Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Deadite posted:

Have they talked at all about the victims’ families? I can’t remember if it’s explained but it feels really weird that they have five dead guys and no family members have come to see them or are calling constantly for answers.

That and a seemingly total lack of press coverage. You’d think something like this would get out fast and CNN would be there the CNN ext day.

This show seems to have a real casual attitude towards the central mystery

They mentioned the families are all around the world so it might take a while to notify them all but that's about it.

There's this incoherence between the central mystery and the rest of the show. It'll all be related plot-wise, probably, but it feels like 2 or 3 different shows mashed together. There's a lack of thematic consistency which is something every prior season has done a generally good job with, even S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I was going to say maybe they’re trying to keep it under wraps until the handoff but then I remembered that they paraded the corpsicle through town, put it in the communities largest public gathering space (and let anyone walk in whenever they want) and a bunch of the on-scene cops were taking selfies with it to post on social media / text their friends.

So yeah there’s no way it’s not global news right now, akin to billionaire submarine last year.

I’d expect at least some lovely podcasters lol

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
They also rounded up a posse of rednecks to hunt down the suspect, so now everyone knows that all but one of the scientists are now dead and the lone live one is the suspect.

They should have set this show in the 40s or something so the lack of communication with the outside world would at least seem plausible

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Deadite posted:

Have they talked at all about the victims’ families?
They very specifically had an entire argument about Danvers trying to keep a lid on the whole thing.

To the people who are mad about the pessimism of the thread or sad that some people are bad at watching TV, take note: It only takes one specific scene to make an entire episode feel wasted. I recognize all the various bits of progression this episode had but the thing that gave me that feeling of thumb twiddling wasn't something I could realize until I scanned through the episode again to figure it out; it's the scene where they meet the guy who used to work at the station. They go there and the viewer thinks "OK, time to get some new information."

They meet a guy ready to murder someone for trying to talk to him. He mentions Navarro not remembering her native name, letting us know why Navarro has a hangup about her name and that this guy is an rear end in a top hat. When he hears his friends died and one of them is in a coma, he is disarmed and becomes distraught. "Okay, now we're getting somewhere," the viewer thinks, "he's going to explain something important."

Nope. The guy immediately threatens to kill the people who gave him new information about people he cared about and we are tossed back into the snowy winds. Oh, wait, coma guy woke up! Maybe now we'll get some hints at what's going on? "She's awake, also your mom sucks cocks in hell. *dies*" Oh. Never mind.

Maybe it doesn't immediately hit you that this sort of unsatisfying scene will color how you feel about the episode. Maybe the scene is really important in a later episode. But in this moment of not being able to watch the rest of the season, it feels like wasted time, which in a 6 episode season feels like really wasted time.

I will say this, though. There are so many dangling threads right now that I will, at the end of the season, have to give a nod if they manage to believably wrap them all up. The season's in an incredibly difficult spot right now so I can't help but be intrigued.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 30, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Despera posted:

Would really like to see what Danvers tinder profile looked like.

Olga from Russia, matched with hawks

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GABA ghoul posted:

It's not an obstacle. The writers use the phone encryption/lock screen so that they don't have to deal with the information from the phone immediately when the phone is introduced, but when they actually want to and when it would be good for the story. It's one of the most basic storytelling techniques in the world. The goddamn Greeks did it already when Zeus was out of office for the day and Hercules had to come back the next day to speak to him or whatever

I wonder if there is a word for an obstruction in a linear path that serves to delay the protagonist. It really chaps my balls when it is so easy. Maybe a portmanteau of obstruction and testicle, obtesticle

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Deadite posted:

They also rounded up a posse of rednecks to hunt down the suspect

Ah yes, I enjoyed the horn sound of the General Lee to pound that into the viewer.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The tinder beeps are going to be from Cohle or something aren't they?

grobbo
May 29, 2014

DaveKap posted:

I will say this, though. There are so many dangling threads right now that I will, at the end of the season, have to give a nod if they manage to believably wrap them all up. The season's in an incredibly difficult spot right now so I can't help but be intrigued.

Yeah, whatever happens, I'm excited to see that ending, if only to understand what caused all these critical reactions:

BBC: In that last episode, it may be hard to buy what caused the men's vanishing act, an explanation that leaves you thinking, Really?

Hollywood Reporter: The story builds to a finale and resolution that I found simultaneously silly and consistent with the messages of the show I’d been watching, though I’m sure it will polarize

CNN: The premise ultimately feels a little too out there and “X-Files”-ish for its own good, and while the resolution brings the disparate threads together, it labors to resolve them.

EW: Night Country benefits from a second viewing, especially since the “who” in the “whodunnit” will almost certainly come as a surprise. (No spoilers, but the reveal is viscerally satisfying.)

