired makes for a weird kind of delirious high

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My two year old shouts 'BITES!' so I scoop him up and start gently biting him and between fits of giggles he shouts 'NO BITES! NO BITES!' :3:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

i find that feeling powerful and sometimes overwhelming and im not sure what that means

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I tell my kids I love them so much that they can tell when I'm going to say it. the other day my older son said "dad, I'm your son. you have to love me."

and that's kinda true. no matter what I or he does, I just keep lovin him. can't stop won't stop.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my 14 month old daughter has finally started to learn to walk. which is great! except for the part that entails a lot of falling -- she came from daycare today with a huge scrape and bruise on her face, it looks like she was in a boxing match lol. but on the plus side they said she took five or six steps unaided, so thats great. go little girl!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

my 14 month old daughter has finally started to learn to walk. which is great! except for the part that entails a lot of falling -- she came from daycare today with a huge scrape and bruise on her face, it looks like she was in a boxing match lol. but on the plus side they said she took five or six steps unaided, so thats great. go little girl!

Only four months ahead of you, but the scrapes and bruises only get more impressive when they add climbing and running to the mix.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Microplastics posted:

My two year old shouts 'BITES!' so I scoop him up and start gently biting him and between fits of giggles he shouts 'NO BITES! NO BITES!' :3:

It's cute but I was always careful to be sure to respect bodily autonomy, because I feel like some unintentional lessons start early.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Infant daughter, you have had second breakfast and it is now time for lunch nap bottle. Today, instead of twinkly music or white noise I'm setting up curated video essays to lull you to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSavCIms638

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Microplastics posted:

this u op?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Every time my wife or inlaws bite my kids I hijack every screen within eyeshot to play this song at max volume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6UWNA-WQgI

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son loves to demand to be tickled, then yell stop stop, then say do it again

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

This is standard toddler behavior AFAICT

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

deranged

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

loquacius posted:

should be the canned response to every parenting op ever

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
toddlers just don't make any sense other than they're basically getting hit with big emotions randomly with no understanding of how best to handle them

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

4yo demanded breakfast 90 minutes before he normally wakes up, ate two bites, and dumped the rest in the sink

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ikanreed posted:

It's cute but I was always careful to be sure to respect bodily autonomy, because I feel like some unintentional lessons start early.

Oh I'm deffo conscious of this, and can't say I'm not slightly worried he'll think he can bite someone (in a playful way) at nursery thinking it's OK

But so far it's been confined to me and him

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mustached Demon posted:

4yo demanded breakfast 90 minutes before he normally wakes up, ate two bites, and dumped the rest in the sink

*slides over the video they give you at the hospital about not shaking your baby* here, it turns out people need this for toddlers too

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

fosborb posted:

*slides over the video they give you at the hospital about not shaking your baby* here, it turns out people need this for toddlers too

The first time I really felt like a parent was when my then-newborn was just screaming and screaming inconsolably. I didn't shake her but that feeling... it was definitely like "Oh, I get it now, that's why they have to tell you that explicitly."

Fun when you get to revisit it every now and again.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chad Sexington posted:

The first time I really felt like a parent was when my then-newborn was just screaming and screaming inconsolably. I didn't shake her but that feeling... it was definitely like "Oh, I get it now, that's why they have to tell you that explicitly."

Fun when you get to revisit it every now and again.

yeah, the mixture of helplessness, not feeling like you can walk away from this tiny little thing that needs your help, sleep deprivation, and rising frustration with the situation is a nasty mix. i get it too. I'm glad the advice of "if it's unbearable just put the baby down for 5 minutes in a crib and walk away" is becoming more widespread

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

fosborb posted:

I put blaze on and took a shower

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I realized a couple days ago that as a parent I'm actually not mad at Bean Dad

like, I was a parent when he posted his bean story too I guess but I'm a parent of a toddler now which is different than being the parent of a baby.

If you don't remember or are just less online than me, Bean Dad was a podcast guy who told a story that he told his 9-year-old daughter to open a can of beans, realized he had never taught her how to use a can opener, and refused to tell her how to do it until she figured out how to do it herself, and eventually she did, but it took six loving hours. He went viral on Twitter for this because people were calling it child abuse. Now, I think he's probably a lovely teacher if it took six hours to communicate this lesson, and he probably should have given her a few more hints by the 45-minute mark or thereabouts, but I can get the idea behind it in that learning how to figure stuff out by yourself is a valuable skill to teach children, and I know by now that you have to force children to learn lessons sometimes and they don't want to let you do that. But a lot of people on the Internet don't have kids and see stories like this from the viewpoint of a frustrated nine-year-old rather than from the viewpoint of a parent, which is why they call everything abuse.

That said, though, the incident dredged up a bunch of edgy racism stuff he'd said in the past so still gently caress that guy

loquacius has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Jan 30, 2024

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

that story was obvious bullshit since no nine year old is going to focus on any single project for six hours

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

To potty-train a toddler you have to show them the potty and tell them that they're not allowed to poop or pee until they figure out how to use it. Obviously this is abuse

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Bean dad did nothing wrong.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If my kid wants to spend six hours learning how to use something I say let 'em.
Unless they can get hurt or ask for help why is this wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son loves to watch me use the can opener but he is too little to use it, cannot be trusted to operate it himself. he wants to so bad though.