Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro

toasterwarrior posted:

Got a modlist code from the mod manager? I'm interested in seeing what you guys got cooking.

We published the pack yesterday, in fact!
https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/CraftyBastards/CraftyBastardsPack/

The default configs are kinda wonky, so if you'd like a zip of the server-side configs just let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Unrelated to the game itself, but I'm watching the official Discord server be taken over and run down by some script kiddies as I start my day.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Yeah apparently one of the mods didn't have dual authentication. RIP

And i was so excited for renowned developer Valheims new beta test RAM.zip too.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

Unrelated to the game itself, but I'm watching the official Discord server be taken over and run down by some script kiddies as I start my day.

That was very “fun” to watch happen live. Oh a notification! Oh. Oh dear.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Yeah made me a little sad, but come on folks.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Althalin posted:

The default configs are kinda wonky, so if you'd like a zip of the server-side configs just let me know.

Cheers, TY!

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Trying to get back into this game after a year plus break. My save was stuck on bonemass, who I just finally beat. Like what do I do next? Just explore around and what until More Cool Stuff happens? Wondering if theres anything that got added in the last year or so that was essential that I mightve missed or what not.

Fun to re-explore my old base and spruce it up with all the new cosmetics

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Ne Cede Malis posted:

Trying to get back into this game after a year plus break. My save was stuck on bonemass, who I just finally beat. Like what do I do next? Just explore around and what until More Cool Stuff happens? Wondering if theres anything that got added in the last year or so that was essential that I mightve missed or what not.

Now you venture into the mountains, and then the plains, and finally to the mistlands.

Mountains is a relatively short biome all things considered, and the plains is my favorite vibe in the whole game by a ton. Mistlands is...eh.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ne Cede Malis posted:

It’s not really spelled out that I remember but the main thing to do after beating Bonemass is to equip the wishbone, go to the mountains, and find silver. There is some other stuff to do there now as well.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

We set sail towards the far-off Moder marker and followed a coastline from black forest through swamp, plains, mistlands, mistlands on both sides of a narrow section of the ocean, plains on both sides, a big deadend/bay with plains all around and a little bit of swamp, and finally accidentally found Hildir after which we said gently caress it and portaled home and destroyed the boat and started over going the other direction/just walked to Moder. Glad we didn't bring anything non-portalable. :shepface:

Mistlands looks... interesting, compared to all the biomes I've known about for years, can't wait to slog through the plains progression and check them out.

On the other hand, I'm getting to the point where I'm worried about world progression enabling really annoying spawns at night in the meadows, so I'm afraid I'm gonna have to start digging a huge-rear end moat around our so far fairly unobtrusive home base so like our bees don't get eaten by weird monsters. Is that still how people generally deal with that?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If your group is the type to build a lot a friend and I had a lot of fun making a ridiculously sized place on top of the rock spires in the plains. If you get lucky enough to have 2 or possibly 3 close enough together you can use them as stability anchors for a very sizable foundation. How much iron you need for that foundation depends on how much space you want, and how much iron you’re willing to get, but you can have everything up there except farming. Spires can spawn pretty close to the coast as well so your dock can be close by too.

Assuming you’re still using the default portals you need a stairway leading up and around the spire to move ores and metal. Here’s where it starts to get a bit “game-y” though. If you remove 1 or 2 of the stair sections you also remove the ability of most monsters to path to you. On top of the pathing most of the rock spires are so tall that when you’re at the top the ground is too far away to “load.” So if an attack happens when everyone is at the top with no way for monsters to path to you the event basically just doesn’t happen? Like the circle will be on the map and any weather effects like a red sun will still happen but no monsters will attack and eventually it just ends.

Since you still need to farm on the ground you’ll want a portal at the top and bottom of the spire and walls just in case an attack happens when someone is down there (or if you just want to fight the event) but a farm is easy to fix if the worst happens.