That last one is interesting - the silliness and X-Files mentions lead us towards the pathogen theory, but then what villainous reveal on that front could possibly be both hugely surprising and hugely satisfying?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Navarro did it

There's my guess idk sure why not

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think this show is awful, but it really lacks the confidence of the previous seasons, and it's relying on so many tired and lazy writing tropes and it's not like the acting is carrying it like it was in season 3.

Jodie Foster: "LMAO you pray???? Talk to your god????????"

Navarro: "No.............. I listen................."

Jodie Foster: *Stunned silence over how insightful this comment was*

Like come on

It felt like they wanted to write a Rust and Marty Car Convo with some of the beliefs reversed but yeah i think it's just not as confidently done.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Whale Vomit posted:

A show where our young detective asks around and figures out how to exploit an old device would be better than it happening off screen to no purpose.

The purpose is Danvers trusting the young cop to be resourceful and independent. She's training him to be a good detective by empowering him to chase leads / threads on his own rather than waiting for directions. She knows he has a lovely overbearing father that waffles between neglect and violence, so she's delegating an important task to him as a sign of respect. She got super pissed at the accusation that she's grooming the kid. Probably because she actually cares about him and sees potential there.

Or you know you could just do lazy thread making GBS threads like a lot of others here.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

Wonder if the original show title was just Night Country.

Remove the spiral, Tuttles, and Travis and there's no connection at all to S1 so far, so guess we'll see if anything else shows up. Maybe the ex prostitute Marty was cheating with appears and says wow I used to know Travis's son's former partner, Marty Hart, isn't that incredible?

I was wondering the same thing so I looked it up and, yeah, that's exactly how it started.

https://ew.com/true-detective-night-country-silence-of-the-lambs-nods-chilling-new-season-8416223

mystes
May 31, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The purpose is Danvers trusting the young cop to be resourceful and independent. She's training him to be a good detective by empowering him to chase leads / threads on his own rather than waiting for directions. She knows he has a lovely overbearing father that waffles between neglect and violence, so she's delegating an important task to him as a sign of respect.
This seems like going too far in the other direction to giving her too much credit.

Like, yeah she is training him to be a good detective, but she's also kind of being an rear end in a top hat in ways that definitely aren't helping him become a good detective.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

mystes posted:

Like, yeah she is training him to be a good detective, but she's also kind of being an rear end in a top hat in ways that definitely aren't helping him become a good detective.

Other than the general dicki-ishness? Because some of that I could see being a reverse Mr Miyagi:

Captain Peter, years later: Hey chief. Why did you treat me so poorly way back when?
Danvers: So you'd get tired of putting up with it, go to grad school, and teach biology or some poo poo. And not live the life I had. You were too nice for it.

And another part would def. be her only having him to trust when it came to both important and mundane parts of the investigation.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

For this series, are ghosts/spirits confirmed to exist, at least for the native residents of town? The orange being tossed back on the ice/the ghost leading to the bodies both seemed pretty concrete that something unexplained is impacting the story. Maybe the orange could be from a playful polar bear, but that part didn't make sense when I watched it late last night.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised this thread seems so down on the show. I am absolutely in love with the visuals and dig the creepy vibes. Double excited that this looks to actually follow through on the supernatural elements I thought season 1 was leading to.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Soonmot posted:

Double excited that this looks to actually follow through on the supernatural elements I thought season 1 was leading to.

Don't get too excited.

For obvious, obvious reasons whether for instance the spirit of Travis Cole led Rose to the bodies, she show him but he wasn't actually necessarily there, or he was neither there nor did she see him but felt his presence, will absolutely never be revealed or elaborated upon. That'd be the wrong kind of publicity for the show.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I'm surprised this thread seems so down on the show. I am absolutely in love with the visuals and dig the creepy vibes. Double excited that this looks to actually follow through on the supernatural elements I thought season 1 was leading to.

The visuals: I do like the look of it, but I live in a northern area, so watching this in on a January night after almost freezing my toes off at my kids hockey practice doesn't bring me much joy. I don't know if this is just me, but Jodie Foster looks so off that it is distracting to me. Is it the makeup, too much plastic surgery or just me getting used to a nice new HD tv, but she looks distractingly plastic.

I also just don't get the Danvers character. Her talk about prayer in the truck in episode 3 was so strange. Why would you laugh at someone for praying, when you live in a small rural American town? She seems like a terrible person trying to act good enough to fit into society.

