Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Oldest Man posted:

There are even some pretty funny (retrospectively) quotes in some of these articles where people came up with all kinds of justifications for putting a finger on the scale.

I am almost 100% sure that the unabridged version of that quote about moving away from model democracy to model meritocracy is very specifically about using a model's ability to match past historical data to weight the models in the averaging process. If a hot model says that there was a -5C difference between the years 2000 and 1800 then that is a good reason to suspect that its not totally accurate about the difference between 2000 and 2200.

But also like I said, if you put a snowball in an oven set to 300 degrees compared to 350 degrees it doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

I am almost 100% sure that the unabridged version of that quote about moving away from model democracy to model meritocracy is very specifically about using a model's ability to match past historical data to weight the models in the averaging process. If a hot model says that there was a -5C difference between the years 2000 and 1800 then that is a good reason to suspect that its not totally accurate about the difference between 2000 and 2200.

But also like I said, if you put a snowball in an oven set to 300 degrees compared to 350 degrees it doesn't really matter.

its also not very accurate when different feedback loops are kicking in one by one

there's physically different processes going on now vs 1800. at best we can find a model that matches the current heating regime we find ourselves in. melting and exploding permafrost isn't something you can account for by trying to find an accurate curve for a 1800-2000 model

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I remember the final season of Walking Dead and there was this walled community that seemed untouched by the zombie plague and subsequent material collapse. Despite all the surrounding communities living in various primitive and depraved states this one community still had functioning trains, stores, radio, hospitals...an actual still functional technological micro civilization with a civil bureaucracy to boot. I think people like that physics lady who are starting to realize poo poo is about to hit the fan think they'll make it out like that Walking Dead outpost that unbelievably retained modernity.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

the full article is here and covers a couple different approaches to not using or minimizing the influence of the hot models on the aggregate predictions https://www.science.org/content/article/use-too-hot-climate-models-exaggerates-impacts-global-warming

quote:

actually what im saying is that the last round of ipcc predictions looked at the problem and said "Well 350 degrees cant be right, we'll do x and y and z things to make these predictions better" and got a result of like 310. then more recently research has come out indicating its more like 340.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
rich people looking at the data, saying "this says were hosed it cant be right" and throwing out the data

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

when the ocean comes inside I will simply close the door

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Just realized how to make the rich care about climate change: show how it will impact some of their most cherished vacation spots

0 feet of sea level rise

10 feet

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Scarabrae posted:

when the ocean comes inside I will simply close the door

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i’ve started running in the hottest part of the day now. yesterday was 32c with 80% humidity and it owned

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
It always amuses me that discussion of different RCPs and SSPs or whatever never tends toward discussing the background extinction rate flying off the charts across basically every segment of the animal kingdom.

Ecological services are the IPBES's problem, not the ICC's. Totally different issue which I'm sure will be fine.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Just realized how to make the rich care about climate change: show how it will impact some of their most cherished vacation spots

0 feet of sea level rise

10 feet

they can just buy a different "vacation" spot, op

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It always amuses me that discussion of different RCPs and SSPs or whatever never tends toward discussing the background extinction rate flying off the charts across basically every segment of the animal kingdom.

Ecological services are the IPBES's problem, not the ICC's. Totally different issue which I'm sure will be fine.

Unfair. It also happened for the plant kingdom

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Car Hater posted:

When they ask for actionable suggestions you shrug and say :killing:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

lmao "get the door closed!" ~door and bystanders get immediately obliterated~

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

a conversation i had recently

me: man, it's such a warm winter and everything is loving out of whack and nobody is panicking
them: panic? why? that doesn't sound useful
me: "useful" is not the point. the point is that if people really understood the severity of the situation, and how this mild winter is a harbinger of terrible things, there would be widespread panic
them: why isn't "useful" the point? aren't you interested in tangible solutions that will be politically viable?
me: im interested in swerving the car so we can avoid going off the cliff, man
them: oh so you're not being serious about any of this, got it

and then i got accused of turning every conversation about the weather into climate doomerism lol

is it not possible that there is no solution that is both politically viable and also limits warming to, oh, let’s be super generous here and say 3 degrees C? what would they do then? (the answer is they wouldn’t do anything and you’re evil for forcing them to think about it)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

they will do anything except stop consuming

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
the mechanisms by which we could restrict emissions to stay at 3C are the same mechanisms we would use to keep it at 2.5/2/1.5, or even make it go down in the long run. Thus, they will never implement them.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

SixteenShells posted:

the mechanisms by which we could restrict emissions to stay at 3C are the same mechanisms we would use to keep it at 2.5/2/1.5, or even make it go down in the long run. Thus, they will never implement them.

well, they'll never willingly implement them

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

SixteenShells posted:

you know that, and I know that, but does thorn’s friend???

