Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

All the mechanisms that speed up free agency signings by placing restrictions on top end salaries, are anti labor. Period. People have just explained to you how suppressing the top player salaries has knock on effects for all players.

No one is suggesting that ensuring no restrictions on top salaries is the best way to increase compensation for the lowest paid players. Obviously there are more direct mechanisms to do that.

But these things aren’t mutually exclusive. The union can fight to raise minimums (and unionize the minor leagues!) while also fighting restrictions on top contracts. Some might call this concept Solidarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

All the mechanisms that speed up free agency signings by placing restrictions on top end salaries, are anti labor. Period. People have just explained to you how suppressing the top player salaries has knock on effects for all players.

No one is suggesting that ensuring no restrictions on top salaries is the best way to increase compensation for the lowest paid players. Obviously there are more direct mechanisms to do that.

But these things aren’t mutually exclusive. The union can fight to raise minimums (and unionize the minor leagues!) while also fighting restrictions on top contracts. Some might call this concept Solidarity.

If you fight to raise minimums and the owners' answer is to wipe out half of the affiliated minor leagues, there's also less competition for you in the long run because they've just potentially washed out guys who might compete with you for roster spots at some point.

Win/Win, motherfucker!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

aaaaa this pic sent me down one hell of a forgotten memory rabbit hole

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

live with fruit posted:

What percentage of the league does this even benefit? Three percent? Considering that there are over 700 players in the majors at a given time, it can't be a significant amount. Meanwhile, the union does the bare minimum to protect more vulnerable players. Blake Snell only getting 33 a year instead of 35 doesn't seem like some huge loss for labor in America.

What is the term "this" referring to, Boras clients holding out for superior offers?

If so, I'm unsure what that has to do with the rest of the post. Boras is an agent, unrelated to the player's union.

Not critiquing the take that the union heads and most influential players have weakened their position in recent decades, I'm just confused by the abrupt tangent I guess.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kalensc posted:

What is the term "this" referring to, Boras clients holding out for superior offers?

If so, I'm unsure what that has to do with the rest of the post. Boras is an agent, unrelated to the player's union.

Not critiquing the take that the union heads and most influential players have weakened their position in recent decades, I'm just confused by the abrupt tangent I guess.

The MLB system, in contrast with the NBA system.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Inspector_666 posted:

It also ups the QO.

Considering almost no one takes the QO, this doesn't do much

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Considering almost no one takes the QO, this doesn't do much

The QO also sucks for player compensation. Obviously, teams aren't going to blink at giving up draft pick compensation for signing an elite-tier free agent. But those mid-tier, non-superstar players? Suddenly teams get wary about coughing up a first-round pick to sign them, which depresses those players' contract offers.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Whoa, congrats Baltimore fans.

https://x.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1752470568442450047?s=20

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
hell yeah

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

The MLB system, in contrast with the NBA system.
the NBA system wildly distorts player compensation and is also really bad for competitive balance.

When every team can offer Lebron James or Kevin Durrant or any other superstar the exact same contract, these guys will pick their team based on where their friends are playing or who has the most stacked roster to chase rings.

If MLB implemented a max contract, the Dodgers would sign even more of the best players. All that would do is save Mark Walter some money.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Finally

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’m guessing the sale won’t go through in time for the Orioles to sign any of the top free agent pitchers this winter.

One last “gently caress you” from Angelos on the way out the door.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
drat congrats Orioles fans.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FREE AT LAST

FREE AT LAST

HALLELUJAH WE'RE FREE AT LAST

bawfuls posted:

I’m guessing the sale won’t go through in time for the Orioles to sign any of the top free agent pitchers this winter.

One last “gently caress you” from Angelos on the way out the door.

The article says there's no timetable for the deal to close, the two PE billionaires will only hold 40 percent of the team until the old geezer finally carks it, and they need to figure out what the hell is going to happen with MASN, so I wouldn't expect operational control to change until a year from now at the soonest.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lol one of the billionaires is behind the mobile home evictions featured on Last Week Tonight.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
One of them founded the Carlyle Group and did 9/11

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You can not have a ceiling without having a floor. This is why the union beats the drum about the Pirates and Ray's more than anything else.

Likewise, it's why ownership will point to record contracts to the smallest crowd of elites as proof that the system is actually fine.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

the NBA system wildly distorts player compensation and is also really bad for competitive balance.

When every team can offer Lebron James or Kevin Durrant or any other superstar the exact same contract, these guys will pick their team based on where their friends are playing or who has the most stacked roster to chase rings.

If MLB implemented a max contract, the Dodgers would sign even more of the best players. All that would do is save Mark Walter some money.

Isn't parity high in the NBA right now?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

lol one of the billionaires is behind the mobile home evictions featured on Last Week Tonight.

ABAB

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

live with fruit posted:

Look at the list of NBA Finals teams since 2015 and then ask that question again.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yes, many of them are assigned billionaire at birth. 99% top tax rate now!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Holy poo poo we're free from John Angelos

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

out of the fire and into the frying pan for O's fans. love to get bought by PE freaks

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

As much as I hate Peter Angelos for systematically destroying the club one a decade after it finally gets good, is this something I should be excited about? Should I be cautiously optimistic or ecstatic?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
camden yards gonna get stripped for parts

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

guess this is why Baltimore hasnt done anything so far

though PE might somehow be worse than Angelos'

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I would assume nothing changes until it does. A pair of PE execs isn't like Cohen and the Mets.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Orioles going into liquidation in within 5 years and get the branding bought out by some sketchy e-commerce company.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Basketball has an additional parity challenge in that the best team tends to win a given matchup much more often than baseball.

October baseball is barely more than random and that helps give baseball a lot of parity when it comes to who plays in and wins the championship.

In basketball an elite team is likely to make repeated title runs because they just don’t randomly get bounced in earlier rounds.

No one has won back to back World Series since the Yankees did it in 99-00.

Since 1999 the NBA has had the following repeat champions:
Lakers 00-02 (and the Spurs that won in 99 also won in 03)
Lakers 09-10
Heat 12-13
Warriors 17-18

There are also four different nonconsecutive Spurs wins in that span, another Warriors win, another Heat win, another Lakers win,and then a handful of one-offs

There was a four year stretch from 2015-2018 where the finals were Warriors v Cavs every year. Baseball didn’t even have it that bad back in the pre-expansion days.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 31, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's pretty funny to own a baseball team that is complete and utter dogshit for years, then have a great year and an actual future where you can actually be good for a while all of a sudden and then you sell.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It certainly underscores the obvious fact that Angelos does not give a poo poo about the team

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

feeling good about being a pre-sale bandwagoner :smugbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As someone who hated my team's previous ownership and was elated that the team was sold to someone else, be careful what you wish for. It doesn't always work out the way you think.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

bawfuls posted:

It certainly underscores the obvious fact that Angelos does not give a poo poo about the team

Never did

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Holy poo poo O’s let’s goooo

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

As someone who hated my team's previous ownership and was elated that the team was sold to someone else, be careful what you wish for. It doesn't always work out the way you think.

I'm not asking him to be Cohen. If he could commit to being even a middle of the road spender that would be wonderful

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

counterpoint: it kicks rear end

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

gently caress angelos. i just hope the new orioles ownership isn't like the current m's ownership

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I've been waiting 30 years for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Can’t wait to take my kids to Raytheon Park in a couple years, incur a hard credit check to buy a beer, and cheer for the O’s.