Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Katamari Democracy posted:

My 2nd playthrough so far is my new Battlemage. I have not played Elden Ring in a good while so im starting all the way over.

Level 35 while aiming to starting to progress Stormveil Castle and upwards. Leveled up summons and got some good equipment to progress forward this time around. My first playthrough I didnt know you can level up summons as well as a bunch of other things. Im having way more fun than I remember on my first character.

Current progression so far. I leveled up Dex and Int enough to where I feel I do not need to level it up (Dex 16 / INT 23).

Got to get more Vigor to survive my spellblade build. So far it has carried me to this point with experience from my original build but different. Officially got the Elden Ring itch again and im in this for the long haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fought the Fire Giant tonight, did not beat the fire giant tonight but got to phase two once. I just can't keep myself focused on his legs while also trying to figure out which slow attack he's telegraphing without getting smashed into a paste. He's definitely beatable it's just frustrating trying to wrangle the camera for fights with giants like that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Switched my affinity to lightning, which the Leyndell knights really didn't seem to like. This enabled me to break through, so I am FINISHED with Leyndell (apart from the sewer ruins which I am avoiding because the (dung eater?) said something about opening a door to free him?

I found the real roundtable hold though :(

Margate was a fun boss. Margit? Morgott. Whoever, his attacks were not too crazy but just powerful enough to keep me on my toes. I came here to kick rear end and become Elden Lord, and I'm all out of serpent arrows Elden Lords.

On a scale of 1-10 how forbidden are these lands I found at the bottom of this lift?

TINY RANNI WANTS ME TO MURDER A GUY

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Switched my affinity to lightning, which the Leyndell knights really didn't seem to like. This enabled me to break through, so I am FINISHED with Leyndell (apart from the sewer ruins which I am avoiding because the (dung eater?) said something about opening a door to free him?

You should free him, it absolutely won't cause any problems down the line. He's just a misunderstood guy wearing some ominous armor and a bad nickname.

If you want to give him the ending he deserves, you need to free him so you can feed him Seluvis' potion after. Then you can still kill him and get his armor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Dung Eater is more of a side bonus in the sewers, it's a whole dungeon with boss as well

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

When I start a new playthrough, I want to try and do as much of the quest stuff as possible, as I feel like loads of stuff has been missed on my first one.

I have the strategy guide, but I'm thinking that some quests must have been added/changed since it was printed? Is there a good guide on "order to do things" that lets you maximise the questy stuff?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

No Dignity posted:

Any time an armchair designer comes in telling us how they should 'improve' these games I think they should be placed into a large cannon and shot into a toxic swamp, personally. It's always, always just 'defang any bit of tension or friction I don't like', as we see here

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

why are you empty quoting a post from 20 pages ago at no-one

is this the equivalent of those enemies that heavily telegraph a parry/counter? (Did ER even have many of those?)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

why are you empty quoting a post from 20 pages ago at no-one

is this the equivalent of those enemies that heavily telegraph a parry/counter? (Did ER even have many of those?)

Yes but they're lying most of the time

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its kind of an eternally relevant sentiment. For any video game.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Just got done with my pure faith run. Thanks for the tips everyone, it was both fun and easy.

Some thoughts, 2 years after the launch:

I wish a lot of the good faith stuff wasn't backloaded, same with weapons.

Liurnia is now my most disliked region

I've softened a lot on the post-Leyndell portion of the game, except the Haligtree. Random knights should not have like 7500HP and a full heal. I will never get game design that discourages combat, and it being an optional area is neither an explanation or an excuse. You can sit there and parry them and never take damage but they still take forever to kill. The revenant gauntlet, thanks to heals, was trivial.

I never had an easier time at Malenia than by lobbing fire at her. Elden beast was a oneshot (Radagon wasn't tho) thanks to pest threads.

A++ would play faith again

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's enemies in the Haligtree that can heal??

