Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Probably a liability standpoint vs implementation.

Imagine some 16-year-old that claims they were pushing buttons to turn on the wipers during a storm...and well the drat thing went into park causing a skid and 10 puppies get thrown out into downed powerlines.

transmissions don't just lock up when going into park. the pawl will just ratchet over the gear until you're almost stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

chrisgt posted:

transmissions don't just lock up when going into park. the pawl will just ratchet over the gear until you're almost stopped.

It's more about the transmission being shredded apart rather than the car stopping. The pawl would probably just snap at highway speed

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

chrisgt posted:

Like I said liability. For push button controls, there will be a controller motor/module that controls the parking pawl/shifts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that's ok, in the future the car's ai will just decide when you probably meant to be in park, reverse, drive, etc.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Leperflesh posted:

that's ok, in the future the car's ai will just decide when you probably meant to be in park, reverse, drive, etc.

OK, Elon.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Standard column shifter supremacy

FTFY

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't forget lovely transmission control design is why we don't have Anton Yelchin anymore.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought most (all?) modern automatics were software controlled anyway and they won't actually put the transmission into park or reverse unless the car is stopped.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The whole point of having alternating push/pull buttons is that it's much easier to operate by feel, even compared to the old-style lever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kafouille posted:

The whole point of having alternating push/pull buttons is that it's much easier to operate by feel, even compared to the old-style lever.

Gear selection isn’t something that needs to be optimized in this way.

Besides, old school lever COULD be operated by feel because it was the same always. First indent is reverse, second is neutral which could be entered without pushing in the button, below that is drive.

PRNDL is an acronym for a reason.

loving with the operation of critical control interfaces that have real safety implications when they’ve been standardized for generations needs to be done with care and should really only be done with an explicit purpose.

Unfortunately the purpose in most of these cases is to make the interior cheaper to make and to give it a better visual style.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Give me a lever to control spark advance anyday over a touchscreen for gear selection.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

fins posted:

Give me a lever to control spark advance anyday over a touchscreen for gear selection.

I want a tiller for steering myself.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

bull3964 posted:

Gear selection isn’t something that needs to be optimized in this way.

Besides, old school lever COULD be operated by feel because it was the same always. First indent is reverse, second is neutral which could be entered without pushing in the button, below that is drive.

PRNDL is an acronym for a reason.

loving with the operation of critical control interfaces that have real safety implications when they’ve been standardized for generations needs to be done with care and should really only be done with an explicit purpose.

Unfortunately the purpose in most of these cases is to make the interior cheaper to make and to give it a better visual style.

The point is that having a big honking mechanical lever is distinctly unnecessary when all it's doing anymore is actuating some microswitches, even beyond cost it takes up a bunch of interior space in a fairly crowded location, and making the lever smaller makes it hard to operate by feel since the detents get too small and weak. As far as selectors go the alternating push-pull buttons are not a bad way to do it, it's not some Tesla touchscreen bullshit, and it's still PRNDL.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sagebrush posted:

I thought most (all?) modern automatics were software controlled anyway and they won't actually put the transmission into park or reverse unless the car is stopped.

They are somewhat flexible on what defines "stopped" in my experiences.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Toyota solved this with the Prius in 2004.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kafouille posted:

The point is that having a big honking mechanical lever is distinctly unnecessary when all it's doing anymore is actuating some microswitches, even beyond cost it takes up a bunch of interior space in a fairly crowded location, and making the lever smaller makes it hard to operate by feel since the detents get too small and weak. As far as selectors go the alternating push-pull buttons are not a bad way to do it, it's not some Tesla touchscreen bullshit, and it's still PRNDL.

Same argument can be made for turn signals and it leads to tesla’s bullshit.

The problem with that push pull design is the that R and D both FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME if you drop your hand down and miss the indent you are looking for. Unless you double check that there’s no indent above the indent you found, you have no way of knowing if you are about the trigger D or R and since those are directly opposite directions, that’s a pretty drat important thing to be sure about.

