Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I know this is pipe dream stuff, but the only way I see state hood happening for Guam, or any of the other Pacific Ocean territories, is them joining Hawaii. Even if they combined Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands into one state, you're still only looking at like 250,000 people total, less than half of Wyoming, and separated by 1,000 miles of ocean.

Funny trivia, sort of: Guam's residents only became US citizens back in 1950 because the Navy found out it was a violation of international law to forcefully seize land from non-citizens, and they needed to grab a lot of it post WWII for their bases/facilities.

Guam's Commission on Decolonization, which was set up back in the 90's to figure out the statehood/status quo/independence question, is still no closer to having an actual vote than it was thirty years ago. Stapling the CNMI and Am. Samoa together with Guam would be a logistical nightmare.

Look at the distance from Guam/CNMI to American Samoa. Look at it. Now realize that you're likely looking at a map and not a globe, and figure in that traveling along the equator is something that adds time to any trip. And that's if you have a direct flight, which we do not, and would likely not have in the forseeable future. Not even going to touch the whole 'massively different culture' part of the issue.

Honestly the best way to go about it would be to invent a new classification, like 'principality' or some poo poo, where the current non-voting delegate to hte House becomes a voting delegate, and each territory gets 1 electoral college vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Do I understand this correctly that Musk was trying to get Tesla to pay him $56 billion for being its CEO? lol how patently obvious can you be?

Effectively, yes. The board of directors sets his annual compensation package, but Tesla's board is filled with Musk toadies (including his personal lawyer). A shareholder sued and the judge said that the board had been derelict in its duties.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

So this is the thing that Musk was trying to bury by claiming a successful human neuralink patient then

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

What does this neuralink thing do to you? I can see Elon offering it to make the blind see again, for a monthly subscription. Also as someone who's worked in agriculture his entire life I cannot see the point of his 'cybertruck'.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nothing, it's fake. It's about as real as when he had a dude dress up and pretend to be a robot years ago.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Fat Jesus posted:

What does this neuralink thing do to you? I can see Elon offering it to make the blind see again, for a monthly subscription. Also as someone who's worked in agriculture his entire life I cannot see the point of his 'cybertruck'.

imagine if robocop had sex with a truck, and the truck gave birth. now take that crime fighting super robot truck and slap a Tesla autopilot on it. now you've created the perfect killing machine...

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Just thinking here maybe something that weights as much as it does with the acceleration of a ferrari isn't a great idea.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Fat Jesus posted:

Lets you get a new cyber deck and reflex enhancing package for when you take merc jobs as a shadowrunner

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Did I gently caress up so severely that one of the most business-friendly states in the nation told me to gently caress off?

No, must be the woke mind virus actually

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Fat Jesus posted:

As Kalli said, it does gently caress all, but he's claiming that someday it will do stuff like link an amputee's brain to their prosthetic so it functions as a real limb. But you know, he's fundamentally nothing more than an unusually successful grifter soooo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rogue Elephant posted:

As Kalli said, it does gently caress all, but he's claiming that someday it will do stuff like link an amputee's brain to their prosthetic so it functions as a real limb. But you know, he's fundamentally nothing more than an unusually successful grifter soooo

He also says it'll allow people to control external devices like phones and computers with the power of their thoughts, like some sort of combination of telepathy and telekinesis, specifically citing cases like people suffering from ALS and other neurodegenerative diseases (gently caress you, Musk, I've watched three relatives die from ALS and they don't need your false hope).

In short, Musk is, once again, completely full of poo poo.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 31, 2024

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Fat Jesus posted:

Also as someone who's worked in agriculture his entire life I cannot see the point of his 'cybertruck'.

Horny nerds loved the original Romb Raider. Now Imagine: what if PS1 Lara Croft were a truck?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
We broke our all time high today by SEVEN degrees. 61, previous high was 54. Two weeks ago we had -60 wind chills.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Cat rubbed his face on a bike chain during a work call, couldn't stop laughing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are already devices that you can control - barely, poorly, but you can - using just your thoughts. Like it's demonstrated technology more than a decade old over two decades old now, drat.
https://www.nature.com/articles/laban.1115
This paper is from 2016, so we're nearly a decade past what's detailed there.

I assume Neuralink hasn't got that specific technology, but there's undoubtedly expired patents since this is medical tech that they can build off of. I doubt that they have anything that should actually be implanted in a human already, that seems like reckless nonsense, but it's not like the basic idea has zero merit.

And Musk's Tesla compensation package was set a long time ago, a lot of it was tied to performance (like, get the stock above x value) and at the time a lot of people including a lot of goons thought there was no chance he'd hit most of them. He even committed securities fraud and got hit by the SEC at one point for his tweets that were probably intended to manipulate the stock price just so he'd hit certain targets.

The reason it's valued at that many billion now is that it's a compensation package around stock, and the stock has gone up that much. At the time of the grant it was still absurd amounts of money, I'm just saying now it's like 5x more absurd than it used to be.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 31, 2024

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

So stinking cuuuuuute

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I get mad the way my phone enables advertisers to push marketing to me nonstop; not enough to, you know, stop staring at phone, but it is a frequent irritation, the idea of embracing a way for them to do that literally directly into my brain does not appeal.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Nervous posted:

So stinking cuuuuuute

Is he getting along with the puppy?