Creepy vibes: Seeing the supernatural elements just makes me wish for a season 1 that did fully follow through on all of the Ancient Ones horror that was hinted at. I was never convinced that evils beyond description were going to show up, but what if they did!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Soonmot posted:

Agreed. I honesty don't care if it is just the anticipated mine-waste or thawed-biohazard hallucinations, I like how it's progressing and being presented.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I personally liked how S1 toed the line with the supernatural stuff, keeping things largely grounded in reality but peppering in moments that allowed for your own interpretation. Having a bunch of people turn into basically zombies is not quite as subtle.

It would be easier to judge this show on its own merits as a supernatural horror murder mystery of sorts, but HBO looked at the show Lopez wanted to make and figured the best way to get people interested would be to slap the "True Detective" brand on it and shoehorn in some forced references to the first season. I think that was a mistake, but who knows - maybe the last few episodes will tie everything together.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I also don’t think the imagery is very creepy. Other than the yarn people which was admittedly pretty cool looking. But most of the show has been super over lit with digital lighting or not really obscured at all so it ends up looking very silly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The imagery isn't creepy, the vibes are. Also watching this makes me so mad over how they botched the movie adaptation of Whiteout, which was a great arctic murder mystery comicbook.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
My biggest problem with the show is the lack of urgency around solving the mystery. If this town is small and remote, and the latest theory on what happened is that a scientist went nuts and killed all of his coworkers and is now at large in the wilderness, why don't we see any effect on the town? Everyone is still living like it's just some every day issue and not that there's a potential mass murderer on the loose.

And that goes for the cops too. This is probably the biggest crime in the state at the moment and the best response they have is the local inept police department who can't even find a medical professional to examine the bodies. The manhunt for their murder suspect consisted of guys rounded up at the bar.

It just feels like if the characters don't care about solving the case then why should the audience?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Carwash oval office posted:

The visuals: I do like the look of it, but I live in a northern area, so watching this in on a January night after almost freezing my toes off at my kids hockey practice doesn't bring me much joy. I don't know if this is just me, but Jodie Foster looks so off that it is distracting to me. Is it the makeup, too much plastic surgery or just me getting used to a nice new HD tv, but she looks distractingly plastic.

I also just don't get the Danvers character. Her talk about prayer in the truck in episode 3 was so strange. Why would you laugh at someone for praying, when you live in a small rural American town? She seems like a terrible person trying to act good enough to fit into society.

Creepy vibes: Seeing the supernatural elements just makes me wish for a season 1 that did fully follow through on all of the Ancient Ones horror that was hinted at. I was never convinced that evils beyond description were going to show up, but what if they did!

she is down on praying because as a mother who lost her young son, her prayers went unanswered.

Deadite posted:

My biggest problem with the show is the lack of urgency around solving the mystery. If this town is small and remote, and the latest theory on what happened is that a scientist went nuts and killed all of his coworkers and is now at large in the wilderness, why don't we see any effect on the town? Everyone is still living like it's just some every day issue and not that there's a potential mass murderer on the loose.

And that goes for the cops too. This is probably the biggest crime in the state at the moment and the best response they have is the local inept police department who can't even find a medical professional to examine the bodies. The manhunt for their murder suspect consisted of guys rounded up at the bar.

It just feels like if the characters don't care about solving the case then why should the audience?

I don't think the entire town knows about the corpseberg. or they have heard about it but it is just a rumour. there was also a 'murderer on the loose' when annie was murdered but nothing came of that, so they are jaded in the first place.

I think the cops are keeping things as quiet as they can, and danvers and navarro are going from lead to lead as fast as they can. I expect that as far as state cops are concerned there is no evidence of a murder, just a bunch of guys dead in the ice. they have a single suspect but they can also say he is also dead and lost in the ice somewhere without any real repercussions. they can brush it all under the rug the same way they did with the brutal murder of annie.

I personally am feeling pretty happy with this show, it is more bleak and with an even more unlikable detective than Mare of Easttown, so antisocial that you just really like her. I am enjoying the mystery a lot and have a theory on what is going on. it is 100% supernatural but it will end up being covered up and reported as just another depressing series of deaths among marginalized people

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 30, 2024

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Turpitude posted:

I think the cops are keeping things as quiet as they can

Are we watching the same show?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

pig labeled 3 posted:

Are we watching the same show?

well at least two errors they made blatantly were the girl in the hockey rink and the hicks. those guys, and of course the cops themselves, could be telling everyone in town all the gruesome details, I guess, but I don't get that vibe from this town. what I mean about the quiet part is that the public fully knows they found a bunch of dead guys, but they haven't been let in on the particularities of their deaths, and I don't think they are being told a madman somehow murdered all his co workers and vanished into the wasteland either.

i think even the closest 'real' forensics team/city PD is probably deeply flawed, i think this is a world where these guys are going to get their cause of death listed as "exposure" in the way that the (IRL example)city of thunder bay just writes the cause of death of everyone they find in the water as "drowning". doubly so because of the permanently dark, deadly cold environment being the last place an urban cop would want to spend their time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's 2 days before Christmas north of the arctic circle. They send Doctor Who up there, and they've been trying to send a forensics guy and probably others but its isolated and hard as gently caress to get there.