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pure Faith is numero uno. What was your tactic for Malenia? For my pure faith run I went with FotFG -> Sprint up when she gets knocked down -> charged Burn, O Flame! -> uncharged Burn, O Flame! and just did that until she died. Fire and stuff that throws her around is insanely good against her, and they do both, it's the only time fighting her has been actual fun lol

I never even knew Haligtree knights could heal. They're such reliable fodder I use the Prayer Room run to the Princess Bride courtyard to test weapons. Ol' reliable Lightning Spear and Crucible Horns mowed through them

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hit the knights with your sword until they die imo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The enemy health scaling in late game ER is definitely absurd though. It’s a good thing the game gives you so many different opportunities to become hyper-powered and blow the curve. I went back and did a DS1 run recently and realized that Knight Artorias has less health than a Haligtree knight.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Epic High Five posted:

Pure Faith is numero uno. What was your tactic for Malenia? For my pure faith run I went with FotFG -> Sprint up when she gets knocked down -> charged Burn, O Flame! -> uncharged Burn, O Flame! and just did that until she died. Fire and stuff that throws her around is insanely good against her, and they do both, it's the only time fighting her has been actual fun lol

I'd open with Flame of the Fell God as she walked menacingly at me for a free knockdown, then I'd run up to her and use Burn, O Flame. Depending on whether she did Waterfowl next I'd run/dodge and/or hit her again with Burn. By this point phase 1's done.

Phase 2 was where most of the repeats came from as she's way more agressive and runs past Flame of the Fell God easily. I'd have to wait for an opening to use Burn, and try to kite her with Flame, Fall Upon Them (fantastic spell btw, super cheap for how good it is at both single targets and groups). Like in phase 1 tho, hitting her twice with Burn after damaging her some with Flame just kills her.

Edit: So pretty much what you did lol

On Knights: yeah I didn't know they healed until this playthrough! I wasn't reliably getting them to flinch using spells so I had to resort to parry and jumping attacks to get it done. I slept on crucible horns lol.

In truth there's only like 5 knights in the whole area but it's a slog to kill all of them if you want to take a look around in peace

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 30, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Its kind of an eternally relevant sentiment. For any video game.

I don't think it's entirely wrong but it also just feels particularly antagonistic because souls fans feel a bit infamous for getting really upset at anyone even suggesting that it'd be neat if there was an easy mode or accessibility settings (possibly unhelpfully suggesting that co-op summons -is- the easy mode!) To try not to get too deep on that subject, I agree that overcoming adversity as absolute an intent of the series - lowering barriers/difficulty can still provide that some experience to an audience that might have not otherwise had an opportunity, while on the other hand I also agree that providing those options can sometimes lead players to maybe too quickly opt-out of an "intended" experience. Lot of it just comes down to personal tastes and philosophies that you value more or less.

In other words: The armchair devs are sometimes the people who also insist change/adaptation is impossible.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's still weird to me how weak Cleanrot Knights are, everything about their lore and design suggests they should be horribly aggressive dex build knights with super aggressive and unpredictable combos, but they're just complete pushovers at every point in the same

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

No Dignity posted:

It's still weird to me how weak Cleanrot Knights are, everything about their lore and design suggests they should be horribly aggressive dex build knights with super aggressive and unpredictable combos, but they're just complete pushovers at every point in the same

The sad fate of those who rely on faith casting

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crucible Horns is a spell I found in my darkest moments getting whooped up down and sideways by knights in Leyndell, and once I did I became the one doing the whoopin and became a convert.

Glad to hear that rotation worked for others and wasn't just freak luck for me, I think I was in and out of that fight on the successful attempt (#2 with this method, like #30 overall) in under 2 minutes, though I guess I did luck out because I could get her with FotFG in phase 2 by I think running away after she started a move and timing it for when she was closing the gap and walked right into it.

I can't remember if she waterfowled or not, I don't think so, but my previous like 15 attempts were all trying to make lightning spear work which seemed to bait her into doing it over and over. I was averaging having to dodge 8 of them per attempt and so got really good at being a huge moron as is my style in these games

Flame, Fall Upon is the one slot shotgun spell right? That one really punches above its weight, it's a shame it comes so late

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Doing your little block repel is nice, but not if it engenders passivity

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

BigHandsVince posted:

When I start a new playthrough, I want to try and do as much of the quest stuff as possible, as I feel like loads of stuff has been missed on my first one.