Neither of us really enjoyed the monster attacks so being able to ignore them if we were able to appealed to us.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I usually just dig a moat, and then raise the ground up a bit on the inside of the moat. Makes a wall-o-dirt that stuff can't get through and I ignore most raids unless there's some drops I want. Once you're done with Moder, I think that's the trigger, there is one raid that's a bunch of flying wyverns that can still get at you but their damage is pretty low on structures so just stay inside and ignore them if you want.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
After annoying bats killed my pets for the x-th time and because I don't really appreciate moats or fulings and bugs chasing deers through the meadows and even though my main base is on a small isolated island, I am currently doing a run in which I revert to previous world save after I defeat the boss. I am still getting raids from Hildir's bosses though. Yes, I know I am cheating and I could probably just turn off global keys in the console.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Or just turn off raids in the world settings. My buddy got us a server going last night and I'm convinced he set the raids to some secret setting that makes them pop off constantly.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Turning off raids is very nice. And if you don’t wanna go that far you can set them to be player-based so people get raids based on their personal progression instead of it using the overall server status.

But yeah I’d just turn em off. These days all my bases are raidproof anyway.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I think disabling raids doesn't prevent enemies from later biomes spawning in earlier biomes, but I might be wrong.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I started a new game. I’ve now made an unnecessarily large circular building out of sticks. I have been raided by boars and necks four times.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

One very useful technique I've embraced is to use Build Camera to place wooden torches inside trees around your base. They burn out but continue blocking spawns, and so you can use this to invisibly push the base limits out and really limit the amount of random creatures wandering into your base.

e: putting them inside trees is important because it stops mobs from attacking them

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 30, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also if you're playing by yourself or only another person, you can probably just hop in a portal to wherever if there is a raid you aren't prepared to deal with.

(Obv only works post ~black forest)

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Wait, torches block spawns?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, as do any of the items on this list: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Player_base

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Wait, torches block spawns?
Yep. Torches, workbenches, fireplaces, and some other "base" items that I can't remember. Workbenches have the advantage of blocking spawns in the radius you can use the workbench (I don't know if increasing the radius via mods or add-ons increases the spawn block radius) so you can see your coverage, but have the downside of being fairly obvious. Torches and campfires, on the other hand, are pretty easy to conceal but you have to guess on your coverage. Also, noticeably cheaper to make en masse. Finally, I don't think mobs attack campfires, unlike torches.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

workbench (I don't know if increasing the radius via mods or add-ons increases the spawn block radius)

As far as I've been able to tell it does not

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yes, as do any of the items on this list: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Player_base

No I knew about the other one's but I've had so many torches outside of gates destroyed I assumed they didn't block spawns for the same reason they don't provide warmth.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ah yeah, they definitely do, but also any monster that sees it will sprint over and attempt to destroy it, even if it's not lit.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

On the topic of mobs wrecking stuff, is there anyone who knows anything about modding the game ai? If workbenches/torches etc didn't draw aggro get wrecked, it would be a bit easier to manipulate spawning, but still take some effort etc.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Teledahn posted:

On the topic of mobs wrecking stuff, is there anyone who knows anything about modding the game ai? If workbenches/torches etc didn't draw aggro get wrecked, it would be a bit easier to manipulate spawning, but still take some effort etc.
Campfires don't draw aggro and do suppress spawns, if that helps in the short term.

But no, I know nothing about modding AI.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've abused the Player Base effect pretty well in the past, here are my tips:

- The system works best on peninsulas or islands, like any base defense. The less land access the better. Small islands in particular are really easy to totally suppress.
- Put torches off the ground, like in trees. You'll have to put a 1x1 floor piece or a beam or something to place it on
- Put the torches/bench/fire/whatever further out than you think you need. Mobs will tend to wander in and make a mess of things
- If your base location allows it, put a 1m tall stone wall around the base but out of view. This will help prevent the wandering mobs from getting into the suppressed perimeter, and they're unlikely to aggro anything if the wall is far enough out. The only thing this won't prevent is those goddamn mosquitos, but luckily they have lowish aggro distance
- Any time there's a random event, pay attention to where mobs spawn and suppress that area more. It'll take a few rounds but eventually you can suppress the entire event spawn zone and ignore it forever.