I really need to add in a real basic Outlook training to what I'm already training people on. Convert to pdf and save as pdf do very different things in Outlook and one is vastly easier to work with. Plus showing folks how to clean up conversations, make folders/filters, and how to sort from oldest to newest. I hate Outlook.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
He was bullying the puppy at first. Today the puppy got tired of his poo poo and started chasing the cat (Nermal) back and Nermal did not expect it. They aren't fighting or anything though and I'm still hopeful they'll warm up too each other.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Is he getting along with the puppy?

I really need to add in a real basic Outlook training to what I'm already training people on. Convert to pdf and save as pdf do very different things in Outlook and one is vastly easier to work with. Plus showing folks how to clean up conversations, make folders/filters, and how to sort from oldest to newest. I hate Outlook.

I support your training efforts, comrade

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Took me awhile to finally go see it but Godzilla Minus One fuckin slapped. Went in only knowing it was a Japanese Godzilla movie and did not expect what I saw.

Edit: the version I saw was black and white. Didn't even realize the movie came out in color first. The black and white made it feel like it paid homage to the original movies.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 31, 2024

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I was looking for a movie to watch last night and coming up empty so I looked at IMDB’s top 250 for ideas.

#1 is Shawshank - fine, awesome movie, seen it tons of times and it’s just as good every time.

#2 Godfather - sure why not classic film

#3 Dark Knight - …..huh? I like TDK but, top 3 all time??

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ah yes, the state famously hostile towards corporations

delaware

Joey Freshwater posted:

I was looking for a movie to watch last night and coming up empty so I looked at IMDB’s top 250 for ideas.

#1 is Shawshank - fine, awesome movie, seen it tons of times and it’s just as good every time.

Here's my hot take: the Reeves movie is better than any of the Nolan trilogy.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Joey Freshwater posted:

IMDb users are full of nerdy men. Their scoring is totally unreliable.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grozz Nuy posted:

delaware

My favorite is the newest one. It was a little long but I loved it. It felt like it took place in the world of Se7en

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Grozz Nuy posted:

delaware

The Batman is good but not that good

Well, except the 3rd one.. that one is not so great.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 31, 2024

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Joey Freshwater posted:

My favorite is the newest one. It was a little long but I loved it. It felt like it took place in the world of Se7en

That's the one I'm talking about, it's just weird calling it 'The Batman'. I appreciated that they actually made the effort of showing Batman doing detective poo poo. The Nolan movies more felt like he was just making action movies that happened to have Batman in them, Reeves feels like he understands the nature of those characters better while still finding a way to translate them into a more realistic setting.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grozz Nuy posted:

That's the one I'm talking about, it's just weird calling it 'The Batman'. I appreciated that they actually made the effort of showing Batman doing detective poo poo. The Nolan movies more felt like he was just making action movies that happened to have Batman in them, Reeves feels like he understands the nature of those characters better while still finding a way to translate them into a more realistic setting.

lol I thought you were talking about Christopher Reeves, who was Superman and I’m just an idiot

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol I thought you were talking about Christopher Reeves, who was Superman and I’m just an idiot

For real, everyone knows Robert Downey Jr was the best Batman.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I did the same thing. I thought Christopher Reeves and then I thought he was talking about the 60's Batman movie because I conflated Christopher Reeves with Adam West. To be fair, the 60's Batman movie rocks so I totally believe someone thinking that's the best one.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Woke up, made coffee, turned on HBO to see what's playing so I got something mindless to watch while drinking said coffee… and Fever Pitch is on.

I love how this was based off a book about soccer and they had to change the ending because the Red Sox won the World Series while filming.

Now the ownership is gutting the team in hopes of selling it. I love sports movies.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Android Apocalypse posted:

Woke up, made coffee, turned on HBO to see what's playing so I got something mindless to watch while drinking said coffee… and Fever Pitch is on.

I love how this was based off a book about soccer and they had to change the ending because the Red Sox won the World Series while filming.

Now the ownership is gutting the team in hopes of selling it. I love sports movies.

During the strike all the late night hosts had a podcast whose revenue paid the crew salaries of the various shows. It started off shaky, but once we got Colbert's story about owning a pair of Anastasio Samoza's pants and the hosts realized if they all just poo poo on Fallon for an hour, it became gold. They had a bit where anytime anecdotally Fever Pitch came up (which was a lot because its how Fallon met his wife) they would all stop and applaud like he was an Oscar nominee.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Android Apocalypse posted:

This was the movie they played for the jury pool last time I was in for jury duty.

I read Neil Gaiman's book of Norse mythology instead.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://x.com/Blizzard_Ent/status/1752131021246537827?s=20

T-Square
May 14, 2009

You know, I’ve played StarCraft and Diablo plenty (poorly) back in my day but I’ve never played WarCraft.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Warcraft 2 is a true classic. I still mutter random dialogue from that game as I go about my day even though I haven’t played it in like 25 years

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Warcraft 2 ruled, played through the campaign on my old Macintosh Performa. Didn't have the battle.net edition so my brother found a website where you shared IP addresses for hosting games, and man I just got wrecked on there. Everyone built so fast lol

The amount of micromanagement required for online games was tough. Starcraft made it easier by giving you queues for building things at least.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I didn’t start computer gaming till Everquest, think I missed out on a few good ones

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I remember when Warcraft came out and it was nuts. If you kept clicking units they would say different stuff!

Man, it was so cool when computer games had huge technological leaps like every year :( When Duke Nukem 3D came out we lost our minds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yes, 13 yr old me would sit there on my Compaq tower just clicking on the peon again and again and laughing at the dumb poo poo he said.

I also remember playing Diablo the first time at the same age and getting scared at the Butcher turning my dads office lights back on