I have the strategy guide, but I'm thinking that some quests must have been added/changed since it was printed? Is there a good guide on "order to do things" that lets you maximise the questy stuff?

https://roundtablehold.net/checklists/tldr_all_npc_quest_stepsin_order.html is my go-to.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Epic High Five posted:

Flame, Fall Upon is the one slot shotgun spell right? That one really punches above its weight, it's a shame it comes so late

Yeah, one slot, good range, wide arc. If I could only have a single fire spell it'd be that one for sure. It was my bread and butter along with Discus of Light.

I'm hoping the DLC adds more lightning nukes you can actually throw. Lightning spear, IMO, is the best spell of the lot, and frozen lightning spear the best one among the 'isn't actually thrown' lot. The others are just too hard to actually use in PVE, even with improved casting poise.

Edit: I guess Ancient Dragons' Lightning Strike's pretty good too

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the best fire stuff being all the way down in mountaintops makes me sad. giantsflame take thee is one of my favorite long-distance artillery spells for invasions

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

No Dignity posted:

Doing your little block repel is nice, but not if it engenders passivity

Actually this is my biggest issue with ER (and to a lesser extent, DS3). There's no way to take and hold the initiative against a huge block of HP like that because advantageous trades are impossible. Once any enemy decides to hyperarmor through your agression and you can't kill it in your next hit that's it so the fastest way to get it done is to just react to what it's doing imo. A lot of enemies, bosses included, feel like they're designed to punish aggression based on the amount of HP they have alone

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd agree with that as applied to Crucible Knights, but it really does leave Cleanrots open because you just bait it, roll out and then punish them afterwards

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat I wish I had this sooner.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

No Dignity posted:

There's enemies in the Haligtree that can heal??
The haligtree knights can drink flasks, and unlike most enemies their flasks heal them all the way to full

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/Nestor_Encinas/status/1752149181693882777?t=8wlsZN5eM9eIxSgvs9818A&s=19

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Based on Epic High Five's epic advice, I rerolled into my STR/FTH paladin build to gently caress around with the Miquellan Knight's Sword. After spending a couple hours with it, I find the lack of range on the straight swords to be sort of unsatisfactory whilst using a shield. I feel like powerstancing straight swords is where they really shine? Also, I felt like I was whiffing too much trying to poke with light attacks foir guard counters, until I switched to using the MKS's heavy attack for the little forward dash before the vertical slash. That hits pretty hard, catches most humanoid enemies on the back foot, and felt really satisfying to land. The AoW is also extremely satisfying to use. I tried it with Alexander's Shard at first, but I think it gets more juice from the +Holy DMG scorpion talisman overall thanks to the weapon buff. On the advice of discord buds I also tried the Blasphemous Blade, which is comically good. It hits that holy trifecta of looking gnarly, hitting like a truck, and having a good and useful AoW. It felt good enough I actually went so far as to swap to an earlier save before the final boss room so I could see how the sword n' board playstyle worked on Radagon and Elden Beast.

Radagon was a chump thanks to a mix of blackflame incants and the Blasphemous Blade AoW. Hiding behind a greatshield during his hammer combos (once I rememberd to stop dodging and shield up) trivialized a lot of stuff that had given me trouble before as a pure INT caster. The Elden Beast was...more challenging. Having not tried that as a melee-focused build before, I spent a LOT of time huffing and puffing while I waddled around its arena trying to get in range for blackflame shenanigans. I really missed my sorceries for that part! :mad:

While I was messing around with the Miquellan Knight Sword I decided to go re-visit the Mountaintop of the Giants Deathbird, who basically pushed my face in every time I tried it before. Not so with the Miquellan Knight Sword! Big Bird got mulched with holy damage. :getin: Which brings me to my current dilemma: the Death Ritual Spear may be my new favorite weapon in the game. It checks every single box for me - it looks awesome, has a great moveset, the INT scaling feels like it's doing more than the in-game stats would suggest, the AoW is awesome and seems to be equally good on packs of weenies and big monsters too. I wish I had gotten it ages ago! Like so many cool items, it being stuck behind a bastard of a field boss in a late-game zone really limits my non NG+ opportunities to play with it. As it stands, it's making me want to do an INT melee NG+ using the DRS and the glintstone kris, what was until last night my favorite INT weapon in the game. I was so sure I was going to do a FTH run next! Maybe I'm just destined to be an INT guy.

Elden Ring is so wild, there are so many cool weapons and ashes of war I want to try out. I think I'm going to be playing this game for the next 10 years.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Straight Swords are also the only weapon that gets Square Off which is a massive source of power.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the main thing that keeps me from making a bunch of builds is I hate having to go around and collect everything all over again

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

actionjackson posted:

the main thing that keeps me from making a bunch of builds is I hate having to go around and collect everything all over again

Just respec and do an NG+ cycle?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

JBP posted:

Just respec and do an NG+ cycle?

well I do like the couple characters I have, and already respecced them a bit. one is a level 150 with about 50 str, dex, and pretty high vigor. kind of an all purpose build for non-magic/incantations. the other is around level 80 and is mostly faith, using a lordsworn straight sword and a few incantations.

also with NG+ going around having to redo all the martyr effigies, sites of grace, etc. is annoying as hell

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, NG+ with a respec or just ask someone here to drop it for you at the start of your next one if you really want to do a whole game playthrough with it. I'm always conflicted about end game items because it's too late in the game to really enjoy them, and just doing NG over and over is way more fun.

The Blasphemous Blade is basically a cheat code, as you've seen. Just ludicrously powerful and built to max out its power for str/fai which is already the Jack of All Trades, Also Master of All Trades build.

If you're doing an INT magical blade build for your next one, I highly recommend Death's Poker which you can get instantly and the Wing of Astel which is past Radahn.

Straight Swords aren't bad reach-wise but they certainly feel it if you're coming from greatswords or colossal swords. The heavy makes up for it tho, and so does the R2 on the ash of war which is one of the most posture damaging attacks in the entire game and exclusive to the class. They're very, very good as far as bread and butter weapons go. Powerstancing them turns you into a DPS machine but I don't powerstance because I really don't like giving up a shield and guard counters. You can still guard counter with the Starscourge swords (my favorite weapon in the game, my next playthrough will use it exclusively like my first did as soon as I got it) and the Ornamental Straight Swords, because both of these give you a 2nd weapon when you two-hand but keep the R1 as the powerstance attack.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm really curious how the DLC/expansion is going to be placed & balanced in terms of difficulty and access.

I have to imagine with how big Elden Ring is, they can't really stick it as deep in as typical Souls DLCs - or at least it feels like it'd be weird for a lot of players to be put in a position of having to drop like 20-30 hours possibly releveling a character or pushing through NG+ to get to the DLC. Also, with those bits in mind, I also can't imagine they can have it kicking your rear end completely out of the gate, like how The Ringed City in DS3 kind of was like?

Also with how big of a deal the open world was, I almost wonder if the DLC will be much more connected to the main game then a typical Souls DLC, either outright connected to the map, or at least, interconnected with multiple entry/exit points that create a web of new routes through the game?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
To access the DLC you must open The Chest and beat that dungeon, but it locks out at rune level 20.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It'll be really interesting if it's a mid-game DLC because of the millions of players with 5+ characters at 150 and having beaten the game ready to go lol. Maybe give us a covenant at the start to make it harder and also as an introduction to covenants, which are back, you can be a sunbro or disgusting rat again!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

No Dignity posted:

I think it's because it's been an interminable amount of time since the shattering, which is when they were at their prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Im betting the DLC is something you can access after beating Mohg. Probably have to touch that egg