Once you get the whole base zone locked down its magical. You can relax and your base starts to feel like home.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I just increase the radius of the workbenches to approximately 120 (from 20) which does a twofold effect of making my base radius pretty decent so I don't have to have like six of them in my compound and also removing the super close spawns.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Blocking spawns is noob behavior. We just bred 2 star wolves in our meadows and black forest main areas and just let them murder everything that DARES to spawn. Free materials for life. Lox hordes for Plains is hella fun.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Burns posted:

Free materials for life.

Well sure if you're too lazy to make a proper greydwarf farm

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Christ, Seasonality is beautiful

Burns
May 10, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Its neat and id like to see this in thr final game. That being said, winter in plains and meadows looks bad. They need to add snow or remove grass

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Yep. Torches, workbenches, fireplaces, and some other "base" items that I can't remember. Workbenches have the advantage of blocking spawns in the radius you can use the workbench (I don't know if increasing the radius via mods or add-ons increases the spawn block radius) so you can see your coverage, but have the downside of being fairly obvious. Torches and campfires, on the other hand, are pretty easy to conceal but you have to guess on your coverage. Also, noticeably cheaper to make en masse. Finally, I don't think mobs attack campfires, unlike torches.

you can bury workbenches by digging a 2m hole that fits the bench, placing it, filling it back up and leveling it, and being able to see the radius is handy for making sure you don't miss any spots.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Pork Pro

toasterwarrior posted:

Right?!

Turns out that if you have the "water freezes in winter" option enabled, ships will still be able to sail, which can lead to frantically sailing away from a train of mobs who can suddenly cross the ocean on foot.

10/10 in my book

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Althalin posted:

Right?!

Turns out that if you have the "water freezes in winter" option enabled, ships will still be able to sail, which can lead to frantically sailing away from a train of mobs who can suddenly cross the ocean on foot.

10/10 in my book

The mental image of thinking you’re safe from a troll because you got out to sea, and then thinking gently caress when it walks out there after you and bashes your ship with a tree is killing me :laffo:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Althalin posted:

Been enjoying the modpack, even if I got ganked thrice by a loving bear (twice when it was camping my literal start location, the furry rear end in a top hat, and once when it blindsided me while I was fighting a greydwarf shaman), so thank you very much to you and your buds for putting in the work. Anything specifically good about your server configs or wonky with the defaults? Things seem to be running okay.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Does the game really put blocking on Mouse 3 by default now? We're about to fight Yagluth and I just realized this entire time my friend has been doing dodge rolls by going into sneak mode mid-fight instead of dodging from block, apparently on account of never ever having blocked. :psyduck:

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 1, 2024

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Pork Pro

toasterwarrior posted:

Been enjoying the modpack, even if I got ganked thrice by a loving bear (twice when it was camping my literal start location, the furry rear end in a top hat, and once when it blindsided me while I was fighting a greydwarf shaman), so thank you very much to you and your buds for putting in the work. Anything specifically good about your server configs or wonky with the defaults? Things seem to be running okay.

Honestly the bears are one of the bigger things. Otherwise the config is mostly small tweaks for (perceived) balance, nerfing things like the Plateautem and Surtling Boats mods.

Bears by default can be tamed with carrots (struck me as odd), can spawn at elevations between 10-1000, require no world keys (boss kills), and will hunt the players as soon as they spawn. It seemed like a bit much, especially since we've got some newbies on the server; probably the biggest change I made to that config was requiring the Elder to be downed before bears start spawning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Vanadium posted:

Does the game really put blocking on Mouse 3 by default now? We're about to fight Yagluth and I just realized this entire time my friend has been doing dodge rolls by going into sneak mode mid-fight instead of dodging from block, apparently on account of never ever having blocked. :psyduck:

Yeah this was an unpleasant surprise to say the least when i popped back into the game recently after a big hiatus. Turns out having to reinvent rusty skills after being used to parrying stuff to death when the block button doesn't even work doesn't end well.