You also cannot tell what your current selection is based on feel. You have to look down and see the lights. You also can’t just blindly throw it into park, you have to feel down and hope you got the park button by feeling the shape rather than the neutral button.

It’s workable, but then you have the buick example which is something completely different. Then you have rotary selector on Fords. That’s the point. Once you free yourself of the few constraints you did have, everything is on the table and suddenly you have people making UX decisions about critical controls that may not actually have the proper experience to do so.

That’s where we were with the start of the automobile. You had things like the steering wheel, the tiller, levers and other wacky things. Then at we got to the point where most anyone can get into any vehicle and operate it with intuition. We’ve been drifting away from that more and more and we probably need to coalesce around a UX that makes sense for modern vehicles including electrics rather than doing all these ‘one of’ designs dictated by the person that styles the dashboard.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
A shift lever is just a cosmetic item that wastes space and constrains design if the transmission is electronically controlled. We still haven't figured out where the reverse gear goes on a manual shifter, the only thing that is bad about the push button shifter is that the handbrake usually turns into a parking brake button, but I suppose it's no worse than a parking brake pedal

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That is why the modern car needs a tiller.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
gimme a rod for mixture and a lever for ignition timing

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Give me a wheel of oaken wood, and a rein of polished leather.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

Toyota solved this with the Prius in 2004.

My S60 is up for reverse, down for drive, and down again for regen braking drive. Park is a separate button right by the gear selector

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
yeah but innovation no matter what just change something hurry

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Sagebrush posted:

I can confirm first hand that at least on a 2015 Lexus RX450h it’ll just go to neutral if you’re traveling forward until your speed drops below 7mph, then it’ll shift into reverse. Never tried going into park at that speed, though…

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Give me a rocket and a parachute

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

yeah most modern automatics I think are just computer controlled, no direct wired connection to the shifter. For sure any knob or dial is absolutely just a computer control.

The only thing that isnt anymore is likely the few remaining manual transmissions because they have to for how they function.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

How do I install ChatGPT on it to control my shifting

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

freeedr posted:

How do I install ChatGPT on it to control my shifting

Have I got some news about Volkswagen for you...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Jonny Nox posted:

I don't know if the Buick version is better or worse:

Lol GM parts bin, my Bolt has the exact same entire center console, except the "m" button is replaced with the toggle for one-pedal driving.

It's really intuitive and easy to use once you get used to it though, you can tell which button is which by feel, easier and better than a traditional column shifter for e.g. quick 3+-point turns.

I'm a little more partial to the Nissan Leaf's weirdo little... thing though, still really easy to use without looking, but more esthetically pleasing, imo. Down for drive, up for reverse, straight and hold awkwardly for a long time for neutral, push the top for P.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the worst one is the one in the current ford f150.

it's still a big stick in the center console, except it also folds down out of the way if you're just working inside the truck.

it's obviously computer controlled, so why is there a need for such a huge shifter, even gm's dash mounted thing is a better solution for working inside the truck

bonus: when it first came out, there were reports that the shifter would get jammed in the down position

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Wild EEPROM posted:

it's still a big stick in the center console, except it also folds down out of the way if you're just working inside the truck.

it's obviously computer controlled, so why is there a need for such a huge shifter, even gm's dash mounted thing is a better solution for working inside the truck

bonus: when it first came out, there were reports that the shifter would get jammed in the down position

Buy the XL next time for a boring column shifter instead of the Jerk Ranch edition.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Unpopular Opinion:

I quite liked my Jaaaaag’s rotary drive selector -

It was a decent solution and it looked cool when it popped up when the ignition came on. :colbert:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

AirRaid posted:

Unpopular Opinion:

It was a decent solution and it looked cool when it popped up when the ignition came on. :colbert:

I'm actually fine with that too, it's the brilliant Chrysler implementation that put the dial shifter uncomfortably close to all of the other dials for audio and climate controls that soured most people's opinions

And also how that specific Chrysler shifter's ambiguity was likely the direct cause of death for a rising Hollywood star

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
My biggest issue with the rotary knobs is that they put them right beside the radio and hvac controls, with the same texture as said controls. So if you don't look down you're not 100 percent certain of which control you had. This is an easy design fix, considering all you need to do is change the shape of the dial.