As far as a "killer on the loose" no one who has the best interests of the town is probably all that worried. You don't go crazy and run out onto the windswept ice sheet in the dark to become a threat later. You do so to go freeze to death. Dadcop is super interested and finding and killing that guy, lying to his good old boys about him being armed and dangerous, and shrugging off the "we want him alive right?" comment. He wants that last scientist dead, and its not because he's a genuine threat to the town. And even if he was a danger to the town, what are they supposed to do about it that they aren't doing already? Lock the town down? Post sentries at the gates?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Panzeh posted:

It felt like they wanted to write a Rust and Marty Car Convo with some of the beliefs reversed but yeah i think it's just not as confidently done.

“I don’t sleep, I just dream” only really worked because it was Matthew McConaughey delivering the line to a pissed off Woody Harrelson. I can’t think of two other actors who can toss each other meatballs like that.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

counterfeitsaint posted:

And even if he was a danger to the town, what are they supposed to do about it that they aren't doing already? Lock the town down? Post sentries at the gates?

Even if the cops can't do anything it would have been nice to see some kind of reaction from the people who live in the town. Unless the hillbilly posse is really a crack team of covert operatives I can't see them keeping the armed and dangerous fugitive possibly responsible for five murders a secret.

I think the big problem with this season is that they went too big with the mystery. Five dead people and one missing, all from the same workplace and in fact the only people in that workplace would be national news even if the deaths turned out to be accidental, and yet I don't think a single reporter has turned up in the show yet.

They should have made it be one scientist who was killed. One person dying mysteriously is easier to buy that they're able to keep it quiet. An entire workplace dying mysteriously feels too big to not attract outside attention.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Jodie Foster has had too much work is definitely not something that’s crossed my mind. If anything I’d have guessed none.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Deadite posted:

Uh, the cops from Anchorage did immediately try to take over the case because it's that high profile and they have the proper resources to handle it. The reason the inept local police department is handling it is because Danvers got to keep it temporarily on a bullshit technicality, not because they're actually the best response. She's still keeping why she kept it close to the chest.

The manhunt is explicitly Hank being insubordinate and acting without orders, Danvers tries to contact him to tell him to send those guys home but he's refusing to take her calls/orders.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 30, 2024

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
John Hawkes is absolutely killing as just the worst dude ever, by the way. Just total dogshit. Great performance.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

All the crap with the cop sister and cop daughter better go somewhere/tie in to anything because its pretty awful and a waste of screen time each week if they end up not mattering at all.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Loving the discussion and all the posts. This show feels like its running on the fumes of the reputation of a season literally a decade ago.
s1: amazing
s2: weird (in, imho) an incredible and underrated way
s3: blegh. good moments and acting but resolution ruined it.
s4: bad

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's been less than 72 hours since they found the bodies, again, during the holidays. I think you're ignoring just how isolated the place is. They specifically said there was a blizzard and the only means of reaching town, by air, is cut off. There very well could be some reporters covering the story already, and maybe even one was booked on the next flight along with the forensics guy who is also trying his best to get there, but the fact that they're not already on the ground in Ennis isn't at all surprising. It would be kind of stupid if there were.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
They don't have to show a press conference, they could just have a quick scene where Danvers gets a call from a reporter, or even have Pete mention that some news channel called about the case. As it currently is it appears that nobody cares that these deaths happened, even the cops don't seem too interested in it

It doesn't even seem like any families have called asking where their relatives are. They identified the Russian scientist from his wedding ring so you'd think he has a wife out there somewhere

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

algebra testes posted:

John Hawkes is absolutely killing as just the worst dude ever, by the way. Just total dogshit. Great performance.

It's been borderline jarring to see, as I only really know the actor from Deadwood where he's playing the West's biggest sweetheart. Sal, what happened my dude

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's been borderline jarring to see, as I only really know the actor from Deadwood where he's playing the West's biggest sweetheart. Sal, what happened my dude

If you're enjoying his performance you should watch Winter's Bone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Deadite posted:

They don't have to show a press conference, they could just have a quick scene where Danvers gets a call from a reporter, or even have Pete mention that some news channel called about the case. As it currently is it appears that nobody cares that these deaths happened, even the cops don't seem too interested in it

It doesn't even seem like any families have called asking where their relatives are. They identified the Russian scientist from his wedding ring so you'd think he has a wife out there somewhere

In the first episode there's a cop in the background trying to explain to one of the families that they were missing, but they're from Spain and don't speak english and it's really not going very well.