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Climate change

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Communist Cop posted:

Azolla Event
Blue Ocean Event
Wet Bulb Event
ARKStorm
Hypercane

And I'm gonna die from heat exhaustion before I see any of em :negative:

the true tragedy :smith:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dokapon Findom posted:

What is the range of sea level rise we can expect to see before 2050 (arbitrary date)? I guess 2030 is a more relevant timeframe considering how fast everything is moving

If there's anything I've learned from the last few years it's that sea level rise - long considered the main problem of climate change - is the least of our worries lol loving lmao

There's enough lag in the system that sea level rise will only come for us after climate volatility has finished off our agriculture. haha. hahahhahahahahahahAHAHAH

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

found a new horrifying wikipedia to read if you're a doomer slut like me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleocene%E2%80%93Eocene_Thermal_Maximum

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
everyone in this thread is a doomer slut

and i ache to be hosed by multiple horrifying wikipedia articles. thanks for posting

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
In some ways Israel is a climate war. The message being sent by the Euro-American Axis is that we will kill everyone. This is non-negotiable.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Microplastics posted:

everyone in this thread is a doomer slut

and i ache to be hosed by multiple horrifying wikipedia articles. thanks for posting

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

my copy of The Ends Of The World arrived in the post today and I am :stoked: for MF DOOM

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Seeing as this thread has now been taken over by doomer wreckers and malthusian ecofascists, I'll start putting together the QCS complaint thread ...

:sigh:

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Let's talk solutions

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Microplastics posted:

If there's anything I've learned from the last few years it's that sea level rise - long considered the main problem of climate change - is the least of our worries lol loving lmao

There's enough lag in the system that sea level rise will only come for us after climate volatility has finished off our agriculture. haha. hahahhahahahahahahAHAHAH

I want to move to an island and I'm trying to work out how much time I'll have to enjoy the beach

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

pen island will be the first to be swallowed

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

well, they'll never willingly implement them

we’ll get around to it eventually

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
scientists have been politely suggesting we cut emissions for at least 50 years, governments are still humming and hawing about it.

nothing will be done and I believe SCP 8.5 is optimistic

starkebn has issued a correction as of 00:59 on Jan 31, 2024

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

when i upload the video of the natural disaster that defeats me, there will be a watermark in the corner for unregistered hypercane 2

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

starkebn posted:

scientists have been politely suggesting we cut emissions for at least 50 years, governments are still humming and hawing about it.

nothing will be done and I believe SCP 8.5 is optimistic

That's RCP 8.5. SCP 8.5 is a being that consumes pure denial.

But yeah, there is not going to be any mitigation. Any renewable energy will just get sucked up by shitcoins and LLMs and will supplement and not replace fossil energy. Every economy will grow and their energy consumption with it.

Emissions will go down this century, but only because the human population will go down due to agricultural disruption and war. Humans won't stop, but it will be stopped.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

The solution to pollution is climate change

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

wonder if there's been any cool nurdle news recently. Love nurdles.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/millions-of-tiny-plastic-nurdles-spain-beaches-ship/

guess spain has a bunch washing up on shore now. Some container full of them got lost at sea. Owns.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/17/nurdle-collecting-plastic-pellets-beaches

bunch of nerds in the UK also love to go to the beach to collect them. Same, honestly.

love the little buggers. They're great. drake no 1 billion americans, drake yes 1 trillion nurdles

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

wonder if there's been any cool nurdle news recently. Love nurdles.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/millions-of-tiny-plastic-nurdles-spain-beaches-ship/

guess spain has a bunch washing up on shore now. Some container full of them got lost at sea. Owns.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/17/nurdle-collecting-plastic-pellets-beaches

bunch of nerds in the UK also love to go to the beach to collect them. Same, honestly.

love the little buggers. They're great. drake no 1 billion americans, drake yes 1 trillion nurdles

quote:

A spokesperson for Danish shipping and logistics company Maersk confirmed the "regrettable" incident to CBS News, saying the plastic pieces were in a container on the charter vessel Toconao. The ship itself is not owned or manned by Maersk, but the company was handling their containers.

lmao

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

*takes a deep breath of air filled with microplastics*

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hit Man posted:

*takes a deep breath of air filled with microplastics*

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

hell yeah brother let me get a hit of that good poo poo