Then again my experience was working in the rental car industry when they first started appearing, and I only saw the first 1ish model year with them, so things may have changed.

The most troublesome was the dumbass shifter knob Chrysler and their associated companies put in. Where you couldn't tell what gear you were in and you needed to bump it up or down and sometimes it would respond and sometimes it wouldn't. And you could never be sure you were in park.

I'm pretty sure that's what killed Anton Yelchin.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AirRaid posted:

Unpopular Opinion:

While it's not exactly "normal" it follows the standard PRND layout and looks like it at least could have decent detents, so assuming it does I'd call it not bad. No one is likely to be confused by it, though I'm not sure how confident I'd be in the popup mechanism long term.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Wild EEPROM posted:

cause dudes with tiny dicks love to have their hands on a big honkin' shifter like it was their fantasy dick.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

St_Ides posted:

My biggest issue with the rotary knobs is that they put them right beside the radio and hvac controls, with the same texture as said controls. So if you don't look down you're not 100 percent certain of which control you had. This is an easy design fix, considering all you need to do is change the shape of the dial.

Then again my experience was working in the rental car industry when they first started appearing, and I only saw the first 1ish model year with them, so things may have changed.

They still had it next to the radio as of a couple years ago.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My wife’s escape has the rotary shifter and I HATE IT, but at least it’s got PRNDL with clicky detents and it’s on the center console instead of near the loving volume knob.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think a knob is inherently a bad interface for something like a transmission selector. If the knob has separate physical positions -- with a relatively large angle between them, and good detents -- for each of PRNDL, and the knob is shaped in a way that its set position is unambiguous -- say it's got a large ridge on it that points towards the setting, or it's pseudo-triangular -- then it could work alright. Even better if it has multi-input lockouts, like having to push the knob down before rotating into gear. It could be fine.

That isn't exactly how the Chrysler shifter works. The Chrysler thing is round and symmetrical, so there isn't a tactile indicator of where it's positioned, and there's no difference in feel from one shift to the next so you always have to either count the clicks (with no overrun prevention) or look at the indicator. It's also right next to the volume knob on the stereo. That's all stupid.

But it's still not the worst implementation. The worst is the old Chrysler system, which works sort of like a sequential transmission on a race car or motorcycle. The selector always returns to a center position, and you push it either up or down to shift through the sequence one step at a time. Click down once from P, that's R. Let it go back to center. Click down again, that's N. Back to center, click again, that's D. etc.

In ergonomics this is called a "monostable input.*" It's acceptable in a real transmission because there isn't likely to be a disaster if you pick the wrong forward gear by accident, and because you hardly ever need to skip a step in the sequence. The motion is always one click up or one click down.

Using it for a PRNDL selector is stupid and dangerous, because you skip around. You have to count clicks or look down at the readout to make sure you've selected the right step in the sequence. This creates an ambiguity about what the car is going to do after you make your input. Monostable inputs aren't inherently bad either; this is just an extraordinarily inappropriate use for one. Like deciding to steer your car with a pair of pushbuttons, or something. The interaction available with the interface doesn't support what the user actually needs to do.

Chrysler got hundreds of complaints but only recalled it after Anton Yelchin died. Tesla picked up the model and continues to use it to this day, because of course they do.

*other terms so you can impress your friends: something that locks in two positions, like a light switch, is a bistable input. if you have more than two positions and each one has a unique physical position, like a traditional transaxle selector, that's an indexed input.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

But it's still not the worst implementation. The worst is the old Chrysler system, which works sort of like a sequential transmission on a race car or motorcycle. The selector always returns to a center position, and you push it either up or down to shift through the sequence one step at a time. Click down once from P, that's R. Let it go back to center. Click down again, that's N. Back to center, click again, that's D. etc.

Jesus Chrysler